63 replies to this topic

#1 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:43 AM

I split the topic in order for me to keep the overview

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#2 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:43 PM

No bugs? Nothing to say? Give me your feedback. Good or bad. I still think Ariena needs some work, but some feedback for that would be nice... I encourage to tell me your opinion

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.

Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly

#3 --Guthemuth--

--Guthemuth--

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:23 AM

No bugs? Nothing to say? Give me your feedback. Good or bad. I still think Ariena needs some work, but some feedback for that would be nice... I encourage to tell me your opinion

Hi Deathsangel,

I played her throught SoA and had a lot of fun and no techn. problems. She adds some fun to the game.

Great job!!
I played her in the German SoA-Version

Thanks for your great job!!

#4 -Dreamer-

-Dreamer-

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:18 AM

really? neat!!! ^-^ maybe me should try her. Im impressed!

Edited by Dreamer, 28 November 2005 - 07:18 AM.

#5 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:31 AM

Hi Deathsangel,

I played her throught SoA and had a lot of fun and no techn. problems. She adds some fun to the game.

Great job!!

German version? I made none... Who did this? I like translations, but let's keep it in one place...

#6 --Guthemuth--

--Guthemuth--

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:13 AM

Hi Deathsangel,

Great job!!

German version? I made none... Who did this? I like translations, but let's keep it in one place...

I´m using the german Version of SoA/ToB, but but your mod is still in english ;-)

#7 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:26 AM

I´m using the german Version of SoA/ToB, but but your mod is still in english ;-)

Ah, I understand. Well I'm glad you liked it

#8 yamaele

yamaele
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:11 PM

I played Ariena and Kido both , and let me tell you Ariena is AWESOME :-D
I liked her a lot , and yes Kido is a little crazy but fun loll
I had a little problem tough , when i used the Ctrl + I to see all the talk , she left and she get back in the Dock Districk , sure i get back there and she will join me again , the only problem is if im far like in the underdark i have to finish it without her and get her back when im in Akathla..:-( that is the only problem i had and she did it 4 times already...
But she is cool , tough i was hoping you will use the other pic..the one where she is all green she is better looking there..and she remind me just a little bit of Xena in the Stone age lolll and im sure there were time where poeples when there was war were thinking like her , the Though one has the best chance to stay alive ;-)
Great JOb
What's the point of rebelling against the society by becoming an asshole?

#9 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:46 AM

I played Ariena and Kido both , and let me tell you Ariena is AWESOME :-D
I liked her a lot , and yes Kido is a little crazy but fun loll
I had a little problem tough , when i used the Ctrl + I to see all the talk , she left and she get back in the Dock Districk , sure i get back there and she will join me again , the only problem is if im far like in the underdark i have to finish it without her and get her back when im in Akathla..:-( that is the only problem i had and she did it 4 times already...
But she is cool , tough i was hoping you will use the other pic..the one where she is all green she is better looking there..and she remind me just a little bit of Xena in the Stone age lolll and im sure there were time where poeples when there was war were thinking like her , the Though one has the best chance to stay alive ;-)
Great JOb

First of all thanks for such a great comment. I have two questions though. Did Ariena walk away on her own? Or did it happen always due to Ctl + I for that is just at random firing dialogues and in some Ariena goes, being the hot head she is. What I would also like to ask is, if you didn't like any of the two portraits Ariena has?

#10 yamaele

yamaele
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:03 PM

Hi , no Ariena left every time i did Ctrl+ I , and she say you send me away because of...bla bla..
And for the portrait i liked them both but i think she is better in the one where she is all green .

#11 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:37 AM

Hi , no Ariena left every time i did Ctrl+ I , and she say you send me away because of...bla bla..
And for the portrait i liked them both but i think she is better in the one where she is all green .

Well, it is logical (for me) that she would leave, because there are a few independent lines where she does that within the banter files, thus you probably hit random one of those. However, that isn't a bug. Ctrl + I falls under cheats, but thanks for the report.

The default picture which apparently you liked less is supposedly to get some work from Khayman. However it is is more BG2 style, but alternative protraits are there to be used. HERD is probably pleased with the complement and I am glad alternative portraits seem to be nice feature for people.

