Photo

Stuff of the Magi

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:00 AM

I am just finishing my game in Tutu as a Wild Mage. I've been interested in the mod Stuff of the Magi (available at Sorcerer's Place) for a few years now. I tried the mod back then when I didn't know the difference between IAP and Weidu.

I'm better schooled in BG mods now. I'd like to use this mod when I get to BG2 but it's lack of being Weidu means it doesn't install right (I know this from my previous attempt at using it years ago). I'd like to see this mod made Weidu. I'm not really looking to become a modder.

I just want to beat the BG series from Tutu to ToB with the canonical party (plus Viconia). Since this may be the only run I make as a single-class mage (which Stuff of the Magi requires) I'm hoping to get to use Stuff of the Magi. This brings me to my questions (to make a short story long, lol).

First off, my lazy question: is there a modder (or more) who would be interested in reviving this old mod and converting it to Weidu? If nobody is interested in casting Raise Dead on this mod, is it within the scope of a non-modder to convert it to Weidu myself? If it isn't going to be days of banging my head against the code and I have some guidance from a vet modder I may be up to the task of converting Stuff of the Magi myself if nobody is willing to do it for me. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who made this rewrite possible. It's been a pleasure. For those who want to dl the new version, it is available here: Stuff of the Magi download.

Edited by Rastamage, 11 June 2008 - 12:31 PM.

#2 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:17 AM

Welcome to the forum, Rastamage :-)
If noone picks this up, I think I could take a look at it tomorrow. By the way, you should generally let people know when you are posting the same rerquest at other forums, so that they donīt end up doing work someone else is doing as well ;-)
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#3 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the welcome! I'd be much obliged if you would take a peek at the mod for me. I did indeed post this request first over at the Gibberlings community site. I was referred here by someone over there so this is, indeed, a cross posting.

EDIT: Oops! I forgot I intially posted this over at Sorcerer's Place too.

Edited by Rastamage, 02 June 2008 - 08:43 AM.

#4 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:29 AM

No time to test it yet, but here you go:

Download Stuff of Magi Weidu v1

edit:
Uploaded the download to SHS downloads. Thanks, K'aeloree!

Edited by kevmus, 03 June 2008 - 10:00 AM.

#5 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:35 AM

Don't forget to empty your /backup directory, kevmus! :) Congrats. Feel free to upload it to the Mod Resurrections category in the download manager--that goes for everyone! :)

#6 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:05 AM

Well, I was beaten to it by half an hour, but that is just because I searched for the original author and tested :P
anyway, here I go (just to prove I kept my word...)

EDIT: I removed my version, as the one by Kevmus is more advanced and will be supported :-)

Edited by Tassadar88, 03 June 2008 - 10:05 AM.

The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#7 --Rastamage--

--Rastamage--

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

Yay! Thanks, both of you! Between this mod and JOG's caster mods I should have a very rich game indeed. Thanks again.

#8 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

Yay! Thanks, both of you! Between this mod and JOG's caster mods I should have a very rich game indeed. Thanks again.

Youīre welcome :-) Btw - what are JOG's caster mods?

#9 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

Sorry for taking it without saying something, Tassadar. I assumed you would be checking the thread again before starting work on it.

The only difference between ours is that mine adds the items to the creature's slot (Vongoethe wears the robe, Ardulace uses the belt, etc). Both of our versions might actually cause the mage in twisted rune to have two staffs (from looking in your TP2, I assume you haven't fixed this?)... Oops! (I will get to work fixing this)

Maybe we could combine our versions and offer a choice, add to equipped item slot or inventory?

Edit: two staffs bug fixed on my version : http://www.shsforums...mp;showfile=643
(also emptied backup dir - oops!)

Edit2: It looks like jog's caster mods are these:
http://home.tiscali....ge/bg/index.htm

Edit3: Uploaded the download to SHS downloads. Thanks, K'aeloree!

Edited by kevmus, 03 June 2008 - 09:59 AM.

#10 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:59 AM

No, it is actually cool that it is so much alive in here - much better than if it had been waiting here for a month! As for the bug, I wrote about it in the readme ;-) - this and the fact that Demogorgon will actually not drop his item - he has a minhp ring and actually teleports away, so I thought about how to bypass it. Have you an elegant idea? Either creating the item by the area script when TIO teleports away or maybe better, moving it on one of the creatures? Aurumach Rilmani or someone like that?

BTW - your version is superior codingwise, so Iīll just put mine down and assume that if Theo (who isnīt around anyway) didnīt mind one of us reviving the mod, he wonīt mind the other :-)

#11 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

Yup, Kevmus hit the nail on the head. JOG made a Wild Mage mod, a faeire dragon familiar mod (thankfully I'm CG), and a mod that lets you teleport to and from the planar sphere.

I'm still winding up my BG1 game so I guess I'll redownload when the two of you coordinate (or decide not to) on the issue of how the gear is given to the mobs. If you want my opinion, let the caster NPCs use the items. They're fairly uber iirc so making the PC earn them seems fair.

