Photo

BGT XP CAP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:42 AM

I've don't found a description about the BGT XP Cap function which is installed with BGT.

What the XP Cap exactly does in BG1?

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:51 AM

Well it doesn't allow your character to have more experience point than the cap number. In the plain BG it's 89 000Xp(the SoA starting XP), BGTotSC 161000Xp, BG2:SoA 2 950 000Xp, and BG2:ToB 8 000 000Xp, unless it's uncapped that is. The Cap in BGT(capped) is 8 000 000 Xp.

The reason why this is, is to prevent the player for becoming too tough to be beaten by even the toughest of enemies with ease. Solo anyone.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 29 April 2008 - 12:55 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:36 AM

To confirm, BGT-WeiDU does not change the experience cap intrinsic to BG2:ToB.
If you install other mods that change the experience cap, the experience cap will be whatever that mod changes the cap to.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#4 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:14 AM

In addition the experience gained from picking locks, disarming traps, and scribing scrolls is moved out. And this you can restore with BGT Tweak pack. Right?

19. Restore BG2 XP bonus for traps, locks, and scrolls (for BGT-WeiDU v1.05): This component restores the original amount of experience gained from picking locks, disarming traps, and scribing scrolls, which was reduced in BGT-WeiDU v1.05. Using this component on version of BGT-WeiDU prior to v1.05 will produce no effect. It is recommended that you install this when you transition to Shadows of Amn.

Is it possible to remove the XP Cap, too? Or does it another mod?

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
- Chevalier

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

Right?

Right.

Is it possible to remove the XP Cap, too? Or does it another mod?

It's is possible to do, but for big mods such as tBWP, it's best that is changed by the G3BG2Tweak pack cause the experience tables have to be made for the +40 level chars, as in the normal game, there isn't them even if you remove the level cap. The G3BG2Tweak pack also has rule set that is utiliced so the maximum char level is 50... (Thac0 tables etc.)

#6 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

It's is possible to do, but for big mods such as tBWP, it's best that is changed by the G3BG2Tweak pack cause the experience tables have to be made for the +40 level chars, as in the normal game, there isn't them even if you remove the level cap. The G3BG2Tweak pack also has rule set that is utiliced so the maximum char level is 50... (Thac0 tables etc.)

I think you mean this component of the BG2 Tweaks (from the ReadMe):

Change Experience Point Cap
In Baldur's Gate II, characters have a maximum experience point cap of 2,950,000 with Shadows of Amn or 8,000,000 with Throne of Bhaal. In Tutu (Baldur's Gate), these caps are 89,000 in the standard game and 161,000 with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion. This component will allow you to alter the experience point cap in one of three ways:

Remove completely (characters can advance without restriction up to level 50)

This component will remove the XP Cap of BGT, too. With it you can play complete through BGT (BG1+BG2+ToB) with a Level 50 Ruleset like of TDD or BP without XP Caps.
Have I understand you correctly?

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

Yes.

Although there is a small difference, between the G3BG2 Tweaks pack and the other's, because of the original experience tables(40 level rules) had a experience jump on last thief class level up so the 8 million level cap could be reached in 40 levels, which was reflected to the 10 levels after in the TDD and BP.(or so I have heard :whistling: )

#8 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

Yes.

Although there is a small difference, between the G3BG2 Tweaks pack and the other's, because of the original experience tables(40 level rules) had a experience jump on last thief class level up so the 8 million level cap could be reached in 40 levels, which was reflected to the 10 levels after in the TDD and BP.(or so I have heard :whistling: )

Jarno Mikkola thank you very much for your information.

Ascension64 have you think about a component that the player can choose, to remove the XP Cap in BGT or BGT Tweaks?

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#9 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:00 PM

Ascension64 have you think about a component that the player can choose, to remove the XP Cap in BGT or BGT Tweaks?

There are around many XP Cap Remover and similar for BG2 ... u can/should use those and u get it ;-)

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#10 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:14 AM

No. I don't believe it is reasonable to say there is an XP cap for BGT, since BGT doesn't change the XP cap at all. I could incorporate a component into BGT Tweaks to alter the XP cap, but I think current mods out there do a good job already.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#11 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

No. I don't believe it is reasonable to say there is an XP cap for BGT, since BGT doesn't change the XP cap at all. I could incorporate a component into BGT Tweaks to alter the XP cap, but I think current mods out there do a good job already.

Thanks for your information. I agree with it.

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#12 eron_the_relentless

eron_the_relentless
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

I installed the BG2 Tweaks pack but during the process (DOS Window) I think I selected NO for removing the experience point cap. Is there some way to go in and manually do this afterwards? Do I modify baldur.ini, use ShadowKeeper? 

Thanks,

MC

#13 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I installed the BG2 Tweaks pack but during the process (DOS Window) I think I selected NO for removing the experience point cap. Is there some way to go in and manually do this afterwards? Do I modify baldur.ini, use ShadowKeeper?

Nope, you edit the file called "xpcap.2da" that should be in your game directory's/override -folder, I would use the Notepad and make sure you don't have the Word Wrap enables, and then you just set the numbers you want to the ends of the lines, here's the normal BG2 one. The "-1" the mod puts there makes the limit endless so it's uncapped then, you might want to put it to be 161000 while you are at BG1's and then just re-edit the file when you move to the BG2, as that's the original BG1 & TotSC limit. Or if you don't happen to have the file there, you can copy paste this to a text file and save it as (all files) "xpcap.2da" and put it to the folder.

2DA V1.0
			VALUE  
MAGE 			161000 
FIGHTER 		161000 
CLERIC 			161000 
THIEF 			161000 
BARD 			161000 
PALADIN 		161000 
DRUID 			161000 
RANGER 			161000 
FIGHTER_MAGE 		161000 
FIGHTER_CLERIC		161000 
FIGHTER_THIEF 		161000 
FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF 	161000 
MAGE_THIEF 		161000 
CLERIC_MAGE 		161000 
CLERIC_THIEF 		161000 
FIGHTER_DRUID 		161000 
FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC 	161000 
CLERIC_RANGER 		161000 
MONK 			161000 
SORCERER		161000 

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 28 February 2013 - 04:50 PM.