#12 yamaele

yamaele
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:22 PM

Well, it is logical (for me) that she would leave, because there are a few independent lines where she does that within the banter files, thus you probably hit random one of those. However, that isn't a bug. Ctrl + I falls under cheats, but thanks for the report.

The default picture which apparently you liked less is supposedly to get some work from Khayman. However it is is more BG2 style, but alternative protraits are there to be used. HERD is probably pleased with the complement and I am glad alternative portraits seem to be nice feature for people.

Haa...i forget to add this , while playing with Ariena and kido , there was a bug... it was in the graveyard district and there was a man with his freinds , dunno where they came from , but you cant do anything about them , they were in the enter of the graveyard . I tried to talk to them but nothing , so i though it must be a bug and have to do with Ariena because well...she was in a run and hiding , must be some mercenary looking for her .
What do you think ??

#13 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:55 AM

Haa...i forget to add this , while playing with Ariena and kido , there was a bug... it was in the graveyard district and there was a man with his freinds , dunno where they came from , but you cant do anything about them , they were in the enter of the graveyard . I tried to talk to them but nothing , so i though it must be a bug and have to do with Ariena because well...she was in a run and hiding , must be some mercenary looking for her .
What do you think ??

Did you have had already one mercenary band looking for her? If so then you had them all for now... Kido has no challenges yet. So it couldn't be him.

#14 Imrahil

Imrahil
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

Hey - I'm in the midst of an Ariena play-through &, while I'm not done, this was annoying enough to go ahead & point out that I get this, too. I tend to AdvanceRealTime a bit & also leave the computer sitting & paused in order to get NPC banters, & it seems like every third one is Ariena leaving for no reason. We're just sitting there, letting Real Time pass, then she says "You is stupid to send Ariena away for that." & she leaves the party.

I didn't do anything or say anything to her. She goes back to her spawn point & when I run into her, she force-talks me & acts like I kicked her out ("You sees too much blood, pantywaist?"), at which point I say "No, not yet. You better kill some more enemies for me Ariena" & she rejoins.

I also get the banter about her not believing in any gods (although, if you press her, she admits to liking Malar & Garagos) repeatedly.

I may as well give an update while I'm here on the other things I've found to this point... :)

- First, she's pretty fun & unique. I like her, in general, but with that said...

- Even a 7 Int is probably too high for the "Me is...", "Ariena no like", etc. banters. She sounds more like a 5 Int to me. 7 is just below "normal" (where 9-12 is average), but she isn't below normal, she's kind of on the dumb side (not a critique of her banters, just that her Int should be lower to reflect her banters).

- I know where you're going with the "she's proficient with *every* weapon" idea, but the fact is, a total of 21 proficiency stars is, IMO, too much (7 would be about expected for someone of her level). You could have her not be proficient with *every* weapon (say, take away 10 stars) & get the point across without it seeming so power-game-ish.

- Why does she have 20% resistance to Cold & Magical Cold, 50% Resistance to Acid, & 100% Poison resistance?

- when she asks CHARNAME is he was ever a captive, all you can talk about is Candlekeep - this seems to ignore the much more recent instance in which CHARNAME was a captive of Irenicus.

- Ariena interjects when talking to Lady Delcia Caan (Nalia's aunt), but after her interjection, the dialogue stops & you don't get the normal Lady Delcia conversation, so Lady Delcia just stays there instead of leaving like she normally does & "has nothing to say to you"

- similarly, when meeting Valygar, after you ask him to join you, Ariena says "Me no think it smart to makes big enemy...", but then Valygar doesn't join the party & just sits there & "has nothing to say to you" - I had to CTRL-Q him to get him in the party

- when first entering the Guarded Compound, Ariena starts a fight with Sion, but that Sion is un-killable - he's supposed to teleport away - if you fight him, he sits at Near Death forever - I had to briefly boot Ariena from the party right when entering so she wouldn't trigger an unwinnable fight.

- when confronting the Beastmaster in the Copper Coronet to free Hendak, if you start a fight with him, Ariena says "You better starts to run, cause it no helps. Me fight many animals and me win of all of them!" (which, by the way, has one too many "of"'s at the end), then she turns hostile on the party & never goes unhostile. I had to boot her briefly again to get past this. If she's actually supposed to go hostile on the party, it's not clear why from the dialogue.

