9 replies to this topic

#1 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

I have two questions, actually:

1) Is there a way to increase walk speed and if yes, then how? I know of a mod that increases it with 10%, but I`d actually want something faster than running with 0.01km/h. I have a feeling it can be done with the Construction Set; also increasing the movement speed of everyone else would probably be a good thing, I don`t want to suddenly outrun everyone.

2) Any tips on making the game less boring? Funny thing is that I enjoyed hunting for mods and downloading them a lot more than playing the game, which is a shame, because I`m sure this is a gem and I`ll probably like it once I grow a level or two.

I do have mods installed, perhaps too many actually, since Balmora runs with 10-15fps and Oblivion all maxed out (except for HDR and shadows) runs with a constant 20-50fps. I guess the Morrowind Graphics Extender is also at blame here, though from what I read it`s supposed to make the game run better. Well it does run better while looking sexier, but I recommend against using both the Extender and Balmora Expansion is your have a slower computer than mine (E4300, 2GB RAM, GF7900GT).

Edit: Right, I also forgot to mention I have Leafy Morrowind and Forested Morrowind installed, I`ll probably end up getting rid of them cause on second thought, I have a feeling they are the ones to blame for the immense FPS hit in Balmora. I`ll probably try Vality's mods instead, does anyone have any experience with them?

I do have around 100 mods installed, yet I can`t really motivate myself to play. Sure, unfortunately I do get bored fast, regardless of the game, but I`m in the unfortunate situation of being bored of playing yet still craving to enjoy the game, so I kindly ask for help from the veterans out there. I seriously enjoyed Oblivion a lot more, but I keep hearing how Morrowind is sooooo much better, I really want to see why, hearing people playing it for many months in a row peaked my interest. Does the game get better later on?

If it helps, this time I made a redguard character, placing emphasis on thieving and alchemy, even though (to me) it seems that a stealth based class is much more fun in Oblivion. I still like playing rogue-type characters the most in RPGs, so I`ll take my chances.

Oh and as a sidenote, I did try playing in the past: I made like 4-5 characters so far, haven`t gotten far with any of them (like growing 1-2 levels), something always came up which required the reinstallation of the game, with savegames lost, so I had to restart again and again - this must have eventually taken its toll.

Edited by khayman, 21 March 2008 - 02:57 PM.

#2 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

1) Is there a way to increase walk speed and if yes, then how? I know of a mod that increases it with 10%, but I`d actually want something faster than running with 0.01km/h. I have a feeling it can be done with the Construction Set; also increasing the movement speed of everyone else would probably be a good thing, I don`t want to suddenly outrun everyone.

2) Any tips on making the game less boring? Funny thing is that I enjoyed hunting for mods and downloading them a lot more than playing the game, which is a shame, because I`m sure this is a gem and I`ll probably like it once I grow a level or two.

I do have mods installed, perhaps too many actually, since Balmora runs with 10-15fps and Oblivion all maxed out (except for HDR and shadows) runs with a constant 20-50fps. I guess the Morrowind Graphics Extender is also at blame here, though from what I read it`s supposed to make the game run better. Well it does run better while looking sexier, but I recommend against using both the Extender and Balmora Expansion is your have a slower computer than mine (E4300, 2GB RAM, GF7900GT).

Edit: Right, I also forgot to mention I have Leafy Morrowind and Forested Morrowind installed, I`ll probably end up getting rid of them cause on second thought, I have a feeling they are the ones to blame for the immense FPS hit in Balmora. I`ll probably try Vality's mods instead, does anyone have any experience with them?

I do have around 100 mods installed, yet I can`t really motivate myself to play. Sure, unfortunately I do get bored fast, regardless of the game, but I`m in the unfortunate situation of being bored of playing yet still craving to enjoy the game, so I kindly ask for help from the veterans out there. I seriously enjoyed Oblivion a lot more, but I keep hearing how Morrowind is sooooo much better, I really want to see why, hearing people playing it for many months in a row peaked my interest. Does the game get better later on?

