Dialogue Bug with V2.0

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

I've just started playing Iylos today (after completing SoA) and came across a couple of oddities.

I'd completed Saradush and got to the throne room to take on Gromnir. Melissan starts her piece and Iylos has an interjection (something about watching myself as not all is as it seems, or somesuch), then starts on about what a lovely sunrise it is, and how it will rain later. Then there are some dialogue options regarding meditation. Hmm, I think, that doesn't sound like it belongs there - it's obviously part of a dialogue that shouldn't happen at that point. Curious...
I had to click on Melissan again to reinitiate her Gromnir talk, whereupon she's arrested and the fight begins.
Anyway, Gromnir takes a dirt nap and I saunter off to see Nyalee. She says her piece, and Iylos interjects again, with something about her, followed by the same sunrise conversation as before. Arf! Once again I have to click on Nyalee to get her to say the end of her spiel (so my journal can be updated).

Some time later, I eventually get the proper meditation conversation, with the full dialogue. Since then it's not reoccurred, so I'm guessing that conversation has now been flagged as done, or however it works.

WeiDU log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension v1.41 (requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #3 // Tougher Gromnir (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #4 // Tougher Illasera (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #5 // Tougher Yaga-Shura (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #6 // Restored Crooked Crane Inn
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Corrected Character Names and Biographies
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #18 // Restored Minor Dialogs
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #20 // Extended ToB Item Descriptions
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #24 // Sarevok's Remorse
~VICONIA/SETUP-VICONIA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Viconia Friendship SoA: 1
~ANGELO/SETUP-ANGELO.TP2~ #0 #0 // Angelo NPC MOD for Baldur's Gate II, v3
~ANGELO/SETUP-ANGELO.TP2~ #0 #1 // Angelo's alternative portraits -> Angelo's portrait, edited by SisterVigilante
~IYLOS/IYLOS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Iylos NPC for BGII:ToB: 2
~IYLOS/IYLOS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Install extended content (PID, more interjections, friendship, scenery & plot dialogues)?: 2
~IYLOS/IYLOS.TP2~ #0 #5 // How much time would you like in between Iylos' PC dialogues? -> 45 Minutes: 2
~SETUP-EDWINROMANCE.TP2~ #0 #0 // EdwinRomance
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EDWINTOB.TP2~ #1 #0 // Romance d?Edwin ToB
~SETUP-EDWINTOB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Edwin Romance ToB
~SETUP-EDWINTOB.TP2~ #0 #1 // New ending for Viconia Romance by Laufey

NB: Viconia and Angelo not in party for this game. Edwin Romance active and proceeding as intended.

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

Hrm! Okay, will take a look...

Found the problem--actions occur after those interjections, which make them fuck up. I've just removed the Melissan one, since it's a bit superfluous, and moved the location of the Nyalee one. I'll release a v2.1 later today. Thank you! If you find anything else, I'll do my best to fix the problem immediately.

I've attached the fixed dialogue. While the bug isn't fatal, it's a little annoying, so in the mean time just throw this file in the iylos/extended directory, overwriting the previous one, and reinstall. (Cal, you might not need to do this since you've already had them :)).

I very much appreciate the feedback--if you have any other comments I'd love to hear them, too. :)

Attached Files

#3 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

Thanks. He's an interesting character so far, and his ability to be unaffected by timestop makes him pretty powerful (especially as I have Edwin and Immy in party, both of whom can cast it).
If I find anything else I'll let you know.

#4 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

OK well, not great news - I had the same bug again, this time with an interjection with Demogorgon (the first time you speak to him, before using the scroll).

#5 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

Argh :D Okay, I'll let you play through before releasing v2.2, to ensure there aren't any others. Fixed it for now.

And it is great news! Because it means the errors will be fixed sooner for other players! :cheers:

Edit: Hmm, it seems I may just need to come up with a better way of handling interjections. Will spend some time on it tonight. :)

#6 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:51 AM

That was very quick - 10/10 for speed!
I had no problems with the dying monk interjection (in Abazigal's lair) even though Sarevok and Imoen also had something to say at that point, or with any of his dialogue in Amkethran. I am quite surprised he didn't say anything when I killed all those monks in the smugglers' cave, mind...

I'll be finished with ToB either tonight or tomorrow so will let you know if anything else crops up. Hopefully not.
He has talked to my PC a few times (he's almost friendly now...) although he hasn't had any banters with my other NPCs as yet - (I am running with Imoen, Edwin, Anomen and Sarevok). I suspect these are more random, though, no?

#7 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:06 AM

Yeah, his banters are just on the game timer--if you don't have a banter accelerator installed I'd recommend that. He has 2-3 banters with each NPC, so there's a fair bit there!

I completely forgot about the monks in the smuggler's cave--I'll take a look at it when I do up the next version and add something to it. :)

#8 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

I managed to see quite a few of his banters in the end (good ol' Ctrl-I!)

However, v.2.0 causes some serious (ie game stopping) problems in the Throne of Bhaal finale, to the extent I had to reload an earlier save and boot him out of party. Which is a real shame as I wanted to see his ending.

