Photo

Who and what is Selim Sivad?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

I posted this earlier in the gameplay forum. I should have posted it here, no doubt!

I have started a new game with the CtB Fast Forward mod. I am still in Irenicus's dungeon where I have met a very fat, monk-like ghost called Selim Sivad who doesn't want Imoen to cast spells. After her fourth spell-casting he changed from one of the Ghostly Trio to the shade of the Ayatollah Khomeini and became nasty.

He is unkillable. Nothing damages him.

I reloaded and agreed to give him back his magic. Imoen still had all her spells afterwards. Imoen cast one again and Khomeini Sivad reappeared but his circle stayed blue. I tried to talk to him but all I got was a "NO VALID RESPONSE" reply.

I reloaded, cast a spell, Sivad attacked and I hit him with Ctrl-Y ... no more fat monk ghost. Then he respawned two seconds later. Ctrl-Y again and everything seemed OK. Then Imoen used another spell and the fat bugger was back.

I don't want to give him my magic powers even if he doesn't seem to actually take them.

This is the second time I've tried CtB. The first time it bugged out at numerous stages. If you count the bug reports on this forum, are we all doing something wrong or is this just a chronically bug-ridden mod?

Wozzup?

I currently have the following mods installed in this order:
BanterPack
IEP Banters
CtB
CtB Fast Forward
Bag Bonus
Weimar Item Upgrade
Viconia Friendship Beta
Lion Warrior kit for Rangers (which installed but appears to be unselectable as a Ranger kit option

CtB looks like the only one of these mods that could be sending the fat ghost to haunt me. Of course without any documentation I don't even know if Selim Sivad is a part of this mod.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#2 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:40 PM

I posted this earlier in the gameplay forum. I should have posted it here, no doubt!

I have started a new game with the CtB Fast Forward mod. I am still in Irenicus's dungeon where I have met a very fat, monk-like ghost called Selim Sivad who doesn't want Imoen to cast spells. After her fourth spell-casting he changed from one of the Ghostly Trio to the shade of the Ayatollah Khomeini and became nasty.

He is unkillable. Nothing damages him.

I reloaded and agreed to give him back his magic. Imoen still had all her spells afterwards. Imoen cast one again and Khomeini Sivad reappeared but his circle stayed blue. I tried to talk to him but all I got was a "NO VALID RESPONSE" reply.

I reloaded, cast a spell, Sivad attacked and I hit him with Ctrl-Y ... no more fat monk ghost. Then he respawned two seconds later. Ctrl-Y again and everything seemed OK. Then Imoen used another spell and the fat bugger was back.

I don't want to give him my magic powers even if he doesn't seem to actually take them.

This is the second time I've tried CtB. The first time it bugged out at numerous stages. If you count the bug reports on this forum, are we all doing something wrong or is this just a chronically bug-ridden mod?

Wozzup?

I currently have the following mods installed in this order:
BanterPack
IEP Banters
CtB
CtB Fast Forward
Bag Bonus
Weimar Item Upgrade
Viconia Friendship Beta
Lion Warrior kit for Rangers (which installed but appears to be unselectable as a Ranger kit option

CtB looks like the only one of these mods that could be sending the fat ghost to haunt me. Of course without any documentation I don't even know if Selim Sivad is a part of this mod.

Could you post your WeiDU log? Miles should show up at the Academy of Kuldin, IIRC.

It takes a village...

#3 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:59 PM

Could you post your WeiDU log? Miles should show up at the Academy of Kuldin, IIRC.

Hah, forgot I'd also installed Flirt Pack. Thanks for offering to look at the log. Hope it helps!
... who is Miles?

