Banter accelerator?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

Hello,

I'm unsure whether to install the accelerator, or indeed which setting to choose...what's the normal time between dialogues so that i can have some idea about which setting i would prefer?

Thank you.

#2 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:57 PM

Banters without the accelerator can vary, some generally only by an hour (real time that is), others not so lucky. All the accelerator will do is bring those banters (if conditions are met to intiate them) to the set amount of real time you have marked down.

(eg: set to 10 minutes, banters will trigger every 10 minutes real-time in weight priority order)

Hope this clears up confusion. :)
There technically is no standard except for your personal playing time and style.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

Banters without the accelerator can vary, some generally only by an hour (real time that is), others not so lucky. All the accelerator will do is bring those banters (if conditions are met to intiate them) to the set amount of real time you have marked down.

(eg: set to 10 minutes, banters will trigger every 10 minutes real-time in weight priority order)

Hope this clears up confusion. :)
There technically is no standard except for your personal playing time and style.

Thanks for the answer, and sure i understand it's personal preference, but i'm wary of running out of dialogues is all...might make the game quite uninteresting later if that were to happen, hence why i'm trying to find some sort of value i can compare things with to guage which setting i'd go for...i'm thinking either 30 mins or an hour.

I plan on having a full 6 person party, so do you, or anyone else with this accelerator experience know if i should be okay at an hour, or even 30 mins?

Thanks

#4 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

Well, with a party of 5 Bioware NPCs, you're looking at an average of anywhere from 15-30 banters a game. What NPCs are you playing with, and are you going to use the Banter Pack as well?

If you tell me what NPCs you'll use, I'll be able to tell you exactly how many banters there are. Then divide that by how long you suspect the game will take you, and boom, we have an optimum time. :) And if it's more than an hour, I'll show you how you can add options to the install. :)

#5 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

I tend to cycle through NPCs, so I generally go for a shorter interval. When I plan to play a party that will stay with me through the whole game, I still install the accellerator, because I've found that the default time is too long for my taste (>2 hours), but I opt for a longer interval.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#6 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:13 AM

I usually play with a default value, with the Banter Accelerator from Pocket Plane installed: forty minutes. It works well enough for me.

#7 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:13 AM

Well, thank you all for the replies.

I do plan on having pretty much 5 others with me, and not interchanging at all; i like to gather a set party and then develop them.

I will most likely play the game twice (will be my 3rd/4th times playing, so i know the deal with the plot/dialogues/quests etc); once with a good party and once with an evil one.

The good one will be:

Me
Minsc
Jaheira
Aerie
Jan
Yosh/Imoen <--- before getting imoen i may well not take yoshimo and replace this slot with each npc for their quest...i heard people do this, and have never tried it...might make for more engrossing quests, e.g. taking cernd into party for the trademeet stuff - i usually tell him/nalia etc to just meet me at wherever!

Evil:

Me
Korgan
Viconia
Edwin
erm...haer'dalis/cernd...someone (shame there aren't more evil npcs in the game, but i've never tried haer...supposeduly is chaotic neutral so will be somewhat willing to go along with evil stuff :P )
Yoshi/imoen/others same as above...

I will have both the banter pack and IEP installed, plus things like unfinished business, dungeon crawl, prolly assassinations for the evil party play as ive never tried that mod yet.

As for playtime...i assume you mean realtime? or days in game? i guess 70 days or so in-game, real-time...maybe 2 months...playing 2 hours or so a day.

When you say 15-30 banters with 5 npcs...you mean each one has that many? or alltogether?

So, sorry for the long post, but any help is greatly appreciated...i think i'm looking mainly to avoid things like...i dunno, i heard, for example, there is a 5 day real-time delay between two of jaheira's talks? wanna avoid something like that with an across the board time as solar says.

Also, can i ask, when i go to tob, are all the dialogue variables kept as they are so that i don't miss anything or have continuity errors? is there still added dialogue for tob? which i assume is like...extending a banter from say 10...to 15, with the new 5 carrying on from the others, once you get to them.

I'm not sure if i've explained that correctly, basically does the dialogue simply carry on, or is like a separate thing, which would seem odd!

Thanks very much once again.

#8 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:42 AM

Okay, you're looking at about 20 banters for your good party, IF you keep only Yoshimo and Imoen in the party throughout the game. Adding other NPCs does complicate things. We'll use 20 as an average, though.

