Top 5 games

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

Well, I felt like posting this just because I recently did some rearranging on my list. o-o

1. The Witcher
The visual look of the game, and the atmosphere, it's just stunningly awesome.
I also find that the gore and other PG themes work well to bring the world to life; the player isn't just a quest-bot 3000.
Oh yeah, and the combat, leveling, character development and everything is quite well made.
It's top of the list right now, partly because it's the latest I played through, but hey, it's a really awesome game.

2. Baldur's Gate
Daddy of roleplaying games.
*Makes a note to self to obtain more Bioware RPGs at first opportunity*

3. Warhammer: Mark of Chaos
Why? Well, it'd take loads of writing to specify all the contributing little factors, but suffice to say I just wub the game. ^^

4. Beyond Good And Evil
Awesome game, good story, good graphic look & design. Just loads of awesomeness.

5. Mechcommander
~The first computer game I ever played. A shame I haven't really run into more of it's kind later... Fighting battles with limited forces, with a measure of tactical information provided beforehands for planning, unit customization and other purposes... How can anyone not like it? T_T

So what do you people like?

#2 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

1. Planescape: Torment

Sorry, BG, but I have met the king of RPG's, and it is not you.

2. Baldur's Gate II

3. System Shock II

4. Half-Life

5. Banjo-Kazooie
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

I'll give you the original title and plah, and if...;

N.1 Master of Magic. Now, if you live strategy games, and a little of the city building, this game has everything you'll need to conquer your heart...

N.2 C&C(3), so it won't be forgotten. :whistling: (the only currently played game on the list)

N.3 Fallout, ah the freedom of choice, and surprisingly the first was better than the second.

N.4 Baldur's Gate(1, 1.5, 2, 2.5), well, why else would I be here than NOT playing it?

N.5 Freelancer, ah the space sim that's way better than any of the FPS games on any market, at anytime zone in anywhere.

5. Mechcommander

Did you ever try the second one? As I couldn't play the first one after the 2nd spoiled the fun, as it was way better... and I got it in 2006-07

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

It will sound like a nostalgia round. :)

Baldur's Gate series

Diablo II

X-Files

Myst III

Mask of Eternity

#5 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

I LOVE Baldur's Gate II! T'is definitely my fave and I probably don't need to explain why it's so good here :) .

The other four are harder to choose, but, for now at least, I'll go with the following:

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike - Go go, Necro WOO!! It's wonderful 2D graphics makes it the best looking fighting game I've ever seen and also has smooth and near flawless gameplay.

Diablo II - Neato atmosphere and it's kinda fun trying to get at least some of the uber runewords.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Great story, lots of character customization, and immersive combat. Also, nothing and I mean NOTHING beats FFT's soundtrack.

Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete: Kinda hard to explain this one. All I know is I keep going back to it time and again :) .

Edited by Galsic, 01 April 2008 - 11:03 PM.

(I like parentheses.)

#6 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:30 AM

Eh? Jarno.
I've played both Mechcommanders through & through, and, well, I just think MC1 superior. #2 is good fun too, but the AI just doesn't seem to work. Take a horde of fast jumpy mechs with maximum LRMs/CLRMs/SLRMs anywhere, and just walking back and firing, the day will quite likely be yours. Or maybe just get the enemies attentions fixed on a single runner mech, the grind them down while they chase the fly all day, ignoring your real hard hitters.
The first one is maybe a bit too script dependant on the AI front, but it's still smarter. ^^

#7 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:19 AM

1. Baldur's Gate 2 + ToB, the first PC game in which I became emotionally involved. This happens to sentimental older men. Much as Aerie may annoy me, I would adopt her and buy her a hang-glider. I would marry Imoen, especially after getting to know her much better in BG1 Tutu with the superb BG1 banter pack. (My wife would probably object.) I would DEFINITELY want to have an affair with Viconia. (My wife would have divorced me by now.) BG2 is bloody addictive. I eat up mods.

2. Diablo II + Expansion. It may be mainly a no-brainer in which the only strategy is to hit harder than them, but it was compelling enough to make me play all seven characters through all three levels many times. I had to use a hacking app to make the Amazon beat the Ancients at Hell level. They knocked down almost all of the 5,000 HP which she has at Level 99 (I think).