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Shadows of Amn
~IEPBANTERS/IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #5 // Install Banter Accelerator? How much time would you like in between NPC banters in-game? -> 20 Minutes
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Throne of Bhaal
~IEPBANTERS/IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Extended NPC-NPC Interaction SoA
~IEPBANTERS/IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Extended Minsc/Aerie Interaction ToB
~IEPBANTERS/IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #2 // NPC Conflict Revisions
~SETUP-CTB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Check The Bodies, v1.9
~SETUP-CTB-CHORES.TP2~ #0 #0 // Candlekeep Chores, v2.1
~SETUP-CTB_FF.TP2~ #0 #0 // Check the Bodies Fast Forward, v1.1 (for CtB v1.8 or later)
~SETUP-BAGBONUS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bonus Potioncase and Ammobelt to Deidre's store
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Aerie Flirt Pack For SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #1 // Aerie/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #2 // Aerie Flirt Pack For TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #3 // Aerie/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #4 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #5 // Jaheira/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #6 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #7 // Jaheira/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #8 // Viconia Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #9 // Viconia/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #10 // Viconia Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #11 // Viconia/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #12 // Anomen Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #13 // Anomen/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #14 // Anomen Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #15 // Anomen/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Throne Of Bhaal Item Upgrades
~VICONIA/SETUP-VICONIA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Viconia Friendship Mod: Beta 0.2
~SETUP-ZULU.TP2~ #0 #0 // "Lion Warrior" ranger kit

I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.

#4 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

Hah, forgot I'd also installed Flirt Pack. Thanks for offering to look at the log. Hope it helps!
... who is Miles?

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Shadows of Amn
~IEPBANTERS/IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #5 // Install Banter Accelerator? How much time would you like in between NPC banters in-game? -> 20 Minutes
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Throne of Bhaal
~IEPBANTERS/IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Extended NPC-NPC Interaction SoA
~IEPBANTERS/IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Extended Minsc/Aerie Interaction ToB
~IEPBANTERS/IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #2 // NPC Conflict Revisions
~SETUP-CTB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Check The Bodies, v1.9
~SETUP-CTB-CHORES.TP2~ #0 #0 // Candlekeep Chores, v2.1
~SETUP-CTB_FF.TP2~ #0 #0 // Check the Bodies Fast Forward, v1.1 (for CtB v1.8 or later)
~SETUP-BAGBONUS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bonus Potioncase and Ammobelt to Deidre's store
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Aerie Flirt Pack For SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #1 // Aerie/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #2 // Aerie Flirt Pack For TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #3 // Aerie/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #4 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #5 // Jaheira/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #6 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #7 // Jaheira/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #8 // Viconia Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #9 // Viconia/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #10 // Viconia Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #11 // Viconia/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #12 // Anomen Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #13 // Anomen/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #14 // Anomen Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #15 // Anomen/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Throne Of Bhaal Item Upgrades
~VICONIA/SETUP-VICONIA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Viconia Friendship Mod: Beta 0.2
~SETUP-ZULU.TP2~ #0 #0 // "Lion Warrior" ranger kit

This is in your Baldur.bcs:

IF
 OR(12)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_EAGLES_SPLENDOR)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_DECASTAVE)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_CATS_GRACE)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_MORDENKAINENS_FORCE_MISSILES)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_BALL_LIGHTNING)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_LUTZAENS_FREQUENT_JAUNT)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_DARTS_OF_BONE)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_ANTIMAGIC_FIELD)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_LICH_TOUCH)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_TROLLISH_FORTITUDE)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_IRON_BODY)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_MIND_BLANK)
 Global("CbSelimCreated","GLOBAL",0)
 !Global("CbSelimTurnsEnemy","GLOBAL",1)
 AreaType(DUNGEON)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
  SetGlobal("CbSelimCreated","GLOBAL",1)
  CreateCreatureOffScreen("CBSELIMS",0) // Selim Sivad
END

IF
 OR(12)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_EAGLES_SPLENDOR)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_DECASTAVE)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_CATS_GRACE)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_MORDENKAINENS_FORCE_MISSILES)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_BALL_LIGHTNING)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_LUTZAENS_FREQUENT_JAUNT)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_DARTS_OF_BONE)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_ANTIMAGIC_FIELD)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_LICH_TOUCH)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_TROLLISH_FORTITUDE)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_IRON_BODY)
  SpellCast([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_MIND_BLANK)
 Global("CbSelimCreated","GLOBAL",0)
 !Global("CbSelimTurnsEnemy","GLOBAL",1)
 TimeGT(DUSK_END)
 TimeLT(DAWN_START)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
  SetGlobal("CbSelimCreated","GLOBAL",1)
  CreateCreatureOffScreen("CBSELIMS",0) // Selim Sivad
END
Selim Sivad = Miles Davis By the way, which spell was imoen casting?

