Photo

Most Powerful BG1 Tutu solo character possible?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:09 PM

I'm trying to legally, and under the 161,000 XP cap create the most powerful solo character possible without reloading.

The best I can think of is either any Dwarf (Berserker, Barbarian, a Fighter/Cleric or a Fighter/Thief) because they've got great saving throws, and will regenerate with a 20 CON. My other thought is a dual classed Berserker (for the immunities) 7/Mage. A Berserker/Mage can beat Drizzt and use the Defender Scimitar at the Grandmaster level. He'd have tons of HP and have Mage spells for protection. Another option I'm considering is a Berserker 7 > Druid. Druids can cast Ironskin... 'nuff said on an already formidable fighter. Problem is that rolling an optimal Berserker > Druid dual is really tough.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

I don't think there is one "best" class - it's all up to what you want to make of it. Personally, I couldn't play without having at least one thief in the party, so if I solo, it's usually as a F/M/T elf/half-elf, though with the level cap, that isn't all that great of a multi. So I almost prefer a straight F/T - I usually can't be bothered with spells, anyway. Dwarves and half-orcs are the best there - they can both get the 20 CON; dwarves have good saves; half-orcs can start with 19 STR.

You can dual some pretty funny combos with a thief too, like swashbuckler/cleric. Just make sure you pick everything in sight before dualing, cause you won't have your thief skills for a while, possibly ever if you're playing under the cap. And if thievery isn't your bag, you'll just have to be willing to do without or murder for some of the better items (such as Algernon's) or try to use magic to get them.

Edit: thieves can use scimitars too, and maybe even snare the crap out of Drizzt (though I haven't actually tried that... hmm...).

Edited by Miloch, 10 March 2008 - 06:06 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:07 PM

Kensai is also a good class, and that's because he has lowsy AC, that's because he doesn't need a good one, as he can regenerate! Thus the constant damage bonus is a good thing.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:06 AM

Kensai is a tough solo though, especially since the early levels of BGI are a lot easier with missile weapons.

I might go with that dwarven Fighter/Thief. The saving throw bonus is very valuable.

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#5 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:36 AM

I've settled on a Human Berserker (7) dual classed into a Mage.

With powergaming stats, I'll eventually shoot for using the Axe of Unyeilding and Belm in the offhand (training for the Flail of the Ages for SoA and . In BGI, I'm shooting for ** Axe, ** Scimitar, and using that boomerang axe for missile attacks with Drizzt's defender scimitar for melee.

Anyway, my problem is this: How can I (with minimal difficulty) gain Mage levels quickly after dual-classing? I plan on saving all of my quest rewards until after I dual, and on buying and scribing every scroll I can get my grubby hands on, but I still don't think that will make much of a dent. There aren't many high XP quest rewards in BGI, and scrolls don't award much XP using Tutu.

What are some other, fairly simple ways for a low-level mage (with a lot of HP) to gain levels?

TIA

? Stewie Griffin

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

Major spoilers here...

The Tanar'ri in Ulgoth's Beard will net you about 16k. One of the tougher monsters in the game, probably not something you'll be able to take out early.

Killing Drizzt will net you 12k XP. If you're a mage, grab a wand of monster summoning and a bunch of darts and just wax him with both from the other side of the lake. The best place to get the wand early in the game is probably the ghast tomb east of Nashkel. Take out Narcillicus and his jellies while you're there for another 6k or so.

Helping Aldeth against the druids gets you several thousand (but BG1 NPC changes this - should still be good XP though). Clearing the Nashkel mines is around the same I think. Some of the NPCs you come across later in the game will get you about 6k each (Davaeorn, Jalantha, Andris). Other creatures, again mostly later in the game, will get you a few thousand each (skeleton warriors, basilisks, big wyverns, dopplegangers, wolfweres). A lot of quests in Baldur's Gate are worth a couple thousand or so (Abela, Alatos, Aldeth, Arkion, Marek, Scar, Tenya).