3. Baldur's Gate + ToSC. I had loved the older AD&D games, all turn-based and with graphics out of a Second Grader's colouring book. BG brought that type of game to life and, of course, introduced the inimitable Minsc and my favourite computerised quadruped, the famous Boo.

4. Warzone 2100. An excellent and apparently not well-known Electronic Arts strategy game with the options to research hundreds of technologies and design literally thousands of futuristic fighting vehicle variations. The collapsing buildings did leave a bit of a sour taste, though, after 9/11.

5. Ultima IV, my first introduction to RGPs in which the PC leads a party of adventurers on quests. I played on a clunky old PC/XT with a gigantic 20-meg hard drive and a 4-colour monitor. Since then RPGs have felt inferior if they are for solo characters, hence my great disappointment with NWN and its annoying thief part-time companion who says "Hokey-Dokey". (And after BG/BG2, party quests have been much less fun without interacting NPCs in the party, so IWD was also a let-down).

Honourable mentions: the Lounge Lizard Larry, Space Quest and King's Quest games from the 1980s which were so huge that some of them had to fit on TWO 640K floppies! Highly amusing, though.

EDIT: Sorry, I have to add this even if it goes a bit off-topic. I have had Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 for a year but haven't played them yet. Are they worth it or are they just more Diablo?

Edited by Scipio, 02 April 2008 - 02:26 AM.

I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#8 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:31 AM

I've played Dungeon Siege 1... It's decent I guess. Really straightforward though. Has non-interacting party members.

#9 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:24 AM

In absolutely no particular order - the Baldur's Gate games, Planescape: Torment, Morrowind, Oblivion and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

Scipio: Dungeon Siege 2 is pretty okay. Haven't played the first one. I *almost* managed to finish the sequel before my dad BLOODY UNINSTALLED IT WHEN I WAS RIGHT AT THE END. Imagine my sorrow.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#10 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:07 AM

My top five:

1. Medieval: Total War. This is simply awesome, the best strategy game ever made. And later this year Empire: Total War brings naval combat in to it too. :Bow:
2. Baldur's Gate I. Yes, I prefer it to BG2. Even though it's not quite as developed, it's got something about it that makes me come back to it time and again. The Tutu version with BG1 NPC project is the only game I kept installed on my old laptop, and one of a very small number that I keep full time on my desktop machine.
3. Alpha Centauri. A development of the Civilisation series, and although I can't get it to run reliably on XP or Vista, I'm going to keep trying until I can find a way to slaughter some more mindworms.
4. KotoR. My favourite CRPG of recent years, at least in terms of the out-of-the-box game. In some ways I think KotoR 2 was better, but the ending (or absence of one) spoils it overall.
5. Baldur's Gate 2. I think a few people have heard of it.

While I really enjoy both Neverwinter Nights games, I really don't think I can vote for them in a poll like this. Neither quite works out for me in terms of the campaign included in the box, though NWN2 is very close. If I was including all the available mods for the games then they'd be on my list, but if that was so then I might well have had Civilisation 4 in too.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#11 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

1. Baldur's Gate II. As I've never been able to find PS:T, this will have to take top billing.

2. System Shock II. Simply put, no other game has managed to make me jump out of my chair at small noises. Alone, outgunned, running low on ammunition and health while the Many have your scent... and of course the lab monkeys.

3. World of Warcraft. *Raises flame shield* It's drugs in CD format for me. >_> Never really intended to get into it that heavily and now... I can claim to have killed Illidan and am working on Kalecgos with my guild.

4. Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant. Meddle not in the affairs of the Wizardry series, for your characters are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. And your brain makes a nice side. Old-school in the extreme, CotDS was long and unforgiving-both on your wits and your combat skills. Murderous puzzles, big critters that aren't happy to see you, fantastic storytelling, and a great sense of humor.

