Photo

Srilorin NPC for BG2

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:24 AM

Does a man behave differently when in love with a man than he would if he were in love with a woman? My guess would be that he does not. He'd behave like a man in love, and that's that.

I suppose that would depend on what views the people involved (the PC and the NPC) as well as the people around them (the general population and other NPCs) have on homosexuality. Being straight myself I'm not sure how much this affect gay romance in the real world but I would imagine that people's homophobia and general prejudice towards gay people would play a role, especially in the initial stages.

Since Athkatla is lacking in the gaybar department and there isn't a "Detect: Sexuality" spell (although one has to wonder why there isn't one yet...) I would imagine the first stage of the romance being realizing that both the PC and the NPC are gay (or bi) before getting into flirting. Unless, of course, Faerūn is such an open-minded place (women can become warriors and clerics after all) that no one would even think about hiding the fact that they're into same sex relations.

Like I said, this is purely speculation on my part and I'm sure that someone who's gay and/or an expert on Faerūnian sexuality could offer a better answer.

And yes, I do like to ponder upon trivial questions. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lykainon, 26 November 2008 - 07:25 AM.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#42 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:58 AM

In 'my' Realms, there's no stigma attached to homosexual relationships, only to any sexual behaviour that involves exploiting children, and any sexual behaviour that involves force or coercion (please note: WILLINGLY undergoing pain or bondage doesn't count).

Know Sexual Preference (Divination) Reversible

Level: Cantrip
Range: 10 yards
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 1 creature per 2 rounds
Save: Neg.

This cantrip enables the wizard to read the aura of a creature. The caster must remain stationary and concentrate on the subject for two full rounds. A creature is allowed a save vs. spell and, if successful, the caster learns nothing about the particular creature from the casting. Certain magical devices negate this cantrip.

The reverse, undetectable sexual alignment, conceals the sexual preference of a creature for 24 hours - even from a know sexual preference cantrip.

#43 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:09 AM

There is a gaydar spell? I stand corrected.

I should really stop making assumptions regarding any area where nerds are somehow involved. Mosts topics and ideas, no matter how trivial, tend to get covered pretty fast.
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

#44 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

Well, it is third-party material.

Still, if you have divination, you might as well use it. I'm sure there are many different versions of this spell.

#45 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:34 AM

I suspected that. Is it that... eh, something-about-erotic book? I remember reading a third party book regarding the naughtier aspects of D&D and I seem to remember they had some... alternative uses for magic. :whistling:

(This thread is going a little off topic and I don't really think I'm helping. Sorry 'bout that.)

#46 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

*shudders*

Give me a link. Now. :ermm:

Anyway, I've never seen this spell in-game or in Shadowkeeper, Infinity Explorer, etc. Where'd you copy/paste that from?

EDIT: And is it just me, or does Srilorin's name sound a bit like saying Slytherin?

Edited by Ithilian Delorio, 27 November 2008 - 01:59 AM.

#47 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:29 AM

Give me a link. Now. :ermm:

< snip >

Disclaimer: The above link is only meant to enlighten people to the nature of said book. I am, naturally, in no way encouraging people to commit the cool crime of illegal downloading. That would be naughty of me. :whistling:

[edit: removed link - Admin]

EDIT: Ah, sorry. My mistake. Anyway, here is a completely legal link instead. (Note to self: Avoid breaking rules at new forums with your eight post. Makes bad impression.)

Edited by Lykainon, 27 November 2008 - 04:13 AM.

#48 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:09 AM

Please don't link to illegal content here; it's very clearly against the rules. I've removed the link from your post. And back on topic, please--I'm sure Yuwakusha would appreciate the feedback. :)

#49 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:21 AM

Yes, of course.

Well, why a celestial elf? Why not just a normal (despised) elf? Maybe for that very reason. Yes, this has been said before, sue me.
As for her class, there are already way too many Fighters (Korgan, Anomen, Keldorn, Mazzy, And many mods) so try something original :D

#50 Yuwakusha

Yuwakusha
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

Yes, of course.

Well, why a celestial elf? Why not just a normal (despised) elf? Maybe for that very reason. Yes, this has been said before, sue me.
As for her class, there are already way too many Fighters (Korgan, Anomen, Keldorn, Mazzy, And many mods) so try something original :D

No, I don't mind at all. :)

Yes, I have and am currently working with him as a standard and ordinary elf. I looked thoroughly into celestials and their statistics. After taking a glimpse at their abilities and four level experience lag, I was just kind of like no way. Besides the more I played around with his concept, the more I liked him portrayed as a normal elf. :D

As for the fighter class dilemma, my personal view on fighter classes is that logically, how many people are born with magic in their blood like Kelsey or Tsujatha? To me anyway, fighters are one of the most versatile and common classes in Faerun simply because with practice it is the most achievable as well as believable occupation out there.