For playtime, I mean, hours you spend playing the game--a good average might be 30, for example. If it was around 30, 30/20 is 1.5 hours per banter.

For your evil party, you're probably looking at 25? Or so. It's hard to average, since there are so many variables. :)

When I say 20 banters, I mean between all of the NPCs--Minsc and Aerie have about 6 in SoA, for example, and Jaheira/Aerie around 2 (IIRC), so that's 8 banters all up for a party of PC, Aerie and Jaheira.

I believe the 5-day delay between Jaheira talks would be from the romance, and not relating to banter.

And unfortunately, banter doesn't work like that. :( It has to do with the way the dialogue files work. It might be possible to do it, but it would require quite a bit of time, and frankly I think most of the ToB banter is quite self-contained anyway--there won't be any major continuity errors. (And just so you know, IEP Banters doesn't add to ToB currently, only SoA--we wanted to ensure SoA was covered before moving on).

I hope that helps, and no problem. :cheers:

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:35 AM

Okay, you're looking at about 20 banters for your good party, IF you keep only Yoshimo and Imoen in the party throughout the game. Adding other NPCs does complicate things. We'll use 20 as an average, though.

For playtime, I mean, hours you spend playing the game--a good average might be 30, for example. If it was around 30, 30/20 is 1.5 hours per banter.

For your evil party, you're probably looking at 25? Or so. It's hard to average, since there are so many variables. :)

When I say 20 banters, I mean between all of the NPCs--Minsc and Aerie have about 6 in SoA, for example, and Jaheira/Aerie around 2 (IIRC), so that's 8 banters all up for a party of PC, Aerie and Jaheira.

I believe the 5-day delay between Jaheira talks would be from the romance, and not relating to banter.

And unfortunately, banter doesn't work like that. :( It has to do with the way the dialogue files work. It might be possible to do it, but it would require quite a bit of time, and frankly I think most of the ToB banter is quite self-contained anyway--there won't be any major continuity errors. (And just so you know, IEP Banters doesn't add to ToB currently, only SoA--we wanted to ensure SoA was covered before moving on).

I hope that helps, and no problem. :cheers:

It does help, thanks.

Does the amount of banters you mention include banter pack/IEP? I was expecting a few more than 20 i must say with those 2 added on...surely IEP itself adds 6 to minsc/aerie, and i'm sure there's others in the vanilla game, for e.g.

I mean, you seem to know better, i'm simply questioning to make sure i've got things right! :rolleyes:

If this is the case, i may just not use a banter accelerator...unless it fixes the jaheira thing? i wouldn't play 5 x 24 hours worth of this game i think! Are there any issues i should be aware of such as other banters having such long delays? If they do, i'll prolly go for the 1 hour setting from your accelerator to keep things even, as i said, across the board.

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:38 AM

It does help, thanks.

Does the amount of banters you mention include banter pack/IEP? I was expecting a few more than 20 i must say with those 2 added on...surely IEP itself adds 6 to minsc/aerie, and i'm sure there's others in the vanilla game, for e.g.

I mean, you seem to know better, i'm simply questioning to make sure i've got things right! :rolleyes:

If this is the case, i may just not use a banter accelerator...unless it fixes the jaheira thing? i wouldn't play 5 x 24 hours worth of this game i think! Are there any issues i should be aware of such as other banters having such long delays? If they do, i'll prolly go for the 1 hour setting from your accelerator to keep things even, as i said, across the board.

Oops, just realised something else, when you say banter....you mean npc-npc only?

I guess i was underwhelmed by the number because there's separate npc-pc dialogues? of which i assume there are a fair number too? (oh and, are they accelerated by the accelerator too?)

#11 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:41 AM

That is with IEP and Banter Packs, yes. Keep in mind exactly how many NPCs there are--Banter Pack adds around 30 banters to SoA, IEP adds 40-50--there's still a lot to go before we get 2 banters at least between each NPC, even!

And I think I made a typo, there--Minsc and Aerie have 6 all up, but IEP adds 4 to SoA--it does add 2 to ToB, though, which is where I think I got the number "6" from. Edited the appropriate thread, and it'll be fixed in the next release.

