Photo

How is the Kelsey romance?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:30 AM

I've never done it before, and I'm thinking I might just give it a try.

I'm playing (at least planning on) a small group again:

Elf F/M/T protagonist
Jaheira (SK'ed into a C/R)
Kelsey

If the Kelsey romance stinks, I'll just play the Jaheira one again. LMK.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:08 AM

Think Aerie, only whinier and more Gary Stu.

Edit: Mind you, it is a very well-written mod: the scripting is just about flawless, the voicing is excellent, and it is perhaps one of the highest-quality mods around. I just can't stand the actual *character*. :)

Edited by Tempest, 18 April 2008 - 05:22 AM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#3 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:37 AM

Heh. You'll never get a straight answer on this one. Opinions vary from ^^^ that ^^^ to "best thing since sliced bread".

(Personally, I don't have an opinion.)

#4 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:59 AM

Thanks guys. Vilkacis, I absolutely love your avatar! :D

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#5 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:18 AM

Kelsey may well be the most popular mod out there with virtually no affirmed fans.

By which I mean, the mod still gets about the same level of downloads as it did four years ago and is consistently one of the traffic leaders at PPG, but when put to a poll or discussion, today's active community participants tend to recommend newer alternatives. So either a lot of people are going away dissatisfied, or they are simply struck speechless by its majesty.

Presumably evolution is at work, in some part. Just as the first wave of romance writers, myself included, identified some of the gaps in the Bioware originals and improved upon them, perhaps the second and third wave have done the same to us first-wavers. Although Tashia remains shockingly well recommended, and it actually predates Kelsey in the first wave. Perhaps Arian caught lightning in a bottle.

#6 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

Sorry, Klorox, but Kelsey's an idiot. If you want a guy who's mentally still in middle school and can't seem to figure out he's not the center of the universe, you're welcome to him-and the amount of Anomen bashing the mod does speaks volumes about the writer's insecurity.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#7 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

Actually, I liked the Kelsey romance. :) He's not such a bad guy, he's well written, he's a pretty decent mage sorcerer, and he's sweet, and treats my PC well. The quests aren't bad either. I also really liked the romance he had with Imoen in ToB (in fact, I *really* appreciated having another couple in the party, I was happier knowing that my PC and her beloved weren't the only ones in love! :wub: ).

I would say play it, and decide for yourself. But I thought it was good. :P

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#8 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:40 AM

Actually, I liked the Kelsey romance. :)

Aww. You're only saying that because it's my birthday.

the amount of Anomen bashing the mod does speaks volumes about the writer's insecurity.

Aww. You're only saying that because it's my birthday.

#9 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

It made me want to remove the game, put it back in the box, wrap the box in lead and chains, and drop it in the Thames.

It integrates well with the vanilla game, voicing and portrait again - like others have said, it's just the character being the antithesis of everything I like in romanceable NPC.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#10 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

Character with only three emotional states: loving, sweet, and angry and evil and injustice. Fine. Character with the mental and emotional depth of a spoon. Fine, as long as its well-written. Which it is. Skirt-chaser in disguise as a sweet young virgin. Creepy, but okay. Pointlessly bashing Anomen and a truly horrid excuse for a romance with Imoen-not fine.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#11 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

I liked it.

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#12 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

Well, when I played with Kelsey for the first time, I liked him. But when I tried to play with with for the second time, in the middle of SoA I rather deleted all the saves with and uninstalled the mod. The ever-present Ano-bashing was too much even for me. So I would recommend you to play with him just ONE time and then quickly uninstall him.
Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#13 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

Well, when I played with Kelsey for the first time, I liked him. But when I tried to play with with for the second time, in the middle of SoA I rather deleted all the saves with and uninstalled the mod. The ever-present Ano-bashing was too much even for me. So I would recommend you to play with him just ONE time and then quickly uninstall him.

LOL, well I want a Sorcerer darnit (but not as my protagonist)!!

Happy Birthday, jcompton!

? Stewie Griffin

#14 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

It was the first romance mod I played. I thought it was cute and I liked it more than any of the Bioware romances. :) At the time though, I was still in awe that this fan made thing even existed..and worked!
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#15 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

Then go with Tashia, trust me.

#16 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

Then go with Tashia, trust me.

Sorry, Klorox, but Kelsey's an idiot. If you want a guy who's mentally still in middle school and can't seem to figure out he's not the center of the universe, you're welcome to him-and the amount of Anomen bashing the mod does speaks volumes about the writer's insecurity.

then quickly uninstall him.

It made me want to remove the game, put it back in the box, wrap the box in lead and chains, and drop it in the Thames.

XTREME ANTI KELSEY WITH NO SURFBOARD! :ph34r:

#17 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

Moved to IE Modding Discussion.

(Extra points for Kristin Kreuk avatar. :Tasty: )

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#18 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

(Extra points for Kristin Kreuk avatar. Tasty.gif )

What the hell? She turned animated on us!

Attached File  sarahm.bmp   55.17K   263 downloads

#19 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

It was ok.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#20 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:56 AM

I thought it was pretty good. I was amazed someone managed to put a character OF THEIR OWN into the game, actually. Still, I enjoyed meself while playing it.