Area Making Height Error? (DLTCEP)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

Alright, so as I am Trying to do this on my own (and brain dead on top of it - :) )

I am doing an area in DLTCEP and actually getting the hang of it. Until...

I did a check area and got a pop up error (Fig one)

Can anyone explain this to me and tell me where I went wrong and how to correct it?

Only one thot comes to mind: I hear that there is a limitation on how Big an area in BG2 can be - could it be I went over? (Please see fig 2)

Resolute in my area making desires and actually having fun with it - just need advise.

MiM

Attached Images

• fig_1.JPG
  • fig_2.JPG

They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#2 --Sir-Kill--

--Sir-Kill--

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:41 PM

yes 60 is max tho you might want to stick with 59
also you total image size needs to be divisible by 64.
width seems to read 4999 if 79 it should be 5056
height should be at max 3776

SK

#3 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:11 AM

yes 60 is max tho you might want to stick with 59
also you total image size needs to be divisible by 64.
width seems to read 4999 if 79 it should be 5056
height should be at max 3776

SK

I think I see what you are saying. At the LEAST, it is to big, Height wise!

I will edit and redo! There are some portions I can get ride of - I planned it with just this sort of prob in mind!

I THANK you, sir-kill!

MiM

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.

#4 --Sir-Kill--

--Sir-Kill--

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

yep, n/p, your width seems off a bit too.

you might want to crack out the calculator (that is what I do) and make sure that your image is divisible by 64 both in width and height when creating your area or before you convert it to a .tis. (computers and comp. games like the 'power of 2' - 2, 4, 8, 32, 64, 128, 256, ect.)
when you see the green grid on dltcep (in your second image) it is of a 64x64 pixel grid which is basically what a .tis is/does

#5 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:57 AM

I WillDo, Sir-Kill, and thanks!

I think I will post my ongoing probs Here in this thread rather than take up space making a new one.

I have been Seriously playing with DLTCEP for about four hours and much to my surprise I am getting the hang of it. - Two questions though:

1. Alright, "0" is blocked area where nothing can move. You use it to define where the characters can move and to signify objects. Cool, but what about:

Objects (like barrels or tombs) that the character cannot Walk through but Can approach and open.
And archways. I have several in this area (actually, a little area for testing and eventual use) and while I don't want the characters to walk just over the arch, I want it to look as though they are going Through it.

and

2. Can a signle area have more than one sound... in the example from the tutorial STONE was used, in the case of this area Shallow and Deep water are more apt. Can I start with one set of numbers, make the "hollowed out space" then overlap and make the second sound right Next to the first for when they move to that position?

I am actually rather surprised I am getting this, but slow as it is going now I am understanding most of it.

Thanks again!

MiM

They are wrong.

#6 --Sir-Kill--

--Sir-Kill--

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:00 AM

DLTCEP_by_Yovaneth
is a must have! (also check out Yovaneth's sig. links to his tut there).

it will tell you everything you need to know, it is a very clear and easy to follow tut.

however:
@A.) barrels and tomb(stones?)
same thing 0
@B.) archways
those will be covered by 'wall groups'. That walls properties will have 'shade character when behind wall' (or something like that)
BUT is it is a tomb that you can enter using a door then you would have to look at the door section of the tutorial

@more than one sound?
yes. not sure about area music beyond normal music and combat music.
did you mean footstep sound?
yes you can have as many as available, however, I would not overlap them, you can however butt them up together.

#7 --Sir-Kill--

--Sir-Kill--

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:10 AM

looking back you are following that tut ..my bad
and overlapping is not an issue because you are using DLTCEP and not ietme, where it might be feasible to actually overlap. so disregard that comment.

#8 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:56 AM

Thanx I will continue to check as I go.

Yes I am using that tuto, but, with apologies to Yov, in places it is confusing (And for that I blame myself rather than the directions) Still, I am doing pretty good, considering.

Wallgroups and such for archways? Okay, so I will concentrate on "0" for floors and to define the area Perimeter and work my way from there as I go. :)

I know I am considered the forum joke here modding wise (Somewhat deservedly) but I hope everyone will note that I AM trying and even do manage to git Something right now and then. :D

MiM

They are wrong.