I don't think there should be any unusual occurances--the Jaheira thing, as I said, is not something that the Banter Accelerator will alter, since it hasn't got anything to do with banter but the romance. (And I doubt it's 5 days of real time--5 days of game time sounds far more feasable). :)

:cheers:

Edit: ... and moved this to the IEP Extended Banters forum. :)

#12 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly, so if I'm not someone please scold me. :devil:
Ahem, anyway from my own experience I can say romance talks themselves are also accelerated with only a few exceptions, and that would be the long waiting sequences, ie: last of Aerie's romance issues in TOB or Jaheira's last meeting in SOA - those aren't accelerated in the same fashion.

I can testify having 3 Anomen lovetalks in the same hour though, and similar has happened with the other romances (exception Aerie for some reason - although after the 1st happens it resumes much the same pace as the others) and mod NPCs.

That was running at 10 minutes acceleration. :)

It also seems to work out much the same with Mod projects such as BG1's NPC Project or even Classic Adventures. Not sure yet however if bugs occur from such experimentation however. :)

Also I should note that trying to install a banter accelerator with another one installed at the time will naturally cause the current version to be overwritten.

Anyway - [/long winded response] And yes, if I did read wrong, I apologise to all. :)
Same applies if I sound patronizing.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#13 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

Hey,

Can i also ask something related: whatever setting i choose, does that mean that a banter WILL come up, regardless of being in combat or something? If so, is that a vanilla game thing aswell?

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the banter may not come up, since there are events that need to be satisfied ASWELL as the timer, whatever it may be set to.

if that is the case, and no one has a banter available/party in combat, does that mean the game won't try to initiate another banter till another hour/30 mins (whatever it's set to)?

If that's the case, i can see why people may choose settings as quick as 20 mins or so.

#14 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:47 AM

Hey,

Can i also ask something related: whatever setting i choose, does that mean that a banter WILL come up, regardless of being in combat or something? If so, is that a vanilla game thing aswell?

Whether a dialog starts in combat is set in the dialog setup. Usually something starting with IF (in coding) . But usually the battle is a condition that prevents one of the If's from being true so the dialog tree waits until it all of them become true. So no the the battle doesn't extend the line to forever, unless it's always on.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#15 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

Hey,

Whether a dialog starts in combat is set in the dialog setup. Usually something starting with IF (in coding) . But usually the battle is a condition that prevents one of the If's from being true so the dialog tree waits until it all of them become true. So no the the battle doesn't extend the line to forever, unless it's always on.

So, if there's a condition blocking the banter starting up...does the accelerator wait until that condition is satisfied - eg combat finished, and then will run the banter, i.e. is it queued up in some way.

Or, is there simply another wait of an hour (assuming you set the accelerator to that) before it tries to start a banter at all?

Hope you see what i'm trying to get at - basically would like to know the mechanics of it a little more, because if it works as i say above, then you may get an accelerator that is essentially a little slower than you might be expecting!

#16 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

Banters will only run if all the conditions are met--if one doesn't trigger, it'll move to the next in the list, and so on. Don't worry, it won't be any slower. :)

#17 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Banters will only run if all the conditions are met--if one doesn't trigger, it'll move to the next in the list, and so on. Don't worry, it won't be any slower. :)

Sorry, i think you misunderstand what i mean.

I meant if none of the banters can be played, will the next round of trying to start any of the banters only happen after anohter hour - i realise this is unlikely, that you'd be in combat at the exact second every hour/30 mins etc that the banter is supposed to initiate, but it's still a possibility, right?

#18 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

Most of the banters with conditions are scripted, so they will trigger regardless of the banter accelerator. For example, in IEP, when Viconia is hurt Jaheira will heal her. This is a scripted banter, and will occur as soon as Viconia is hurt enough.

But yes, say, if the banter requires the NPCs to be in a forest, they'll have to be in a forest for the banter to trigger. It works no differently to in the original game, which does the same thing--all the banter accelerator does is make it faster by triggering banters more often. :)

#19 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

I can testify having 3 Anomen lovetalks in the same hour though, and similar has happened with the other romances (exception Aerie for some reason - although after the 1st happens it resumes much the same pace as the others) and mod NPCs.

That was running at 10 minutes acceleration. :)

Can i just ask something about that: Don't you run out of banters awful fast? considering there are 20-25 as kal says?

#20 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

Some people play at... blinding speed, to say the least, disregarding most side quests and just playing through the main story as quick as possible. They need the 10 minute thing to be able to see all banters. :) But yes, you'd run out of banters fairly fast unless you were playing at that kind of speed. That's what timers is for in the first place - everyone's a different kind of gamer.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!