- some spelling stuff...

-- in the description of Ariena's Armor, it says "Therefor it is not uncommon..." (should be "Therefore")
-- also in the description of Ariena's Armor, it says "Though Ariena faced some of here most..." (should be "her")
-- also in the description of Ariena's Armor, it says "...even if it did not fend the blow of all together" (which should be "off altogether", or even better "off completely")
-- with Jaheira, when discussing Khalid, Jaheira says "He was a gentle and kind soul and therefor brave." (should be "therefore")
-- with Yoshimo, when discussing why he's so far from home, Yoshi says "I wondered a bit up the sword coast..." (should be "wandered" & also Sword Coast should probably be capitalized)

I'm about to head to the Underdark - I was running through all the surface quests first with various Bio-NPC's to see as much banter as possible. I'll report back if I find anything in the Underdark or in later chapters. I just found the Ariena-Randomly-Leaves-For-No-Reason thing to be very irritating already.

- Imrahil

#15 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:15 AM

Hey - I'm in the midst of an Ariena play-through &, while I'm not done, this was annoying enough to go ahead & point out that I get this, too. I tend to AdvanceRealTime a bit & also leave the computer sitting & paused in order to get NPC banters, & it seems like every third one is Ariena leaving for no reason. We're just sitting there, letting Real Time pass, then she says "You is stupid to send Ariena away for that." & she leaves the party.

I didn't do anything or say anything to her. She goes back to her spawn point & when I run into her, she force-talks me & acts like I kicked her out ("You sees too much blood, pantywaist?"), at which point I say "No, not yet. You better kill some more enemies for me Ariena" & she rejoins.

This is really strange, now that it has been repeated with someone I'll check it. I haven't got the problem myself.

I also get the banter about her not believing in any gods (although, if you press her, she admits to liking Malar & Garagos) repeatedly.

what do you mean by repeatedly? You mean she doesn't stop talking? Or if you go constantly via the same dialogue-loop? For that is quite normal

I may as well give an update while I'm here on the other things I've found to this point... :)

- First, she's pretty fun & unique. I like her, in general, but with that said...

- Even a 7 Int is probably too high for the "Me is...", "Ariena no like", etc. banters. She sounds more like a 5 Int to me. 7 is just below "normal" (where 9-12 is average), but she isn't below normal, she's kind of on the dumb side (not a critique of her banters, just that her Int should be lower to reflect her banters).

In this I used the AD&D system of Int. 10,5 is considered average. Taking look at the specifics rules int 7 already should impose a speach impediment. Also in example a mummy has int 6 and Ariena is smarter then a mummy. Int 5 would even mean that some spells wouldn't work for her, because she isn't 'sentient' enough like Rary's Telephatic Bond. Not that you can cast that in BG2, but still... Merely looking at the AD&D rules I did as would be normal. I am afraid I just disagree on it.

- I know where you're going with the "she's proficient with *every* weapon" idea, but the fact is, a total of 21 proficiency stars is, IMO, too much (7 would be about expected for someone of her level). You could have her not be proficient with *every* weapon (say, take away 10 stars) & get the point across without it seeming so power-game-ish.

I took the kit of Greyhain and I actually find it not to power-game-ish, if I understand you correct with what you mean by that. Okay, so she can handle a lot of weapons, but less damage, also you don't tend to use all of those stars, as a player mostly focuses on a few weapons for a character. It merely gives room for different developments, outside the ones that are already more or less offered.

- Why does she have 20% resistance to Cold & Magical Cold, 50% Resistance to Acid, & 100% Poison resistance?

Though not worked out in this version quite yet, she is an Aasimar. Her bloodline provides the bonuses.

- when she asks CHARNAME is he was ever a captive, all you can talk about is Candlekeep - this seems to ignore the much more recent instance in which CHARNAME was a captive of Irenicus.

Good point, though I did meant for long captivement I can see what you mean. I'll make sure there comes an extra option for this.

- Ariena interjects when talking to Lady Delcia Caan (Nalia's aunt), but after her interjection, the dialogue stops & you don't get the normal Lady Delcia conversation, so Lady Delcia just stays there instead of leaving like she normally does & "has nothing to say to you"

- similarly, when meeting Valygar, after you ask him to join you, Ariena says "Me no think it smart to makes big enemy...", but then Valygar doesn't join the party & just sits there & "has nothing to say to you" - I had to CTRL-Q him to get him in the party

- when first entering the Guarded Compound, Ariena starts a fight with Sion, but that Sion is un-killable - he's supposed to teleport away - if you fight him, he sits at Near Death forever - I had to briefly boot Ariena from the party right when entering so she wouldn't trigger an unwinnable fight.

- when confronting the Beastmaster in the Copper Coronet to free Hendak, if you start a fight with him, Ariena says "You better starts to run, cause it no helps. Me fight many animals and me win of all of them!" (which, by the way, has one too many "of"'s at the end), then she turns hostile on the party & never goes unhostile. I had to boot her briefly again to get past this. If she's actually supposed to go hostile on the party, it's not clear why from the dialogue.

Whoops, coding problems. I can fix those in no time at all. Though Sion might be a bit more difficult then no time at all... the lady does teleport away?

- some spelling stuff...

-- in the description of Ariena's Armor, it says "Therefor it is not uncommon..." (should be "Therefore")
-- also in the description of Ariena's Armor, it says "Though Ariena faced some of here most..." (should be "her")
-- also in the description of Ariena's Armor, it says "...even if it did not fend the blow of all together" (which should be "off altogether", or even better "off completely")
-- with Jaheira, when discussing Khalid, Jaheira says "He was a gentle and kind soul and therefor brave." (should be "therefore")
-- with Yoshimo, when discussing why he's so far from home, Yoshi says "I wondered a bit up the sword coast..." (should be "wandered" & also Sword Coast should probably be capitalized)

Will fix them

I'm about to head to the Underdark - I was running through all the surface quests first with various Bio-NPC's to see as much banter as possible. I'll report back if I find anything in the Underdark or in later chapters. I just found the Ariena-Randomly-Leaves-For-No-Reason thing to be very irritating already.

- Imrahil

I can understand and I have no idea why she does that. I don't have it in my game, so it is hard to test... please tell me if she merely quotes that line and leaves and a string reference might be nice, for she uses that sentence several times and I don't know from what dialogue that is triggered... Oh, as said I am very ill. I shouldn't even be replying, but I can't help it... first I need to go to bed and it will be a while for I can work on it. I just find it strange that I don't have the leaving thing and several others don't, while two people do have it... :unsure:

Edited by Deathsangel, 16 March 2006 - 05:21 AM.

#16 Imrahil

Imrahil
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

what do you mean by repeatedly? You mean she doesn't stop talking? Or if you go constantly via the same dialogue-loop? For that is quite normal

Meaning I get the same banter over & over, as if it were new. I'm guessing there's supposed to be a flag or something that says the banter has already occurred, but it's not getting set, so you see that particular one several times.

Merely looking at the AD&D rules I did as would be normal. I am afraid I just disagree on it.

Fair enough.

...Ariena-Randomly-Leaves-For-No-Reason...

I can understand and I have no idea why she does that. I don't have it in my game, so it is hard to test... please tell me if she merely quotes that line and leaves and a string reference might be nice, for she uses that sentence several times and I don't know from what dialogue that is triggered...

She says it when a normal banter should come up, when we're sitting still or walking along, just quoting that one line & then leaving, but then (if I go to The Docks) she comes towards the party, like NPC's normally would if you booted them manually, & says her line as if I'd kicked her out. Hope that's helpful - sorry I don't know the string reference, though.

- Imrahil

#17 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:40 PM

Meaning I get the same banter over & over, as if it were new. I'm guessing there's supposed to be a flag or something that says the banter has already occurred, but it's not getting set, so you see that particular one several times.

Such a aproblem should be able to be fixed in no time once again.

...Ariena-Randomly-Leaves-For-No-Reason...

I can understand and I have no idea why she does that. I don't have it in my game, so it is hard to test... please tell me if she merely quotes that line and leaves and a string reference might be nice, for she uses that sentence several times and I don't know from what dialogue that is triggered...

She says it when a normal banter should come up, when we're sitting still or walking along, just quoting that one line & then leaving, but then (if I go to The Docks) she comes towards the party, like NPC's normally would if you booted them manually, & says her line as if I'd kicked her out. Hope that's helpful - sorry I don't know the string reference, though.

- Imrahil

Really have to search for this. Perhaps I coded a line somewhere without it requiring to come out of dialog... I will be sure to look into it as soon as I find the time... It is noticable that the ones that reported it use codes to accelerate banter progression (yamaele crtl+i and you advancing the AdvanceRealTime, whereas I don't do that and have no troulbles)... might be something

May I also ask if the lady that is with Sion does teleport away? And does Sion try to do the same, but Ariena comes in too quick or is he 'waiting' on her to attack?

Edited by Deathsangel, 20 March 2006 - 11:44 PM.

#18 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:25 AM

Trying to touch her up at the moment, which makes me want to ask a few things Imrahil.

Did the guard of Delcia not become an enemy after the interjection of Ariena? It is scripted the aunt should flee and the guard should go hostile, as that is quite logical when someone claims she wants to smash you to pulp.

I looked a the gods dialogue and the global does advance, so it should not repeat... can you check what your 'nolikegods' global value is?

Valygar solved, Beastmaster solved (though grammar stayed as the mistake is way of talking of Ariena :P)

Sion is weird for it is scripted to go back to his own line... do you make Ariena attack him? She isn't scripted for it. She merely pronounces it. Or does Sion himself stay because of the threat? For then the game itself has a mistake I was unaware of.

#19 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

With the help of my debugster Diana we're nailing the problem of the walking away. Will have it fixed in a higher version I promise. It has my attention and priority! Along with creating the better challenge and getting rid of the other bugs.

#20 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

Did the guard of Delcia not become an enemy after the interjection of Ariena? It is scripted the aunt should flee and the guard should go hostile, as that is quite logical when someone claims she wants to smash you to pulp.

This didn't happen - it seemed like it just stopped in the midst of the dialogue, so nothing after that happened (the guard didn't become hostile, for example). If that's the intent, hopefully there's a way for the PC to prevent that from happening, though, like calming everyone down & preventing bloodshed, despite Ariana's threat. Some of the Bio-NPC's express distaste for Lady Delcia, which could be construed as threatening, but the PC still has the choice of whether or not to take offense or calm the party members down & not have a fight start (this is generally crucial to keeping Nalia in the party - if you turn either Delcia or the guard hostile, Nalia generally turns hostile as well).

I looked a the gods dialogue and the global does advance, so it should not repeat... can you check what your 'nolikegods' global value is?

NOLIKEGODS is set to 1, as is NOLIKEGODS3, & it continues to repeat (which, like the leaving dialogue, is only frustrating because it "wastes" a banter, meaning I have to wait until the next banter fires to see dialogue).

Sion is weird for it is scripted to go back to his own line... do you make Ariena attack him? She isn't scripted for it. She merely pronounces it. Or does Sion himself stay because of the threat? For then the game itself has a mistake I was unaware of.

The game does have a bit of an error here (I do have Tactics "Improved Guarded Compound" installed, so I'm not positive it's an "original game" error rather than a "Improved Guarded Compound" error). When you enter the Guarded Compound, Sion is red-circled, so if you have AI on, your party will attack him before he says anything, which also results in the un-killable Sion (but teleporting away lady). Normally, I just turn AI off & then no matter what you say to Sion (even "Let's try the lesson."), he & the lady teleport away. Ariana prompts a fight as if you'd attacked him, which triggers the bug in the original game (i.e. if Sion isn't allowed to teleport away, he's un-killable). I'd suggest just making Ariana's response have the same result as the PC saying "Let's try the lesson.", meaning he & the lady still teleport away but taking that particular dialogue choice away from the PC. In any case, as it stands now, you see Ariana's fight-provoking response, then the dialogue stops, then the Dimension Door animation & the lady teleports away (& Sion moves to the Dimension Door spot as if he's going to teleport away as well), but Sion remains (& attacks, meaning he has a script assigned, rather than just sitting there taking hits), just like if you attack him before he can speak in the original game. Hope that's helpful.

- Imrahil