Also, iirc, I think some of them could be insanely out of balance. If either or both of you wants to tone down the Stuff of the Magi to be less "cheaty" I know I personally wouldn't mind. I just like the idea of getting single-class only mage items that boost casting ability. This BG2 run is going to be schweet!

#12 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:04 AM

Ah, I hadn't thought about the Demogorgon thing.
Hmm...

His script sets
SPRITE_IS_DEADDEMOGOR2 to 1 when he dies. Maybe a simple check in the area script to give the item out then would work?

Rastamage, I also agree the things are overpowered. A mage with all of them on has the following:
Armor Class: -3
Magic Resistance: +75%
All Other Resistances: +25%
Saving Throw: +6 bonus, +7 to Save vs. Spells +7 to Save vs. Petrification/Polymorph
Regeneration: 3 hp/round
Intelligence: +2 bonus
Decrease all spellcasting speed by six
Immune to Flesh to Stone
Immune to normal weapons
Aura cleansed after each spell
Movement rate increased by 20%
Memorize two extra spells of each level, 5 extra level 8 and 9 spells
Immunity to backstab
Equipped Abilities: Vocalize, Infravision
Cast Feeblemind 1/day
Mind Shield (Immune to Feeblemind, Dire Charm, etc.)
Protection from all missiles
Equipped Abilities: Invisibility, Immunity to Charm, Protection From Evil

Fireball-Lightning
Damage: combined lightning and fireball damage
Range: 150 feet
Use: Three times a day

Abilities: Spell Trap
Duration: 8 hours or until 30 spell levels have been trapped
Use: Once a day

Combat Ability (each hit): Dispel Magic

That might be a bit much, lol.

Edited by kevmus, 03 June 2008 - 10:09 AM.

#13 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

@Demogorgon... - my thoughts, but... wouldnīt it feel strange if he teleported away and the item just appeared? That was why I thought of moving it to one of the key holders from the level above.

#14 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

Also, iirc, I think some of them could be insanely out of balance. If either or both of you wants to tone down the Stuff of the Magi to be less "cheaty" I know I personally wouldn't mind. I just like the idea of getting single-class only mage items that boost casting ability. This BG2 run is going to be schweet!

Well, yes, they are quite uber, but then again, so is the original staff of the magi, robe of Vecna, and amulet of power... and as much as converting the mod is ok by me, I am a little less sure about actually changing the content. (maybe an optional component?)

#15 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

Rastamage, I also agree the things are overpowered. A mage with all of them on has the following:

And I thought there was even an improved alacrity, wasnīt there? :P

#16 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

Well, yes, they are quite uber, but then again, so is the original staff of the magi, robe of Vecna, and amulet of power... and as much as converting the mod is ok by me, I am a little less sure about actually changing the content. (maybe an optional component?)

Yeah, if we do change the content it should be optional.

I don't really know about giving it to a guardian, because then players could avoid having to fight demogorgon (which, if they are using Improved Demogorgon, would make it best to leave him until as late as possible)

Maybe have him summon a mage in the beginning of the fight? That would increase difficulty and let you use the item against Demo, if you want..

A copy of Tolgerias beefed up a bit might work? What do you think?

#17 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

And I thought there was even an improved alacrity, wasnīt there? :P

That's the Aura cleansed after each spell part. :P

#18 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

Yikes! The only benefits I remembered were the the alacrity and the aura cleansing. I'd say an optional, less game breaking component would be a great idea. I never saw all the other items years ago because my Weidu and other mods would overright the Stuff of the Magi.

I thought I was only asking for an update to Weidu, though. I understand if for reasons of time or not wanting to step on the original author's toes if updating to Weidu is all that happens. I'll probably pick and choose from the Stuff to make my character improved without all those buffs. I can make the unused stuff into war trophies in the planar sphere, lol.

EDIT: Oops. I didn't realize the aura cleansing WAS the alacrity. I may have found less of the items than I remember a few years ago, lol.

Edited by Rastamage, 03 June 2008 - 10:19 AM.

#19 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:21 AM

Yikes! The only benefits I remembered were the the alacrity and the aura cleansing. I'd say an optional, less game breaking component would be a great idea. I never saw all the other items years ago because my Weidu and other mods would overright the Stuff of the Magi.

I thought I was only asking for an update to Weidu, though. I understand if for reasons of time or not wanting to step on the original author's toes if updating to Weidu is all that happens. I'll probably pick and choose from the Stuff to make my character improved without all those buffs. I can make the unused stuff into war trophies in the planar sphere, lol.

EDIT: Oops. I didn't realize the aura cleansing WAS the alacrity. I may have found less of the items than I remember a few years ago, lol.

Well, if we make it optional I doubt the author (who has disappeared) would mind very much.

And time? I have time.

Any ideas as to what the Junk of the Magi should be? (:P)

#20 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

This sounds like a fun brainstorm. My only experience with the original was, like I said, years ago and incomplete. Would you mind breaking it down by item with what you get to see if any of it is good to go and what is blatantly broken?