• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

This is something I've been meaning to do for a while, to help serve as a guide for modders creating new NPCs for BGII: SoA. It'll only take a few moments for you to fill out, so if you have a spare moment, it would be greatly appreciated!

Just five very simple questions--the shorter the answer, the better; a simple number is the best response we can get in this case!

When answering this, throw out all of your preconceptions--ignore the numbers current NPCs have; what would *you* like?
  • Approximately how long does it take you to play through Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn in hours? (or if you have two types of play, post both times!)
  • How much time do you prefer between romance/friendship dialogues?
  • How many dialogues is optimum for a friendship, in your opinion?
  • How many dialogues is optimum for a romance, in your opinion?
  • How many banters do you like per NPC pair?
:cheers:

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

I'll start off by answering myself... :)
  • 20 hours
  • 45 minutes
Simple as that--no need for any detailed answers, just approximate ones! :cheers:

#3 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

1. 15 hrs for inclusive of ToB
10 hrs Shadows of Amn, if all the way.
about 4 hrs if on a for-fun game (basically once I get all the good gear and victory is assured, I quit...)
2. 10-20 mins
3. 7
4. 11 (excluding quest etc) plus 3 resting
5. 3

Edit : just noticed it was Shadows of Amn...

Edited by Zyraen, 26 April 2008 - 08:36 PM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#4 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

1. Approximately how long does it take you to play through Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn in hours? (or if you have two types of play, post both times!)

Playing for fun: 20 hours
Playtesting: 100+ hours

2. How much time do you prefer between romance/friendship dialogues?

40 min

3. How many dialogues is optimum for a friendship, in your opinion?

Depends on the friendship.
10-15

4. How many dialogues is optimum for a romance, in your opinion?

20-30

5. How many banters do you like per NPC pair?

3-4

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#5 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

Approximately how long does it take you to play through Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn in hours? (or if you have two types of play, post both times!)

Normal: 20-25 hours
Fun: 3-5 hours

How much time do you prefer between romance/friendship dialogues?

Doesn't matter. AdvanceRealTime makes the answer "Whenever I feel like it".

How many dialogues is optimum for a friendship, in your opinion?

Really depends on the npc-10 or so in most cases.

How many dialogues is optimum for a romance, in your opinion?

However many it needs as long as it doesn't go overboard. :) 20 or so seems about right.

How many banters do you like per NPC pair?

At least two, but as many as the writer can do well.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#6 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:04 PM

1. Around 30. I tend to be a little slow and I insist on doing all the subquests and stuff.
2. 45 minutes.
3. 15-20.
4. 20-25.
5. Well, the more the merrier, but.. at least three.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#7 Psycho Data

Psycho Data

The Ubiquitous Mrs. Badcrumble

• Modder
  • 1141 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:32 PM

1. Approximately how long does it take you to play through Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn in hours? (or if you have two types of play, post both times!)

I...I honestly have no idea. I never keep track. Maybe 20? 30? 15? Pi? I just don't know.

About a half hour or so...Unless I feel like using AdvanceRealTime (Because I have no patience)

As many as you can give me without the entire friendship becoming banal.

Eleventy billion. Actually, as many as you can give me without the romance becoming insipid and uninspired.

However many needed to extrapolate the relationship, I suppose. Really, I enjoy reading, and since I have a pathological fear of this new invention called "A Book", I must feed my brain on digital words.*

*Note: Noccy does not actually suffer bibliophobia. It is a well-documented fact, however, that she does indeed suffer greatly from arachibutyrophobia and dutchphobia.

batman_zps6ce9b37b.gif?t=1370679402

#8 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:10 AM

1. I have never timed myself, but I'd guess 40-45 hours. I'm one of those who stops to talk to anything, who rests the moment my spells are out. I've probably wasted 2 hours talking to commoners, yes commoners.

