another newbie question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

Error: Access is denied
Error: unable to create output file "C:\Program Files\Torment\Setup-PST-Fix.exe"

I'm pretty new to these things haha, but having a big issue getting these fix pack's installed. When I try to extract them through winzip/winrare, this is what pops up. Any idea?
Thnx

#2 Arkain

Arkain
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

Have you tried to download again? Maybe the file's corrupted or something. Happens from time to time, afaik.

#3 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:39 AM

I have to head out the door, but I'd point out that

"C:\Program Files\Torment"

doesn't sound like the actual directory the game is normally installed to. For the 4 CD version, the path is Program Files\Black Isle\Torment. The 2CD version is a little different, I think, but Black Isle should still be part of the path.

Rather than trying to unzip the files from some other directory into the game directory, try using windows explorer to put the .rar files directly into the game directory, then right click on the files and choose "Extract Here". (You will get that option if you have winrar successfully installed on your computer).

Gotta run, good luck, will check in later.

Qwinn

#4 Ragic

Ragic
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I just extracted the files to the Download section, then copied them over.

It works now and I can't wait to play Torment with them! Until recently I didn't really know about these sort've things haha. Huge fan of Torment, and I'll check back in a few days to give you my thoughts. ;)

#5 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

Cool, please do, I haven't been getting a lot of feedback unfortunately. What there has been has been positive, thankfully, but little enough that I still worry sometimes :)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 24 July 2008 - 01:00 PM.

#6 Ragic

Ragic
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

Few notes:
Just got to the Buried Village and noticed that Martha and Quinn's rooms both have fog of war still.
A few times when I'd try to talk to NPCs nothing would happen, the game wouldn't acknowledge that I clicked them.

Few things that I wanted to post about before I got too far :)

#7 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

Oops, didn't see that last post, sorry.

Just got to the Buried Village and noticed that Martha and Quinn's rooms both have fog of war still.

I presume this is a problem because you have Explore All Areas tweak installed? If so, that's because those areas don't have any script at all... and there's no good reason to add one, either. When the next version of the Tweak Pack is released, that tweak won't intentionally explore -all- areas anymore, just city areas, per player request, so this won't really be an issue. Thanks for reporting it though.

A few times when I'd try to talk to NPCs nothing would happen, the game wouldn't acknowledge that I clicked them.

If you mean talking to your own NPC's... sigh, yeah. I haven't been able to determine what causes that, it's an intermittent problem. I also don't expect it to be fixable, unfortunately, because whatever mechanism is doing that is in the engine executable. Moving from one area to another, or saving/reloading your game, will usually fix it. Sorry I can't come up with a better solution there.

Qwinn