Probably the best XP exploit earlier in the game is to head to Alaric's Cave. You can camp out in there and the flesh golems will respawn for 2k a pop (though Dudleyfix makes them non-respawning... forget if Tutu does). They have a 100% magic resistance, but the monster summoning wand should work, maybe the frost wand too (which you probably want to get early anyway). Just don't use lightning on them, because they're supposed to regenerate from it. And make sure you head to a store, sell your wands and buy 'em back to recharge them before they're fried. Kill the golems at Thalantyr's too while you're at it.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 --EarthquakeDamage--

--EarthquakeDamage--

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:12 PM

If you don't mind using lame exploits, you can but a bunch of scrolls and learn them repeatedly. Erase a spell from your book and you can relearn it for more XP.

There's a reason I use the "no spell XP" component from one of the tweak packs these days. No willpower. At all.

#8 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

Kill the golems at Thalantyr's too while you're at it.

Just FYI, if you have Dudley's fixes, Thalantyr becomes hostile if you do that.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

Hmph... hardly a "fix." Though I guess it makes sense for a tweak. You don't want to use Dudley with Tutu anyway... can't with EasyTutu in any case.

It's easy to take these guys out as I recall, 'cause they're so slow. You can just run circles around the perimeter and take potshots at them.

#10 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

In vanilla BG1, there was the wyvern cave. That was a good xp mill, but not in EasyTutu.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#11 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:20 AM

Basilisks?

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#12 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

If you don't mind using lame exploits, you can but a bunch of scrolls and learn them repeatedly. Erase a spell from your book and you can relearn it for more XP.

There's a reason I use the "no spell XP" component from one of the tweak packs these days. No willpower. At all.

With Tutu, you only get 10 XP per spell level.

Miloch: thanks for that very informative post!

Edited by Klorox, 28 March 2008 - 09:39 AM.

? Stewie Griffin

#13 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

Hmph... hardly a "fix." Though I guess it makes sense for a tweak.

Yeah, no argument from me there.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#14 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:31 AM

Hardly a fix, as in BG1 they are hostile to begin with, before Thalantyr talks to you and then stops them from hunting you.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

Basilisks?

Yeah, I mentioned those. The greater ones are 4k each and a couple unique ones are 7k. You can really clean up on them in Mutamin's - just get protection from petrification or a mirrored eyes potion. They also occur sometimes in random encounters, outside Durlag's, in Candlekeep Caves and one in BG docks warehouse.

#16 -Sanguine Satan-

-Sanguine Satan-

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

Baldur's Gate Fighter/Mage/Cleric walk-through SOLO NO RELOAD. [part 1]

My friends told me its impossible to finish Baldur's Gate in a solo run without reloading, 
I wanna try and prove them wrong !
If I die -- I start all over again ! however... I'm not planing to die so easily...
Join my adventure of fk#ing the hell out of Faerûn with my power hungry 
fighter cleric majestic bitch DiViNA :)

In Baldur's Gate 1 there's a very small amount of cheese u can apply due to the level restriction [xp cap] so most of the Arcane magic shenanigans are out of reach. 
what you CAN do [and its really doesn't count as cheese ] is use the fact the most enemies have rather low saving throws and Hit Dice.

This is basically my plan... things like "Command" [cleric spell] are under your reach even at Level 01 and they actually work on a lot of enemies lol.
I haven't finished my run yet though... but I tell you this, I never had that much fun playing Baldur's Gate 1, my heart stops at every hostile encounter !
This is great experience whether I succeed or not ^^ 

This is NOT a speed run.
I am playing a Half-Elf (for the cleric multiclass) and got nice stats.
After rolling stats for about 1 minute or so I ended with the following stats :

Strength :17
Dexterity :18
Constitution :18
Intelligence :17
Wisdom :17
Charisma :3

And here is the video !