The most "excessive" mods?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

Which would you call the most excessive mods, be it for difficulty, length, attributes and edits, tweaks, etc.? Here are some I've played that I found to be rather over the top:

Mortis: Cool, you get to play with undead! It kind of brings grea bonuses to your characters despite totally ignoring some of the most important defining aspects of the undead in general, such as that little problem they encounter when exposed to sunlight. Either way, my point comes through the bonuses you recieve. A lich, for example, besides recieving extra charisma, wisdom and intelligence (a +3 bonus, if I'm correct) and an extended spellbook (as in, three or four new slots to fill for every level), it also reduces spellcasting time (by a -2, I guess) and eliminates pauses between spells casted. And, yes, this effect is both permanent and cumulative, which also means that you can CLUAConsole it as many times as you wish, eventually eliminating all spell-casting time, having 20+ slots availiable for level 9 spells, etc. etc. Oh, and it grants an armor bonus (yeehaw!). Consider what bonuses you may then get for being a vampire or a skeleton warrior.

Improved Anvil: Basically kills any option of starting a new game with an entirely new character as long as you don't reccur to cheating. Beyond the actual resistances to magic (which in cases such as the lich or the greater elemental golem can't be nulled even by Pierce Shield or Lower Resistance) and elements and whatnot, the actual physical damage can be done only with +3 or more weapons (which you rarely find in Chapter 2), and limits itself to 3 or 4 (much like when encountering Iron and Adamintite Golems). And what do you get in exchange? Not much. Maybe 20000 for a creature that is harder to kill than Fikraag. And the softening of weapons like the Carsomyr or Celestial Fury isn't of much help, either. Of course, after the first handful of tries you get an idea of how this mod is meant to be played and eventually you can live with it. Besides, some upgrades are really (overpowerdly) cool.

Valen: Bloody killing machine during nighttime or at dungeons, nothing can stop her. Especially in the higher levels, where there's a guaranteed 4 level drain every time she strikes her victim. Yet at daylight she's hardly any help, being (among other weakening factors, like such a low strength that it's almost impossible not to have her slowed, either) blind and all. So this is quite excessive in the way that you could practically get through the game with her alone if done all by night, but might be the worst character to ever (dis)grace the game during daytime. Either excessively strong or excessively weak.

And I guess that you could call The Darkest Day as being so excessively large, with so many side quests and such, that it would almost seem that the akers were wanting to finish the game as soon as possible and didn't care the slightest bit on making the major quest the slightest bit interesting. This is without mentioning the excessive number of spells and kits, which I actually have no problem other than if you have the custom of learning every spell for the sake of earning experience and exanding your spellbook (if you're playing with a Wizard, that is), then you're bound to start losing spells due to there being too many on the page to have them all at display.

It was actually quite entertaining, though, don't get me wrong. All of these were, in fact, and I often love playing with overpowered characters, so kudos to Mortis. Anyways, which would be other cases of "over the top" mods?

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

Moved to IE Modding discussion. :cheers: Interesting idea for a discussion--I look forward to reading some responses!

#3 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:58 AM

I know at one time the Planar Sphere mod was way way way over the top, which was a shame because it had a lot of potential... but the endboss of the mod was A) insanely difficult, easily the hardest mob in the game even counting TOB, and B) dropped godlike loot. I know some good folks here at SHS have resurrected the mod:

http://www.shsforums...pic=24405&st=40

But I have no idea if an attempt was made to balance it, or just fix the bugs. Can someone tell me if it was balanced, before I go through reading the several pages of that thread about it?

Qwinn

#4 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:42 AM

I know at one time the Planar Sphere mod was way way way over the top, which was a shame because it had a lot of potential... but the endboss of the mod was A) insanely difficult, easily the hardest mob in the game even counting TOB, and B) dropped godlike loot. I know some good folks here at SHS have resurrected the mod:

http://www.shsforums...pic=24405&st=40

But I have no idea if an attempt was made to balance it, or just fix the bugs. Can someone tell me if it was balanced, before I go through reading the several pages of that thread about it?

