Strange crashes and CTD

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

Well it is not Indira 10.3 because I have the same version and she is fine, no messy strings or CTD. Is it possible that your Nythrun fixes altered her? That may be probable especially with custom NPC's that modify stats or something. Does Nythrun fixes create a backup? I didn't think of that before and it would be nice if that fixpack created backups since I have seen two instances of CTD's attributed to that.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#22 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

Yeah I was wondering if there was a Nythrun backup as well. The game has a dialogue.tlk entry for the original (maybe modified) Indira.cre, but when I put the one in from the backup Indy folder it doesn't recognize it as that original (so her sounds and dialogue etc. don't play). I wondered if there was a way to trick the game into using that string. Maybe if I opened up the cre in dltcep and put in the string link - if that is possible. As it stands, just picked her up and left her in the FA Inn.

#23 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

Finally almost finished with BG1. I've made it to Icewind Dale and Drizzt saga. Big problem though when I enter the cave to fight Jarlaxle and company - ctd or game just freezes and have to restart computer. Some SPOILERS here if you haven't played it.

The area is : F_9797

It goes as follows:

1)enter cave, right away Errtu casts 3 spells. Vamp touch, death gaze, hold person.

2)Cattie-Brie has one talk and then joins.

3)Immediately after Jarlaxle gives 2 talks, then casts spell.

4)Artemis goes invisible.

5)Game freezes for 2 seconds then 4 summoned Drow warriors show up.

6)CTD immediately after (no time to run out of room)

Have tried cntrl-y on everybody one by one (with numerous reloads), then all at once and still ctd. I'm thinking its a messed up spell but don't know how to check that. (because even when everyone is dead the spell orbs/blobs are still moving toward party.)

#24 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:53 PM

Don't you love it when you get a CTD fixed and then get another? My only suggestion is check the BCS for that area if that is how the extra fighters show up and remember their names. CLUA them in somewhere and see if you got a bad CRE. That is how I found my crash culprits in the Planar Sphere mod (26a mess that I had). If Artemis is invisible then he may be trying to backstab so I don't know if his weapon is scrambled or if that would even be a cause.

FYI: Cattie Brie has been messed up in my installations twice, the same both times. Her voice sound is the same as a demon or T'anarri or something stupid like that. She is in your party and are you selecting her and giving actions?

What happens in the text box before the crash? Try and grab a screenshot right before the crash. I did that part in my game and had no issues so maybe we can find something from there.

Edited by Hoppy, 02 May 2008 - 02:59 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#25 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hi Hoppy. Yeah I was psyched I finally finished Northern citadel and then NTotSC without more crashes. Thought I was free and clear now :angry:

Cattie brie does have that growling soundset, odd (checked with NI and it says she has her own soundset). I can pause game very quick after Jarlaxle gives speech to check out her stats. I thought it might be her weapon or something carried, but the ctd occurs before anyone can get a shot off.

I'll try the cres as you said, then if that doesn't help will try a screenshot. Will keep you posted.

#26 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

Ok, the problem is Jarlaxle. (F_JARLAX.cre) Once again he talks, summons buddies, casts something, and bam - ctd. Couldn't take a screenshot because whole computer freezes up and have to restart.

I can't find where the lines are where he summons his buddies in the any of the bcs. (he summoned them no matter where he was clua'd)

1)override script - P5#DIECO.bcs (I think thats pro5's tweak to drop items on frozen death)

2)class script - F_JARLAX.bcs

3)general script - BPWTSIGT.bcs

4)default script - DPLAYER.bcs (something about anti paladin and regaining class if fallen paladin)?

5)dialog - F_JARLAX.dlg

Edited by maximus2001, 02 May 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#27 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:21 PM

Ok, the problem is Jarlaxle. (F_JARLAX.cre) Once again he talks, summons buddies, casts something, and bam - ctd. Couldn't take a screenshot because whole computer freezes up and have to restart.

I can't find where the lines are where he summons his buddies in the any of the bcs. (he summoned them no matter where he was clua'd)

1)override script - P5#DIECO.bcs (I think thats pro5's tweak to drop items on frozen death)

2)class script - F_JARLAX.bcs

3)general script - BPWTSIGT.bcs

4)default script - DPLAYER.bcs (something about anti paladin and regaining class if fallen paladin)?

5)dialog - F_JARLAX.dlg

You will see that I do in a few moments when the last thing you witness is my handsome grin as you die!

SetGlobal("F_finalfight","GLOBAL",1)
ReallyForceSpell(Myself,WIZARD_BLUR)
ReallyForceSpell(Myself,WIZARD_STONE_SKIN)
ReallyForceSpell(Myself,WIZARD_DETECT_INVISIBILITY)
ReallyForceSpell("F_ARTEMIS",WIZARD_BLUR)
ReallyForceSpell("F_ARTEMIS",WIZARD_HASTE)
ReallyForceSpell("F_ARTEMIS",WIZARD_STONE_SKIN)
ReallyForceSpell("F_ARTEMIS",WIZARD_INVISIBILITY)
ActionOverride("F_ARTEMIS",Enemy())
Enemy()
CreateCreature("F_DROWAR",[454.333],0) // Drow Warrior
ReallyForceSpell([PC],WIZARD_GREATER_MALISON)
ReallyForceSpell([PC],WIZARD_HOLD_PERSON)
ReallyForceSpell([PC],WIZARD_CHAOS)
ReallyForceSpell(Player1,WIZARD_TRUE_DISPEL_MAGIC)
ReallyForceSpell(Player2,WIZARD_TRUE_DISPEL_MAGIC)
ReallyForceSpell(Player3,WIZARD_TRUE_DISPEL_MAGIC)
ReallyForceSpell(Player4,WIZARD_TRUE_DISPEL_MAGIC)
ReallyForceSpell(Player5,WIZARD_TRUE_DISPEL_MAGIC)
ReallyForceSpell(Player6,WIZARD_TRUE_DISPEL_MAGIC)

Save your F_Jarlax.dlg, then modify it to take out different parts of the actions to see which is causing the CTD. Start with removing the CreateCreature Drow Warriors, and if that doesn't do it, copy the saved dialog file back in and delete the different sections of ReallyForceSpells, etc to see which lines are causing the CTD.

Edited by erebusant, 02 May 2008 - 06:25 PM.

It takes a village...

#28 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:34 PM

Thanks Erebusant. I found the jarlax.dlg in data/dlg-bif with NI. Then I deleted the lines you said and saved it to override, but its not saving the changes.

Heres what I did:

I opened the file with NI. Hit state (on top), then select attribute. The section you quoted showed up when I clicked on the last line. Then I just deleted the force spell - dispel magic lines and saved. It saved to the override folder ok, but the dispel magic lines are still there. Am I missing a command or something?

#29 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

No, click on the action box that has all that code (bottom right). Action (0) is if you have Drizzt killed. It should be in State 4 (last one) Action (1).
You will see all of the code and click on the action tab. That gives you the options of all of those to remove or add. Once you remove one then you can save it.

- King Diamond

#30 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

Thanks Erebusant. I found the jarlax.dlg in data/dlg-bif with NI. Then I deleted the lines you said and saved it to override, but its not saving the changes.

Heres what I did:

I opened the file with NI. Hit state (on top), then select attribute. The section you quoted showed up when I clicked on the last line. Then I just deleted the force spell - dispel magic lines and saved. It saved to the override folder ok, but the dispel magic lines are still there. Am I missing a command or something?

After you delete the lines, but before you save the file, you need to click on the "update" box. Then save to file to override. Be sure you have a saved copy of the original dialog before you do anything, though, so you can revert back if the changes make no difference.

It takes a village...

#31 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

@erebusant
Darn, forgot to say the update thing. Yes backups are mandatory with this kind of stuff. I am wondering why max2001 is having these CTD's in places that I don't. Our installs are quite similar. Except for Nythrun Fixes but you are using them as well correct?

- King Diamond

#32 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

Aaagghh. I've followed your instructions Hoppy, thanks it saves correctly now. Also erebusant I now use the update tab then save to override. However, I've taken everything out except:

Enemy()

It still crashed one second after Jarlaxle/pc dialog ends (even though he is alone and no spells cast). Maybe its a weapon or armor problem with him? Although it crashed before anyone in party (or Jarlaxle) hit anything.

#33 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

Maybe he is attacking? You may try and load those creatures via DLTCEP and see if they come up with errors. Again that helped me with Planar Sphere mod older versions.

- King Diamond

#34 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

In DLTCP I loaded up the items for Jarlaxle and Artemis, and checked cres for Jarlaxle, Art, Errtu, and drow. The errors were:

1)Artemis short swd (F_ARTSWD) said "non equipping effect in equipping effect #5"

2)Potion xtra heal (POTN52) on Jarlaxle said "useless duration set in extended header #1/1"

3)Storm Gt st potion (POTN06) on Jarlaxle said "max stack was set more than 100"

4)All drow cres (F_DROWAR, F_DROMAG, F_DROWPR) said "empty death variable" though only the F_DROWAR are summoned by Jarlaxle.

#35 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

Same as me on all of those and they sound cosmetic anyways (probably from tweaks?). The death var. are missing in my drow dudes as well, so that's not it. And you said that even ctrl+y kill them all still ended up crashing? I assume you are auto pausing to ctrl+y everyone?

Who is in your party?

- King Diamond

#36 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:39 PM

Its pc, Drizzt, Wulfgar, Bruenor, Dynaheir, and when she joins up Cattie Brie. For the test though I'm outside Jarlaxle's lair cluaing him in.

Yeah, right after dialog if I pause I can cntrl-y Jarhead and would still get the crash. I'll try it again.

#37 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:57 PM

No joy. Even killing him immediately after talk. Also tried copying the jarlaxle.cre from the Driz Saga folder and same problem. I don't know if it affects it but on main page in NI -

Response 4 - Flags: ( Action(2) Terminates dialog(3) )
Associated text: No such index
Journal entry: <NOTEXT>
Trigger index: 0
Next dialog: None
Next dialog state: 0

Response 5 - Flags: ( Action(2) Terminates dialog(3) )
Associated text: No such index
Journal entry: <NOTEXT>
Trigger index: 0
Action index: 1
Next dialog: None
Next dialog state: 0

If that's not it could someone post their working dlg file or PM it? Here is mine.
Attached File  F_JARLAX.DLG   2.76K   114 downloads

#38 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:31 PM

If you used mine the strings would be messed. Apart from that, it looks exactly the same. Can you set the global
SetGlobal("F_finalfight","GLOBAL",1) right before he talks? Say if you pause game and then CLUA him, his dialog may not start but if it crashes again right there, it is one of the spells I believe. He casts a lot of stuff in that block.

New clue:
This is weird, Catti's short dialog right before she joins says this in last action:

That Global seems to be getting set twice. Maybe delete hers in F_CATTI.DLG . Or you can try the same in Jarlaxle's. Either way that global gets set, so maybe delete the global for the first dialog that takes place since it will be set by the next one.

Well at least there is no area script to look at too :wacko:

- King Diamond

#39 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

Thats the bugger! You are right Hoppy, I just tried cluaing that global without anyone around except the party and got the same ctd. So setting the global does it. How can you fix that?

#40 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

Try and delete that global from Jar's and Catti's DLG. If stuff doesn't happen in the actual battle area, then we will burn that bridge when we come to it.

- King Diamond