Photo

The Umar Hills problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Velor

Velor
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:03 PM

Hello all, i see that this subject has been mentioned a couple of times but i didn't manage to solve the problem from the earlier postings.

So the problem is that the letter has been identified by bg tweaks identify all items so i don't see the cutscene upon reaching to umar hills.
I edited the ar1100.bcs to remove the check that the letter is not identified, then had the same problem with the npc not appearing in the inn so i changed the .bcs of the inn as well (ar1105.bcs) the npcs appeared talked for a while and then sent the other customers outside to talk in private, at this point i get a load and then everyone is gathered around the table no interface showing and nothing happens, examining the ar1105.bcs further i couldn't think of how to fix this as i am not familiar with modding and just got mixed up a bit with it to get unstuck from this situation.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Velor.

#2 Tajoumaru

Tajoumaru
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

I had the same problem. Before going to Umar Hills, get rid of the identified letter--the "broken-sealed" one. Keep the other letter. Use the following line to add the unidentified letter to your inventory: CLUAConsole:CreateItem("cbltcnt2"). Now go to Umar Hills, and everything should proceed according to plan.

#3 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

So the problem is that the letter has been identified by bg tweaks identify all items so i don't see the cutscene upon reaching to umar hills.

Not sure which version of BG2 Tweaks you're using, but it should have very specific code to not un-identify that letter: http://forums.gibber...amp;hl=cbltcnt2

#4 Velor

Velor
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

Thank you for the fast replies.

The create item command did indeed give me an unidentified letter, got the cutscene and the npc in the inn but still got stuck after everyone left the inn and i was left alone with the npcs to discuss the soubar problem, so i guess the two conditions i had removed earlier were the only protections against the identification anyway so my problem lies somewhere else :(

The readme for the bg tweaks says its version 6. The post you directed me was a good one year ago so i don't know why it got identified since i guess v6 is already the 'planned for next release' as mentioned.

If someone has some idea as to why i might get stuck at that point i will try to provide the info you need but i don't think i can get further on my own.

#5 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:59 AM

The readme for the bg tweaks says its version 6. The post you directed me was a good one year ago so i don't know why it got identified since i guess v6 is already the 'planned for next release' as mentioned.

I don't know how it got identified either, but almost certainly not due to g3Tweaks.

Coindidentally, I just played that tavern scene yesterday, and I too had a scene-hang. I also had another hang in the area with Charlotte did not spawn the animals and the ogre. I made the script change below, re-entered the area, and voila.

Try these steps:

1st: I hope you either backed up your original ar1100 & ar1105 files, or did not modify them too much. (If you hacked them too much, I can send you mine.)

2nd: You already did this, but ensure that
!PartyHasItemIdentified("CBLTCNT2") // Broken-Sealed Letter
is removed from both ar1100 & ar1105.bcs

3rd: This part you may have to do in several SoS BCS. (I had to do it in the area where Charlotte is.)
Cut/paste the code block in ar1105.bcs to the very top of ar1105.bcs:
IF
	 OnCreation()
	 GlobalGT("CbPlayerCanGoToSoubar","GLOBAL",2)
	 Global("CbSendWilletHome","AR1105",0)
 THEN
	 RESPONSE #100
		 ActionOverride("CBUHAKCT",DestroySelf())
		 ActionOverride("CBUHGVCT",DestroySelf())
		 ActionOverride("UHINN02",JumpToPoint([534.680]))
		 SetGlobal("CbSendWilletHome","AR1105",1)
 END

The key here is OnCreation(). It was discovered that in the past the some code can stall the game if it is run above a OnCreation() block. So to simplify things, just moved the OnCreation() block to the top of the script. (Don't do this for every script, only ones where things are stalling.)

4th/Last: Retry entering one of the two areas.
-- If you did NOT have the SoS vision when you entered Umar Hills with the letters, go to a saved game just before, and now go into Umar Hills.
-- If you DID have the SoS vision, go to a saved game just before entering the tavern.

