Photo

Challenge #41: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 JAMoczo

JAMoczo
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

...and here I suddenly realized that I can actually sum up my thoughts on Keldorn... and remain on topic at the same time! :blink:

But but but but but!

1. Viconia is actually evil. It says so on her character sheet. Let's not forget that! Keldorn's all about smiting evil! He IS a paladin, after all!

2. Keldorn has nothing against Drizzt, and will leave the party if you fight him,

3. Keldorn will try to kill Edwin too if they're on the same party too long (although Edwin launches a premature strike)

Yesss, I may be a little biased, but I love Keldorn. I think it's all because of his conversation with Yoshimo where he threatens to turn him into a pumpkin. Also, as someone who reviewed mah fanfiction commented, I tend to characterize him a little bit more, um, loose? than he is. He always seemed not very uptight to me, but maybe I'm really just that biased?

Again @ Nix (this time, the signature) I would almost agree that Jaheira is worse than Elminster, except that Jaheira actually helps you, whereas Elminster tells you all about how he could help you but just won't :angry:

Edited by JAMoczo, 17 September 2008 - 06:24 PM.

~Jen~

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

?Here, take this. It?s a few special concoctions I whipped up to help you tomorrow should Lorne decide to poison you, cheat, or simply give you several gaping chest wounds.?
- Sand, Neverwinter Nights 2

?I would grieve for Eldoth, if it were not for the sense of joy I now feel.?
- Xan, Baldur?s Gate

I can does write fanfiction?

Have Facebook? Then you should join The Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart! ... please :)

#42 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

Nice one, vilkacis!
I wouldn't mind Keldorn except that he nearly gets you killed in the Underdark twice with his stupid comments. You'd think he'd actually be wise enough to keep his mouth shut despite his burning indignation at seeing slaves and whatnot.

And nice one, Shae. My strategy for ToB revolves around "kill any succubi before they can charm Sarevok". Charmed Sarevok + Ravager + Deathbringer strike = not good...

Has anyone made a mod where you can kill Elminster before he can cast dimension door? Might be popular!

#43 Lythari

Lythari

Fabricati diem, Pvnk

• 366 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

@Nix- awesome drawing :D
@vilkacis- you made me laugh again. Keldorn in KKK hat is priceless. :lol: Frankly, I really like Keldorn, but it's his behaviour towards Viconia that pisses me off. Though, I spotted that in the game Minsc is the only good aligned NPC who wants to save Viconia from fanatics because he know that burning somebody on the stake only because of the colour of his skin is unjust. <_<
@Shae- it is brilliant. :P I like your style. You made me want to try Tsujatha mod.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

My deviantArt account / my dragon lair

#44 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:10 AM

Great drawings, everyone! :P

#45 _Nix_

_Nix_

You lookin' at me?

• 74 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:32 AM

I forget who said what but:

@ vilcakis: Sorry... I got carried away by shoes >.> LMAO KKK paladins and Eddie Izzard references ^_^

@ JAMoczo: OK, Jaheria "helps" you, but so do a lot of other people, and I could do without the smug, superior attitude. If I wanted to play D&D with my mam, I'd go play D&D with my mam.

@ Shae: I love your style! Who's the NOT attractive person in your party? :P And the Angelo mod broke for me so I restarted the game and played through chapters 1-3 a LOT recently. The dreams after that are less annoying.
Take above post with a glass of water. Do not take more than four doses in 24 hours. Store post in a cool, dry place. Always read the label.

Schrodinger's adorable polka dot bow tie almost makes up for his horrible, horrible time-dependent equation.

Minsc: What? Boo is outraged! See his fury! It's small, so look close. Trust me, it is there.

#46 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:31 AM

Ugly: When Bhaalspawn attack

XD

I like that.

Viconia is actually evil. It says so on her character sheet. Let's not forget that! Keldorn's all about smiting evil! He IS a paladin, after all!

She's arguably the least evil of the "evil" characters, though, and he has no problem working with the other evil characters. He fights Edwin after Edwin pretty much jumps on him out of the blue, but never makes a move to attack Edwin first - or Korgan, for that matter. In fact, he seems to approve of Korgan.

There are basically two ways they could have made Keldorn's behaviour acceptable:
1, if he treated all evil characters the same. As a paladin, he should flat out refuse to work with evil characters at all, period - happily going questing with them is getting close to falling already, or at least losing favour and needing to atone.
2, if his problem with Viconia was purely religious. A priestess of Shar and a paladin will obviously not get along, but he never even mentions it.

(I actually did like Keldorn, up until his "I'm going to butcher our cleric because she's black" episode.)

