• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

Hey Tempest! It's great to see you back with the sequel... again, I have to apologise for not commenting earlier because of uni and real life... but now I'm here, and enjoying every bit of it. :)

Your beginning is very promising... I like how you phased Alexandria in and out of Irenicus' scientific recordings. Somehow, that makes more sense given Irenicus' character than him just speaking to you whenever you regain consciousness. The involvement of Ajantis is also intriguing... can't wait to see more from you, my friend. ^_^

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:35 PM

I really did mean to have the next chapter done tonight, but then I scrapped it and decided to start over. :( The opening of BG2 is, in my opinion, a royal pain to put into fanfic-Irenicus conveniently leaving an armory right next to the prison cells, lots of items, some magical, scattered all over the place, most suitable for the ecletic needs of adventurers trying to escape, that wierd genie scene... I will be *very* glad when I'm done with Chateau Irenicus in ASE.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#3 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

The opening of BG2 is, in my opinion, a royal pain to put into fanfic-Irenicus conveniently leaving an armory right next to the prison cells, lots of items, some magical, scattered all over the place, most suitable for the ecletic needs of adventurers trying to escape

Well, I guess the overused method of explaining such things is that Irenicus is so confident of himself that he doesn't believe anyone will escape. Furthermore, since he is a powerful mage, he has no use for the scrap metal that warriors seem to carry, so he just tosses it around wherever there is room.

Still...

It seems unlikely anyway. Oh well...

And, for a comment, it's nice to see the story is underway once again. Just one question. Is Irenicus dictating to someone to write down what he says, does he have some sort of recorder, or is he being the stereotypical madman and just talking to himself?
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#4 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:28 AM

:doh: Always a late one I am.

The opening to the new section of Alexandria's life, and indeed SoA was very well done Tempest, I agree with Shadowhawke fully as well. :)

A curious thing how Jaheira and Xan managed to get themselves out of their own restraints without Imoen's skilled help. The fact none of them have seen her definetely raises an eyebrow if you ask me.

Look foward to seeing how you lay things out ahead. ^_^ :cheers:

Is Irenicus dictating to someone to write down what he says, does he have some sort of recorder, or is he being the stereotypical madman and just talking to himself?

As part of his curse, his hold on memory is fragile at best (another reason why his bravado only gets one hearing methinks). ;)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#5 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:21 AM

Is Irenicus dictating to someone to write down what he says, does he have some sort of recorder, or is he being the stereotypical madman and just talking to himself?

I had originally meant to go into more detail on this, but it's a magical recording device, letting him take notes simply by speaking.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#6 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

Because killing is an art, and I am a master.

• 344 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:08 AM

Very good start Tempest, looking forward to seeing more.

#7 Arkeus

Arkeus
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

Looking forward to more.

Lots of elements pointing at imoen, is there!

Please have Xan cast a spell, and not Imoen?

With Cherry on top?

#8 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

Not sure what you mean-Xan was a plenty active spellcaster in ASE and will be again, but if you're talking about the scene with the Cowled Wizards and Irenicus, Imoen will be the one captured. I'm changing elements of the plot to suit my purposes, but I'm trying to stick to the main points.

#9 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:47 PM

Was the bit with the elemental thing inspired by the canon genie guy who doesn't seem to serve much purpose in the canon game?

Good stuff, either way. Looking forward to more.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#10 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:41 AM

I'm finally back from vacation, so expect chapter 43 in the next couple of days. Got to do lots of thinking and planning during the 14-hour drive home. >_>

#11 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

• 344 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:10 PM

Great chapter Tempest. Liking the originality your bring to chateau Irenicus. Looking forward to the next chapter.

#12 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:29 PM

The next chapter is about halfway done, so it should be up in another day or two.

And on a side note, there's a reason for Alexandria not being competent with a longsword-I'm still using PnP stats and whatnot as guidelines for the story, and Alexandria has yet to pick up martial weapons proficiency. :) Neither the cleric nor the soulknife class grants that feat, and she's never felt the need for a broader range of weapons.

#13 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

• 344 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

Very good new chapter Tempest. Liking what you've done with that annoying starting dungeon. The ending was abit of a shock as well, though I was expecting something along those lines.

#14 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

Strange as it sounds, I've been kinda aiming for a more realistic Chateau Irenicus-or at least a consistent one. Given that you have to take a magic portal to get from one level of it to another, it made sense to me that the two levels were actually very far apart-and I should have left enough hints that the first level may actually be on another plane-bonus points if you guess which one I've been hinting at. :)

The ending of the chapter was pretty expectable, I know, but it was what it had to be. One chapter of ASE more-or-less directly stated what Imoen's condition had to be, and I'm trying to avoid temporal paradoxes.

Oh, and a juicy hint: it's looking more and more like one of the party members in Malleus Animorum is going to be an npc who doesn't join the party in canon BG2.

#15 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

• 344 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

So a character from who appears in BG2 but isn't joinable? The two I have in mind are; the obvious choice Ajantis and Hendak. Probably miles off though.

#16 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:16 PM

Nope. :)

#17 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:59 AM

Awesome work, Tempest! Sorry I haven't reviewed for a while... I just caught up, and I must say that I really am loving your realistic Chateau Irenicus. The attention to detail, the little twists, as well as the sheer believable harshness depicted in your scenes are great. Not to mention that you left us at a rather evil moment...

In short, my friend, it looks like your storytelling has only gotten better. I'm really looking forwards to your next installment. And I'm not even going to try to guess which plane or which character, because I'm sure I'll fail miserably...

#18 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

• 344 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:40 AM

Nope. :)

Pffft, fine then :rolleyes: <_<

#19 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:58 AM

Well, the plane I was hinting at was a very obscure one-the quasi-elemental plane of Mineral, where the Plane of Earth borders the Positive Energy Plane. :)

The next installment might be slow getting up-I'm moving back down to college today, and it takes a week or so to get back into the swing of things, but I'll try to avoid a month-long gap in posting like what happened with book one. I do have plans in mind, and I intend to fulfill them...

#20 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:28 AM

Wow... *love* your new chapter. I thought that the way you had Xan haltingly discuss his feelings was brilliant; it was both touching and yet lighthearted at the same time, while also being very deeply revealing into both characters. I must admit, in contrast Imoen's reactions felt a bit jarring compared to each other at the end of the chapter, but overall it was great, and I love the new detail you put into it like the elven clothes. :)

Can't wait for more ^_^