Photo

Portrait for Abdel Adrian

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Illidan

Illidan
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

Based on the novel by Philip Athans, Abdel Adrian corresponds to the protagonist in Baldur's Gate, he is a human fighter.

But what is his portrait for the most powerful of Bhaalspawn !!?

"Adrian was physically very strong, reflected in his enormous, seven-foot-tall frame. He had long dark hair and generally evoked awe in anyone who saw him [...]"

http://forgottenreal...ki/Abdel_Adrian

Challenge for artists, good luck :rolleyes:

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

Abdel Adrian after a *real* Bhaalspawn (who happened to be a mage) got done with him:

Abdel.jpg

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#3 SpAE

SpAE

explodes into glitter when provoked

• 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

....so THAT'S what the chinchilla is!

#4 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:56 AM

Based on the novel by Philip Athans, Abdel Adrian corresponds to the protagonist in Baldur's Gate, he is a human fighter.

Wait, was the protagonist of Baldur's Gate an idiot?

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#5 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:29 AM

Wait, was the protagonist of Baldur's Gate an idiot?

Well, not really an idiot, but somewhat dull I think. Your typical 7 feet high sellsword :)
Pretty damn unstable from what I heard though, his alignment is probably chaotic neutral.

I still have to read the books, but reviews have not been very flattering and Philip Athans is not my favorite author either =/

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#6 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:55 AM

Abdel's IQ is roughly equal to a packet of ketchup and he violates laws of physics, common sense, and so on on a day-to-day basis, with an extreme dose of Gary Stu Syndrome. The best things that ever came of him were a couple of Mystery Science Theatre gigs-here and here. Be warned-the books are terrible.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#7 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

Abdel's IQ is roughly equal to a packet of ketchup and he violates laws of physics, common sense, and so on on a day-to-day basis, with an extreme dose of Gary Stu Syndrome. The best things that ever came of him were a couple of Mystery Science Theatre gigs-here and here. Be warned-the books are terrible.

That dumb? xD But he doesn't refer to himself in the third person, right? ^^
Is he on one level with Minsc?

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#8 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

He's quite a bit below Minsc. Up until 4E was announced, Abdel Adrian was the single greatest embarassment to DnD that ever existed.

#9 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

That's it, now I've definitely got to read this crap :D

#10 RedTyga

RedTyga
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

He's quite a bit below Minsc. Up until 4E was announced, Abdel Adrian was the single greatest embarassment to DnD that ever existed.

You know you're insulting the intelligence of pigs by posting that?

#11 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:40 PM

Heh. If I ever write post-BG2 fiction with Arkalian I'm going to tangentially mention her former acquaintance with Abdel Adrian, "about whom much is told but little is known, thanks to the slanderous fabrications of a couple of talentless hacks playing at being bards." ^.^

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#12 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

Here is how I imagine him. He has been criticized for how he is characterized in the novel, but I think it is alright keeping
in mind his heritage and that he works as a sellsword.

I would love a mini-mod where you start bg1 outside Candlekeep busy slaughtering some beings as a sellsword when someone approach you with the message that Gorion calls for you and that you must head back to Candlekeep.
You would then start at level 3 for example since the road as a sellsword must surely have given you some xp.
Hmmmm...I might even make this mod myself but after I created the Drizzt Saga Mod I decided to ease down
since the addiction to the baldurs gate game took over my daily life and nightlife as well :blink:

Well here is how I Illustrated his portrait in the game, a dark and gritty chaotic neutral berserker fighter.

abdel_bhaalspawn.jpg

Edited by flysoup, 24 February 2008 - 01:04 PM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#13 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

I read the books and I agree with Tempest. Such a disappointment. I bought them only because they were cheap and referring to BG -- I was curious. So, now I can tell anybody who asks - go on and read them! Really! They make a great laugh...
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#14 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

Here is another one of Abdel with a couple of mega sized weapon's looted in his adventures.

abdel_ink.jpg

Edited by flysoup, 25 February 2008 - 01:56 AM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#15 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

Well, having writing skills already sets any given hypothetical author apart from the guy who wrote the official BG novelization, as is paying attention to canon story... and obeying things like the laws of physics... and Charname is fresh out of Candlekeep with zero experience in the world at large, or am I playing a game with a different beginning and first two chapters than you?. This is all you need to know about the books.

Edited by Tempest, 24 February 2008 - 03:29 PM.

#16 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:16 AM

Here is a female illustration of the Bhaalspawn you all call CHARNAME, and I insist to call (him) Abdel :whistling: though in this case Abdelia. ;)

abdelia_ink.jpg

Edited by flysoup, 25 February 2008 - 03:19 AM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#17 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:45 AM

Nice stuff, flysoup. I really like the portrait. :new_thumbs:

And I have to agree with... the entire rest of the universe. The books aren't very good. And that's "not very good" as in bad.

...I think, actually, that my biggest problem with them was the way they turned from EPIC™ to low-level sword-and-sorcery business... most of the time. ToB is supposed to be a >20-level campaign, and then Abdel fights someone and is like "oh cool the guy has a magic sword!"

Eh, I dunno. It's been a while since I read them.

#18 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:10 AM

Great work, flysoup! :woot:

Did you really draw the portrait yourself? :Bow: It's frickin awesome. Very very dark though...

The full body pic makes him look like a hun. Barbarians 4TW!
I adore his female form. ^__^ That sword looks like it's been used a LOT.

#19 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

Great work, flysoup! :woot:

Did you really draw the portrait yourself? :Bow: It's frickin awesome. Very very dark though...

The full body pic makes him look like a hun. Barbarians 4TW!
I adore his female form. ^__^ That sword looks like it's been used a LOT.

Aight, I drew the portrait myself, I actually used a image from one of the comic panels in my bg tob final fight comic
and colorized it with new and darker colors/contrast.

It might be a bit to dark but blame my inner dancing demon's for that one :twisted: but I was inspired by Rembrants
old paintings at that moment with their dark vs light contrast.
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#20 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

Anyone with info/facts about Abdel's stats and abilities? (if there are any written)

Edited by flysoup, 25 February 2008 - 11:50 AM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"