12 replies to this topic

#1 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:09 AM

discuss. Haven't seen it yet :)

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#2 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:37 AM

I think I could marry Yahtzee. Brilliant. Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen it yet either!

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#3 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:54 AM

Come on, Oblivion is not THAT bad <_<
I was so immersed I was trying to quicksave while RL driving through a difficult traffic situation-that is as immersed as I get :P
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#4 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, I was super-immersed as well, and I loved Oblivion. But let's face it, Yahtzee has to hate every game he plays.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#5 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

Not quite. Remember that he liked HL2, TF2, Bioshock, Painkiller, CoD4, and loved Portal, among other games. He just doesn't like RPG's.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#6 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

Saying that the NPC AI in Oblivion is pathetic or that the voice acting is too generic (beggars and nobles of the same race and sex share all 'generic' lines? WTF?) doesn't seem a stretch to me.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#7 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:01 PM

OMG I have to see this when I get home! :lol:

#8 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

This was completely hilarious!!! :lol: And oh wow, he speaks sooooo fast!! I had to stop myself from laughing every now and then so that I could still hear what he was saying next! :D
Although he does raise a few valid points (the beggars switching back n forth between voices... gosh, I hate that too), I still found his review a bit harsh. But then again, he says so himself, "you know me, I'm a twitchy, instant gratification kind of gamer who isn't happy unless there's a gun the size of a motorbike in his hands", and Oblivion isn't really like that, I guess... :rolleyes:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#9 Anaximander

Anaximander
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

And oh wow, he speaks sooooo fast!!

Which is why his article is called Zero Punctuation.

If you liked that one, you can find all his most recent reviews at The Escapist - Zero Punctuation He puts a new one up every Wednesday.
You have defeated The Purpose!!!
Experience gained: 50000
Gold gained: 1000
You gain a level!!!

#10 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

And oh wow, he speaks sooooo fast!!

Which is why his article is called Zero Punctuation.
If you liked that one, you can find all his most recent reviews at The Escapist - Zero Punctuation He puts a new one up every Wednesday.

Yeah, I had figured as much... ^_^ Thanks for the link, but after seeing the first video, I quickly moved on to the others, hungry for more! :lol:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#11 Anaximander

Anaximander
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

Ah, but now you have a link to the main page which you can add to your favorites and dutifully visit every Wednesday to see hit latest review. Or not....

At any rate, I felt his Oblivion review was dead on. I've tried many times to play Oblivion, and the longest I lasted was 2 hours. I just can't get into it, for all the reasons Yahtzee pointed out.
You have defeated The Purpose!!!
Experience gained: 50000
Gold gained: 1000
You gain a level!!!

#12 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

Yeah he's got good points. I almost died from laughing while I was watching it yesterday. Probably best thing that happened yesterday.

#13 Ibis

Ibis

moonlit sleepless florida nights

• 114 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

Yes I totally agree with Yahtzee on Oblivion .. non-immersive to the max. Although Yahtzee is harsh (& rapidfire lol) in many of his game reviews .. he is always funny about it, good or bad. :devil:
Remember the Glory Days of Morrowind Mods? Visit Gamersroam Archival Download Library of 1032 old Morrowind Mods and take your pick. Just register and enjoy the good ole days!