Photo

Least Favorite BG2 NPC!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Least Favorite BG2 NPC! (131 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is your least favorite BG2 NPC?

1. Aerie (15 votes [11.45%])

Percentage of vote: 11.45%

2. Anomen (13 votes [9.92%])

Percentage of vote: 9.92%

3. Cernd (19 votes [14.50%])

Percentage of vote: 14.50%

4. Edwin (7 votes [5.34%])

Percentage of vote: 5.34%

5. Haer'Dalis (11 votes [8.40%])

Percentage of vote: 8.40%

6. Imoen (3 votes [2.29%])

Percentage of vote: 2.29%

7. Jaheria (5 votes [3.82%])

Percentage of vote: 3.82%

8. Jan (11 votes [8.40%])

Percentage of vote: 8.40%

9. Keldorn (2 votes [1.53%])

Percentage of vote: 1.53%

10. Korgan (7 votes [5.34%])

11. Mazzy (10 votes [7.63%])

Percentage of vote: 7.63%

12. Minsc (3 votes [2.29%])

13. Nalia (10 votes [7.63%])

Percentage of vote: 7.63%

14. Sarevok (7 votes [5.34%])

15. Valygar (3 votes [2.29%])

16. Viconia (2 votes [1.53%])

Percentage of vote: 1.53%

17. Yoshimo (3 votes [2.29%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Amaurea

Amaurea

Thread Killer Extraordinaire

• 409 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:36 AM

Korgan. He's just plain crude. I can build other tanks.

I'm another female who's not on the Eddie bandwagon. Then again, I'm not exactly in the fangirly age range.

#22 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:20 AM

Nor am I, but I always liked him (even before I found out there was a romance mod, heh heh). He's just fun to have around.

Picked Aerie - whine whine whine. STFU about your wings, bitch! Ugh.
Korgan comes second. I have to agree with Amaurea on this one. I plain don't like him and his fake Scottish accent.
Anomen is only really awful if you try to romance him. And I wish he wouldn't shout constantly, but he is at least a competent cleric and fighter. I prefer him to Vicky for that because when he turns undead, they explode - when she turns them, they just go green, which is no good to me if I want to kill them. Exploding mummies is mucho fun! If he came fitted with a ball gag, he'd be great.
Cernd, Mazzy and HD just come into the category of not often played, but I don't hate any of them. I really like Valygar.

#23 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:51 AM

Anomen is most certainly like Edwin in that you most likely either love or hate him it seems

Anomen can be a great tank especially if you get the bracers of dex and put em on him!

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#24 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

I find most of them okay, except for Jan. For some reason, he just irritates me. It could be that I just find him ridiculously hard to write for, but I never play through the game with him either.

I agree. Jan's stories became boring after the first time I went through them. I do somewhat enjoy writing for him, though.

Four simple steps for writing for Jan:

1. Think of a wildly improbable story.

2. Add turnips and distant relatives to it.

3. Write the story in as non-linear fashion as you can.

4. Repeat steps 1 through 3.

And presto! You have your Jan banters. :D
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#25 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

Aerie. Having her in your party is like babysitting a pre-pubescent cheerleader. Only, like, less fun.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#26 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:12 PM

The thing I hate most about Aerie is the fact that she continues to whine about her wing trauma (which happened years before the events of the game) even though most of the other NPCs are going through more immediate personal traumas. Self-centred or what?

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#27 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

I find most of them okay, except for Jan. For some reason, he just irritates me. It could be that I just find him ridiculously hard to write for, but I never play through the game with him either.

I agree. Jan's stories became boring after the first time I went through them. I do somewhat enjoy writing for him, though.

Four simple steps for writing for Jan:

1. Think of a wildly improbable story.

2. Add turnips and distant relatives to it.

3. Write the story in as non-linear fashion as you can.

4. Repeat steps 1 through 3.

And presto! You have your Jan banters. :D

My main problem is that his inane stories are wildly overdone for pretty much every mod--in my opinion, there really should be a point to his rambling. :D I get tired of those banters, and want more depth or at least something different. But ah well. :D Thanks, though!

#28 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

My main problem is that his inane stories are wildly overdone for pretty much every mod--in my opinion, there really should be a point to his rambling. :D I get tired of those banters, and want more depth or at least something different. But ah well. :D Thanks, though!

Well, I was only half serious. :D

Yep, putting a point to everything is the hard part.

Allow me to add a fifth step (to be inserted before step 4).

~ Somehow put a roundabout point inside the long rambling you've just composed. ~

There. Better. :lol:
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#29 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

How about a mod where Jan gets a piece of turnip lodged in his windpipe and can't speak for the rest of the game? :devil:

#30 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

I voted Viconia, but thinking about it, I'm taking that back.

Keldorn. I don't dislike him, certainly not like the Drow, but she at least inspired a reaction in me. And when she bowed stiffly without emotion to Ellesime after saving the city with Drizzt, I was torn. I didn't know what to think. Shge inspired some very big reactions in me.

But Keldorn really didn't do much for me. I honestly have no strong feeling, and in that I would have to call him the biggest failure.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#31 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:49 AM

Nalia. I hate limosine liberals in real life, and it's no different in this game.

If I had a second vote it would be for Viconia. she's just so overrated.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#32 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

Sorry, Minsc, but it's going to have to be you. I'm like Sammi in the regard that I don't really dislike any of the characters, but, forced to choose, it's Minsc 100%. I'm just - waiting for the IEP to get his friendship path done so I can finally enjoy an expanded version of his character.

He won't shut up about Justice, Honour, Righteousness and Boo. Seriously, please, I really want to create (or have created, rather) a mod which makes a mini-store in Athkatla and Saradush which sells duct tape and rope, so we can tie the mouths and hands of the NPCs we don't like up.

He's just so ... bloody annoying!

Hm...once you're done with this mod (if you're not already done), please get it hosted somewhere, and then give me the link. That could be useful for the times I get tired of hearing Jan's stories.
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#33 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:09 PM

Several of the women were neck and neck, but Aerie pulled ahead for the win.

Nalia's "Why aren't you doing something to help the poor *right now*?" gets old quick. Jaheira's a harpy. Viconia's dominatrix routine is a bit tiresome after a while. But none of these can compare to Aerie's ingenuous whining. Her sweetness is cloying, her brand of goodness, oppressive. And to top it all off, she's manipulative. Sorry, Aerie, I'm not buying your damsel in distress act. The guys might find your sham helplessness endearing, but I don't buy it. The only thing worse than someone who preys on the weak is someone who isn't weak, but pretends to be in order to get attention or to get her way.

Out of the men, the only two that bug me are Cernd and Edwin. I'm not attracted to sarcasm, so Edwin doesn't hold much appeal to me. As for Cernd, he reminds me too much of one of those deadbeat dads who makes up endless excuses to avoid taking responsibility for anything. "Sorry, dear, I must leave you and end our marriage because I want to be a druid. What was that? No, darling, druids aren't allowed to be married. Just ask Jaheira? or maybe you'd better not ask Jaheira. Yes, I know that you haven't gotten the results from your pregnancy test back yet, but I've got to serve Nature." And his parables are annoying.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#34 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:18 AM

Several of the women were neck and neck, but Aerie pulled ahead for the win.
Nalia's "Why aren't you doing something to help the poor *right now*?" gets old quick. Jaheira's a harpy. Viconia's dominatrix routine is a bit tiresome after a while. But none of these can compare to Aerie's ingenuous whining. Her sweetness is cloying, her brand of goodness, oppressive. And to top it all off, she's manipulative. Sorry, Aerie, I'm not buying your damsel in distress act. The guys might find your sham helplessness endearing, but I don't buy it. The only thing worse than someone who preys on the weak is someone who isn't weak, but pretends to be in order to get attention or to get her way.

Ditto. :rolleyes: I couldn't have said it better myself!!! (No really, I couldn't have, I'm completely inarticulate. :D )

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#35 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:33 AM

I think you summed up the women nicely there, Berelinde. Jaheira is the lesser of the three evils for me - she does mellow a bit, though I get tired of her bossiness so if I'm not playing a male PC and romancing her, she stays in her cage.It's not that I'm being cruel to leave her there - it's just that I prefer to pretend she was never in the game, seeing as I never take her through BG (the "omnipresent authority figure" thing pisses me off.)
Viconia is OK but you're right, her bitch act gets old. And even though I wish he were fitted with a ball gag, I prefer Anomen as a cleric for his exploding undead trick.

As for Edwin, I guess I like him because he reminds me of my boyfriend. (Who doesn't have a nose piercing or a beard, but he is extremely sarcastic and doesn't suffer fools gladly. I'm pretty sure that if he ever appeared on a reality TV show, he'd be the villain. :D There is a cuddly side but only I get to see that. ;) )

#36 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:53 AM

GENERAL COMMENT: It seems there are a great many people who dislike a great number of the Bioware NPCs for various reasons, all generally justified except when you unfeeling brutes slag off Aerie. Well, I've had a TERRIFIC idea...

Let's get together a whole bunch of genius-type geniuses who can CREATE NEW CHARACTERS for us to play! We can call this new bunch of NPCs something imaginative... "mobs", maybe. You would be able to play all the way through SoA and ToB with five brand-new companions.

God, I'm brilliant. It's a pretty ambitious idea, though. I wonder if anyone would go for it?

** But seriously: I really hope every modder reads this thread and takes great heart from it. There is pitifully little feedback to modders telling them how much their work is appreciated. We download, we play, we move on to the next mod... Well, this thread is the evidence that we want all those new NPCs!

I think I'll start a new game with Saerileth (paladin) and Yasraena (fighter) as tanks; Tashia as sorcerer; Fade as thief; the enhanced Viconia as cleric; and me as the Orlando Bloomish PC cleric-mage wondering which one of the ladies I'm going to romance.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#37 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:00 AM

Trust me, I'm extremely grateful to the modders out there for providing me with an alternative to romancing Anomen. I've had a blast with both Angelo and Edwin and am looking forward to trying some others. It's nice to have a romance where you can look forward to the lovetalks instead of thinking "Oh god, how much more of your boasting do I have to put up with, you jackass?"

#38 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:26 AM

OOh, wow, I feel the hate!! :D
But Cal has a point. I sure hope I have expressed enough enthusiasm to satisfy Kulyok, Domi, Berelinde, JCompton and all the other modders whose mods I've played and loved.
Let me state here and now that I probably wouldn't be playing BG2 anymore if it weren't for all you modders out there, so a huge 'thank you' is in order. :wub:
(yes, the lovie smiley is perhaps a bit too much, but... still... you guys deserve it! :lol: )

Edited because I can't seem to post without forgetting to type key words in sentences... :D

Edited by Eleima, 30 May 2008 - 01:26 AM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#39 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:12 AM

Indeed one of the main reasons I have come back to this game is the great modders...I honestly though I was done with this game quite awhile ago but great games never die it seems...which is good!

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#40 Elamshin

Elamshin
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:48 AM

My least favorite npc? Well I must say that: Cernd and Jaheira. Cernd is a boring guy and his talks... only coffee can help! About Jaheira... she's like a mother-in-law :P
Posted Image

Silence, I'll kill you! :)