Translating PS:T Fixpack, UB & QTweaks

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#41 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

Anyways, there you all are. Now please remember, as I said, I'm not going to be able to release a new version that uses all this until WeiDU 208 gets released, and 207 hasn't been out all that long, so it may be a little while. Plenty of time for folks to produce translations in lots of different languages so I don't have to produce version after version just to add new languages that would've preferably gotten into the first multi-language version (hint hint) :)

Qwinn

#42 Ghildrean

Ghildrean
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:06 PM

151 lines in a tra is usually a little file for those who translate, sometimes a gift. When you have translated files near 2000 lines of text, a file containing only 151 is a miracle. Much better when half of the file is repetitive (less work).

Hey, I said a few times, it was only a few components that had real issues with dialogue smile.gif There are other components here and there that need a line or two, but overall I did try to keep new dialogue to a minimum.

There will be more text?

#43 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:09 PM

No, the 3 sets of files, one set for each mod, should be all of it. At least until new content comes out, but I've no plans for any in the near future.

Qwinn

#44 -Avantenor-

-Avantenor-

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:30 PM

I'll take a look at german.tra and dcheats.tra. Can I also translate the english install phrases? E. g.
@-1002= "What should be done with all components that are NOT YET installed?\n[I]nstall them, [S]kip them, [A]sk about each one? "

#45 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:14 AM

Yes, please do. Those are the phrases that come up during installation.

Qwinn

#46 Ghildrean

Ghildrean
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:00 AM

STRREFs 11999 and 13287 just have the usability changed from "Xaositects" to "Chaotic Creatures", so if you have a translation for those already, just use them and make that change. Note that each strref needs 2 such changes - the usability restriction is repeated in the text of the description.

The Rat Charm is still only used by Xaositects or for those characters who has chaotic alignment?

EDIT: Never mind. I read the readme.

Edited by Ghildrean, 11 June 2008 - 03:25 AM.

#47 -HomiSite-

-HomiSite-

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:05 AM

I looked at the Fixpack's english.tra and german.tra (with Notepad2) and I want to mention some things. A few of it may be important for the whole (german) translation:

1. General question: "sq. feet" is translated as "m2" which does not look nice. Can the PS:T ingame font display "m²"?

2. Two times (line 100+302; "Cure Critical Wounds") it's "Restores 27 hit points to the target creature". In german it is "Stellt 3-24 + 3 Trefferpunkte für das Zielwesen wieder her"...? How it's handled in the game?

3. In "Area of Effect", sometimes it is "1 creature" ("1 Wesen"), sometimes "One Creature" ("Ein Zielobjekt")...

4. Two times (line 72+283) it is "[60] foot" instead of "feet", I guess?

5. in english.tra at line 227 there is a wrong word wrap:
Area of Effect: One 
Creature
- - - - - - - - -

German-only related stuff:
- Line 39: feurig rote <=> 126: giftig-grünen ("-")
- 1 feet is converted (and rounded) 3:1 into meters, except at "180 feet" which becomes "55 m" (= non-rounded value; rounded value would be 60 m).
- At line 203+262 "hit points" is translated as "Trefferpunkte"; why then is the abbreviation "HP" translated as "TW"?

#48 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

1. General question: "sq. feet" is translated as "m2" which does not look nice. Can the PS:T ingame font display "m²"?

Not that I can find, unfortunately. If you want to check for yourself, the main font is FONTDLG.BAM, you can look at it for yourself with Near Infinity.

2. Two times (line 100+302; "Cure Critical Wounds") it's "Restores 27 hit points to the target creature". In german it is "Stellt 3-24 + 3 Trefferpunkte für das Zielwesen wieder her"...? How it's handled in the game?

Looks to me like the english version is correct - it's just 27, period.

3. In "Area of Effect", sometimes it is "1 creature" ("1 Wesen"), sometimes "One Creature" ("Ein Zielobjekt")...

Indeed, and in the original Globe of Invulnerability scroll listing, it said "Geschwindigkeit: 3" instead of "Initiative: 3". I changed it to be consistent with "Initiative" because that was used far more often. Feel free to make it consistent if you want, but be aware you've only got an opportunity to clean up a handful of the spells here. Attempts to make anything consistent would probably be better addressed to the entire german dialog.tlk as a whole, if you've got the energy for such a task.