If it helps, this time I made a redguard character, placing emphasis on thieving and alchemy, even though (to me) it seems that a stealth based class is much more fun in Oblivion. I still like playing rogue-type characters the most in RPGs, so I`ll take my chances.

Oh and as a sidenote, I did try playing in the past: I made like 4-5 characters so far, haven`t gotten far with any of them (like growing 1-2 levels), something always came up which required the reinstallation of the game, with savegames lost, so I had to restart again and again - this must have eventually taken its toll.

Have you tried using the console to increase your speed?

I've played through the game a few times and I still find that Oblivion is more interesting and fun to play, but of course, that's my opinion. :)
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#3 khay

khay

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:45 AM

I would, but I don`t know the command and I wonder if that also changes the speed of everyone else as well... Probably not, is my guess.

#4 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:33 AM

I think I can help you with increasing the walk speed. It's a bit of an insider hint as the mod is not available just alone for some reason.

What you need is "Nymerias Faster Walk". As far as I remember, it comes with "Necessitites of Morrowind" (the mod that adds eating food and stuff like that as requirements), as far as I remember. The good thing is, it comes as a separate esp file, so you can use it even if you don't use "Necessities".

I have always been surprised why this mod is not available separately somewhere. I only discovered it by chance in my folder, and only later found out that it came with Necessities (or whichever Mod it was that it came with).

For your convenience, I've uploaded it to my Filefront account here: Nymeria's Faster Walk

I don't know who this Nymeria is, but I salute them for creating the one mod that this game *really* needed.

EDIT: Nevermind, I take it this is the mod you said you know that increases the walk speed? Sorry about that. Or if not, well, you can still use it. :)

As for mods to make the game less boring...well, I didn't find it all that boring. But what I really missed was having no companions, specifically ones that actually talk back. There's some good mods for that problem out there, and I specifically enjoy Julan Ashlander Companion (no, he's not just a companion for ladies. And no, there's no romantic content with Julan for guys. Shani, on the other hand...). Not only is his character interesting, but the mod adds onto the main plot, being pretty much intertwined with it.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by Jazhara7, 23 March 2008 - 08:41 AM.

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#5 khay

khay

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the upload, but yes, that was exactly the mod I was talking about - yesterday I noticed that my problem was that I haven`t enabled it, so that`s why I didn`t notice any difference; not to mention it isn`t 10% as I initially thought, it`s 20% and it seems pretty good now. :)

Now that I played a bit more, I kinda realized that it was some of the settings of Morrowind Graphics Extender that slowed my game down so much, so I pretty much fixed that problem. Thanks to your post I looked around for companions and promptly installed Constance. ^_^ I`d be interested in a romance and I was thinking of Laura Craft, but I don`t like her name and yes, that`s reason enough for me not to install it. :P

Edited by khayman, 23 March 2008 - 09:23 AM.

#6 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:48 AM

Ah, forgetting to enable a mod happens to everyone at some point. But good to know you're happy with it now. :)

Constance is fun. She doesn't have a romance because she's basically a minor, but she's just a lot of fun to have around.

Emma's companions are all very much fun, but yes, the names can be a bit difficult to get used to. Her other companion mod, "Witchgirl Adventure" has a character called Morgana Le Hex. You should be able to change their names via the toolset. Sadly, I can't give you any instructions how, as I am not very familar with it beyond opening mods and reading dialogue in it.

Sadly, there's not as much selection of companions with dialogue and quest for Morrowind (or general Elder Scrolls Games) as there is for games like Baldur's Gate, where every third mod seems to be a companion of some kind. Many companions out there act as little more than backup and packmule for the main player. The Julan and Constance mods, as well as the "Witchgirl" and "Laura Craft" mods are some of the best you can find out there, with the first two being the most popular, as far as I remember. By the way, if you have several of those mods installed at the same time, those companions even interact with each other (you can basically have as many companions as you'd like, but it gets a bit difficult to maneouvre with too many of them, especially in rooms).