@vilkacis- you made me laugh again. Keldorn in KKK hat is priceless. :lol: Frankly, I really like Keldorn, but it's his behaviour towards Viconia that pisses me off. Though, I spotted that in the game Minsc is the only good aligned NPC who wants to save Viconia from fanatics because he know that burning somebody on the stake only because of the colour of his skin is unjust. <_<

Yeah, same here. Actually, I think Jaheira doesn't object either, and we all know she's really Neutral Good, not True Neutral. :P

#47 JAMoczo

JAMoczo
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:50 AM

Viconia is actually evil. It says so on her character sheet. Let's not forget that! Keldorn's all about smiting evil! He IS a paladin, after all!

She's arguably the least evil of the "evil" characters, though, and he has no problem working with the other evil characters. He fights Edwin after Edwin pretty much jumps on him out of the blue, but never makes a move to attack Edwin first - or Korgan, for that matter. In fact, he seems to approve of Korgan.

There are basically two ways they could have made Keldorn's behaviour acceptable:
1, if he treated all evil characters the same. As a paladin, he should flat out refuse to work with evil characters at all, period - happily going questing with them is getting close to falling already, or at least losing favour and needing to atone.
2, if his problem with Viconia was purely religious. A priestess of Shar and a paladin will obviously not get along, but he never even mentions it.

(I actually did like Keldorn, up until his "I'm going to butcher our cleric because she's black" episode.)

XD I swear I'm not trying to convert you to Keldorn-love, as I really am in the minority who don't think he's racist, but they DO have a conversation about Shar which is when he flatly says "Hey, you, not only are you evil, but you woship an evil deity, and if you talk to me again I'm going to kill you." Why yes, I do take them along together often. But you're right, he really should be a little more gungho about other kinds of evil too, although he'd be almost impossible to work with if he really tried to kill everyone. And let's not even get started on Anomen, who should technically be doing the same thing XD
~Jen~

I Hate Elminster!

?Here, take this. It?s a few special concoctions I whipped up to help you tomorrow should Lorne decide to poison you, cheat, or simply give you several gaping chest wounds.?

- Xan, Baldur?s Gate

Have Facebook? Then you should join The Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart! ... please :)

#48 JAMoczo

JAMoczo
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:54 AM

I wouldn't mind Keldorn except that he nearly gets you killed in the Underdark twice with his stupid comments. You'd think he'd actually be wise enough to keep his mouth shut despite his burning indignation at seeing slaves and whatnot.

:D It always makes me laugh though because the drow aren't like "Why are you letting that male speak out of line?" They're just like "That is an odd sentiment, for a drow." Because the drow always go along reaffirming their drowliness! That'd be like me telling someone that they're doing something odd for a human :D Never have I seen such a self-aware group of people!

Edited by JAMoczo, 18 September 2008 - 05:56 AM.

~Jen~

I Hate Elminster!

- Xan, Baldur?s Gate

#49 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:02 AM

XD I swear I'm not trying to convert you to Keldorn-love, as I really am in the minority who don't think he's racist, but they DO have a conversation about Shar which is when he flatly says "Hey, you, not only are you evil, but you woship an evil deity, and if you talk to me again I'm going to kill you."

You're right, I forgot that one. Still, it's not mentioned in the talks that lead up to the fight, and that talk doesn't necessarily come up at all before he threatens to kill her.

Why yes, I do take them along together often. But you're right, he really should be a little more gungho about other kinds of evil too, although he'd be almost impossible to work with if he really tried to kill everyone.

He doesn't have to kill them all - even paladins need evidence of a crime before they get to smite people. He just shouldn't be hanging out with them.

And let's not even get started on Anomen, who should technically be doing the same thing XD

Well, Anomen isn't a paladin, so he's not entirely forbidden to associate with evil people (nor does he have the ability to detect evil at will, which makes his job a little more difficult). Besides, Viconia is hot and has pointy ears, so I think his reasons for tolerating her are a little more... ungodly. IfyouknowwhatImean. :naughty:

Edited by vilkacis, 18 September 2008 - 07:05 AM.

#50 Lythari

Lythari

Fabricati diem, Pvnk

• 366 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, same here. Actually, I think Jaheira doesn't object either, and we all know she's really Neutral Good, not True Neutral. :P

Yeah, she doesn't object at the start, but in her later talks with Viconia she is no less fanatic than Keldorn, though she doesn't want to smite her. <_<
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

My deviantArt account / my dragon lair

#51 JAMoczo

JAMoczo
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:37 AM

Well, Anomen isn't a paladin, so he's not entirely forbidden to associate with evil people (nor does he have the ability to detect evil at will, which makes his job a little more difficult). Besides, Viconia is hot and has pointy ears, so I think his reasons for tolerating her are a little more... ungodly. IfyouknowwhatImean. :naughty:

:whistling: I have no idea what you mean! :rolleyes:

Technically as a member of the Order he SHOULD be ready to smite her, but it's a lot more Anomen-y for him to not. That's why I'm always so disappionted that the two of them have no conversations! Well, apparently they do if you're romancing her, but why not him? (c'mon Banterpack people!) :D
~Jen~

I Hate Elminster!