The first problem is when Balthazar is telling you about the mana pools, after you've killed Bodhi and Irenicus (in Ascension, obviously). Iylos must interject, or try, because I got the second half of a conversation I'd not seen before (something to do with him telling you off, and then you say you were the one who helped him organise his pack last night, or somesuch). At this point, the bridge should appear between the main platform and the mana pool. It doesn't. I had to reload, do that fight again, then boot him from party until the mana bridge had appeared, then re-recruit him.
The rest of the fight went as you'd expect until it came to the final dialogues. Again Balthazar had a speech about giving up his essence, and Iylos butted in with half a conversation about cooking. I had to go and talk to the Solar again to get her to continue.
Then it comes to the part where everyone says whether they think you should take your godhood or not. Balthazar got stuck in a looping dialogue and I had to Alt-F4 out. So now I have to go back and do it all again, minus Iylos.
Hope you can find what is causing the problem because what started out as a mild annoyance is now a bit more serious!

#9 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

Will look into it first thing tonight. :cheers:

Edit: Actually, I may have an idea why those things happened. Did you install v2.2? If not, then I imagine it would have been the same issue causing the other interjections to misfire. (It had to do with overwritten strings and such, and this sounds something like that.)

#10 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

Will look into it first thing tonight. :cheers:

Edit: Actually, I may have an idea why those things happened. Did you install v2.2? If not, then I imagine it would have been the same issue causing the other interjections to misfire. (It had to do with overwritten strings and such, and this sounds something like that.)

No, still 2.0 - problem was it was installed underneath Edwin and I didn't want to cause problems with that - so if it's fixed then that's fine. But I have just gone back to replay it (well, I admit I Ctrl-Y'd through the entire battle, since I'd already done it the proper way once and needed to go to bed... I really just wanted to see Edwin's romantic ending which, honestly, was worth the wait, heh). I got Balthazar to top himself instead of going to fight Mel and there were no problems with Iylos, except that I still didn't see his epilogue. Everyone else's played, except his! (Feeling a bit cheated now *sulk*) So it seems the problems in this case are with his interjections with Balthazar from Ascension.

Now I realise most people who play mods probably have Ascension installed, but maybe not all. Since Iylos says you may be able to talk him onto your side, are you just making the assumption that Ascension is installed or is there something in the Iylos mod which also lets you recruit him? Just wondering.

#11 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

Ah, okay--that's cool, I'll do some testing myself tonight. I knew I'd forgotten something while testing v2.0! Should have a fix worked out later today. (You can also check out his epilogues in the .tp2 file if you'd like!).

In regards to Iylos' comment about Balthazar, it's not much to do with Ascension--Iylos honestly believes that Balthazar can be brought around. So, if Ascension is installed--great; if not, then it doesn't make much difference to what he thinks. :)

Thank you very much for your help, it's much appreciated! :cheers:

#12 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

No worries. I offered to review the mod for the guys at Sorcerers.net but I'll wait until you've got all the issues sorted before I do that (I'm on holiday for two weeks from Saturday anyway). I will play with Iylos again in the future as I didn't get to see all his dialogues, and he really does kick some ass (plus I want to see the epilogue, obviously!) I must admit to using lame tactics like Edwin casting several Timestops while Iylos goes and kicks the helpless bad guys to death, hee hee. I didn't realise high level monks were that badass as I've not played one since ToB came out. :)

Another plus is I thought the voicing was very good - I know you redid it recently so it was time well spent IMHO.

Anyway, midnight here, and I have the annoying habit of waking up at 5.30am now it's so bloody light in the mornings. I'd best get my head down.

#13 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

Fantastic! Can't wait to see what you thought--good and bad! ;)

I've just made one small modification to Iylos and released a v2.3 (which I won't announce properly, since it's extremely minor) which could theoretically cause an error. I just finished testing it with Ascension and it all seemed to work smoothly, so... :)

#14 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:04 AM

Groovy. I'm impressed at how quickly you sort out problems. Did the epilogue display for you? (And I woke up at 4.30am this morning, damn it! I suppose that does bode well for me getting to the airport at 5am on Saturday though).

#15 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:31 AM

I zoomed through them so quickly I didn't pay attention--I must have thought Balthazar's was Iylos'. I just checked, and you're right, it doesn't occur--I'm extend_bottoming when I should be extend_topping.

Am I the only one who thinks that's some sort of innuendo? XD Ah well. Thank you for reminding me to check! Actually fixed a few typos while I was at it, as well.

Fixed and tested. Just added it to v2.3. :) *uploads!*

#16 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:57 AM

It is innuendo! Or rather, some basic S&M terminology, heh heh.

I will download the new Iylos once I get back from my hols, at any rate. I'm quite fond of the boy (even if he did persist in calling me "Bhaalspawn" after admitting he saw me as a friend, tut).

#17 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:58 AM

Force of habit, maybe? :whistling:

Enjoy your holidays!! :cheers: