الف شكر

#42 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

الف شكر

Translation: Thousand thanks

No problem. Drog Black Tooth did such good work with the patch that it was only logical to collect all the information in one place.

For future reference, keep in mind that this is an English speaking forum.

#43 centrius

centrius
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

(cant delete this post)

Edited by centrius, 14 May 2011 - 02:44 AM.

#44 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

Hi,

I tried to install the patch, but it claims my version of Arcanum is not in english. I ran arcanum.exe and everything appeared in english...any ideas why the patch thinks the game is not in english?

#45 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

Hi,

I tried to install the patch, but it claims my version of Arcanum is not in english. I ran arcanum.exe and everything appeared in english...any ideas why the patch thinks the game is not in english?

#46 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

No idea. Try installing Arcanum again and make sure that you haven't selected any possible localization options that might be present in your version of the game.

#47 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

Well i checked and for some reason the stat icons in the character screen seem to be in russian...ran the installer again and it askes me to select between english and russian...

I did manage to install the patch manually but im kind of stuck while trying to get poison from Grumwald in black root. I manage to persuade him to sell me the poison, but he just says "100 coins, no more, no less" and the only option i have is to leave, even though i have more than 5k gold on me.

Some other questions :

-How do i get virgil to heal magnus?

-Does the heal skill affect magical healing spells at all?

-Can you control the way your followers level up?

#48 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

Oh and where is the save folder? Im going to try a reinstall to see if it fixes anything, but i doubt it.

#49 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

And how do i get virgil to lock pick a door? He has the skill...but i cant figure out how to make him use it.

#50 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

Save games (from what I recall) are kept somewhere in the directory the game is installed at, there should be a new folder created after you've made your first save.

As for your companions, they're fairly self-sufficient in regards to keeping health up. Mind you the AI isn't the best judge though in what to do; if Virgil was to try and heal Magnus for example, there's a high possibility pretty much every spell he throws will be useless thanks to the short guy's beard of Victorian nanotechnology. Same is true with any PC or NPC who is likewise too far in the pocket of science.

Skills like lockpick, will be automatically attempted by your followers if they have high enough skill to actually be of any use. Simply attempting to do it yourself (with lockpicks, provided your skill isn't higher) will trigger this, mind you, they're not all that reliable - best if you invest in it at some point and save yourself some painful headaches in the future.

Not entirely sure about heal myself; it might affect magic, but if it does, the impact is hardly major.

And lastly: none sadly, the player has no control over how an NPC will distribute their points, outside of actually messing around with their leveling script (not recommended). They'll typically fall into the role of bodyguard quite nicely, no matter who you choose to follow you. But if you intended Magnus to go pure mage for example, then you'd be in a sticky situation to say the least. ;)

Hope that rambling clears up some of it. :)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#51 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:38 AM

The problem i see is that Virgil stands there watching magnus get poisoned, and he doesnt try to cast any spells at all...he only casts spells when magnus starts asking for help at 10% hp or so, which is just far too dangerous.

#52 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

Oh and how do i get magnus to learn a pyrothechnic axe schematic, and repair items? I put a broken item in his inventory, he does nothing...

#53 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

Also, what makes magic damage increase?

#54 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

Okay so i put some fatigue restorers into virgil's inventory...but he wont use them despite being at near 0 fatigue. Whats going on?

#55 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

And how do i repair items if my magic apttitude is too high to talk to blacksmits? (I wish there was a mod to remove the talking restrictions, it is very annoying).

#56 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

Virgil's AI doesn't usually respond well to people with high intolerance to magic when afflicted with ailments like poison. He might try to be a heal monkey for everything involving HP, but status ailments? Nah, time for a union break.

Item usage in Arcanum is a bit off compared to most other RPGs. Your best bet is to simply keep all restorative items that you intend to use; including ones that would be useless on yourself (ie: salves on a mage, potions on a technomancer), and do it yourself whenever the need arises. Giving items to other characters when it isn't a weapon, or an item they can otherwise equip is essentially useless for anything save them being a pack-mule. ^_^

Magic damage, you needn't worry too much about. The damage output of some of your most basic spells throughout the game can render the whole damn thing into a one-hit kill scenario by the time it's nearly over. So abuse Harm and like as much as you wish, they'll do a good job with pretty much 90% of all enemies in the game, it'll hurt no matter what. :)

As for the vendors, yeah, it is an unfortunate limitation. That said, there's nothing stopping you from taking a few steps back on the pathway to greatness. It is the extremes they fear after all. And if I recall correctly (going off months' old memory again) you need to talk with Magnus with the stuff you want repaired actually in your own inventory. If that fails, all I can really recommend is to hold off on using valuable items until you know you'll need them; or learn repair yourself.

Also again, you cannot control how characters level up. Schematics that can be learnt by level up will only be learnt if they're scripted to learn it. As for the ones you can find around the place, I can't recall. But I don't think they can do that either. One more reason to become a technomancer I guess. ;)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

~***~***~***~

#57 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:43 AM

Looks like i found a bug. I teleported to shrouded hills to identify/sell some stuff. He kept complaining that we werent at the wheel clan yet even though we had spent like 10 mins in shrodued hills, and at some point he left my party. My save is AFTER this (i didnt notice he ran off). Is there any way to get him back?

#58 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:03 AM

Him being thorvald.

How do you get into the wheel clan if you dont have the schematics or throvald?

#59 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:26 AM

Well there's a number of ways of dealing with Thorvald, which I dare say are fairly generic in their own right considering it is Arcanum after all. Firstly you can convince him to join (and head there immediately; he is not intended to be a permanent member).

Secondly, you can convince him to simply hand over the glasses. Third option naturally is either kill or rob (pickpocket) him of his vaunted treasure, and then lastly you could steal the schematics in the chest in his room, then hop on over to Ashbury and pay a visit to the local spectacles shop with the schematics in hand. Mind you; the last option is probably the least recommended thanks to the fact you'll also need some kathorn crystals in order to make the copied glasses. As long as you know where they are, and have the glasses, wear them at the site and Bob's your uncle. :)

After that the glasses are useless, not even needed to see the passage again (thank goodness).

Also no, I don't think there is a way to recruit him again if he leaves in a hissy fit. Can't even knock him out and drag him along, tsk, ah but we can dream...

~***~***~***~

#60 -Dev-

-Dev-

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

It was good to see at least a little life about this game after so long. I played when it first came out, but my original discs got damaged and I got it from gog for a good price. It was and is a great game. Thanks to the "Master" for gathering up all the links in one place and eternal gratitude to Drog for their great mod work.