5. Age of Wonders. Another obscure one, AoW was a turn-based rts set in a fairly generic but still rich fantasy universe. The real meat here was the tactical combat-ruthlessly slugging it out with whatever stands in your way. And seriously-any game that features killer penguins slaughtering elves, humans, undead, orcs, and just about anything else simply cannot lose. I love my Dire Penguins. :wub:

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#12 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

1) Baldur's Gate Trio. Yes, well what can I say? Top notch in all aspects of of videogames

2) Super Smash Brothers. Pure because of the multiplayer goodness. I remember me and my friends, all sitting on my bed laughing and playing against each other for countless times.

3) Goldeneye 64, same reason as 2

4) Neverwinter 1 and 2. Story and gameplay were quiet nice, but it missed the In-Depth touch of Baldur's Gate.

5) Hmm, hard one, probably a tie between Kotor and Jade Empire.
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#13 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:36 AM

1. Septerra Core & Legacy of Kain Series -- Excellent story, marvelous world creation, absolutely my all time favorite. Both of them!!

2. The Longest Journey -- The original one! Dreamfall (no matter how interesting) is noting, NOTHING! when compared with the first one.

3. Age of Wonders 1, 2 & Shadow Magic -- Especially Shadow Magic. I don't know why, I just thimk it's one of the best fantasy world I have played.

4. Baldur's Gate 2 + ToB -- This doesn't need explaining.

5. Shadow of Destiny -- You travel back in time to prevent your own death, time and time again might I add, with the help of mysterious and manipulative Homunculus. Poor Eike.

Edited by Orthodoxia, 02 April 2008 - 11:22 AM.

Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#14 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

Doxia: I've been looking EVERYWHERE for the first The Longest Journey, but I can't find it! D: I want to play it so bad!

#15 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

From what I know Funcom sells it online, a DVD edition. Check their shop.
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#16 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:56 AM

You are officially my hero and I will love you for eternity.

#17 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:00 AM

Meh-I hated the Age of Wonders series after the first one. They created a grand, epic tale of a fantasy world facing apocalypse, where almost every race is on the brink of annihilation if they lose and an abundance of intrigue, deception, and warfare... then threw it into a fire and turned it into a stupidly generic fantasy race where Merlin (!) is in love with the elven queen (!!), when the two races have a history in AoW that is roughly 98% warfare and the only people who really matter are a handful of wizard-gods and the world and the races in it are just pieces on a gameboard for a bunch of cardboard caricatures trying to masquerade as characters.

Not to mention that the actual gameplay went down the drain with AoW2 as well-and I want my dire penguins back, dammit!

/rantmode off

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#18 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

You are officially my hero and I will love you for eternity.

Heh, no problem. My copy is nearly a decade old, I pray it continues to work vehemently.

Tempest - Well, the apocalyptic state of things was very much part of the first game, what with the undead and constant wars. And it may be just that I haven't encountered it before, but I liked the idea of wizard-gods -- in a fantasy land where magic in itself was not rare but those that could utilize it full were few...I just found it interesting. And I could swallow generic fantasy for the sake of playing with Shadow Demons.
Posted Image

#19 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

Again-that's what I hated about AoW2-it got *too* generic. Sure, it was never the most original game, but AoW1 at least managed to present it in a compelling way. I could forgive the changes if AoW2 at least had the gameplay to support it-which it didn't. Sure, not a bad game, but it became much more about the flashy graphics and magic than the nitty-gritty of tactics and strategy as you steamrolled your way across the map. Several of the race exchanges were pointless-swapping Azracs for Tigrans and Lizardmen for Draconians when the existing races were just as viable and cool. Desert race that uses elephants as living battering rams? Giant slugs spitting venom and used as front-line combat troops? Catapults and ballistas mounted on giant turtles? AoW2 is still a fine game, but it's empty and unsatisfactory compared to it's predecessor. And they took away my dire penguins. >_> Sure, not the greatest unit in the game, but... they're giant killer penguins!

#20 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

:) I can tell we like the same game (AoW1) for different reasons. Strategy and graphics are not so important to me -- means to an ends -- I liked the world, the story and the potential never used by developers <_<

In AoW2 1000 year have passed, the wizards rule once again and there's a semblance of fragile peace. The world has changed, some races are gone and others have risen, and humans who were once conquers are now being hunted to extinction.

You look at the races and wizards from strategic and game point of view, I look at it from storytelling and loads of cheats point of view. We're fans of the same game but for very much different reasons :D
Posted Image