Edited by erebusant, 09 April 2008 - 08:49 PM.

It takes a village...

#5 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

Selim Sivad = Miles Davis By the way, which spell was imoen casting?

Miles Davis = about 10 years before my time. I'm too young for that brand of beatnik jazz. He was also too intense, not light and fun like Dave Brubeck.

Miles popped up every time Imoen used magic. She cast mirror image (standard buffing) before Miles appeared for the first time in the room where the djinn asks his question about pushing buttons; stinking cloud the second time (the Duergars at the top of the map); lightning the third time (nailed the otyugh); and stoneskin the fourth time (just before going to say hello to the vampire). That was when Miles made his fourth appearance and blew his trumpet... er, top. I gave him a dose of Ctrl-Y. He spawned himself and needed another Ctrl-Y. The party had slept by then, so Imoen was able to cast mirror image again. Miles appeared yet again and got a third Ctrl-Y, after which he didn't show up again. The party is in Athkatla now but hasn't used any magic except Identify.

#6 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:16 AM

I like this topic. The other day I was listening to "Live Evil" and the two tracks, Selim and Sivad on that album. Kind of thought about the CTB character and "thou hast used my transcriptions..." and laughed.

Check out the Academy of Kuldin. you will find more about the mysterious phantom Selim (errrr,,, not Miles).

As long as it is a dungeon area, Selim will come out and say hi.

Edited by Hoppy, 11 April 2008 - 02:25 AM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#7 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

As long as it is a dungeon area, Selim will come out and say hi.

He can say hello as often as he likes as long as he doesn't attack me. If he does attack he should die. If he dies he shouldn't resurrect himself. And I'm sure there aren't supposed to be two of him on the screen at the same time.

#8 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:51 AM

Selim should not be showing if your are using standard magic from the vanilla game. Only the spells that are new. They will show up in mage charts early on and for sorcerers also. I don't use them that early. Was Imoen casting lightning bolt or ball lightning? Sounds like something is not setting with the ctrl+y.

Maybe once you get some more XP you can take her down normally later on and see if that sets Global correctly.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#9 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

Selim should not be showing if your are using standard magic from the vanilla game. Only the spells that are new. They will show up in mage charts early on and for sorcerers also. I don't use them that early. Was Imoen casting lightning bolt or ball lightning? Sounds like something is not setting with the ctrl+y.

Maybe once you get some more XP you can take her down normally later on and see if that sets Global correctly.

#10 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:24 PM

Only vanilla spells.

Thanks for all the time you have given to this snag. I would have told you earlier -- if the SHS server hadn't been down -- that after reading this latest message from you I decided to uninstall everything, including the game inself, then reinstall completely to see if the same bugs appeared. I have done so. Never mind that some of the other WeiDU mods refuse to install now... I have posted details in IE Help. For all I know it could have been some other mod that was interfering with CtB.

I do apprecaite your help. I hope I haven't wasted your time while the server was off.

#11 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

Only vanilla spells.

Thanks for all the time you have given to this snag. I would have told you earlier -- if the SHS server hadn't been down -- that after reading this latest message from you I decided to uninstall everything, including the game inself, then reinstall completely to see if the same bugs appeared. I have done so. Never mind that some of the other WeiDU mods refuse to install now... I have posted details in IE Help. For all I know it could have been some other mod that was interfering with CtB.

I do apprecaite your help. I hope I haven't wasted your time while the server was off.

Actually, I think it has something to do with your SPELL.IDS and the 4 digit code for the spells Imoen was casting were misnumbered in the IDS file or something so the engine would misrecognize them. A search in this forum somewhere should reveal old posts about it.

It takes a village...

