Photo

Dalayna romance mod

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Jarley

Jarley
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

Triple-posting already, sorry for that. But here's bits and pieces of her soundset. There will be some more of these.

Click-ons:

1. Sure, I have all the time in the world.
2. Is this absolutely necessary?
3. Another tiresome task?

Move:

1. Whatever you say...
2. I have better things to do, just have to come up with a few.

Combat:

1. Into the dark with you!
2. All flowers must wither.
3. Feel death's cold embrace!

Nearly dead:

1. Let this be the end.
2. I hope...there will be a better place beyond.
Dreams are like vertebrae - a broken one can cause paralysis

#42 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

I think there's only one "nearly dead" slot; you'd have to use one of those for the actual death noise, where it might stand out a bit (pretty much every NPC except Jan and Sarevok has a groan, a cough, or a a stage-choking noise that sounds like something between an implosive orgasm and throwing up).

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#43 Jarley

Jarley
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

Yeah...I wasn't sure how many there can be. Thank you for claering this out for me ^_^

#44 Jarley

Jarley
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:29 PM

Just updating to let ya know I haven't given up on this yet. Here is one of Dalayna's early LTs (third or fourth). The PC will, of course, have more options to chose from.

--------------------------

D: This Imoen we are looking for - is she a close friend?

PC: We spent our childhood together and there was hardly a day that we did not see each other. Every prank we played and joke we told we did together. I could not imagine my life without her so I could say we are close friends.

D: True friendship, like you portray here, appears in myths and legends solely. There are wants and needs that always come before the well-being of a friend. But you sound so certain. Are you sure she is worth all this trouble?

PC: I have never counted helping a friend as trouble. Why would I?

D: The problem with sentient beings, humans especially, is that they seem to measure every living thing's value in gold. How many coins would you say her soul weights?

PC: You are wrong - not everything can be given a price.

D: So she must be very important, unless you are just too ashamed to say you would exchange her life to a pair of slippers or a shiny new helm. She is just a human, after all, a leaf soon through her summer. The Autumn, if not deadly, will weaken her and she will perish in the WInter, huddled alone somewhere and hoping she could have gone down in her prime. And if I have learned something during my years it is that everyone betrays you in the end...or dies. Often both take place. Saving her would just lenghten her life, needlessly, and still you want to carry out this plan of yours. Tell me, what made her this special?

PC: You really are cold and heartless.

D: Cold - me? Perhaps you are correct. If you wish to have emphatic creatures with you, you should have left me in the cave.

Edited by Jarley, 13 September 2008 - 03:30 PM.

#45 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:21 AM

Nice talk, really!

"Farewell, Charname, and may Irenicus get you!"

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

- Author of lil one-day Moddie fox. -

#46 Jarley

Jarley
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:39 AM

Here's two more poem she recites if asked to. The first one will undergo some minor changes. In its current state it's still a bit messy.

--------

My light was gone before the storm
Before you blinked your eyes
There and back again
In that one look I was reborn
In that one look I died
And your cold hands
Palms turned to heaven
And thumbs to where it hurt
I would've wished them in my hair
In my heart
If I had one

My light was born before the storm
Before hope died within your eyes
And your fingers traveled along my spine
There and back again
In that one touch I was reborn
In that one touch I died
And your hair rained upon my face
Melting to my skin
I would have died for you then
If I could

I could say you were my light
But my light is long since gone
There
But not back again
Where it came from
Where it went
Is a mystery unsolved
But in me it came to life
And in me it died
I would have cried for my light
If I could
If I only could

------

It is in darkness I came to be
In darkness that I dwelled
A heartless thing
A smileless face
A bosy lacking a name
In the darkness I shoul have remained

It is in a heart of man I came to be
In a heart of man I grew
Months streched long
Years just passed me by
The hope still stayed alive
And from that wish I was born
But the man's heart was young no more

It is in darkness I now dwell
But not in one I should
Months returned my smileless face
And to feel I never could
It was in dream of his I lived
Always claimed I had come true
But I knew I never would

#47 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

I really like the conversation between Dalayna and the PC about Imoen. The flow of dialogue was very smooth, which I think can sometimes be hard for a new modder to get. (Or so I've seen - I haven't modded anything in my life! :))

I've got to say, I'm really not a fan of poetry - in real life, and especially in Baldur's Gate. However, if you think it is appropriate, and you feel it helps bring the character to life, by all means, go ahead!

Good luck, and keep us updated. :D

#48 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:38 AM

Nice songs - if she's the kind of person willing to recite. I know an NPC who only does it while drunk... :whistling:

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

#49 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:04 AM

I like the sound of this. She sounds deep and awesome, and I always enjoy having to do a bit of work for my lovings. :D

#50 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:40 AM

Hasn't 'losing the will to live' already been done? *coughxancough*

#51 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:34 AM

Hasn't 'losing the will to live' already been done? *coughxancough*

Nah, I talked to Jarley, and Dalayna didn't seem all in this "doomed" manner. :) (I think her views are different.)
Not all NPCs can be merry, eh? :P

Mazzy to Edwin:

#52 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:10 AM

I must say that I'm having trouble coming up with examples of merry NPCs. Most of them seems have been exposed to tragedy one way or the other. Even Imoen isn't her cheery self.

Then again, most of them retain the will to live so I suppose they aren't totally messed up. 8)
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#53 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:10 AM

I must say that I'm having trouble coming up with examples of merry NPCs. Most of them seems have been exposed to tragedy one way or the other. Even Imoen isn't her cheery self.

Then again, most of them retain the will to live so I suppose they aren't totally messed up. 8)

And one of these days I may get off my lazy bum and fix that. Bee happy. Bee halfling.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#54 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:25 AM

"Happy happy joy joy!"

:whistling:

:D

#55 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:52 AM

Well, Imoen isn't that cheerful anyMore. Seems to me like life was way easier on everyone in BG1.

Eh, this is offtopic already, but now that ya'll mention it... funny how humans are normally more attracted to happy people, while so many NPCs seem to have this angst. Can't get rid of it myself. :P

Mazzy to Edwin:

#56 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:35 AM

Hehe, a bit of angst can be interesting. Normally I'm the angsty one, and you'd be surprised how a cheerful and sweet attitude can crack a sour face into a smile. :) Maybe that's why people prefer happy counterparts, because they're somewhat angsty themselves. Have you ever met a person completely void of angst? I haven't. :)

Anyway, Dalayna sounds like a promising romantically darkish gloomy character, and I would love to play with her (gods, that sounds wrong) once she is released. ^_^

#57 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:21 AM

Not to be pedantic, and not addressed to anyone in particular, but...

Define "angst?"

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#58 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

angst

1. A feeling of acute but vague anxiety or apprehension often accompanied by depression, especially philosophical anxiety.
2. More commonly, painful sadness or emotional turmoil, as teen angst.

I'd say number two fits close enough for what a lot of our poor NPCs are going through, don't you think?

Edited by Lykainon, 01 December 2008 - 07:39 AM.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

#59 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

angst

1. A feeling of acute but vague anxiety or apprehension often accompanied by depression, especially philosophical anxiety.
2. More commonly, painful sadness or emotional turmoil, as teen angst.

I'd say number two fits close enough for what a lot of our poor NPCs are going through, wouldn't you say?

Yes. I just hear people throw the term around like Minsc uses "shirking" in that banter with Jaheira. It's also acquired a connotation, unfortunately, that isn't always a good fit for how NPCs deal with, respond to, or experience traumatic or tragic events.

#60 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:44 AM

Yes. I just hear people throw the term around like Minsc uses "shirking" in that banter with Jaheira.

I agree. A related annoyance is when people say they are depressed when they are in fact a little moody, miles away from the actual definition of depression. I'm not quite sure on what you mean by the second part but if your point is that people doesn't always deal with problems by bitching about them to their bestest buddy CHARNAME, we're on the same page. :rolleyes: