• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:33 AM

For the purposes of a bit of research, I'm wondering what the most common party combinations are--or even better, which NPCs do you always take with you regularly as a pair or a threesome? What about in ToB?

Myself, in SoA I tend to take:
  • Minsc
  • Jaheira
  • Yoshimo/Imoen
  • Viconia
  • Aerie/Keldorn
In ToB, generally the same, except I'll swap Cernd for Aerie/Keldorn, and sometimes Jaheira for Valygar.

What are your most frequent party combinations? :cheers:

#2 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:42 AM

I just take my favorites along, regardless of how well it works. This tends to be;

- Viconia
- Anomen (Turned CN.) / Minsc / To be replaced by Sarevok in ToB
- Haer'Dalis
- Edwin
- Yoshimo - Imoen / Jan.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#3 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:19 AM

I tend to take NPCs who are most connected to the plot, or the PC would have a reason to take, like old BG1 friends.

So usually,
Jaheira (I rarely don't take this one)
Yoshimo/ later replaced with Imoen
Viconia (more for entertainment than anything else)
Edwin
The remaining slot filled by NPCs I take along for quests or just interactions and then drop after a while.

I don't take Minsc because I don't find him remotely funny, just tedious and predictable.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#4 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:27 AM

I always seem to end up with Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo->Imoen, Viconia and Edwin.

#5 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:54 AM

Generally I have Minsc, Aerie, Yoshimo -> Imoen, plus whoever is most connected to the current quest. The fifth might be almost anyone who isn't Jaheira or Edwin.

In ToB the only one I always have is Imoen, I usually have Sarevok, but the rest are really variable depending on what I'm playing and how I want to fill out the party. Anomen is pretty common, otherwise any of the characters are powerful and useful to me, and I don't play favourites among the ones I like.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#6 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:59 AM

I don't think I've ever done a Bioware-only in ages. However, I've always had Imoen (and my habit of rushing to pick her has always bitten me in the backside given how mods want you to require you to wait forever in CH2 for them to play out properly). Given the lack of proper modded clerics and druids (one-day mods and mods by low-reputation {modders,comunities} don't count), I usually also pick one of {Jaheira, Cernd} and one of {Anomen, Viconia, Aerie}.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:03 AM

Always; Aerie and Imoen.
Most of the time; Jaheira and Sarevok.
Sometimes; Minsc+Boo, Yoshimo, Korgan.

Also my BG1 party was: Ajantis, Minsc, Jaheira or Branwen, Imoen and Dynaheir.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:05 AM

In the order in which I usually encounter them I most prefer to travel with:
Imoen/Yoshimo/Imoen
Jaheira
Aerie
Nalia
Viconia

We usually go all the way through ToB as well. With this party I need to be my favourite type of tank, a Beserker with long swords/Shield of Balduran/some mace slots.

I take turns romancing them. I love Aerie the most, then Jaheira, then Imoen (because her romance is more complicated), then Nalia (who is SO much like a rich social science major).

Nalia is usually sent home temporarily while we do the specific quests with Korgan, Cernd, Valygar and Keldorn. These four usually stay in the party only until their quests are done (or Keldorn reunites with his poor wife).

There are stronger parties, but this one can go all the way, so I'm happy with my bevy of babes.

** We need a mod where the PC can be the uncle or grandfather of the female NPCs. I always feel vaguely like a cradle-snatcher when I chat up these chicks. I should be Keldorn.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#9 Amaurea

Amaurea

Thread Killer Extraordinaire

• 409 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:26 AM

In order of meeting them:

Minsc
Yoshi/Immy
Aerie
Anomen

I rotate other NPC's out of the last slot for various quests. In TOB, I'll add Sarevok, or drop Minsc and take Sarevok. It depends on what class I'm playing.

Edited by Amaurea, 30 May 2008 - 06:27 AM.

#10 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

It varies as I like, er, variety.

I will always take Imoen (though this didn't used to be the case) and these days I'll take Yoshimo most of the time.
I always take Sarevok in ToB.
Usually I'll take 5 characters through SoA so I don't have to drop anyone for Sarevok in ToB (they level faster that way too).