And thanks for the continued criticism guys. :D

#51 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:44 PM

While I don't mind bisexual/homosexual NPC's in the least, I strongly discourage you from implementing that feature if that's the only reason why you were considering to have it. Write what YOU want, otherwise it won't turn out well.

Let the character write himself, would be my advice. I may have already pushed this point, but I strongly recommend putting together a backstory and trying to tie every major aspect of the character concept to some clear influence from the past, either hereditary or life-experience-based (emphasize the latter).

Just offering another viewpoint on the dogma of Hanali Celanil/Sune/Sharess: love does not always mean the physical sort of love. Sunites, for one, are hardly nymphomaniacs or hedonists-love as Sune and HC define it is more esoteric than that. Certainly, sex can be a major part of it, but also the sort of simple, unquestioning, affection and loyalty that tends to emerge among longtime adventuring groups, that sense of comraderie, is itself another sort of love, one a follower of Hanali Celanil would relish and encourage.

This is probably true but there seems to be some dispute on that point (Chipmunk once implied that at least one canon source had priests of Sune wearing removable codpieces). And seems a little orthagonal to this line of discussion.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#52 darlarosa

darlarosa

A rush and a push and the land we stand on is ours!

• 384 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

THE NAME REMINDS ME OF SIRLOIN!! *sees your stares then jumps out a window*
We could argue all day about whether or not I'm a reprehensible human being...Posted Image

"Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
Ill make you a believer"

- Depeche Mode

Posted Image ------Posted Image ]------Posted Image------Posted Image----------Posted Image---------Posted Image----Posted Image------Posted Image-------Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image------Posted Image------Posted Image--------Posted Image-------------Posted Image-------------------- click my dragon if you luv meh!

#53 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:06 AM

Oh, great, now you've got Darla thinking of loins... <_<

Any further thoughts on his backstory? Looking back I see he has one but it could use some fleshing out, especially since you dropped the celestial component. O.o

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#54 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

Maybe she was adopted BY celestial elves? Parents dead, baby on doorstep, bla bla bla...

#55 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

Maybe she was adopted BY celestial elves? Parents dead, baby on doorstep, bla bla bla...

You have referred to the npc as female twice now. Isn't it a male npc?

@Yuwakusha - I like the sound of this guy. As most people have said, write with your gut. Don't try too many different paths and concepts initially if you're just starting out as it will lead to burn-out and the mod will never get completed.
IMO, the adjusted DEX is a tad too low. Of course there are items that can boost dex so I suppose that can be compensated for. Anyway, good luck. :)
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#56 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

Really? Lol, its just when I think "Celestial Elf" my mind auto-clicks to female. Probably due to Aerie.

#57 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

Pfeh. Pansy elves, do you get anything BUT female?

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#58 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

Plenty of male elves to choose from. Though whether you'd want to is an entirely different matter...

#59 Yuwakusha

Yuwakusha
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:17 PM

Gah. Since my internet has decided to go down spontaneously I shall answer them all at once.

That is quite alright love. I enjoyed the laugh since I myself hadn't noticed that at first. :D I was actually considering changing the spelling since it is supposed to be pronounced (Shree-lorin) maybe adding an h to the name? I'll have to ponder that. :P

Oh, great, now you've got Darla thinking of loins... <_<

Any further thoughts on his backstory? Looking back I see he has one but it could use some fleshing out, especially since you dropped the celestial component. O.o

Yes, as a matter of fact I have. And this time I'll try and be succinct. :D

Srilorin's mother and father met on the day of a full moon, the day of the notorious Midsummer Festival, both giving homage and prayers to Hanali Cenalil. They fell in love and soon became lovers married in union under the full moon the day they met with the blessing of Hanali Cenalil. They ultimately decided to return to his mother's place of birth, a small elven village called Aluianti, just west of the elven empire of Cormanthyr. They dwelled there for a few weeks and after learning that his wife was pregnant, they decided to have her give birth to her baby in Myth Drannor, the birthplace of his father. Unfortunately on their way there, they were ambushed by a tribe of powerful orcs. Her husband died as he bid her to escape to the city to protect their child which she soon gave birth to after establishing a home in Myth Drannor. Srilorin was in his seventh decade when his home was invaded by a powerful group of Red Wizards, led by a man named Cogliostro and a woman named Coletta. He was taken even as his mother died and made a servant for the powerful kingdom of Thay. After a while, Cogliostro saw the fighting potential within him, and sent him to the Academy of Arms within Amn to become one of the most resourceful tools and protectors of the Thayan Academy. He was soon after purchased by Tolgerias, Cowled Wizard of Amn...and the rest you'll find out later. :P

I hope that satifies people's curiosity as well as being somewhat interesting and original. :)

Na. I kind of trashed that idea long ago. I don't want to mimmick the stork. :P

You have referred to the npc as female twice now. Isn't it a male npc?

Yes, he is indeed male. His name sounds rather feminine though doesn't it? That's why I like it. :D

@Yuwakusha - I like the sound of this guy. As most people have said, write with your gut. Don't try too many different paths and concepts initially if you're just starting out as it will lead to burn-out and the mod will never get completed.
IMO, the adjusted DEX is a tad too low. Of course there are items that can boost dex so I suppose that can be compensated for. Anyway, good luck. :)

Aww thanks a bunch! :hug: I guess while creating this NPC I wanted for mine in particular to stand out, despite the fact of the commonly used fighter class and elf race etc. my gosh I hope that did not sound conceited.

Really? Lol, its just when I think "Celestial Elf" my mind auto-clicks to female. Probably due to Aerie.

I must admit I do tend to think of the clipped bird when I think of celestials too. :D

Pfeh. Pansy elves, do you get anything BUT female?

Icen

:devil:

Plenty of male elves to choose from. Though whether you'd want to is an entirely different matter...

You'll just have to wait and see... :whistling:

#60 Yuwakusha

Yuwakusha
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

And speaking of banters...

When Edwin transforms himself into Edwina... :D

Srilorin: My my Edwina, what a change you seem to have gone through.
Edwina: Hush already you oversized and wanton ape! You have no right to look at me in such a manner! (Though I must admit in this particular light the elf actually looks rather attractive?Gah! I would sooner mate with a dead ogre! Though the sheer mechanics of that idea are indeed mind-boggling.)
Srilorin: At least your legs look somewhat pleasing to the eye in that dress of yours. Why, if I could just erase the fact a scraggly, unsightly man lied beneath that faēade, I could almost?
Edwina: Finish that sentence, and you shall find a Fireball spell hurdling into your back when you least expect it. It shall even match the horrific color of that mop on your head you deem hair.
Srilorin: If I was even able to stomach the thought of bedding you perhaps I would, but at the moment the notion is looking quite unpleasant.
Edwina: I will live to make sure that you regret your snide comments elf. Now leave me be.
Srilorin: (Chuckles) As you wish, ?My Lady?.

Imoen: Did I ever tell you about <CHARNAME> and the bearskin rug? (She grins wickedly.)
Srilorin: (He chuckles and shakes his head.) I?m sure that I do not desire to, but against my better?judgment, I am listening.
Imoen: Well, you know that my sister and I grew up in Candlekeep right? Well?all we had were these old old monks and old old books.
Srilorin: You make the tale sound positively heart-wrenching.
Imoen: Hey! It was I?ll have you know, but anyway to the point, modesty was not really a virtue that was drilled into us as children?especially <CHARNAME>. She shed her clothes and ran naked around the keep, then she?
Srilorin: (He pinches his lips in an effort to keep himself from smiling but fails as he is consumed by belly shaking laughter.)
Imoen: (She grins over at your blush and at Srilorin.) But it gets even better! And then, our maid Phydlia after convincing her to give back the cape she stole from Khelben Blackstaff himself, she secretly painted her on this bearskin rug from her memory. To this day, I still can?t steal it. I would have kept it to embarrass her constantly, but sadly she got to it before me.
Srilorin: The Khelben ?Blackstaff? Arusun of Waterdeep?
Imoen: Unfortunately yes?
Srilorin (He smiles.) Why <CHARNAME>, you never told me about that?
Srilorin: (She and Srilorin laugh so hard that Imoen finally sits on the ground due to her shaking knees and teary eyes.)
Srilorin: (When they compose themselves again Imoen wiggles her eyebrows at you and then at Srilorin.) Shall we do something like this again?
Srilorin: (He still gazes at you as he addresses Imoen.) Most definitely.

Now if anyone has criticism, don't be shy now. :D

*Runs and hides*