#9 --Sir-Kill--

--Sir-Kill--

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

it is good you are trying that is the only way :)
heh as far as tuts go they are usually written by people that know what they are doing, when Yov. wrote his tut. he did not, which makes it so good. but nothing is perfect.

one thing about things you can 'open' those are containers and the tut covers that too :)

#10 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:20 AM

Well, things are actually moving along quite well, all things considered... :mellow:

A couple of questions though as I go.

In Yov's tutorial he wrote:

---------------------------------
>When you've finished with the three auxiliary maps and have saved all of your work, go away and CLUAConsole into your new area. Go on - it will work now if you've done everything right.

Happy?
<
---------------------------------

Not especially? :huh: ?CLUAConsole Into My New Area?? Uhm, don?t I need to get my New Area IN the game first? And if so ? How? If NOT then How do I CLUAConsole into a couple of generic files in a folder on my desk top or the BGII Override folder? :doh:

While we?re on the subject ? I am getting it, but if there is anyplace I HAVE screwed up it would be the light map. Can someone explain to me what the average is for dungeons? The tutorial instructions are, to me, clear as mud and I don?t even know what I am looking for. I am just trying to get a generic look?something like the sewers on the way to the unseeing eye quest in light and brightness. Actually it came to me that, as I am trying to copy a look of a certain section, is there any way to open (the section in question) up the area light map and copy down the number values? I have the files and maps but not In Game. - Is it possible to enter the Numbers and have DLTCEP do the deed? And/Or is there a sort of "Generic" Dungeon brightness?

Along the same lines - the Height map... I am getting this more or less Except : Stairways. Made the mistake of putting in several in my complete area and I am trying to make it look right. To that end, if 6 is Ground Lvl as it says, and 15 is about as high as you can go... Do I need to do each stair with a higher number going Up? I am trying but the stairs are thin to code and more importantly, their are not Enough of them to take into account every number. Arrgh!

Then we get to the one section where i Am COMPLETELY lost: Wallgroups.

In Yov's tutorial...well, let me past it as a jpeg, Easier to understand.

I am also posting one of My areas. (Kitbasjed/bastardized from other maps with MSPaint) I am trying to fugure the stairs and how to approach the tombs (All ) but need to get to them rather than walk Through them)

Thanks

MiM

Attached Images

• Area_making_Tutorial_screen1.JPG
  • OC0008.JPG

They are wrong.

#11 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:45 AM

To be able to move to the area, you have to copy the relevant areas into your override. BTW - stick to the naming convention - a two letter prefix, followed by four numbers. As in "MM0001.are" for the area, "MM0001HT.bmp", "MM0001LM.bmp", "MM0001SR.bmp" for the three maps, "MM0001.mos" (which I am now unsure whether it is really necessary, but as I am now learning the same, I just go and copy it as well ;-) "MM0001.TIS" and "MM0001.wed".

Should work then ;-)
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#12 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:48 AM

By the way, it is quite impressive that you could do these in MSPaint - but I urge you to try the Gimp -copy pasting in it is much better, and besides you get the wonderful clone tool to it ;-)
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#13 --Sir-Kill--

--Sir-Kill--

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:09 AM

I am trying to fugure the stairs and how to approach the tombs (All ) but need to get to them rather than walk Through them)

the search map will keep you from walking on or through the tomb the wall (group) will block your line of sight

as far as stairs an in an area such as you posted you could use 2 stairs before you bump up the number.

btw the height map just changes the characters x,y coordinates slightly depending the number change to give the illusion of height change.

#14 --Sir-Kill--

--Sir-Kill--

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:21 AM

as far as wall groups and animations. animations are creature animations (covers any monster or humanoid), spell effects (fireball), and area effects (like a torch)

try this move your player behind a building and look close at it has become dithered = every other pixel is now transparent so the character looks semi shaded)

if you place a torch/braizer half way behind a arch or something the wall you create following the arch would cover the animations. however 1/2 of the fire should still be seen since the arches wall polygon only covers 1/2 of the animation.

