A few quick questions...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 -BlueStar-

-BlueStar-

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:31 AM

First of all, congratulations on this project! It really is helping me out with install orders and compatibility issues that were previously scaring me somewhat!

Anyway, so I've downloaded the BiG World 5.2beta PDF file, and I plan to follow it, however:

1), There's many instances where I'm meant to copy over a file from the patch .zip, which I assume is meant to help with compatibility. Can I still use these patched files, as essentially plan to skip over all the stuff regarding BG1 and I don't plan to use TDD/SoS etc

2), Is there anything else I'd need to change or problems I'd run into considering I'm just modding BG2 and aren't using any of the 'big mods' - for example, there's a section of mods I'm meant to use after the transition to BG2, but that wouldn't apply to me

3), Will I run into any problems if I use the one pixel production mods for the graphics? I like the idea of improved paperdolls and inventory graphics. These mods don't appear on the pdf!

Thanks for any help, I'm really excited to get going!

#2 DeusEx

DeusEx

Disappearing Member

• 757 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:37 AM

1) Yes you can, use patches for the mods you have, everything else is explained in BWP guide (more or less).

2) Not that I know off, but show me a list of mods you want to use.

3) 1pp is a great mod and you won't have any problems with it.

Edit:

@Jarno

fixed :lol:

Edited by DeusEx, 11 July 2008 - 10:47 AM.

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

3) 1pp is a great mod and you want have any problems with it

:rolleyes: 3) 1pp is a great mod and you won't have any problems with it.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 -BlueStar-

-BlueStar-

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

Well, uh... this is quite a list.
Thanks for the speedy reply. I love it!

Patch
G3 Fixpack (bigger one) - Don't use Oversight Alignment Corrections
Hell Trials fix from Quest Pack (http://forums.gibber...?showtopic=8676)

KITS:
Keenmarker
NPC Kitpack
Sorcerer's Place Collection (nearer the end?)
Level 1 NPCs

ITEMS:
Ashes of Embers (items only)
FR_ROV
BoM Item Pack
DoS25 (only if AI doesn't have to be installed)
Wild Mage Additions (Spells only)
SpellPackB4
Under-represented items

QUESTS:
Ascension
Redemption
Turnabout
Ghost
Item Upgrade
Ajoc
Assassination
Banter Packs
IEP Banter
NPC Flirt (maybe not)
BG2CPM
Lucy
Planar Sphere Mod
Planar Return
Potion Quest
Improved Asylum
Unfinished Business
Viconia Friendship
ToB Heads
Fading Promises
Dungeon be Gone
Dungeon Crawl
D0Quest Pack
Calculator
Tower of Deception

NPC:
Kelsey
Nathaniel

iiItem
iiKeynames

TACTICS:
GMinion
Tactics
Improved Battles
Rogue Rebalancing
Sword Coast Stratgems II

GRAPHIC:
Music Files
One Pixel Inventory Icons
Flame Swords
Paperdolls
Shields (D1)
Shields (D2)
The Way of Heroes
Widescreen
W_GUI

TWEAK:
Tweaks
Refinements (HLA only)

So yeah... that's the list, more or less. Although I did see a few on the .pdf that I'd never heard of that I might chuck in for fun.
... maybe.

Thanks a loooooot.

#5 DeusEx

DeusEx

Disappearing Member

• 757 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:56 PM

Well beside the mods I don't use (or know anything about them) there shouldn't be any problems. Widescreen , W_GUI should go after everything and you could sort it all out a bit (you know items with items NPC stuff with NPC). I don't think you will need Hell Trials fix from Quest Pack if you use BWP fixpack (recommended for everything). Keenmarker, SP Collection, Level 1 NPCs, Ghost, Lucy, Dungeon be Gone, GMinion are mods I never used so I can't tell you whether they will cause problems. Now what is DoS25, BG2CPM, The Way of Heroes and where can I find them.

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:24 AM

Widescreen, W_GUI should go after everything

The Widescreen mod needs to go after the GUI mod, as you'll have this beauty if it's not.

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:35 AM

SP Collection

This is fine. You want Creslyn's item pack from this instead of the one from SP Item Pack that overwrites. Install all kits near the end (maybe even after GUIs some say).

Level 1 NPCs

This should go after even kits, as the point is to pick up kits so you can assign them to NPCs.

Ghost

This has issues with overwriting animations from other mods. Someone called it a "useless mod" too (maybe even DeusEx) but I wouldn't know about that.

