Photo

NWN II in comparison to NWN/BGII?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Zyrica

Zyrica
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

This may be a bit off topic, but what I'd like to ask is that is NWN2 better than NWN1 or anywhere near BG2? I haven't played NWN2 but a bit from the beginning. NWN1 was really a disappointment after BG2 and I had my hopes up for NWN2. So what say you?

Z
You live in your little world and I live in mine. Both have little to do with the reality...

#2 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

It depends on what you're looking for, and what you've got installed. With the Bishop Romance and a good imagination, it's quite entertaining. Without one or the other, it's a bit of a let-down. Don't get me wrong, I loved the insult-slinging between Khelgar and Neeshka, and just about anything Sand said had me in stitches, but the romances need help. Serious help. So Domi/Ashara/Melirinda did the Bishop Romace, and I'm doing one for Casavir.

As for the actual storyline, it's on par with BG2, or a little better. If I had to award points, I'd give BG1 9/10, NWN2 8/10, BG2 7/10, and ToB 3/10.

The combat in NWN2 is pretty lame, and that's saying something. My idea of combat is surrounding the bad-guy with a lot of metal an pounding on him. Tactics? Spell use? Bah. Well, OK, I did leave Qara, Sand and Elanee to their own devices, when it came to spells, but they did just fine without me. I use no tactical or AI enhancing mods. I think I had to reload once in three run-throughs. Plus, everybody just gets back up after the last enemy is dead, with charming little "groan..." barkstrings over their heads throughout combat, by the way, so there isn't really any danger in letting somebody snuff it.

I couldn't bear to play NWN1. Maybe I'll try again sometime, but it was realy That Bad, IMO.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#3 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

It is missing 2nd AD&D rules!

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#4 --Majes--

--Majes--

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

I used to hate NWN1 as well, but then I discovered all the great mods for it, with storylines and even combat systems superior to Bioware's . . . if anyone who doesn't think they like NWN1 wants to try out some of its fan-made modules, you wont regret it.

I agree that NWN2 romances sucked - Romantic Encounters had deeper relationships and interaction! But the Bishop romance by Domi is excellent (on par with the BG2 ones), and I'm really looking forward to the Casavir expansion and the flirt packs for the other romanceables, as well as Neeshka getting her "wall scene."

In general, I think many of the comanion NPC's got shorted for content as well.

I also disliked the combat; if I have to hack through too many hordes of enemies just powerful enough to be annoying, I get bored and cheat. Yes, I admit it. :P

#5 Zyrica

Zyrica
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:13 PM

As for the actual storyline, it's on par with BG2, or a little better. If I had to award points, I'd give BG1 9/10, NWN2 8/10, BG2 7/10, and ToB 3/10.
I couldn't bear to play NWN1. Maybe I'll try again sometime, but it was realy That Bad, IMO.

Hmmm, interesting. I think that the worst part in NWN1 was running the erands for ton of a people because the lame excuse of story it had. What I liked in BG1/2 (and PST) was that the story was about saving your self, not some idiot nobles who don't appreciate your effort anyway *grumble* :angry: I guess I'm not altruistic enough to save the world. While playing NWN1 I was practically forcing my self, I just wanted to see how it ends. And that's why I'm afraid to play NWN2 too. What I did like though was NWN1:Hordes of the Underdark. It had a nice story, a good romance, hells, and it's about saving your own hide. Saving the world is just an extra bonus :)
You live in your little world and I live in mine. Both have little to do with the reality...

#6 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:25 PM

Split into a new thread. :cheers:

#7 Zyrica

Zyrica
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:54 AM

Split into a new thread. :cheers:

#8 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:44 AM

In comparison to BG2, NWN2 seriously lacks things. Especially romance. It's written really HORRIBLY, I'd say it's better without whole romance option. Thanx to Domi though, Bishop romance really lifts things up. NPC interaction is ok but lacks depth. I didn't find myself get attached to any of the NPCs like I did with BG2 NPCs. Battle is also horrible especially towards the end. Because you can rest anywhere at anytime providing enemies aren't around, they've made one of the ending battle horribly long and while you can rest, you get interrupted 99% of the time (it's better of not resting at all). Story lacked something as well. I quite disagree with brelinde's score. I'd give BG1 7/20, BG2 9/10 NWN1 4/10 and NWN2 6/10.

#9 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:09 AM

The story is probably on a par with BG2, with a few more twists.