4. Two times (line 72+283) it is "[60] foot" instead of "feet", I guess?

I wouldn't worry about this one that much... I think what makes it questionable is that it's followed by "radius". I'm honestly not sure if "60 foot radius" vs. "60 feet radius" is correct, or if either one is acceptable (which is what I lean toward), but I don't think either one is particularly jarring to read. Could just be me though. If anyone knows for sure which is correct, or if both are acceptable, please chime in. If it's clearly one or the other in german, go with whatever's correct.

5. in english.tra at line 227 there is a wrong word wrap:
CODE
Area of Effect: One
Creature

Nice catch, thanks kindly for reporting it. Corrected in my local version.

As for the german only stuff, I'm afraid I'll have to defer to you as the translator.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 11 June 2008 - 10:55 AM.

#49 -Avantenor-

-Avantenor-

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

@HomiSite:
I'm german, too. We should see, that we don't do the same files twice. Luckily I didn't touch the german.tra, I mainly worked on dcheats.tra today. I would suggest to keep an eye on this thread so we can coordinate our effords and style of translation. We can also use email for communication if your prefer that way.

@Qwinn
There was one passage within the original english dcheats that seemed to be wrong to me.

@49 = ~What would you like to do to your Intelligence? (Raise it below 3 or above 25 at your own risk!)~
@50 = ~What would you like to do to your Wisdom? (Raise it below 3 or above 25 at your own risk!)~
@51 = ~What would you like to do to your Dexterity? (Raise it below 3 or above 25 at your own risk!)~
@52 = ~What would you like to do to your Constitution? (Raise it below 3 or above 25 at your own risk!)~
@53 = ~What would you like to do to your Charisma? (Change it to below -10 or above 10 at your own risk!)~
@54 = ~What would you like to do to your Armor Class? (Change it to below -10 or above 10 at your own risk!)~

Why is charisma the only main attribute that can be altered from - 10 to +10? A simple typo?

#50 -Avantenor-

-Avantenor-

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

@HomiSite: I would suggest qm (Quadratmeter) instead of m². I think that is still common in use (newspapers, if you're looking for a mansion)

#51 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

Good catch Avantenor, thanks, I must've copied the line from the Armor Class bit and that got left behind. Will fix.

Qwinn

#52 HomiSite

HomiSite
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:39 AM

1. m2/m²/qm
This is a global thing - if it's going to be changed, than in whole ZenJu's dialog.tlk. I used "Near Infinity" to look at FONTDLG.BAM and it seems there are quite all common symbols/letters, even "²" and "³" (but in N.I. the fonts are veeery small and hard to read). If "m²" is not possible, "qm" is sure better than "m2" (I haven't PS:T installed to see how it really looks ingame).

2. "Cure Critical Wounds"
Okay (although the AD&D system likes such variable things, compare HPs at level-up). It has to be changed than within german.tra and probably even in german dialog.tlk (if this heavy task is taken by someone).

3. "Speed" is "Initiative". And I just want to remind on "1 creature" and "One Creature" for the IMO same thing (so it should be globally normalized, I guess "1 creature" is better?).

@Avantenor:
I only compare the Fixpack's TRAs without looking into the main game files, but you are right that there should be more organization :). I haven't the time to e.g. revise ZenJu's dialog.tlk, but I can proof-read translations.

#53 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:44 AM

3. "Speed" is "Initiative". And I just want to remind on "1 creature" and "One Creature" for the IMO same thing (so it should be globally normalized, I guess "1 creature" is better?)

I didn't think this inconsistency mattered enough to justify making any changes in the english dialog.tlk, to be honest. It's not like either is in any way actually -incorrect-, which is generally my standard for actually changing something. I'm more likely to change an inconsistency on the left side of the colon - "Speed" vs. "Initiative", or "Area of Effect" versus "Area Affected"... but what comes after the colon, I don't see much point in making standardized as long as it's correct. That's just my opinion and how I handled the english version though.

And if the raised 2 and 3 are in that fontdlg.bam, then wow, yeah, they're really tiny because I couldn't make them out. What numbers are they in the sequence (out of 255)?

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 12 June 2008 - 10:08 AM.

#54 HomiSite

HomiSite
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

With Speed/Initiave I just wanted to say that the german "Initiative" is indeed the correct translation for "Speed" ;) (I didn't even know if there is the term "Initiative" in the english PS:T).