By the way, something I found greatly improved Morrowind was the LGNPC project. The whole world and the background is very interesting, but if the things people all over the country is basically the same to a large degree, it gets a bit tiresome after some time. The LGNPC Project - or "Less Generic NPC Project" - works to improve just that. It gives each NPC (who already start out with a unique name each, after all) a unique dialogue and personality, and even adds some extra quests related to that. Of course, this project is huge, as there's lots of NPCs. So they they do this step by step, or rather area by area.

- ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#7 khay

khay

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Yeah, I`m familiar with the LGNPC mods, I have most of them installed, but thanks for reminding me, I see that a couple of new ones appeared since the last time I checked out their website. Now I have a hundred mods or so installed (excluding the texture packs and graphics enhancements) and I`m slowly starting to enjoy the game. Making money seems difficult at first, but I guess it won`t be much of a problem later on.

#8 Tegumiril

Tegumiril
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

You'll have more fun as you get into the 6th House quest line. Then, after a while, you'll start wandering around and looking for new daedric ruins to pillage and plunder. Once you've gotten over the "Gosh, this kinda sucks, what now?" Feeling from the first 5% or so of the game, its a blast. And if you're looking for some silly fun, levitating onto buildings and then throwing fireballs at ordinators in Vivec is always good for a laugh :P.

As to the Main Quest (6th House), it is really really well done. I felt a lot of suspsense when I was going through it, and they out-did themselves with the exceedingly creepy atmosphere of the 6th House Dungeons. The end was a little anti-climactic after all you'd gone through to get there, but overall, the main quest was simply fantastic.

#9 Spirited Treasure

Spirited Treasure
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

player->setspeed "insert desired number"

MCA (I personally like 4.1 the best)
some creature mod.. PirateLord has one
The regulars

and if your rig can handle the extra scripting
Living Cities of Vvardenfell
Nom
There is another mod which adds dialog and story lines to npc's but the name escapes me.

for me MGE made me lag lots more and studder.. lotss more.. fps went down too.. Now I use this instead
http://planeteldersc...w...etail&id=64
http://tesnexus.com/...le.php?id=15175

Morrowind is a lot more lore filled It's exciting and interesting =to me= To read that Dagoth Ur was a regular guy with a great friendship with Nerevar.. It was great fun to read about the Tribunal and all that.. Try some visits to the Imperial Library site.. There is so much more Lore associated with Morrowind....

I was greatly dissapointed with the Lack of Lore in Oblivion..

Try running through one of the dungeons in Mournhold.. and Seeing all those piles of dust where the Dwemer race simply vaporized..
Day to day walking around... yep.. boring..
The body is a cage each of us trapped within our own little worlds, beasts torn from the wild, put on parade, never comprehending what goes on outside beyond the cage. But sometimes, when the handlers aren't looking, we can reach through the bars and touch one another. If we try really hard, if we strain and stretch to make that contact and it only lasts a few seconds, I know. But it feels like forever and I'd want it that way, forever freed from the cages wild and unfettered, flying when we can fly, running when we cannot, bounding and leaping over hills and plains, the world spread out before us in sunlight, sunset, darkness, twilight. I dream at night of a key, or two. One for me and one for you.
-Cenobite

#10 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

I like MGE, but found that even with my setup (Q9450 @3.40Ghz, 4BG DDR3 OC'd, nVidiaGX2, dual boot XP SP3 and Vista x64) on XP I had troubles with distant land and statics. I didn't even bother on Vista. Without creating the distant land, no problems. With Morrowind Comes Alive 5.2, Children of Morrowind, Laura Craft, Balmoral Expanded, TS, Silgrad, etc. carefully applied, plus texture packs, and a heavy mod loadout of LGNPC (hey I am a sucker for mods that make the bit-characters come alive :) ) I could make my self-imposed 60fps .ini cap at all available resolutions. I could even enable shadows. BUT - enabling better shadows OR distant land OR statics, things looked beautiful - they just ran at 12fps with huge lag loading cells. So MGE might indeed do some cool things, but it takes alot of tweaking to figure out how to get it to work well on your system. I am going to try that program, Spirited Treasure - thanks for the link!

Edited by cmorgan, 11 June 2008 - 01:23 PM.