#6 Velor

Velor
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

I checked out the version to see if we have the same one, the installation says its SoS 1.12.
I looked through the ar1105.bcs but there was no oncreation command, i cut the last code anyway and pasted yours on top but didn't work, also for the comment if i have heavy modified the bcs, i don't know how to insert the new bcs in the .ARE file so the modified just goes in the override folder where there was no ar1105.bcs to begin with, so if something doesn't work i just delete the modified from the override folder.

Also i haven't deleted the !identified line as i have an unidentified scroll with me atm due to the cluaconsole command.

Below is the code of my ar1105.bcs

[codebox]IF
Global("PaladinPlot","GLOBAL",8)
Global("BaronSpawn","AR1105",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("BaronSpawn","AR1105",1)
CreateCreature("PLMETR01",[915.281],12) // Baron Metrich
CreateCreature("PLMETG01",[941.210],10) // Metrich Footman
CreateCreature("PLFARM01",[999.351],13) // Lette
CreateCreature("PLFARM02",[885.352],0) // Lanka
CreateCreature("PLMETW01",[958.394],0) // Sorcerous Amin
CreateCreature("PLMETG02",[981.182],0) // Metrich Yeoman
END

IF
PartyHasItem("CBLTCNT1") // Letter of Introduction
PartyHasItem("CBLTCNT2") // Broken-Sealed Letter
!PartyHasItemIdentified("CBLTCNT2") // Broken-Sealed Letter
Global("CbPlayerCanGoToSoubar","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
FadeToColor([40.0],0)
Explore()
Wait(1)
SetGlobal("CbPlayerCanGoToSoubar","GLOBAL",2)
CreateCreature("CBUHAKCT",[942.272],0) // Lord Arvin Kothonos: Mage of Soubar - Arvin Kothonos
CreateCreature("CBUHGVCT",[1025.298],0) // Gaius Varros: Paladin of Soubar - Gaius Varros
ActionOverride("CBUHAKCT",FaceObject("CBUHGVCT"))
ActionOverride("CBUHGVCT",FaceObject("CBUHAKCT"))
ActionOverride("UHINN01",Deactivate("UHINN01"))
ActionOverride("UHINN02",Deactivate("UHINN02"))
CreateCreature("CBVINNIE",[603.609],12) // Vincenzo the Innkeep
CreateCreature("CBWILLET",[534.680],12) // Willet the Stableboy
Wait(1)
FadeFromColor([40.0],0)
END

IF
!IsActive("UHINN01")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
ActionOverride("CBVINNIE",DestroySelf())
ActionOverride("UHINN01",Activate("UHINN01"))
Continue()
END

IF
Exists("CBVINNIE")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
ActionOverride("CBVINNIE",DestroySelf())
Continue()
END

IF
!IsActive("UHINN02")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
ActionOverride("CBWILLET",DestroySelf())
ActionOverride("UHINN02",Activate("UHINN02"))
Continue()
END

IF
Exists("CBWILLET")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
ActionOverride("CBWILLET",DestroySelf())
Continue()
END

IF
Exists("CBUHAKCT")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Continue()
END

IF
Exists("CBUHGVCT")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Continue()
END

IF
Global("CbSendWilletHome","AR1105",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
ActionOverride("UHINN02",JumpToPoint([534.680]))
SetGlobal("CbSendWilletHome","AR1105",1)
END
[/codebox]

Also i don't know how things work but just for the extra info, searching for ar1105 popped up the following locations
ar1105.are : \CtB\over.bak
ar1105.bcs : \CtB\over.bak
ar1105.are : \SOS\over.bak
bAR1105.BAF : \SOS\SNIP
ar1105.BCS : \override (this is the one i created)

#7 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:39 PM

Your ar1105 looks very clean, so the OnCreation would not be the problem. So the solution might be simpler: before entering the tavern, do:
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CbPlayerCanGoToSoubar","GLOBAL",1)

If this doesn't work, I cannot see any other reason why the mod would not progress.

Oh, one other thing: try to pause the game just before Gaius Varros comes over to talk to you; then move your party far to the left, behind Vicenzo, BUT keep your main character in whatever location s/he is in.

Sounds strange but in my game that kidd Willet couldn't get by my party so he stalled the script.

...also for the comment if i have heavy modified the bcs, i don't know how to insert the new bcs in the .ARE file so the modified just goes in the override folder where there was no ar1105.bcs to begin with, so if something doesn't work i just delete the modified from the override folder.

You don't "insert the new bcs in the .ARE file", as it's already assigned. Any modified file is supposed to go into override folder, by game design.

Although you're using a game editor, I can tell you're still new to using it. Be careful whenever you change anything, and always back up the original (in Near Infinity, "back up" is called "Export")

#8 Velor

Velor
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:06 PM

I tried entering night or day, from the north or south door, with a party of only 1 person, killing everyone in the tavern, killing a patron in the way of the boy, blocking the boy so that it exits from the south door instead of the north, going fullscreen, well nothing worked :P

I tried to find what exactly happens at the spot im getting stuck but sadly i couldn't complete my 'investigation' :P

Well in cbwillet.DLG we got

[codebox]Text:
But it's your gold you'll be losin' ta-night. Don't matta ta me.
(StrRef:78271)

Action:
SetGlobal("CbTownCouncilWithPlayer","GLOBAL",11)
ClearAllActions()
StartCutSceneMode()
StartCutScene("CBUMARIN")[/codebox]

I couldn't find a cbumarin file when i searched so i don't know what exactly goes on here but somewhere there i must be getting stuck i guess afterwards it is supposed to resume at the same dlg here

[codebox]Text:
There ya go, Vince. Yer got's the inn fer yerself. Hopes ya happy with ta'nights bloomin' earnin's.
(StrRef:78272)

Trigger:
AreaCheck("AR4219")
Global("CbTownCouncilWithPlayer","GLOBAL",11)

Action:
SetGlobal("CbTownCouncilWithPlayer","GLOBAL",12)
JumpToPoint([534.680])
Face(12)
ActionOverride("CBVINNIE",StartDialogueNoSet("CBUHGVCT"))
[/codebox]

Do you know where i can find the cbumarin cutscene to get some clues as to why i get stuck? I am thinking maybe calling something like
ActionOverride("CBWILLET",StartDialogueNoSet("CBVINNIE"))
instead of going for the cutscene but im afraid that i will mess something up and won't be able to fix it later, hm but now that i look at it again i need something to pass the AreaCheck("AR4219") as well..

#9 -Tymlis-

-Tymlis-

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:56 AM

I'm having the same issue, the cutscene just hang, no one speaks and I'm stuck.
I have an unidentified scroll, and my CbPlayerCanGoToSoubar global is on 1, I had the Soubar dream while entering the Umar's Hill area.

When I come into the tavern, the screen fade to black, the dialog initiate, the little stable boy walks in the room and then get out, another fade to black, we all are around the table and... nothing.

My ar1105.bcs file is exactly the same as the one pasted by Velor, I did not edit it.

What may have caused the problem is that I'm playing a multiplayer game (not online, just on my machine, in order to create not only one character but several). And I changed the main character after having found the sealed letters, maybe some character vars were lost ?

Anyway, I'll try some digging in the LUA code, I'm absoltly no expert but maybe following what should have happened, skipping the cutscene and reallocating the value could work...

If anyone got any idea or if you want me to provide some more information, I'm here !

#10 -Tymlis-

-Tymlis-

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:50 AM

I have found a way around my problem, reading code and playing with the LUA Console.

Is here what I did with the ingame LUA Console, without editing any files :

//In order to not instanciate the dialog in the tavern
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CbPlayerCanGoToSoubar", "GLOBAL", 2)
//No more bugging from the little boy
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CbSendWilletHome","AR1105",1)
//Where the dialog should have ended
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CbTownCouncilWithPlayer","GLOBAL",11)
//Go to the empty tavern and start the dialog like it should have been
CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR4219")

And then you'll have to listen to the two guys telling their story, telling to the paladin that you liked the meal, repeating the same thing to the mage, taking a nap, going outside and speaking again to those two same guys. They will update your map and you'll be good to go.

Hope that helps