And if it is easy to normalize expressions with automatic replacing, why not?

Using the fontdlg.bam from Platter's "Convert Torment to English" patch, I would say the "²" is 178/255, because 179 looks like "³" - but even when you use some kind of desktop zoom, it it not really readable (so maybe not usable because to small ingame?)!

PS: I didn't understand yet while normal/good text editors (e.g. Notepad2) are said to mess up carriage returns while MS Word doesn't.

Edited by HomiSite, 12 June 2008 - 10:50 AM.

#55 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

And if it is easy to normalize expressions with automatic replacing, why not?

Believe it or not, I never did any automatic replacing with my 3000+ fixes to the english dialog.tlk. Even with the punctuation errors. Don't get me wrong, I -did- use find and replace, but I never hit "replace all", I hit "find next" and sometimes replaced, sometimes didn't.

There's reasons for it. For example, let's say you replace "1 creature" with "One Creature"... and let's also say that there was a line of dialogue somewhere that said "I just came out of the sewers, there's 11 creatures right behind me!" After your automatic replace, you wind up with "I just came out of the seweres, there's 1One Creatures right behind me!". Or let's say you're changing "One Creature" to "1 creature"... and someone refers to a monster as a "bone creature" somewhere in the text. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying, if you're going to do it, be careful.

I didn't understand yet while normal/good text editors (e.g. Notepad2) are said to mess up carriage returns while MS Word doesn't.

My Notepad doesn't screw it up right away... it'll look alright the first time you load it, but if you save it and then reload it, you'll see what I mean. (note - if you're using some european version of notepad (you said Notepad2?), it might handle things differently, I believe there really are different conventions between american and european uses of line feeds/carriage returns.)

ConTEXT will double all the carriage returns the first time you load it.

Note that you may not be experiencing the problem with the files I uploaded... having loaded and saved them with word, that might've stripped all the problematic carriage return/line feeds that might've existed in the original... although I don't think so, because if it did do that, then I'd get a lot more differences when I compared my big english .tra to the original. I actually did have that happen to me when I used the other text editors to try and fix the files - it was pretty much a nightmare, every single dialog.tlk entry that had a carriage return within it showed up in my dialogfixes.tph whether there was a real difference or not.

I presume, by the way, that you're using weidu with the --traify-tlk option to turn a dialog.tlk into a traified version that you can edit - if you've decided to edit your entire german version of dialog.tlk, that is.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 12 June 2008 - 11:28 AM.

#56 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hmm... I tried pulling up my own english.tra in ConTEXT, and it didn't cause the problem. *shrug* My work with it apparently removed the problem somehow then. But believe me, if you're working with a file that was directly traified from the original dialog.tlk, you'll have issues, they wound up costing me about 20 hours of extra work in developing these mods. I had a thread about it over at the G3 forums, when they're no longer down I'll link to it.

Qwinn

#57 Ghildrean

Ghildrean
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

Hi!

At last, I translated to spanish those mods.

Spanish translations for the three mods

Is a 7z file which contain three more 7z files, one for each mod.

#58 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:21 AM

PST has an official translation into French. If you're interested in getting the dialog.tlk in French, you can find it here.

I'm very interested in your mods as I just started playing Planescape: Torment (though very slowly). I'll have a look at the translation files for French.

#59 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

Great work Ghildrean! I know enough spanish to be able to read 'em myself, and they look great.

The next version of all 3 mods will definitely have a spanish translation now, and you will be credited both in the readme and the install procedure for your hard work :) Thanks again!

And welcome Isaya :) I hope you enjoy the mods, and sure, the more translations people can come up with before the next releases the better!

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 13 June 2008 - 08:28 AM.

#60 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:43 AM

Ooooh, one more thing if you would, Ghildrean. Do me a favor and look up stringref 49647 in the spanish translation. The speaker should be identifying himself as "Ratbone" or some spanish variant thereof. I'm using a means other than .tra's to change his name from "Ratbone" to "Carver" in the english translation (basically, just doing a find-replace directly)... can you tell me what his name is in the Clan Dlan files, and what would be a good spanish variant on "Carver" to change it to?

For example, as Buzzn froqq mentioned on the last page:

Oh, and Ratbones german name is "Rattenknochen". Carver would be "Schnitzer" then.

I'll need to know this for every translation.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 13 June 2008 - 08:44 AM.