Lucy

Should be ok - just a minimod I think.

Dungeon be Gone

No problem.

GMinion

As a party AI mod, should be ok - some scripts might lag you a bit but just don't use them if so.

what is DoS25

Probably Desecration of Souls (already on list I think).

BG2CPM

No problem with this - just assigns portraits to all characters with dialogue.

The Way of Heroes

Never heard of this either.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#8 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:19 AM

The Way of Heroes

It's an item mod that recolors the +3 +armors to glow... according to this. Haven't tested so...

#9 -BlueStar-

-BlueStar-

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

Wow, thanks for all the help.

Sorry about the acronyms, I should've elaborated on what they were.
And yeah, The Way of Heroes makes armours glow. It sounded fun?

So yeah, I'll just use the files from the patch and then everything will be a-okay?
Fantastic.

Thanks again, I've been putting this off coz I don't want it to all fall apart.
That would make me sad.

#10 -BlueStar-

-BlueStar-

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

I'm sorry to harass you all with questions but I've just finalised the list of mods and all sorts of fun like that but it made me realise how much I'm confused about!

I've noted I have many mods (Exnem's Addon/Planar Sphere Mod/Sorc Place Item Collection/Arcane-Divine Spell Pack/Lost Crossroads Spellpack/Wild Mage Additions/Planar Sphere Mod/Ashes of Embers) that add spells! Is there any kind of limit, as there are with music tracks and kits, that I'm going to have problems with?

Also, where should I add the kits in the installation? The guide basically tells me to not install any kits...

Third... all the graphic mods (One Pixel Inventory Icons/ Flame Swords/ Paperdolls/ Shields/ The Way of Heroes/ W_GUI/ Widescreen) should go at the end, right...? What about all this 'biffing' business, should I biff before or after these mods?

Speaking of biffing! How come the "midbiff" bit is greyed out? Doesn't that mean I shouldn't do it?

And. Do I need the "big picture" mod. I was under the impression that it was only for intergrating the 'big' mods, but the .pdf makes it sound required even if I'm not using these big mods. For example, under the Tactics mod section, many components from that are already included with the Big Picture? Oh, the confusion.

Since I'm not BG1'ing it, I assume that the mods in the section "After the Transfer" I should just install after everything else, since there's no transfer for me?

Haha, oh yeah. And, reading around, there's topics like this! (http://www.shsforums...84). Do I need to worry about these things? E.g there's this issue that the arcane-divine overwrites rather than patches? Sounds major. And the lost crossroads spell pack fix? I can't say I understand all the code.

Finally... yeah. There's these mods I have that don't make an appearance on the guide.
  • Baldur's Gate II Character Portrait Mod
  • Lucy the Wyvern Mod
  • Planar Return
  • Potion Quest
  • ToB Heads
  • Dungeon-be-Gone
  • iiItem
  • iiKeynames
  • Level1NPC
Is anyone aware of wether they're compatible and whereabouts I should install them?

Mmm... so many question and issues. :unsure: I'm sorry to harass. I'm just confused. So very confused.
If anyone can help me... I'd be eternally grateful. Honest!

Thanks so much.

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

I've noted I have many mods (Exnem's Addon/Planar Sphere Mod/Sorc Place Item Collection/Arcane-Divine Spell Pack/Lost Crossroads Spellpack/Wild Mage Additions/Planar Sphere Mod/Ashes of Embers) that add spells! Is there any kind of limit, as there are with music tracks and kits, that I'm going to have problems with?

Well, technically, you can only have 100 spells of any level installed, as they are numbered from spwi101 to spwi199 etc. And in practical terms, you can only have as many as will show up in your spellbook for each level. Not sure on that number, but I think it's less than 100.

But the problem with a lot of these mods, is they don't add new spells, or they only add some new spells. Mainly, they change existing spells. And this is where you need to be careful and do some consideration. Some of these mods overwrite files, so whichever one is installed last will "win" - at least for the files it modifies. Read the documentation for each mod carefully. It could be you want to mix and match spells from several mods, or maybe you'll just decide that one or two mods will suit your purposes.

Regarding ADPack, it will overwrite quite a bit, as will LC SpellPack. I have installed both of these before Fixpack (because otherwise they will overwrite Fixpack's spell corrections) and have instructions for how to do that in one of thse BWP posts. You may want to try Spell Revisions instead of AD Pack, but I don't know if anyone's tested it yet. It also will overwrite quite a bit, but its author claims it includes and improves upon ADPack. Just don't install both, as they will just overwrite each other anyway.

Also, where should I add the kits in the installation? The guide basically tells me to not install any kits...

Install them after End-Biff somewhere and you should be fine.

Third... all the graphic mods (One Pixel Inventory Icons/ Flame Swords/ Paperdolls/ Shields/ The Way of Heroes/ W_GUI/ Widescreen) should go at the end, right...? What about all this 'biffing' business, should I biff before or after these mods?

GUI and Widescreen definitely go after End-Biff. The other stuff is up to you, but I would also put it after. The thing about biffing is it archives your override to speed up your gameplay, but the drawback is you can't change anything installed before it once you've done that. So for example, if a 1PP v4 comes out and you've installed 1PP v3 before End-Biff, you're pretty much out of luck if you want to try the new version.

Speaking of biffing! How come the "midbiff" bit is greyed out? Doesn't that mean I shouldn't do it?

Correct. I don't know why you'd want to use it. In fact, I don't even install End-Biff until I'm sure everything else is working and I've backed it up.

And. Do I need the "big picture" mod. I was under the impression that it was only for intergrating the 'big' mods, but the .pdf makes it sound required even if I'm not using these big mods. For example, under the Tactics mod section, many components from that are already included with the Big Picture? Oh, the confusion.

It's primarily an AI mod though it has some compatibility components too perhaps. I don't think you "need" it, but someone more familiar with it might be able to answer better.

Since I'm not BG1'ing it, I assume that the mods in the section "After the Transfer" I should just install after everything else, since there's no transfer for me?

Yes. If you're not playing BG1, you don't need any of those mods either, or even BGT.

Haha, oh yeah. And, reading around, there's topics like this! (http://www.shsforums...4�entry400984). Do I need to worry about these things? E.g there's this issue that the arcane-divine overwrites rather than patches? Sounds major. And the lost crossroads spell pack fix? I can't say I understand all the code.

See my comments above on that. You'll want to grab those fixes though, since I don't think they've been incorporated into the BWP Fixpack yet.

Finally... yeah. There's these mods I have that don't make an appearance on the guide.

• Baldur's Gate II Character Portrait Mod
  • Lucy the Wyvern Mod
  • Planar Return
  • Potion Quest
  • ToB Heads
  • Dungeon-be-Gone
  • iiItem
  • iiKeynames
  • Level1NPC
Is anyone aware of wether they're compatible and whereabouts I should install them?

I think I answered most of these before. The only one I'm not sure is compatible is Planar Return, but if you do install it, put it after Planar Sphere. iiItem takes a long (I mean *long*) time to install on BWP. It also stacks potions and arrows in bags of holding, so I wouldn't really recommend it until it can be optimised a bit. L1NPCs install after kits at the end, like I said before.

"A few quick questions" eh? <_<

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#12 Soulfire

Soulfire
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:41 AM

Doesn't Planar Sphere come with Planar Return anyway?

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

The Planar Sphere readme says "This mod was not built to include the PlanarSphere Return add-on and compatibility issues may arise."

The Way of Heroes

It's an item mod that recolors the +3 +armors to glow... according to this. Haven't tested so...

I looked at this. You don't really want to install it. Not only is it non-WeiDU, not only does it overwrite a bunch of standard items, but it overwrites your dialog.tlk file, which controls practically all the text in the game. And judging from the screenshots, I suspect the glowing might get annoying after a while. If you really want it, install it after the official patch but before anything else, including the Fixpack. I would really discourage putting any non-WeiDU mods on a BWP install though.

#14 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:59 AM

Yes, with the current version.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:01 AM

Well, I was quoting from the 2.6c readme, so maybe someone needs to update it?

#16 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:04 AM

Well, I was quoting from the 2.6c readme, so maybe someone needs to update it?

Why? Who reads them anyway? :blink:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#17 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:12 AM

:WTF: :rtfm: :crazy:

#18 Soulfire

Soulfire
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:36 AM

Not only is it non-WeiDU

There's non-WeiDU mods? Dear God, have I been sucked into a time warp? Quickly, what year is it?!

#19 -BlueStar-

-BlueStar-

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

Right... I thought asking about spells was a pointless question since it all seems a-okay in the install guide! But I'm glad I did now!

Thanks SO MUCH for all the help. I think I'm somewhat less confused and disoriented now.

Apart from wondering about the important of the 'big picture' mod.
Thanks again.
Thanks