- Xan, Baldur?s Gate

#52 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:40 AM

Vilkacis, your entry is wonderful!! I almost choked as I saw the KKK hat and read Keldorn's words :D it's true!!! Swarm is wonderful too, one of the most useful spells against mages!!!

@ Shae: me wants to hug hopeless Xan... before my hate for elves takes over ;-P and ... ehm... maybe I'm stupid but I can't read the name of the character to the right... Xan, Haer D'alis, Minsc, Charname, Kivan and...??? o_O EDIT: it's Tsujatha, isn't it?? ;-)

Edited by Epantiras, 18 September 2008 - 09:43 AM.

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#53 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

Heya, wonderful entries everyone! Especially yours, Deorwyn ;)

AD1: Yes, Tolkien was the first one to say that elves are taller than humans, but not the last one. In many other worlds was this repeated, for example in the DD world of Dragonlance.

Shae, you are a genius. I've always hated the fact, that while my character may be a high level enchantress with VERY good mental scores (int&wis&cha) 90% of her spells fails, even when using the fancy 4th level I-forgot-it's-name weakening one, while all the HOSTILE characters have no problem, no whatsoever, to wreck havoc amongst my party members. Especially Illithids, but even a simple hedge wizards has a better chance of casting a successful chaos spell than I do. I guess it is my RL luck's fault - I always lose at chance games, and we are talking of rolling dice, after all...
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#54 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

Heya, wonderful entries everyone! Especially yours, Deorwyn ;)

AD1: Yes, Tolkien was the first one to say that elves are taller than humans, but not the last one. In many other worlds was this repeated, for example in the DD world of Dragonlance.

My favourite (Moredhel) elf is still Gorath from "Betrayal at Krondor". Not only is he a good head taller than the human men in the party, no, he also had a BEARD.

He was awesome.

Someday I'll have to read the books that games was based on...

- ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Edited by Jazhara7, 18 September 2008 - 11:33 AM.

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!

#55 Shae

Shae
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

Cal Jones: I have the same strategy, I've lost count of the number of times my party has been slaughtered because someone decided to be charmed.

_Nix_: Well, Minsc isn't exactly the most stunning individual I'ver ever seen XD Though he does make up for it with personality and Boo.

Epantiras: Nono you're not stupid, the line width I used was too wide, hence the writing is... fat and therefore difficult to read XB But yes that last one is Tsujatha, he reminds me of a simpson with his yellow/gold skin.

Alatariel: Oh yeah, Illithids are extremely annoying with their 'I'm sucking out your brain, you have 10 seconds to kill me' thing (guess it doesn't help that I run my fighters right up to them, but I just want to kill them as soon as possible) Because I get grumpy about party deaths I end up going through a lot of reloads in such fights.

Jazhara7: Gorath! I remember him (vaguely), or rather I remember what he looked like in the game but not much else :D I always liked him though.
I scribble and I chirp, wait no. I mean tweet (infrequently). And sometimes I tumble about as well.

#56 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

^_^ I finally finished mine!

gbu.JPG

^_^ Hope you like it!
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#57 JAMoczo

JAMoczo
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

^_^ Hope you like it!

Adoooooreable! And that is exactly why I always use SK to make Xan a regular mage :D :D :D
~Jen~

I Hate Elminster!

- Xan, Baldur?s Gate

#58 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

^_^ Hope you like it!

Adoooooreable! And that is exactly why I always use SK to make Xan a regular mage :D :D :D

I'm actually playing through IWD HOW as a Conjurer (also lacking Invocations). You don't get magic missile, but there's still a number of powerful attack spells, and never neglect the power of bringing in someone else to do it for you. ;) (Sides Burning hands is a pretty nice spell too, and not an invocation, and is level 1. And for a time Sleep (an enchantment spell :o is the best spell in the game. 8) )

Still, nice entry, Sammi.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#59 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

Aww! (explodes with giggles).

#60 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:00 PM

Ah, forget it. Hit post before I framed it sensibly, and I can't delete the post, so you're stuck with me explaining why I shouldn't be reading forums at 3am.

Edited by berelinde, 18 September 2008 - 11:02 PM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum