Photo

Other rpg rules

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 madbob

madbob
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:18 PM

Although i have plyed d&d since 1986 its not my prefered rpg of choice, although i admit i amm not familiar with the latest versions; all my rulebooks are from around 1985-90.

Other rpg i am familiar with are Harnmaster, and Runequest. and dragon warriors, but thats really obscure!

Runequest as a % based system with mana based magic casting always seemed a more fun game than d+d more rigid system.

IS anyone else here familiar with these rules systems? or other similar % based rpg games.

#2 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:23 AM

Although i have plyed d&d since 1986 its not my prefered rpg of choice, although i admit i amm not familiar with the latest versions; all my rulebooks are from around 1985-90.

Other rpg i am familiar with are Harnmaster, and Runequest. and dragon warriors, but thats really obscure!

Runequest as a % based system with mana based magic casting always seemed a more fun game than d+d more rigid system.

IS anyone else here familiar with these rules systems? or other similar % based rpg games.

Runequest certainly. I only played a little Harn, and although I think I remember seeing dragon warriors I never played it. Runequest was one of my favourite games in the 1980s, and I've bought some of the new Runequest materials from Mongoose. The thing I really loved about it wasn't the rules system but the world - Glorantha. Without question, one of the most imaginative and original fantasy worlds ever. I used a version of the Lunar Empire in my own homebrewed D&D world for years without the players ever realising, and I've included some other NPCs in all sorts of games. Joh Mith made a really good smuggler in a Star Wars game, and Rurik Runespear got a name change and employment as a bouncer in another. So many memories, so much fun. Now you've made me all nostalgic. :unsure:

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.