The combat is incredibly dull, unlike BG2. The characters are all 1 dimensional sterotypes with nary a single origianl concept between them. The voice acting is mediocre to awful (Oh God, Neeshka). The loading times are horrible, and it takes up far too much harddrive space for the graphics to justify. And the camera angles are Satan's home videos.

MotB on the other hand, is awesome and is worth slugging through the awful combat for. The characters are my favourites in any game bar The Longest Journey/ Dreamfall.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#10 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

Isn't it funny how people can play the same games and get such different things out of them? I grew to be quite fond of all the OC companions except Qara, Elanee, and Zhjaeve. Qara, I cannot stand. She's nothing more than a spoiled princess screaming "Look at meeee!" evey three seconds. I just never quite managed to bond with Elanee. She's all right, I just don't really "get" her. Same with Zhjaeve, although somebody on the BioWare boards suggested imagining her along the lines of Emma Thompson's rendition of Professor Trelawney, and I think that will improve my appreciation of her tremendously. Khelgar had me at "hello." He just rocks my socks. It took me a while to warm up to Neeshka, but I did, and adore her mischievious ways and sincere friendship. It was love at first sight with Casavir, but I'm a sucker for paladins, especially when they have a stable full of quirks and petty failings. I hated and loved Bishop by turns. He repulsed me, but I couldn't seem to leave him alone. It took me a long time to learn to like Grobnar, but got there, in the end. At first, he annoyed the heck out of me, but now, I appreciate his silliness. Sand cannot open his mouth without making me laugh.

With MotB, I'm just not really wild about anyone. OK, I like Okku's grumpiness and Gann's cocky insecurity, and Safiya is all right, as far as it goes, but little between-the-action scenes don't play in my head with MotB companions like they do with the OC ones. Heck, I've written 18 chapters of a fanfic, and most of it covers the interval between meeting Casavir and setting out to save Shandra the first time. With the MotB companions, I spend all my time wondering "Why is there no Khegar?" and thinking "I miss my paladin."

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#11 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

I think as a general rule, Baldur's Gate is supremely better than NWN2. However, I found it a really enjoyable game that I played multiple times to completion. NWN I never got past the second chapter. The characters were enjoyable, and even though they were shamelessly moulded from stereostypes, I still felt like my character connected with them, cared for them, even.

To be fair, I read fanfiction, and some of the stuff out there is really wonderful - the relationships and characteristics may not be mine, but I absorb and expand upon them when I'm running my game through. It helps me to imagine, and that's a big part of playing through a game, for me.

To echo everyone else, the combat was easy. Like berelinde, I've never been good at anything like that. It's not why I play, and to be honest, I'd much rather prefer an interactive story than a proper challenge. I sailed through the game without any reloads, which for me was fine, but for a lot of others sucks. I thought the (attempt at) using the skills you invest in for dialogue was a really nice touch, and I found myself wishing BG had a similar system, where maybe more/less intelligent characters had different responses. NWN had this, also, but the way cut-scenes are done in NWN2 really helped me to enjoy that feature more.

And Zyrica, don't be confused by Lysan. He likes Baldur's Gate, but he doesn't really like the plot. :)

#12 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:43 AM

where maybe more/less intelligent characters had different responses.

BG2 has this actually. try playing th game as someone with low Int/ Wis/ Cha and then as someone with high scores.

You might like The Longest Journey, Crazee, and its sequel Dreamfall. Interactive, little to no combat, full of story and characters. Or Planescape: Torment if you've not played it already.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#13 --Zyrica--

--Zyrica--

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:11 AM

I think that what most annoyed me in NWN was that there wasn't really freedom of choosing where to go and when. That's one of the reasons that made BG2 so enjoyable. What I liked in NWN though was the character creation with all the feats and abilities and all the character classes. Though it was really annoying that while you can get all these cool feats and abilities there really isn't anything you can use them on!
I'm also so a sucker for a romance and there really isn't any good ones in NWN. I can't really remember what was the guys name you can have romance but it was the lamest romance ever! First it takes ages to court and finally when you get the guy admit that he "cares for you more then a friend" and that's it!
BG2's romance with Anomen on the contrary was very good. It had the best dialogue, although at first Anomen really drived me crazy. You get the feeling that he's one idiot noble who knows nothing about anything and thinks he's better than everyone else.
Oh well look at my rantings...
My point is that while NWN was overall enjoyable (especially with the mods) BG2 hooked me like a drug (and PST almost ruined my relationship with my boyfriend :blink: )
All I have to do now is to decide should I take my chances with NWN2... :)

Z

#14 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

NWN2 romances leave much to be desired, in the unmodified game... but throw in the Bishop Romance, and that changes everything. Not sure if you'll like Bishop if you liked Anomen, but you might like the Companion Romance Pack, when it's done. It will offer full romances with Bishop (that part is done) and Casavir, and flirts with Neeshka, Elanee, Safiya, and Gann.

berelinde's mods

#15 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

Yes, the camera couldn't be any worse. The BIGGEST downfall of NWN2 in fact. I have to say though, while many ppl enjoyed MotB, I HATED it. I could never get into it. All I remember is that I was too busy managing the "hunger" so I don't drop dead every minute or so. Because of this "hunger" management, I don't think I had quite enough space to enjoy actual story nor the romance with Gann (not that I'm very charmed by him). All through out MotB I was going "Where is Bishop? I want him back!" It was a heartbreak for me when I've seen Bishop stuck in the wall. Oh well. Sucks to be me and other Bishop fan girls.

Anyway, to the point, I don't think NWN2 is better than BG2 in any aspects. BG2 is just far more superior than NWN2 (and in my opinion, any other RPGs! It's the ultimate, the best RPG!)

@berelinde: For some strange reason, I quite liked Bishop! Which is really strange because I'm usually Pally lover. I love Anomen to bits, and I really respect Keldorn! But for some reason, I really, really dislike Casavir! I really can't stand him. Hopefully your mod will make me change my opinion of Casavir :)

@Zyrica: BG2 is like a drug for me too. After all these years, I'm still playing BG2! It's like my... 70th replay? XD I've never got into PS:T though. You might like MotB if you really enjoyed PS:T. They are quite similar games in many ways (which is why I think I disliked both games).

Edited by princesspurpleblob, 08 September 2008 - 03:58 PM.

#16 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:48 AM

Actually princess, there's a cheat to remove the hunger spirit thing, without affecting the storyline at all.

#17 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:13 PM

Hmmm, interesting. I think that the worst part in NWN1 was running the erands for ton of a people because the lame excuse of story it had. What I liked in BG1/2 (and PST) was that the story was about saving your self, not some idiot nobles who don't appreciate your effort anyway *grumble* :angry: I guess I'm not altruistic enough to save the world. While playing NWN1 I was practically forcing my self, I just wanted to see how it ends. And that's why I'm afraid to play NWN2 too. What I did like though was NWN1:Hordes of the Underdark. It had a nice story, a good romance, hells, and it's about saving your own hide. Saving the world is just an extra bonus :)

No one seemed to comment on this. So as spoiler free as I can say it, both NWN2 and MotB focus heavily on saving yourself, with the former having you help save the world as a side bonus.

I'd probably say that the storyline of MotB is pretty compelling and interesting. I could say the same about NWN2 but I haven't made it past the beginning guard quests in Neverwinter because I didn't know I was supposed to be Lawful Good*. Bah!

There are two paths for you in NWN2 really. LG and CE. Do not make a CG character. It just goes over bad.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#18 --Majes--

--Majes--

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:59 AM

Most of the NWN2-OC companions seemed pretty cliched to me (barring Bishop), but I thought they all had potential. I was really disappointed with Casavir's "romance." The ending kinda sucked, but since I knew there would be a sequel, I could deal with it.

MotB made me mad because they did away with practiacally everything from the OC (I had actually become attached to some of those stereotypical characters, dang it!). However, I ended up enjoying it and really loving Kaelyn the Dove, so for a while there, I was having fun with it. I didn't mind the spirit hunger, and liked the effect it had on my character (except for the silly alignment points). Weird, I know . . .

Then the ending (all of Act III, really) completely sucked. There wasn't a ton of roleplay, you couldn't choose to go off with Kaelyn to oppose the Wall (which I hate the concept of, I really do), and you couldn't even have a dialogue with Akachi. Total letdown.

#19 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

Nobody loves my favorite paladin... :crying:

berelinde's mods

#20 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

I absolutely loved MotB, from beginning till the end, and I especially liked that some things I simply couldn't do, wasn't allowed to do. I felt closer to the companions in MotB and they were written well in the story unlike the ragtag bunch in OC who followed my KC around for no apparent reason - really, I still don't know why they stuck around.

I didn't like the romances in OC. Casavir appealed to me more like a friend/mentor and Bishop scared the lights out of me. It was all juts one big 'NO' all around.

For me BG2 and MotB are on the same level.
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image