Qwinn

Yes. It was rebalanced quite a bit. Still, the final is quite tough and still, if you kill him on insane (well, none but ctrl+y will do that) he drops overpowered loot. But it is now a standard part of my install each time I play a mage.
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#5 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

setup-cheese.exe

No, I'm not sharing.

you can CLUAConsole it as many times as you wish

Uh, you can also CLUA in dual KILLSW01s for your entire party, but that doesn't mean vanilla BG2 is more unbalanced than Improved Anvil. <_<

Of course, that doesn't make the lich form any less broken by itself, and I certainly agree that it does sound unbalanced. Just removing the cooldown time between spells is broken as hell. It's a limited-use HLA for a reason.

#6 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:44 AM

Well, I don't usually do review type stuff, even in this format (In my opinion, Cal Jones did a great job on the Angelo review and her past industry work creates a positive bias towards her [what can I say - I am a sucker for games magazines], but in general I have a tough time with reviews of any kind since the end result is almost always knocking someones hard and volunteer work. Luckily, in my opinion, Angelo had a stellar writer with a solid coder, and she happened to agree.) Something really appeals to me about this conversation, though, because it isn't necessarily a negative. Here are two "excessive" positive mods, one "excessive" middle ground one, and one "excessive" mod that I would read forums incredibly carefully before installing.

GAVIN: (Tutu and BGT) excessively fleshed out with responses, pathways, tracking, and serious conversations. The true "roleplayer's" NPC, with good solid romance, and even some romance options that take things to extremes (fingers, anyone?). Excessively good for roleplayers, in that I find I want more NPCs that are as detailed and directed. Almost as tightly wound to both plot and PC as BG1NPC's Ajantis, who is the king of "tailor the reactions and responses to PC actions, replies, area the party is in, and stages within the game". Even bodice-ripper content for those of us who like a little adult content. Excessively good NPC mod.

KETO: (BG2) The ultimate "relaxed friendship" mod. Large numbers of interactions and banters, extremely well written and believeably FR lore appropriate. Non-intrusive, but her biggest moment in the quest she allows the PC to guide her in a believeable way. I wish there was a romance track, but that would spoil her - the friendship and character come across so strongly for me that she is like the woman friend in college whom you remember fondly, and kick yourself for not seeing her as more than a friend. "Excesssively good" in that she is what I wish most of the Bioware NPCs were - true suspension of disbelief, a character that leaps off the screen and into your brain, and gives you real dialog paths for interaction. Excessively good NPC mod.

On the more "Middle Ground",
SARILETH: (BG2). An incredibly wide ranging and detail-oriented mod, with what must be thousands of hours of work behind her. Excessive in her close dictation of storyline options and coding/responses to situations. The poster child for "This is the Story - follow it and enjoy. Do Not Deviate From The Path ™". Love her or hate her, there really is no middle ground. Script calls which check constantly for objects designated as "evil", with responses ranging from attacking the party for carrying it/using it/not destroying it all the way through to her just dropping it on the ground. Detailed and intricate storyline, new areas, alternate pathway to Spellhold - but only if you toe the line and follow the interactive novel that the modders/authors have chosen for you. An NPC who is too good (literally) to be "just another one of the adventurers", if you play an all paladin (small) party, she can be very interesting to play as that "interactive novel" approach - but for folks who like a more open game she can be very confining and dictatorial. Also notable for constant reoccuring forum discussions of age-appropriateness in FR an modern times, as an extra-planar 15 year old marrying a 20-21 year old rubs some folks the wrong way, so in terms of controversy, one of them that comes right to the head of the class (no high school jokes, please - and no humming old Sting/Police songs ).

and finally a long standing work that by its very subject matter and readme defines "excessive", not for folks without very open minds and a high tolerance for some very itchy and non-mainstream content, not to be even looked at by folks without a high tolerance for the more... erm... deviant? exploratory? culturally challenging? taboo-stetching? -

