Your first game.

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

I was just wondering, what was your first game, you ever played? Spill the guts. In my case - it's Neverhood. A simple logic game, where's main character is plasticine man. (Boy, I remember the funniest moment in this game, with giant crab and a doll from dynamite). C'mon don't be shy... ^_^

#2 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

I really cannot remember but ill take a gander I think it was Super Mario bro's and duckhunt when I was 4 or 5 for Nintendo

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#3 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

I think it was some kind of crappy Famous Five adventure game for kids.

First game I remember playing obsessively was Wizardry 8.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

The original Bubble Bobble on Commodore 64 :lol:
--------------------
No, in reality, even though I didn't really take part on it, it was the screaming game, as the humane soul is taken by the banshees and given to the demon monolith. :whistling:

#5 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

Diablo 1, the first demo. Good times.

Edited by Choo Choo, 23 August 2008 - 11:41 AM.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#6 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hangman in Windows 3.1!
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#7 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:29 AM

I remember, those good times, when Mario was a game of a year...

#8 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

Oh my God. So long ago ...

It might have been Oregon Trail - a free game in which you created your own caravan and went West, facing all the trials of the road.

It might have been Scrabble - a game of Scrabble. On screen. (For the desperately lonely, with no-one else to play them in real life).

It might have been Word Challenge - a series of word searches, anagrams and other such fun activities.

Or it might have been Age of Empires.

I really can't remember. All I do remember is how much fun I used to have. And how crushingly easy it was to entertain my simple, simple mind.

Edited by Crazee, 25 August 2008 - 03:51 AM.

#9 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:31 AM

Ah, Age of Empires! I played that, too, but it wasn't the first game I played. I only had the trial version, if I remember correctly.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#10 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:34 AM

I played Age Of Mythology. Know this game?

#11 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:48 PM

The earliest one I can remember is Think Quick (1987), but there are also the King's Quest series of which the first and second installments came out circa 1985... Of course, I was quite young at the time, so my memory's a bit hazy... :rolleyes:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#12 SaintZenn

SaintZenn

Best game ever

• 419 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

First game was Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. To this day I still can't beat the damn game without cheating. The fact that I can beat the New Super Mario Bros in a day really says that they've made them so much easier.
My Deviantart account

Mme. Thenardier:
I used to dream that I would meet a prince
But God Almighty, have you seen what's happened since?
Master of the house? Isn't worth me spit!
`Comforter, philosopher' and lifelong sh*t!
Cunning little brain, regular Voltaire
Thinks he's quite a lover but there's not much there
What a cruel trick of nature landed me with such a louse
God knows how I've lasted living with this bastard in the house!

#13 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

Bomberman for Dendy.

#14 Abigail

Abigail
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:22 AM

I'm not sure if it was really first, but I remember it best - I believe it was called Prehistoric.
my deviantart account ---> http://prozakc-blues.deviantart.com

#15 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:37 AM

I played Age Of Mythology. Know this game?

Of course. In fact, I've got the game sitting right to my left, begging me to play. It hasn't seen much use, but I always enjoyed taking a whirl on it. :)

Another game I remember, that came free with Oregon Trail, was 3D House Maker. I used to spend ages making my own farm, sausage-shaped pigs, cows and sheep included. :D

EDIT - Because I can't spell Oregon, apparently.

Edited by Crazee, 25 August 2008 - 03:51 AM.

#16 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:39 AM

Thanks for replies! :cheers:

#17 -SK-

-SK-

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:35 AM

pong then super-pong

I remember Oregon Trail, but with the other names you mentioned (and doing a google image search) that might be the second version of OT, since the one I remember did not have such high graphics as the image search reported.

I was also there when space invaders and asteroids followed by pac-man and donkey-Kong

the best of the first games was Wizardry for apple2 (e)

#18 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:46 AM

The first game I remember playing was some "edutainment" Mr. Men game for the ZX Spectrum, back in 1984 or so. It might have been this, but given I was only 3 or 4 at the time my memory is a little hazy :).

The first game I ever obsessed over was Lords of Midnight (also on the Spectrum), soon followed by its sequel Doomdark's revenge. Believe it or not, there is (still) an active on-line community for those games!

I'm not 100% sure what the first PC game I ever played was, as when we got a PC we got a whole load of games at the same time. It was possibly one of the early Sierra graphical adventures (King's Quest, Space Quest, etc).

The first PC game I ever got into in a big way was Ultima VII.

Finally, the first console game I ever played was Super Mario Bros.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 25 August 2008 - 03:49 AM.

#19 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:04 AM

Um, Pong? I'm as old as dirt so I've been in it since the beginning - I played Space Invaders, Asteroids, Frogger etc in arcades and as I went to Essex Uni, I played MUD. I never owned a computer until 1988, when I bought an 8MHz 8086 with no hard drive, and got hooked on NetHack. After investing in a 32MB hard card, I got my first commercial game, which was Midwinter. And an awesome game it was too.

I share your love of Ultima VII, though, Nightmare. It was my favourite game for a long time - in fact, until Baldur's Gate turned up. :)

Crazee - yeah, I have Age of Mythology sat there still in its shrinkwrap. It's a good game, I believe, but I'm rather hooked on IE mods at the moment. :rolleyes:

#20 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:10 AM

Unfortunately I don't remember, Mario, Kirby, Kaboom are certainly a few near the beginning.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan