Pendant of Yemeth Quest (SPOILERS)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 -Ajit-

-Ajit-

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

Hey Qwinn,

This is great--thanks for all the hard work. I haven't played PST in ages, but I'm playing it again because of your new mods.

I do have a question about the Pendant of Yemeth Quest.

There seems to be few options for someone "good" in it: I take it we're supposed to kill Rake-Chaser? And then get into a fight with the two Fiends in the SCB? Does that end the Quest? What do we do with the Pendant once we get it back from the Fiends? You'd mentioned the Quest spanned 2 areas and 6 actors, but I only counted 5 (Rake-Chaser, the two Fiends, Rathbone and the Rake), unless Ilquix counts as the 6th, when he joins in the fight against the Fiends?

Hope I am not including too many spoilers, but since there are no walkthrus for these modded quests, I wasn't sure where to ask the questions.

Thanks!

EDIT: Split from the "Congratulations" topic by Qwinn, to remove spoilers in a non-spoiler thread

Edited by Qwinn, 16 July 2008 - 11:53 PM.

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:15 PM

This is great--thanks for all the hard work. I haven't played PST in ages, but I'm playing it again because of your new mods.

Awesome, and you're welcome :)

There seems to be few options for someone "good" in it:

Agreed. Unfortunately, that's all there really was to play with.

I take it we're supposed to kill Rake-Chaser? And then get into a fight with the two Fiends in the SCB?

Well, you could do the contract with the Rake Chaser also, and still fight the devils. Another possibility that might not be immediately obvious is to do the contract with "him", and then kill him as he's leaving the area and take the pendant anyway. I doubt that was intended, but I was able to do it with the scripts as they existed, so I put some effort into making sure that doesn't bug things up when you talk to the devils afterwards.

Does that end the Quest?

Pretty much.

What do we do with the Pendant once we get it back from the Fiends?

Nothing I'm aware of. It has no special properties.

You'd mentioned the Quest spanned 2 areas and 6 actors, but I only counted 5 (Rake-Chaser, the two Fiends, Rathbone and the Rake), unless Ilquix counts as the 6th, when he joins in the fight against the Fiends?

I was thinking of Ilquix also when I gave that count, yes, you didn't miss anything I'm aware of.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 17 July 2008 - 12:02 AM.

#3 -Ajit-

-Ajit-

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:06 AM

I take it we're supposed to kill Rake-Chaser? And then get into a fight with the two Fiends in the SCB?

Well, you could do the contract with the Rake Chaser also, and still fight the devils. Another possibility that might not be immediately obvious is to do the contract with "him", and then kill him as he's leaving the area and take the pendant anyway. I doubt that was intended, but I was able to do it with the scripts as they existed, so I put some effort into making sure that doesn't bug things up when you talk to the devils afterwards.

Does that end the Quest?

Pretty much.

What do we do with the Pendant once we get it back from the Fiends?

Nothing I'm aware of. It has no special properties.

You'd mentioned the Quest spanned 2 areas and 6 actors, but I only counted 5 (Rake-Chaser, the two Fiends, Rathbone and the Rake), unless Ilquix counts as the 6th, when he joins in the fight against the Fiends?

I was thinking of Ilquix also when I gave that count, yes, you didn't miss anything I'm aware of.

Qwinn

Thanks a lot for the prompt answers and hard work on the quest, Qwinn--it was enjoyable to have something new and different in the game, and have the two Fiends actually have a role. The pros certainly outweigh the limitations of the quest.

#4 -Ajit-

-Ajit-

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

Oh, by the way...

...do we ever see the Rake again once we kill the Rake-Chaser? I tried coming back during the day time to see if he was around, but no show.

I think a somewhat satisfying ending for the Quest would be to find the Rake later, during the day time in the same location and/or in the Clerk's Ward (having returned home) or somewhere else appropriate and have him and/or his family thank you for saving him from the Rake-Chaser's spell/thralldom (with maybe an appropriate gift/XP). For the good characters, it'd be neat. Of course, that'd require more scripting/writing than Black Isle put in initially, so some of the more hardcore fans may not appreciate it, but so far you've shown to have a skillful hand in implementing things, so maybe it'd be a worthy effort.

Also, you might want to consider doing something with the Amulet of Yemeth. Once again, I am not sure how difficult it would be--I know it'd depart from the original to do so, but it might be worth it. As it stands, I really do like the Quest--it's great to have something new unearthed from the original--but it feels a bit...unfinished, with both the Rake's story and the Amulet.

Just a thought.

#5 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:06 PM

*nod* It's not a bad idea. I particularly like the Rake-Goes-Home idea. (and for the record, no, he won't show up again as it stands).

What I'm currently considering is leaving all the components installable as they currently exist, where I basically just add the minimum amount required to get any particular component working properly, sticking as close as possible to what was actually in the game files.

Then, once they are installed, you would also get an option to install "Expanded" versions of each component (as opposed to just "Restored"). This is where I could add stuff more freely, where I felt the component needed more than just a simple restoration, things like balancing experience awards, or adding options for varying alignments such as your suggestions above. This wouldn't apply to all components, of course, just the ones where there was something worth expanding upon. Right now, I'm only considering doing expanded versions of the Pendant of Yemeth and Deionarra's Truth components.

Just as a general question to anyone reading this thread: Is this something you'd be interested in? Or do you think you'd prefer to stick with the versions that stick strictly to what I found in the game files? Any input on that would be appreciated.

Note: Don't be expecting anything along those lines for the upcoming release that'll hopefully happen over the next week or two. Something like this would be down the line.

Qwinn

#6 Arkain

Arkain
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

Well, you could do the contract with the Rake Chaser also, and still fight the devils. Another possibility that might not be immediately obvious is to do the contract with "him", and then kill him as he's leaving the area and take the pendant anyway. I doubt that was intended, but I was able to do it with the scripts as they existed, so I put some effort into making sure that doesn't bug things up when you talk to the devils afterwards. [...]

Heh, my thief did the exact same thing - backstab ftw :D. Interesting quest by the way, with a lot of potential for further plots.

*nod* It's not a bad idea. I particularly like the Rake-Goes-Home idea. (and for the record, no, he won't show up again as it stands).

What I'm currently considering is leaving all the components installable as they currently exist, where I basically just add the minimum amount required to get any particular component working properly, sticking as close as possible to what was actually in the game files.

Then, once they are installed, you would also get an option to install "Expanded" versions of each component (as opposed to just "Restored"). This is where I could add stuff more freely, where I felt the component needed more than just a simple restoration, things like balancing experience awards, or adding options for varying alignments such as your suggestions above. This wouldn't apply to all components, of course, just the ones where there was something worth expanding upon. Right now, I'm only considering doing expanded versions of the Pendant of Yemeth and Deionarra's Truth components.

Just as a general question to anyone reading this thread: Is this something you'd be interested in? Or do you think you'd prefer to stick with the versions that stick strictly to what I found in the game files? Any input on that would be appreciated.

Note: Don't be expecting anything along those lines for the upcoming release that'll hopefully happen over the next week or two. Something like this would be down the line.

Qwinn

I like the idea of having the standard restored and an expanded version avaible. Thumps up.

Maybe one could also think about what to do with the pendant. Maybe TNO could give it to Lothar in exchange for more information or something like that. I guess many mages and fiends would be interested in such an item. Or maybe you could expand upon the cornugon one meets below Curst. There are many possibilities.

#7 -Ajit-

-Ajit-

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

I like the idea of having the standard restored and an expanded version avaible. Thumps up.

Maybe one could also think about what to do with the pendant. Maybe TNO could give it to Lothar in exchange for more information or something like that. I guess many mages and fiends would be interested in such an item. Or maybe you could expand upon the cornugon one meets below Curst. There are many possibilities.

I am also in favor of both the standard restored and expanded versions--PST is one of those great games that offer so many more possibilities than what the great people at Black Isle were able to do with the time/resources given. But for the skilled modder, I think building off of the right paths would add a lot to the general PST fan community.

And I also like Arkain's ideas with the pendant--some good ideas there, with various other options, too.

I say go for it, man. I think you'll get a solid response.

#8 -Phobos-

-Phobos-

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

For the record, where is this new Ratbone? I've searched the Square and all around the SCB, but I've yet to see him.

#9 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

He can be a little tricky to find, yeah. Look north of Mebbeth's house, I believe to the east side of it. It may not be immediately obvious that you can walk up that way, but you can.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 25 July 2008 - 09:16 AM.

#10 -id4andrei-

-id4andrei-

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

Tell you what I did. I unwillingly killed rake-chaser and the dueler(running around him while morte and dakon finishing him off) then played the game some more in the hive...found ratbone, told me about rake-chaser and devil deal... then after i found pharod i went back to the smoldering corpse bar. There once i talked to one of those fiends they reacted to me carrying the pendant, gave it to them(1000xp ) then killed them(VERY HARD TO DO even with medium dificulty slider, need lots of healing). Remember this is while i was level 6 fighter i believe. Each fiend gave me 7k xp and ilquix 12k xp . THIS INSANELY amount of xp led me to believe that i was not supposed to kill the fiends so early in the game or maybe they are not meant to be killed AT ALL. Now I will try to kill every 7k xp fiend in the hive.
Your opinions on this matter ?

#11 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

My opinion is, the rewards are commensurate with the difficulty at that stage in the game. I don't think there's a need to change it. Now if you tell me that there's a way to make those fights easy, then there's a problem, but as you indicated that it's "VERY HARD TO DO", I don't have a problem with it.

Of course, gaining that much xp so early on could also make later things trivially easy, so I don't know that I'd recommend it.