#12 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

Hey erebusant,
when I looked at Scipio's log again, I didn't see any super-tweaky-spell-mod, but I know I did not see a G3 Fixpack. Plus doesn't CtB need the worldmap mod as requirement?

- King Diamond

#13 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

Hey erebusant,
when I looked at Scipio's log again, I didn't see any super-tweaky-spell-mod, but I know I did not see a G3 Fixpack. Plus doesn't CtB need the worldmap mod as requirement?

I have got all the mods to install at last, and they now include the Fixpack. But I don't have the Worldmap mod. During my first attempt at reinstalling the mods I either got an error message something like "SysError: Too many files open" or nothing but an endless flow of code that eventually terminated with a message on the lines of "Please reinstall. Actually, Windows won't let me do it." I got around this tediously by installing one mod at a time, then shutting down completely, starting up again, installing the next mod, shutting down... I have 512MB of RAM if that has anything to do with anything.

#14 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

The amount of RAM can slow things down but as long as the DOS window says succesfully installed, it should be OK. Sometimes if you try to install another mod right after, it might choke the installation because the previous process hasn't closed down. When that happens you can usually find a file in your SoA folder called Weidu.LOCK. Delete that and continue.

You can check the read me for CtB and see if that version requires WorldMap. I am pretty sure you'll need that mod and the consolidated patch in the important topics of Worldmap forums.

Fixpack should go right after your ToB patch
CtB next and FF
Then your small mods (tweaks/banters/items/NPC/kits)
Worldmap

Good luck!

- King Diamond

#15 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:43 PM

The amount of RAM can slow things down but as long as the DOS window says succesfully installed, it should be OK. Sometimes if you try to install another mod right after, it might choke the installation because the previous process hasn't closed down. When that happens you can usually find a file in your SoA folder called Weidu.LOCK. Delete that and continue.

You can check the read me for CtB and see if that version requires WorldMap. I am pretty sure you'll need that mod and the consolidated patch in the important topics of Worldmap forums.

Fixpack should go right after your ToB patch
CtB next and FF
Then your small mods (tweaks/banters/items/NPC/kits)
Worldmap

Good luck!

Thank you so much. I think the tip about WeiDU.LOCK may prove to be extremely useful henceforth.

I don't see anything about the necessity for Worldmap in the Readmes with the app, on the forum or at the download site. Still, it looks like it won't hurt and it may help considerably to have it so I've just downloaded it. Besides, it looks like fun just to have.

The only mods I plan to use that do specify install order (unless I've missed something) are Fixpack (first after the Bioware patch), CtB (immediately after Fixpack), Worldmap (last) and Flirtpack (either last or as near the end as possible). I'll also be running the Viconia Friendship beta again -- L. suggested installing it near the end too so that it can be uninstalled and reinstalled easily as he adds to it.

One other selected mod I should mention is Vilkacis's kick-ass Lion Warrior. It's just a kit so it can go anywhere, I guess!

If I get stuck again I'll have a much better idea where to look. Thanks again!

#16 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

20) Worldmap entries and links revised to introduce more reasonable travel times.

Cross-link tables for SoS, TDD and RoT added.

Now Worldmap v6 > is a mandatory component to access CtB areas in any configuration of mods.

21) Attempt to fix wedding quest: aptp0300, aptp0400, aptp0500, aptp0700, aptp0900, aptp2BLD - messed and duplicate
wedding quest triggers removed.

22) Worldmap v6.6 requirement (new Hlondeth's areas position).

This is in the version history for 1.9. And the Worldmap is beautiful and worth installing. It will take a little while to find new locations but you will find the old ones no problem.
Good Luck!

- King Diamond

#17 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

20) Worldmap entries and links revised to introduce more reasonable travel times.

Cross-link tables for SoS, TDD and RoT added.

Now Worldmap v6 > is a mandatory component to access CtB areas in any configuration of mods.

21) Attempt to fix wedding quest: aptp0300, aptp0400, aptp0500, aptp0700, aptp0900, aptp2BLD - messed and duplicate
wedding quest triggers removed.