IMOEN ROMANCE: (BG2) Lord M's Imoen is built with the idea of freedom of choice and acceptance of consequence in mind. Excessive in several ways - first, the goal of providing player options that give a full range of responses. Most modders avoid "do this and your game ends without warning in a PC death and a restart from your last savegame". Not Lord M. You get to choose options including incest, rape, and menage a trois as well as more traditional mainstream options. And some of these lead to instant PC kills, terminating your game. Second, the content matter itself, which screams "debate this on forums forever" - the eternal question of Gods, Godesses, offspring, and familial relations, with adult content which are seen by the *characters* (who cares about the player here, it is *Imoen* who wrestles with the concept of incest and lineage) dealing with incest. Textually depicted violence of a rather extreme nature, with fanfic-level brutality, textually explicit enough to set up rather disturbing images in folks' minds. Explicit adult scenes which were the "ok, go past JCompton's Flirtpacks but not as far as Lord M's Imoen" watermarks for anything I worked on for Romantic encounters. Third, excessive in that the debate about this mod actually beats Saerileth for forum discussions about what is a "good mod", what is "appropriate material", and the straighforward "I love this mod" versus "I hate this mod" versus "Lord M should be locked away in an institution". Kind of the poster child for "freedom of intellectual exploration and modding adult themes into games originally designed for mainstream audiences".

Anyways, interesting topic indeed, as it is going to be very, very personal choices about playstyle that dictate what folks think is "excessive".

Edit: private discussion pointed out I was going a bit beyond my knowledge base and misapplying some terminology - edited the "reviews" phrase to more accurately reflect my meaning :)

Edited by cmorgan, 07 June 2008 - 01:09 PM.

#7 -Al-

-Al-

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

you can CLUAConsole it as many times as you wish

Uh, you can also CLUA in dual KILLSW01s for your entire party, but that doesn't mean vanilla BG2 is more unbalanced than Improved Anvil. <_<

No need for that. If I remember right, you can buy the potion as many times as you want to (as long as you have the money, of course, which is not all that much, less than 50000 gp each). But I guess that whole killsw01 thing is true... <_<

#8 -Al-

-Al-

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:42 AM

Cmorgan, great post, and good point on the Imoen romance mod. I knew it was bound to generate a lot of controversy for the incest factor, but I never would have guessed it went quite as deep as you described it to be (I never played it, but I'll check it out for the fun of it). I have to check on Gavin and Keto, as well. Funny enough, regarding Saerileth, I've read this other discussion where Saerileth was practically unanimously called the worst mod ever built. I personally didn't find it all that bad, it was quite entertaining, but the main storyline could have been extended a little more, not to mention that the whole "ye olde speech" was sort of annoying, and rather unsupported, as opposed to a mod alla Neh'Taniel, in which the character has been away from any form of society for 500 years.

Thanks for the compliments regarding the thread topic. :cheers:

#9 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:41 AM

I'd also like to give a nod to Kiara/Zaiya (I *think* I remember the names right) in that they railroad you into a plot ala Saerileth, but also that it goes beyond even the Imoen Romance in terms of explicit content-it describes exactly what happens during the sex scenes, and in detail.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#10 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

If I remember right, you can buy the potion as many times as you want to

Ouch! Then I most definitely agree: that's <I>terribly</I> unbalanced.

Edited by vilkacis, 07 June 2008 - 11:11 AM.

#11 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

I suspect this topic will be resurrected specifically to deal with Arkalian, when (*hears the silent mental changes to "if", glares*) I finish it, in several different categories.

I haven't actually taken time out to play through Saerileth in-game, but I've browsed the dialogue extensively and it's a pretty good, if undernuanced, depiction of a character I desperately want to mercy-kill.

The Imoen romance suffered a bit due to Lord M's insistence on developing a set of reply themes and writing one reply for each of those themes for many if not most dialogue states where replies are possible - invariably including brutal options even at points where anyone who was even remotely roleplaying wouldn't even consider it, and its divergence from the dialogue style and conventions of the Baldur's Gate games. Additionally, I've heard some complaints about you being railroaded into the relationship - being told in flashbacks that you have feelings for Imoen rather than discovering them in the course of the romance, etc. I found the depictions of sex amusingly tame, though, and I can't even imagine why someone would be bothered by the quasi-siblinghood issue.

Edited by Azkyroth, 07 June 2008 - 06:14 PM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#12 -Al-

-Al-

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

I suspect this topic will be resurrected specifically to deal with Arkalian, when (*hears the silent mental changes to "if", glares*) I finish it, in several different categories.

I'm sorry, but what's that Arkalian mod, if I may ask?

#13 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

A mod in progress.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#14 -Al-

-Al-

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:14 PM

A mod in progress.

Ok, I get it. <_<

#15 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:03 AM

BEYOND THE LAW : Beyond the Law is probably the mod most excessive in "ways to kill the main Character", that is Kova. Apart from when you meet him and can choose to attack him (much like Valygar), there are at least 3 separate ways ( in cutscenes ) to turn him over (and therefore kill him), and there is another 4th way that shows up later on. One of the Deaths is even semi-railroaded (if you enter a place and do not have a certain whatever with you, he will die, Period. Even if you don't want it). Interestingly, it seems that these Cutscenes are probably the Least Viewed of all BTL Cutscenes.

From the very high numbers of comments on Kiyone's Interjections, probably also in this area. The total number of Interjections that the two of them comment on is probably excessive, to say the least, so much that I intend to cut down on the numbers and nature of the remarks in later releases. In any case, the general take on Kiyone interjections were "Gods I HATE her so much I want to strangle her" to "Man, I'm so glad, she said exactly what I would say if only I could."

Quest-wise, I'd say its also excessive. BTL is the only mod I know of that has a single Quest that almost forces you to start it while in Chapter 2 (otherwise Kiyone leaves) and can only be concluded after you kill Bodhi in Chapter 6. There is even an optional Part 7 of the Quest after the Finale that it seems almost no one ever attempts because it is kept so quiet, next to no hints are given on how to approach the matter, plus its successful commencement is also dependant on how you finished up a MUCH earlier portion of the mod.

Many people have also commented the Pursuit is pretty much Excessive, lol. I took a long time to accept this, but after I realised that the average player rests a LOT more frequently than I do, I started to realise, yeah that might explain why there are so many fights they get sucked up into. In its current release, BTL Pursuit is no longer as extreme, as compared to the earlier releases.

BTL Banters are excessive, especially between Kova & Kiyone. Hell even after I rewrote many banters, after I shortened and reduced stuff, and then shortened some more and.. guess what? They were still too long, in my opinion, compared to default Bioware Banters, lol. Not that I think most people who enjoy the mod really mind, but it bugs me somehow.

I'd like to say also that BTL is most buggy, but its not the truth ^^;; so I can't say that. Lol.

Oh and definitely, it probably is the Most Excessive "First NPC Mod" attempted by anyone who never did modding before. In terms of Scope and everything, lol. Well, that's it for an ego trip lol.

=============

CHLOE : This mod, is..extreme. If nothing else, for 25 DEX. And +5 Weapons made available on entering Spellhold, starting with a +3 and +2 weapon in Irenicus' Dungeon. And... a lot of things. Like threatening Renal Bloodscalp in his own lair surrounded by his henchmen. I was like, I would almost pissed in my pants, lol. And she pulled it off?! Sorry that just pisses me off, in a different sense of the earlier use of the term. She's also a daughter of a goddess that shows up personally to say Hi. If there was an example of a God-moding NPC brought to life, Chloe takes the cake. Hands-Down.

Edited by Zyraen, 09 June 2008 - 02:10 AM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#16 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:16 AM

Beyond the Law is one of the few mods I consider great. I think many of the NPC mods are extremely overpowering. Beyond the Law in my opinion was entertaining and I would recommend to everyone to try.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#17 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:55 PM

Oh and definitely, it probably is the Most Excessive "First NPC Mod" attempted by anyone who never did modding before. In terms of Scope and everything, lol. Well, that's it for an ego trip lol.

Challenge accepted.

Al, I forget what in all is publicly available on Arkalian. I've been working on her, slowly, for going on three years and I'm not done. (Of course, I've been seriously working on her for less than one). I'll see what I can find, but the fact that I'm a ways from meeting the criteria for a public forum complicates things.

#18 -Al-

-Al-

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:39 PM

No problem, don't take me seriously, I'm only fooling around. :cheers:

#19 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:19 AM

Nice summary, CMorgan (and thanks!) - I really am going to have to get off my arse and Tutu my BG so I can play with Gavin. Currently, BG gets a runthrough once every 4-5 trips through BG2, but I guess with the NPC packs that might change (although I really loathe Durlag's Tower...)

#20 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

The original Stuff of the Magi mod is up there in the excessive category. It was recently resurrected with the items toned down. Here's the mod. We've expanded on the story in the resurrection.