Qwinn

#12 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

First off all good that someone answered my post. I thought this topic was dead. The way to do it is actually pretty simple(in concept) ; medium difficulty because on extreme difficulty you die quite fast. Buy a lot of healing needles. My weapon used was a bone dagger +1 with +1 attack speed good damage and me having proficiency in daggers. I find it is better than a enchanted axe. Also buff yourself with whatever spells dakon has.
Give them the pedant to receive 1000xp, then choose to attack them; after this ilquix will transform and aid you(not very efficient by the way, you may need to reload the game as ilquix does not always morph) keep morte and dakon hitting one target.As your HP lowers pause the game and heall yourself right up. Many needles i mean like 60. I suspect the +2 ac tatoo and a +2 strenght tatoo would help a lot. If the fiends switch to morte or dakon run with the respective npc and hit the fiends as they go :). Yes i know a grueling dance of micro but eventually u will kill 1 fiend. After you kill the second you retrieve the pendant for your self then speak to ilquix. You have an option to "convince" him that lawful is better than chaotic. Choose that and fight him. 12k xp. After fiends + ilquix you get like 27k xp. The level gap in my case was 32k but i had like 5k made over it. With this achievement I gained a level. Is that such a big deal. I imagine fighting the fiends as a mage or as a thief would be pretty impossible :). If you do not wish to do this you must part with the pendant and gain I must say an acceptable 1000 xp for your level and game area. But maybe you need it later who knows.
Another question, what the hell is the sleeping briaur( centaur goat ) in the arno's flophouse? My first time playing this game and i already found pharod and i am about to start his quest. I really hate to leave some loose ends. Oh, do I need Ilquix later on ? Should I not kill him?

#13 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

Give them the pedant to receive 1000xp, then choose to attack them; after this ilquix will transform and aid you(not very efficient by the way, you may need to reload the game as ilquix does not always morph)

Yeah, I know. It's scripted that way - he actually usually will EVENTUALLY morph, it depends on where he is in his walking-back-and-forth script. If he's at the bar having a drink, he's likely to pause (possibly for a good long while, like 30-40 seconds) before morphing. I thought about changing all that, but then figured it rather fit his chaotic nature.

But maybe you need it later who knows.

Not at this point. Maybe down the line, if I ever get to doing an Expanded Yemeth Quest, but that probably won't be for quite a while so I wouldn't worry about it. I should note that there ARE good ideas in this thread, and when I finally get around to it I will likely use some of them.

Another question, what the hell is the sleeping briaur( centaur goat ) in the arno's flophouse?

Nothing I can find. He'll fight back if you attack him, but he doesn't have a dialog file assigned and I don't see how he leads to anything. Just for atmosphere, I guess.

Oh, do I need Ilquix later on ? Should I not kill him?

Go ahead if you like, you don't need him for anything else later.

Qwinn

#14 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Briaurs(2) + various fiends around the city = tonne of xp. There is a talkative briaur that "will" tell me later something about him. Maybe it has to do something with the other one sleeping.
Anyway for the time being i chose not to kill everything for the sake of XP, though i doubt 1 level will make later things trivially easy as you suggested.
I am curious if i kill the entire population of dabuses what will happen. Man I hate how they hammer all the time. Will the lady of blades get me ? :)

#15 Arkain

Arkain
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

The Lady would maze you, yes. And your alignment might shift more to evil/chaos. Like you said, one level really doesn't make that much of a difference. Besides, if one really wants that level he can visit Undersigil any time later on.

Fighting fiends as a thief is quite easy, btw.

Edited by Arkain, 05 September 2008 - 10:15 AM.

#16 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:17 AM

Well arkain not at level 3 thief it ain't :). I could be level 6 fighter or 3 thief or 3 mage when i engaged the beer loving fiends. Anyway the story of the game far surpasses the simple leveling options and feats.

#17 Zyrica

Zyrica
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:41 AM

Qwinn

Could the pendant of Yemeth bring up some lost memories? Can it be done? If TNO was Yemeth at some point, maybe the pendant could bring forth old memories (=experience).

Something like: "The pendant reminds you of something long lost. You recall a part of your life as Yemeth the wizard."
"You gain experience. Your intelligence increases permanently."

Was Yemeth a wizard? I don't remember. But something like that anyway...

Z

Z
You live in your little world and I live in mine. Both have little to do with the reality...

#18 -Boring guy-

-Boring guy-

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

My take on Yemeth is that he was the one that taught Ignus. I think that talking with reekwind points to that. Anyway, i think that the pendant can be a reward thing like moridor box, where the pendant is a key, or a upgradable item. Now where would a mage like to keep something hidden? I'm thinking the hidden tomb on dead nations, (not the one on the drowned catacombs - even if that is appropriate). There is a lot of new content on the normal catacombs now, but that tiled trapped tomb always felt special, yet there was nothing there.

I'm not suggesting anything specific, but if you do something with this, i'd like it to be very hard to find correctly, something needing a high perception check just to notice, and a high intelligence to pull successfully.

I'd personally like an upgraded pendant, and one original spell. :devil: A burning one.

#19 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

And a new story for tale-chaser wouldn't go amiss. Heh.

#20 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

Another quest that frustrated me a lot is the Xi finding "quest". Very non-closure.