#15 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:28 AM

To be able to move to the area, you have to copy the relevant areas into your override. BTW - stick to the naming convention - a two letter prefix, followed by four numbers. As in "MM0001.are" for the area, "MM0001HT.bmp", "MM0001LM.bmp", "MM0001SR.bmp" for the three maps, "MM0001.mos" (which I am now unsure whether it is really necessary, but as I am now learning the same, I just go and copy it as well ;-) "MM0001.TIS" and "MM0001.wed".

Should work then ;-)

Thanks Tassader and Sir-Kill!

Just to clairify: I take all of my maps and put them in the BGII override then CLUAConsole my party in to it for testing (no actors or ambients yet) right? As far as naming the files I have That taken care of - Naming all of them OC (For October in this case, the name of my girl) and then the number - thus this file is OC0008. (though I note that for some reason no matter How I imput the information in DLTCEP the Mos comes up OC0008 and the tis is oc0008 no biggy, I guess the machine doesn't worry about caps. :)

Sir-Kill,

So I don't need to "0" out the entire tomb? Gotcha - the tutorial was a little...well, my bad, not that of the tuto. The Two stairs thing works well, I tried it after you mentioned it, thanks. I am still not sure what the wall groups (picture I posted) means though. What am I looking for?

I have used the GIMP now and then, mainly for combining one image on top of the other - but mostly it is MSPaint. GIMP is good though, for larger images with lots of Little details that need seeing through. Fer instance. I had need of a ship, but the ONLY thing really availible in BG2 was Samon's, getting boarded.

No probs. Thanks to GIMP... but getting light right. UGH!

Let me fool with light in my dungeon then I will come back to height and wall groups. I am going to try and go in (to PS:T as it turns out) and get the infor for the area I have copied and try to match light that way. So far no luck but I will keep on.

Thanks.

MiM

Attached Images

• ship1.jpg

They are wrong.

#16 --Sir-Kill--

--Sir-Kill--

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:54 AM

I made 2 posts one was about walls did you see that and are still confused?

@ the 0 and tombs. basically you are trying to create an illusion of some solid object. so where ever you place a 0 that should be a non walkable place. on the front edge of the tomb it is right there so place 0's along that the back edge you have to guess where the back edge touches the ground, this does not have to be perfect but probably more is better than less.

and by tomb we are talking about the crypt/coffin/sarcophagus/concrete thing right?

#17 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:54 AM

MiM, you might also like this source :-)

http://www.blackwyrm...reas/index.html

#18 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

I made 2 posts one was about walls did you see that and are still confused?

@ the 0 and tombs. basically you are trying to create an illusion of some solid object. so where ever you place a 0 that should be a non walkable place. on the front edge of the tomb it is right there so place 0's along that the back edge you have to guess where the back edge touches the ground, this does not have to be perfect but probably more is better than less.

and by tomb we are talking about the crypt/coffin/sarcophagus/concrete thing right?

I am still not clear on the tombs/ vs / wall groups thing. I hear what you are saying and TRY to follow it, but... I add "0" to the base, as it says in the tutorial, but I Still need to GET to it. So, if I understand right, I can add "0" to one side only so they cannot walk through it but can still get to it from the other.

I have annointed a copy of the picture in red to show what I have done - with the red boarder being the "0" no-go area.

What am I doing wrong for I cannot touch the things at all. There will be treasure in most

Trying to get this part. :)

MiM

Attached Images

• OC0008A.JPG

They are wrong.

#19 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

blue is the footprint of the object, aka the 0 non-walkable part.

the exposed red lines that you made should be walls (shaded when behind)

this was made in the gimp so it is not 100% accurate but enough to show.

Attached Images

• df.jpg

Edited by Sir-Kill, 03 June 2008 - 08:25 AM.

Live Free Or Die

#20 --Sir-Kill--

--Sir-Kill--

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:43 AM

one thing at a time once you have good walkable areas and good walls or wall groups (whatever you want to call them) then you can move to containers and traps.