How is the Kelsey romance?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:39 AM

It was pretty decent. Except some Anomen bashing bits creeped me out. Otherwise nothing too problematic in any aspect, unless you include him being too damned agreeable and somehow.. childlike.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#22 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:55 AM

Where can I find details of Taisha? I haven't been able to just view her stats or readme without actually installing the mod.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#23 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:36 AM

I agree about the Anomen bashing in the Kelsey mod, like how you can lead him on in ToB, that bugged me a bit... :( Poor lil Anomen.

You can find the Tashia stats here.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#24 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:45 AM

I have long said that Kelsey's greatest overall contribution to the game's storyline is the public rehabilitation of Anomen. It's in evidence here as well.

And nobody forces you to lead Anomen on in TOB. That's your choice as a player.

Edited by jcompton, 19 April 2008 - 08:46 AM.

#25 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:22 AM

The Anomen bashing is actually what seems to irk people the most, Jc. Even when Anomen "wins" banters with Kelsey, he always comes out looking like an arrogant [CENSORED]. Strange as it may seem to you, there are people who like Anomen, and regard his continual pummeling at Kelsey's hands as being on the excessive and unnecessary side.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#26 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

The Anomen bashing is actually what seems to irk people the most, Jc. Even when Anomen "wins" banters with Kelsey, he always comes out looking like an arrogant [CENSORED].

Well, yeah.

I deliberately write romance conflicts to show characters at or near their worst. This is not news, nor should it be terribly surprising to anybody who has ever been (or ever been anywhere near) a competing suitor.

Strange as it may seem to you, there are people who like Anomen

Strange as it may seem to you, I don't write dialogue to express my personal opinions about characters.

#27 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

The Anomen bashing is actually what seems to irk people the most, Jc. Even when Anomen "wins" banters with Kelsey, he always comes out looking like an arrogant [CENSORED].

Sounds like JC managed to keep Anomen in character then.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#28 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

I deliberately write romance conflicts to show characters at or near their worst.

Kelsey says hi. If that's him at his worst, then he's even more simplistic and vacant-minded than I thought. Which is saying something.

This is not news, nor should it be terribly surprising to anybody who has ever been (or ever been anywhere near) a competing suitor

To the contrary. Four years ago, I was the center of a feud between the man who's now my husband and another guy who was just my friend. They went so far out of their way to impress me, it was ridiculous. It was only after I proposed to my now-husband that I learned that he and the other guy had some pretty heated arguments-but neither one wanted to look bad in front of me, so they avoided arguing with each other in front of me at all costs.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#29 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

I really liked Kelsey but now prefer other romances. But Kelsey was one of the first and it is so well done and far more colourful and interesting to me than Solaufein. Yeah the Anomen bashing was annoying but (no offense to Beyond the Law) that writer's Anomen bashing makes Kelsey look like he's treating Anomen kindly.
My fave is Edwin but wish the flirts were more numerous but it looks like Eddie has been abandoned by his author.

Have you played other mod romances?

I would definately give Gavin a chance if you are playing BG1 at all (he's so sweet and well done!) and SOA is in progress. For now I am eagerly awaiting Ajantis and Darian for SOA and also Gavin.
Also Kivan is so sweet and well done but I haven't yet finished his TOB and of course Xan is also at the top of the list as to quality and content. And I am currently playing Sarah and Angelo. So far they are both GREAT!

#30 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

Yeah the Anomen bashing was annoying but (no offense to Beyond the Law) that writer's Anomen bashing makes Kelsey look like he's treating Anomen kindly.

Hee :) At this point I'm tempted to quote JC "Strange as it may seem to you, I don't write dialogue to express my personal opinions about characters."
I have Anomen in almost all my good parties (except for rare occasions where I take Keldorn and do not cheat to get another Gloves of Dex), since there's a general shortage of good, non-evil clerics, for his cool stats and for his uber exploding undead parlor tricks. That last one is a cincher.

I also occasionally play Anomen Romance because its kind of funny to see how he tries to impress the female PC. Still, Anomen is far from my favourite and when I play male characters he genuinely gets on my nerves.

My all-time favourite NPC character is Viconia. She gets in about the same position as Anomen in BTL, being a target for my NPCs ; where Anomen will seek to kill Kova, Kiyone will seek to kill Viconia.

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...

#31 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

I think the "Kelsey is bad because he bashes Anomen" argument has been used quite enough over the years, and doesn't need yet another rehash.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#32 VIIIofSwords

VIIIofSwords

I like women treacherous and manipulative.

• 594 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:39 PM

Personally, while I admire all the work that went into the mod, I found Kelsey himself to be rather tiring. The fact that I got tired of him faster than I did any other NPC (mod or not) surprised even me. He has his moments, but I'm not a big fan of the character overall.
"What do you do when there is an evil that your justice cannot defeat? Do you continue as you are, and allow the evil to fester? Or do you embrace one evil to defeat an evil greater still?"

"I used to dislike the idea of an unfair universe. Then I got to thinking: what if we did deserve all the awful things that happened to us, and didn't deserve any of the good? Suddenly, I found myself taking comfort in the thought of an inherently hostile and unfair universe."

VIII of Swords - my general, anything-goes blog

#33 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:08 PM

@VIII Of Swords - Hmm I guess you mean the romance progresses but the character does not develop significantly?

Edited by Zyraen, 20 April 2008 - 09:37 PM.

#34 VIIIofSwords

VIIIofSwords

I like women treacherous and manipulative.

• 594 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

@VIII Of Swords - Hmm I guess you mean the romance progresses but the character does not develop significantly?

Something like that, yeah. Then again, it has been a while since I had Kelsey in my game. My memory of how I viewed his character and the development thereof may be a little less than perfect.
"What do you do when there is an evil that your justice cannot defeat? Do you continue as you are, and allow the evil to fester? Or do you embrace one evil to defeat an evil greater still?"

"I used to dislike the idea of an unfair universe. Then I got to thinking: what if we did deserve all the awful things that happened to us, and didn't deserve any of the good? Suddenly, I found myself taking comfort in the thought of an inherently hostile and unfair universe."

VIII of Swords - my general, anything-goes blog

#35 Adia

Adia
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:11 PM

Personally, it is a pretty good romance, especially if you are looking for a romance that that fits in very well with the game and has lots of content.
Re: the Kelsey/Anomen content - I just never have them in the same party because I don't want to have them bitching at each other. Though I was surprised the time I played it through and chose Anomen that Kelsey is a right prat if you do.

I definitely think it is worth a play through.

...Though I wouldn't recommend reading the 'Bad Kelsey' challenge at PPG otherwise you generally consider Kelsey a dirty liar that will cheat on you in the long run ;)

#36 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:31 AM

XTREME ANTI KELSEY WITH NO SURFBOARD! :ph34r:

He deserves it :devil:

I think the "Kelsey is bad because he bashes Anomen" argument has been used quite enough over the years, and doesn't need yet another rehash.

I think I'll stick to my favourite quote "Victory to the Spider Gaider!" which shows my opinion quite well, I guess. :whistling:
Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#37 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:04 PM

Perhaps but please keep in mind that there are new people coming here and have likely never seen the old threads and to them it isn't a "rehash."
That said I pretty much agree and don't judge a mod romance just based on the Anomen content. At least I haven't so far.

Zyraen I am intrigued. I never had Kiyone and Viconia together. Sounds interesting!!!

#38 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

Zyraen I am intrigued. I never had Kiyone and Viconia together. Sounds interesting!!!

Unsurprising :) K&K are likely fixtures in good parties, which would be far more disposed to have folks like Anomen and Keldorn rather than figures (literally) like Viconia.

More than just physical attraction though, Viconia is fairly disturbing in that she manages to get under Kova's skin, or more correctly, Kova's scalp...

#39 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

Perhaps but please keep in mind that there are new people coming here and have likely never seen the old threads and to them it isn't a "rehash."

All they need to do is use the search function.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#40 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

All they need to do is use the search function.

This is a difficulty for some.. :ph34r:
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community