2. As little as reasonably possible. Obviously a dialogue every minute might irritate, but I'd probably be interested(if the NPC were good) in dialogs as little as every 15 minutes. (See next points)

3. As much as can fill the entire gaming time.

4. As much as can fill the entire gaming time.

5. As many as fit for the pair, and as many as the author feels like writing. I will read them all.

As you can see, I like Banter. Lots and lots of it. :)

Edited by Kellen, 27 April 2008 - 06:10 AM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#9 Abigail

Abigail
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

1. 20-25
2. 45 minutes
3. 15+, but (see below)
4. 20+, but many more are welcome, just like in friendship talks. I suppose I'd like some meaningful core talks + just some chats (like flirts, but more complex)
5. 3+, but the more the more better, as long as there are ideas :)

I love banters :)
my deviantart account ---> http://prozakc-blues.deviantart.com

#10 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

• 30+ as an estimate although I don't actually know. I spend an inordinate amount of time managing my party and talking to or investigating everything for the nth time.
  • 30 minutes seems good. It's easy for the player to change this setting.
  • As many as the friendship needs to develop fully. Dialogues are what add the most new interest to replaying with new NPCs.
  • As above.
  • As above.
:Bow::cheers: Great idea for a poll, L. Mods are products and products are customer-driven.

I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#11 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

• About 38 hours since I generally try to do everything, even if I'm cheating for impatient reasons. :D
  • 30 minutes is optimal, unless I'm testing dialogues.
  • 12 friendship talks is adequate in my opinion.
  • 20 romance talks, since they are a bit longer and more personal than friendship.
  • 3 Banters is usually enough, more are always welcome, so long as they don't get excessive in number (ie: 15) :)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#12 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

1. To test from 5 mins to 10 h.
To play, 20h+
2. 15mins
3. 5, but more the merrier, if they have content.
4. 1 :devil:
5. 5, :whistling: but more the merrier...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#13 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

Fantastic--keep them coming!

As I mentioned earlier, though, the more specific the better--once we have a fair amount of set numbers I'm gonna do the maths and post up some results for averages, and continue updating it when we get a fair amount more. :)

#14 Miss Sakaki

Miss Sakaki

Modder

• Modder
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:59 AM

No idea, I'm afraid. It's been a long time since I've played all the way through.

30 minutes for romances, 45 minutes for friendships.

10-15, but more or less depending what sort of material it is. I wouldn't want the dialogues to be stretched beyond a length that feels comfortable.

20-30 (plus see above)

3-4

#15 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:20 AM

1) About 100 hours. I do everything and go everywhere.

2) about 20 minutes between romance/ friendship banters.

3) 15+ dialogues for a friendship.

4) 20- 30 depending on the romance and character.

5) Ideally as many as possible, but generally 3+

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#16 Phlegmatic

Phlegmatic
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

1. Errrr..... Guessing here but maybe around 10-15 hours, leaning closer to 10.
2. Unless Im trying to see a lot quickly, 25-30 minutes. Just call it 30.
3. 12
4. 20/+ if its really great.
5. 3 at least
"And when you die, you'll become something worse than dead - you'll become........a legend"

#17 VIIIofSwords

VIIIofSwords

I like women treacherous and manipulative.

• 594 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

Around 10 to 15 hours, when playing good or neutral. My evil PCs tend to go through the game a lot faster, clocking in at around 5 or 6 hours.

Around 40 to 45 minutes is good.

Depends on the character, but I'd wager 8 to 10 would be a good range.

15 to 20, depending on the character.

3 or 4, but that may vary depending on the pair.
"What do you do when there is an evil that your justice cannot defeat? Do you continue as you are, and allow the evil to fester? Or do you embrace one evil to defeat an evil greater still?"

"I used to dislike the idea of an unfair universe. Then I got to thinking: what if we did deserve all the awful things that happened to us, and didn't deserve any of the good? Suddenly, I found myself taking comfort in the thought of an inherently hostile and unfair universe."

VIII of Swords - my general, anything-goes blog

#18 Naxylldritt

Naxylldritt
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:17 AM

1. Speed Run/Fun Game: about 30 or so hours; Playing Everything: well over 75 hours, I think (I never time myself, I'm too busy completing quests...)
2. 30 minutes.
3. 15 sounds good.
4. Somewhere around 20, enough to be lasting, but not too much to lose my attention.
5. Anything above 3, as long as it's quality stuff. The more, the merrier, I say!

banner.png

RNHome is now a subsidary of Finlandcycles. Check it out!

#19 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

I can't answer 1, because I honestly don't know. I am a slow player, though.

2 - like Tempest - whenever I feel like it.

3,4&5 - the more the merrier. And I MEAN it. I can't remember any mod that I have ever played with which I didn't run out of friendship/romance talks and banters prematurely. I enjoy lots of *real* content. Main reason while I loved P:T so. Life and experience are so much more than fighting, or fetching balorian beer. Imho it's the dialogues that signify an RPG.
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#20 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:01 AM

Any more numbers, people? :cheers: Would love to hear what more people think!