22) Worldmap v6.6 requirement (new Hlondeth's areas position).

This is in the version history for 1.9. And the Worldmap is beautiful and worth installing. It will take a little while to find new locations but you will find the old ones no problem.
Good Luck!

Thanks yet again. How many do I owe you now?

I'm installing mods right now. Worldmap v6.6 will be the last one to be installed.

I have still been having the same sorts of problems this time round but I have found one partial solution, although it doesn't work all the time. After installing each mod I run the System Mechanic memory manager to free up RAM. It's amazing -- I install a tiny mod like Bag Bonus, everything appears to close fine, I open System Mechanic and find I've lost 60 to 80 MB of RAM. System Mechanic gets it back but Windows won't unless I shut down, not just restart. Jarno has been suggesting I switch to Linux. If I had enough confidence about using it without screwing up all my software, peripherals and local server and other functioning for ASP development I might do so. I sure don't feel like teaching myself PHP right now.

The immediate solution may be to double the RAM. Two years ago 512 MB looked like all I would need for the things I do.

#18 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

If you upgrade from 2 to 4 GB of RAM, then you can install Baldur's Gate Trilogy :Poke:

edit: we'll cross that bridge when we come to it :D

edito segundo: for what you are installing, that RAM should be fine unless other programs are eating a lot of RAM, too. CtB is going to be the longest installer because it has to extract the tilesets for the addded areas. Mostly Icewind Dale ones.

Edited by Hoppy, 13 April 2008 - 04:10 PM.

- King Diamond

#19 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:18 AM

The kind help and advice I have received here and in PMs suggests there is one primary and possibly exclusive reason for the hassles I've been experiencing -- not enough RAM.

Last night I used a memory manager during the mod installations. I have "only" 512MB of RAM, which seemed massive just two years ago. But Windows grabs nearly half of that to run itself and sundry unspecified stuff that must load at Startup. This seems like a ridiculous amount of RAM just to have the computer switched on without doing anything special.

This afternoon I started playing what I had installed. I was still in CtB--FF when the PC froze.

I uninstalled Worldmap (yes, I know, but I was testing.) The game stuttered along, then froze again.

Uninstalled TDD -- and the game runs perfectly! But without TDD, without Worldmap and thus, necessarily, without CtB.

VERY SHORT-TERM SOLUTION: Don't try to run any Mega Mods until I add RAM.

SHORT-TERM SOLUTION: Pack in as much RAM as you've recommended. 4 GIGS would nominally give me eight times as much as I have now. Although even 1 Gig would give me 3 times as much useable RAM as the present half-Gig because 250MB is being eaten by Windows.

LONGER-TERM SOLUTION: Wait to see how much RAM I will need to run the Ultra Mod I know you guys are working on, the one that starts at Candlekeep, goes through to the end of BG2, then detours through all of Planescape, returns you to Icewind Dale, takes you through to the end of IWD2, transports your party of six to NWN and goes through it and its sequel, and lets your PC run through Diablo II as a quick solo quest.

#20 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

If you add more big mods like TDD or the mammoth Region of Terror, you might have issue swith slowdowns or crashes with the RAM. I had a computer not too long ago and Installed CtB, TDD, RoT, SoS, TS-BP and Big Picture. The latter adds and overwrites many creatures and scripts and takes very long. I only had 512MB of RAM too. The single mods would take a while with that RAM because of extracting the tilesets. I think my computer was going to have a meltdown.

Also if you are installing a lot of small mods, it is best to keep your override under 1GB to avoid slowdowns. The big mods above and others, biff files for faster loading and playing, just like the Vanilla game does. When you add mods that may not biff at all, they leave files in the override and can become very packed and you get choppy movement in game especially if the override is 1GB to 1.75GB large

I think just with CtB alone, you get a lot of quests, items, spells, funny dialogs, Class specific stuff. I play a multi F/M/T and get a lot out of it. I think the Bard stronghold is good too if you like being a bard. You can't get everything in that mod in one playthrough.

- King Diamond