Photo

Strange crashes and CTD

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

Fantastic! Deleted those lines with both and it worked fine with the final battle. Looted everyone and walked outside where I think you are supposed to meet a "robed character that teleports you to the mountain of the dead". He doesn't show up outside the drow cave I'm guessing because the final fight global 1 isn't set. But I tried setting it again outside the caves and it freezes again. Can I just clua in this robed guy? Do you know the code Hoppy?

Edited by maximus2001, 04 May 2008 - 01:25 PM.

#42 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:35 PM

Holy shnikees. That may be the dude that causes the problems. There are 2 F_ROBED.CRE and F_ROBED2 so he must spawn at the start of the battle but we don't see him until exiting.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#43 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

F_ROBED.cre (15th level LE monk) crashed the game. Didn't try F_ROBED2 (20th level LE monk) it looks like thats part two. (he maybe betrays you later?).

Checked both with dltcp and no errors. Maybe something with the dialog again?

Oh and he only carries RINGLOUP item, in dltcp it says <not available> next to the name but it loads ok and has no errors.

Edited by maximus2001, 04 May 2008 - 02:15 PM.

#44 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

I have no idea now. Can you just replace the number 1 guy with the original from the D Saga file? Or see what his dialog looks like. Don't worry about the second guy as I think you run into him later and may not be an issue I hope.

Just for clarification, the reason why your game crashed at the battle was because that guy spawns (via some script) when the Global sets. His dialog may have a trigger for that same global.

Edited by Hoppy, 04 May 2008 - 02:19 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#45 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hoppy I owe you! :Bow: I think I restarted my computer about 30 times over the last few days. Finally it worked. Once again you were right - took the ROBED.cre from the Saga folder and it was fine (except the messed up name/strings of course). The dialog was fine too, plus I had already read it in NI. Must be Nythrun/biffing error once again. GAME ON!

#46 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

GAME ON!! :ph34r: :P

I have got to research these Nythrun/biffing things so that I know what the hell I am talking about instead of blaming it all of the time :ermm:

I hope it is the last one you see! Good Luck!!

- King Diamond

#47 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:17 PM

No problems. I will PM you about the payment for my services :lol:

- King Diamond

#48 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hoppy I owe you! :Bow: I think I restarted my computer about 30 times over the last few days. Finally it worked. Once again you were right - took the ROBED.cre from the Saga folder and it was fine (except the messed up name/strings of course). The dialog was fine too, plus I had already read it in NI. Must be Nythrun/biffing error once again. GAME ON!

Well it seems the benefit of using the Nythrun fix to resolve item file read errors is far outweighed by the number of .cre files it's screwing up. I'd reccomend removing it from use.

It takes a village...

#49 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

I have got to research these Nythrun/biffing things so that I know what the hell I am talking about instead of blaming it all of the time :ermm:

What is Nythrun/biffing?
I've never heard it before, unfortunately.

Greeting Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#50 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

What is Nythrun/biffing?
I've never heard it before, unfortunately.

Greeting Leomar

Not sure, but I think it is an exe and TP2 that players custom install. I think he/she can be found regularly at gibberlings3.

- King Diamond

#51 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

Not sure, but I think it is an exe and TP2 that players custom install. I think he/she can be found regularly at gibberlings3.

Ah, at G3 there is a modder named Nythrun. I'll inform me.
Thanks again, Hoppy.
And thanks for your advice, erebusant.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#52 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

Nythrun.exe (weidu) is to used to fix broken creatures and items. I learned about this from erebusant - he knows a lot more than me about it. You can run it several times during your install at different parts so it can fix things that might screw up the game. However, in my install at least it was responsible for screwing up several creatures which caused a ctd. Lure of the Sirine pirate in the Lighthouse, three of the cres in Northern Citadel(NTotSC), the dragon from DSotSC, and this one (Drizzt Saga). They were fixed by replacing the original from the mods folder into the override.

I'm undecided whether to use it again, because it might have fixed more things than it broke (I don't know what it fixed). I defer to erebusant's judgement, he is familiar with it.

The biffing part I meant to refer to the End-Biff. As we now know biffing area files or scripts can sometimes screw up some areas when the game doesn't find them.

I blame either of them when I get a ctd. :lol:

Seriously though, in this install it was one or the other causing the problem. I did have to use end-biff because I had bad stutter in the very start of the game, which happily went away. I will keep my fingers crossed because I haven't even gotten to BG2 yet. ;)

Edited by maximus2001, 04 May 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#53 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

I am only happy with the End Biff if it makes backups or the uninstall method (extra 2GB). I think if the override gets over 1.5 GB then the stutter or choppiness begins. Even with biffing, if you get bad areas or creatures then they are biffed and you can't tell until the moment you get one.

I still don't know if erebusant has had great success with them. The idea sounds fantastic, just not practical yet? Maybe it has something to do with installing it more than once? Ideally, it can be a one time install-fix the files-make backups- and then if it made a bad file, you have the backup to use and strings will not be screwed up. Then you can fix your game as you play, plus still be able to replay the game without having Indira with totally useless string references (for example).

- King Diamond

#54 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

I agree with that. During the install I did use the backup option for the biff. In my case though Nythrun affected the stuff in the over end folder anyway, so I had to use the originals from the mod folders to replace cres.

Also, Nythrun Strikes Back. In the end battle of Drizzt saga I had to replace ROBEDA.cre for area F_9898 to load without a ctd.

#55 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

I guess we kind of saw that coming :lol:

- King Diamond

#56 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

Installing Chores FF got me past a stalemate on the third day of chores. The change to BG2 and Chateau Irenicus was fine. Now when I enter the Copper Coronet get a weird ctd. It's weird because it ctd differently each time I enter.

1)Get a crash right when entering.
2)Get a crash when Cecile and kid have a talk and kid walks away(Dingo quest pack)
3)Get a crash when Yoshi/Kachiko appear next to Cecile.
4)Get a crash when walk past Yoshi, and get this - everyone dissappears in a blink from CC, then get a ctd. Whaaat?

#57 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

Hmm, guess what. Return of the Nythrun.

Replaced "ddogre01" (from TDD) and "O#Arudin" (Dungeon Crawl) from their respective folders. Presto it works. Funny thing is that Nythrun modified the Arudin.cre multiple times but the ddogre01.cre only once.

Ended up cluaing 51 cres to find the culprits. I thought about reinstalling the whole damn thing, but it might actually be faster for now to spend a few hours fixing stuff instead of a day or two installing the megamod. That makes sense only if there aren't a lot more errors, we will see... <_<

#58 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:25 PM

I wonder if it is the multiple installations of Nythrun's stuff. If it patches it once, why doesn't it leave it alone? Well you aren't getting crashes with items and spells right? Maybe when you do another install, leave the creature part of it out, if that is possible. I still haven't researched them really.

That really sucks too, to rebuild the CC because there is so much s*** going on in there. I had one problem in another install where CUV's Kiss Before... wiped the whole BCS out. All NPC's were gone (quest and joinable). I rebuilt it to working status but it was hard.

Edited by Hoppy, 10 May 2008 - 08:28 PM.

- King Diamond

#59 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

Since I'll probably reinstall for the 3rd time in a week a little update. Nythrun the Phantom Menace - the docks in Athkatla was the last straw, not sure which .cre it was. I gave up at that point. Just wondering if erebusant or Melkor had any more ctd as well in BG2 part.

@Hoppy - the CC was chock full of new characters from all the mods. Throw in the souped up guards, extra guards and spawns and it was nuts. I give you credit for putting Humpty dumpty back together again! BTW what mod causes people to wander around, or neutrals to bolt if a fight starts? Trying to take the party anywhere was slow because of all the commotion there. They had to dodge all the patrons who would walk right into them or block them.

Edited by maximus2001, 17 May 2008 - 10:53 PM.

#60 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

Well you have your NPC's from TDD and SOS. Plus DC has those crazy characters which leave once you do the quest. Food mod adds a server that moves a lot and the massive amounts of NPC's that go there or spawn there. The place looks like a really fun party. The people fleeing in fights is probably due to the script and SHOUTS. If they are close enough to hear enemies' cries for help or battle cries, they may become scared or red even depending on what they are scripted.

- King Diamond