I usually play a fighter (I have played all classes, but I prefer to tank where possible) so in most instances I'll take a cleric or druid, a mage (usually Edwin, though not always) and another fighter-type (usually Valygar - I like him, and he seems sad if I turn him down... The reverse is true of Keldorn, who is awesome, but I feel guilty for keeping him from his family. I probably invest too much emotion in my pixels!)
Minsc has travelled with me often but I've grown tired of him rather, though I won't discount him from future runthroughs. Cernd and H'D have only come along for the ride once (and H'D has never been through ToB). Nalia has never come along. Prehaps I need to do one play through with her in party but I hate her wittering on about the poor all the time. Bah!

Being female I'm the opposite of Scipio - I like to travel with hot young studs rather than girls. Imoen's acceptable, though, being the little sister and all.

#11 Paloesha

Paloesha
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Every time I start a new game, I say I'll change. Yet I always end up taking the same kind of group.

Me
Jaheria
Minsc
Yoshimo(turn to Imoen)
Aerie
(Random NPC for whatever quest)

I don't know why, I just feel like Jaheria and Minsc should be there, even if Jaheria gets on my nerves occasionally. I can't seem to drop Aerie. And Yoshimo should be there for Spellhold.

#12 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

Well right now Im using

PC who is a wizard slayer dual wield

Imoen /Yoshimo

Aerie (had to romance her once to check it out)

Jaheria

Anomen

Minsc

I almost always taken Edwin but this time like I said I wanted to romance Aerie hehe

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#13 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:55 AM

Myself - Sorcerer
Anomen
Keldorn
Minsc
Yoshimo / Imoen
Aerie (main Good Character Romantic Interest)

Edited by Zyraen, 30 May 2008 - 08:55 AM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#14 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:10 AM

Me (KILLER FIGHTER DIE DIE)
Imoen/Yoshimo/Imoen
Jaheira
Minsc
Nalia
Mod Character

Between Minsc and me killing on the front lines and using Jaheira and Imoen/Yoshimo for missile backup and Nalia/Imoen for spellcasting, I don't usually have any problems.

For ToB, I typically keep the same party but this is assuming that I don't get bored silly in ToB to just start a new SoA game.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#15 Abigail

Abigail
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:16 AM

Jaheira (usually)
Edwin
Yoshimo/Imoen
Haer'dalis (although I pick him up somewhere in the end of chapter 2, so I an get other NPC for a while)
Sarevok
my deviantart account ---> http://prozakc-blues.deviantart.com

#16 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

Some very interesting results--there are a few NPC-groups who keep popping up! I'm surprised at how popular Yoshimo is (glad too, since I believe the Yoshimo friendship will be in development in a few weeks!).

This thread is mainly to find out who we should be adding banters to (and group banters to) with IEP Banters, but hopefully it'll come in handy for other modders too.

Keep them coming! :cheers:

#17 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

I'm goint to bet that Yoshi's popularity is largely because the YoshImoen combo is highly optimal for the traps needs for 90% of parties - which is why you don't see Jan or Cernd, and Viccy and HD are mentioned only once.

Whatever the reason for that, it's reassuring to know that you can skip the turnip stories in your NPC (or making up a bird name for him) because nobody's going to notice the absence of any <NPC>/{Jan,HD} banters :)

Edited by the bigg, 30 May 2008 - 02:23 PM.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#18 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

Good point. Heh, that'd be another interesting question: "Do you choose NPCs for gaming or story reasons?"

#19 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:35 PM

This is the closest I can come to a "usual" party. I switch characters in and out fairly often.

PC (Generally a fighter type)
Minsc/Valygar (Valygar if I have Keldorn)
Yoshimo/Imoen
Viconia/Anomen (Anomen if I have Valygar generally)
Nalia
Jaheira/Keldorn
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#20 Amaurea

Amaurea

Thread Killer Extraordinaire

• 409 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

Good point. Heh, that'd be another interesting question: "Do you choose NPCs for gaming or story reasons?"

Well, a bit of both. I'll do one or two for story reasons, then chose the others to have a balanced party for gaming reasons.

I seriously wish I could wave a magic wand and become a gifted writer to help with this project. I'd love to be able to come up with additional talks for Anomen's romance.

Edited by Amaurea, 30 May 2008 - 03:07 PM.