• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, someone really needs to write a batch BMP to BAM converter. Could probably be done with WeiDU but my brain goes all jellylike (more so than it is normally) when I think about doing it.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#22 --Bruno--

--Bruno--

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

Just chiming in to say thanks to the author for making this.

Playing at a high resolution and the text was unbearable, and I have great eyesight.

#23 Corvias

Corvias
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:51 PM

Just chiming in to say thanks to the author for making this.

Playing at a high resolution and the text was unbearable, and I have great eyesight.

I appreciate your thanks. Knowing that folks are using it and it's helping, makes the effort involved worth it. I suppose that's how a custom content community stays alive in the first place.

#24 Corvias

Corvias
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:49 AM

OK, So I bit the bulet and decided to take another crack at BG2 font making. I am pleased to say that I have made the process of getting the character images into a properly arranged BAM trivial, thanks to photoshop's automation, and the wonderful autoit3 scripting language. I have also worked out the palette issues that made my first large print font very aliased. The only tedium involved at this point is the calibration and alignment of the characters in game, and even that isn't too bad.

The new version on my large-print font is actually somewhat smaller than my last (some considered the original to be too big), but still very readable at high resolutions (I play at 1440x900 with the biggs's widescreen mod), and for folks with visual impairments. This new one is nicely anti-aliased, and based off of DejaVu Serif Condensed, so it won't be quite so wide either. It's very much akin to the nice in-game font that comes with Tortured Souls, just bigger.

I've got all the characters in, and so far they look great in game. I just need to do the alignments and spacing. It should be ready in the next day or two.

After that, I think I will work on a large sans-serif replacement for the float-text font, and the tooltip font.

Edited by Corvias, 26 July 2008 - 06:52 AM.

#25 DCB

DCB
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

Just tried this out in BG2. Nice work Corvias, but it's a tad giant even at 1920x1080 (I'm using the widescreen mod - found your link to this thread over at G3). Did you make any further progress on your revised version?

Edited by DCB, 27 December 2008 - 11:15 AM.

#26 Corvias

Corvias
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:43 AM

Just tried this out in BG2. Nice work Corvias, but it's a tad giant even at 1920x1080 (I'm using the widescreen mod - found your link to this thread over at G3). Did you make any further progress on your revised version?

Grrr! I just keep falling off the face of the earth! I did finish redoing the main game font, the tooltip font, and the floaty font. The new main font is smaller than my last one -- I agree it was a bit too big! I'm balancing a full-time job and grad school atm, but I will find time very very soon to package my work up and release it. The new fonts are better than my last attempt, and anti-aliased properly. At some point, I also want to release a tutorial on how others can do this on their own. I created a couple of Autoit macros to automate the process somewhat, as BamWorkshop is not suited to doing batch work. I'll release those too. One caveat though: the game renders the fonts differently in 2d mode and accelerated mode,. I've only tested these in 2d mode (I do most of my windows stuff in a VM, which dosen't support 3d acceleration). I'll probably need someone to test these in 3d mode to see how they do.

Edited by Corvias, 23 January 2009 - 12:22 PM.

#27 DCB

DCB
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

I've only tested these in 2d mode (I do most of my windows stuff in a VM, which dosen't support 3d acceleration). I'll probably need someone to test these in 3d mode to see how they do.

I finished a run through SOA a week or two ago, mainly to try out the deArnise romance mod. I always enable 3D acceleration. I didn't notice any problems with your released font mod, aside from the aforementioned size.

#28 Corvias

Corvias
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:41 AM

I had tuned the old one to work on both. (see earlier in this thread). I need to write a readme, but here's a quick screenshot at 800x600 res to tide you over. I promise I will release this this weekend.

fontmod2demo.jpg

#29 Corvias

Corvias
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

New fonts are here! they are posted at:

http://www.shsforums...showtopic=38626

#30 DCB

DCB
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

Cool. Will try it out with TOB when I get the chance.