15 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hey all!

Have some questions relating to a project of mine; if you have a few seconds it'd be great to hear your thoughts! Doing a bit of research on setting in games, and how players feel about it/what they think about it etc.
  • What, on your opinion, is "setting?"
  • How important do you think setting is in a role-playing game, in comparison to plot and characters?
  • What are the hallmarks of a successful setting, in your opinion?
  • What is your favourite cRPG setting, and why?
  • In contrast what in your opinion is the most successful setting and why?

Cheers,
Liam

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

Should we PM you, or... ?

1) As reference, the Setting for the IE games is the Forgotten Realms, the world...

2) Somewhat, as the plot needs to be believable part of the problems of the world... as you can't have a cookie monster terrorizing AlienTM kinda monstrosities, kinda... good luck on trying to sell that! :cheers:

:whistling: 3) What the hallmark of successful setting, in your opinion? LotR. The 3 books. <_< :censored evisceration of words:
3) That it arises emotional or sentential response, but rage in not the optimum result... <_<

4) Now, to me the favorite cRPG setting is/was the Post-apocalyptic Earth in Fallout 1&2. It's funny, creepy and all those nice things one wants to explore, but would never dare in the Real LifeTM.

5) :whistling:
--------------------
PS: You do know this is going to be another Fallout 3 thread <_< ...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 18 September 2008 - 04:24 AM.

#3 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

Either or, feel free. :)

#4 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

I'd like to know what setting is, too. Because so far for me it's GUI - just GUI. It's the most important part of the game, it must be SIMPLE, and, naturally, Diablo 2 is The Leader(most successful and my favourite), 'cause Diablo's GUI is the coolest, simplest, and best.

#5 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:03 AM

It's not the GUI or the way the game is controlled, it is the imaginary location and era in which the game takes place -- like the world of Toril when it is still in the sword-and-board era but just emerging into the technological environment of electricity and steam.

• How important do you think setting is in a role-playing game, in comparison to plot and characters?
    Crucial. It doesn't just dictate what the characters can do or impose limits on the plot (no machine-guns in Faerun). It determines the mood of the game and hence the type of emotional response it evokes.

A thorough base in a larger imagined history and geography of the game's universe, which must be carried through consistently and believably in the minutiae of the game. This as just as important in a computer game as it is in fictional books or movies.

The world of post-medieval swords, monsters and magic portrayed in the good D&D games.

The post-apocalpytic future, as initiated by the likes of Duke Nukem and perpetuated by games I don't enjoy much, such as Starcraft and any number of first-person shooters.

I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#6 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:29 AM

1. What, on your opinion, is "setting?"

The game world, it's lore, and all kinds of fancy material that canon-geeks start drooling around. The setting to some extent stretches into the domain of level design/graphics, as both need to be bound tghtly to the setting to keep everything... credible looking.

2. How important do you think setting is in a role-playing game, in comparison to plot and characters?

Very important.
However that doesn't mean it can't be simple and, heck, maybe even generic; with proper focus, plot and characters can cover a bit for lack of creativity and material with the background, however it is still essential that even a simple setting is well made.
There's a certain difference between extensive but internally conflicting and absurd, and compact and fonctional.
Also, tasteful degrees of surrealism (etc.) can significantly reduce the need for minute details in a setting.

3. What are the hallmarks of a successful setting, in your opinion?

Succesful or interesting? Or what SHOULD be the hallmarks of a succesful setting? :P
Umm, Interesting would be... Something fantastic and creative, enough wonder and 'magic' to keep things interesting, and enough gritty reality to make it emotionally more engaging; something of an stylished caricature of reality.

As for what I think actually would make for the most succesful setting... Umm, something generic enough to be familiar, and neither too gritty or too polished, so it can accommodate a greater variety of minor storylines of varying flavors. D&D.

4. What is your favourite cRPG setting, and why?

The world of the Witcher is quite amazing. It's got plenty enough background stuff, and the graphical design and musics and all that environmental stuff support it all the way through.

5. In contrast what in your opinion is the most successful setting and why?

As far as anysingle specifically named setting goes, the forgotten realms prolly. Games of all sorts to that name. o-o

Edited by WeeRLegion, 18 September 2008 - 05:30 AM.

#7 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:10 AM

1. The geographic, techno-magical and cultural background against which the game is set.

2. This would vary depending on the type of setting you want to create. My two main divisions are between "sandbox" and "story", and what you're trying to do determines the significance of the setting in each case.

A Sandbox setting allows players a great deal of freedom in what they do. In the most extreme form a game such as Eve Online allows players almost total freedom to choose what to do and has no over-arching story beyond what the players do, so everything that happens in it is driven by player actions. It's more common for there to be a general setting with specific quests that characters can take or ignore depending on their players choices. Ideally players will never run out of things to do regardless of how long they play the game, though this often requires continuous addition of new material. In this case the setting is the primary driver for the game design and plot is distinctly secondary. Any plot or story is developed after the setting and is based on what the creator(s) believe can happen in it.

A Story-based setting takes a different approach. In this case the setting is developed after the plot and/or characters, and can consist of little more than the particular locations/people required for that story to be told. While they may offer an illusion of freedom, most story-based settings eventually require players to carry on with the main plot or run out of things to do.

3. What I look for is a setting that doesn't remove my suspension of disbelief by presenting something that seems so totally out of place that I stop thinking as the character and start to think as the player. This is determined by context, and something that I would consider ridiculous in one setting would be acceptable in another. I wouldn't tolerate a wizard suddenly appearing and throwing a fireball in a game meant to take a realistic approach to medieval Europe, but that doesn't mean I'd be bothered in a more fantastic setting - unless it had been established in the context of the setting that wizards had no ability to use fire magic.

4. That's in many ways hard to say for me personally. While I'd like to separate my cRPG opinions, I am influenced in a lot of cases by settings that have also appeared in PnP games, books, films, and other media. I'm fairly sure for instance that one reason I like the KotOR games so much is because of the Star Wars universe as established in the films and other material. It can also become difficult to separate the quality of the setting from the quality of the game itself, which can be significantly different as most people would feel is the case with the Neverwinter Nights. With all that said, I would have really liked to see more done with the world used in Arcanum, even if I wasn't too impressed by the game itself.

5. If we?re being strict about only cRPGs, then I don?t think there?s anything that compares to the Forgotten Realms setting. From the Gold Box games through BG series and NWN, there have been generally good and sometimes excellent RPGs produced. If we include other computer games, then there is serious competition from Aeroth with the Warcraft RTS and World of Warcraft MMO, and from the Star Wars Universe with a range of games in all categories.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#8 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:41 AM

* What, on your opinion, is "setting?"

The backdrop, the world/universe, with the physics and history that go with it.

(Interface, as far as I'm concerned, has nothing to do with setting.)

* How important do you think setting is in a role-playing game, in comparison to plot and characters?

It's extremely important. A good setting may not be able to save an otherwise horrible game, but it can certainly turn a good game into an excellent one. Of course it depends on the game, how much focus you put on the various aspects, but generally I'd rank setting, characters and plot as equally important.

* What are the hallmarks of a successful setting, in your opinion?

It's hard to say. Anything can become successful with enough brainwashing advertising. It's less about quality these days and more about people telling themselves they like something because they saw a poster in the subway telling them they should.

...I'd like to say that it should be well crafted, make sense given the rules that govern it (unless it's actually not making sense on purpose), and preferably have something that sets it apart from the rest. Failing that, just obtain the rights to use a famous brand name and slap some pictures of tits on the package.

(No, I'm not bitter. Leave me alone.)

* What is your favourite cRPG setting, and why?

I can't just pick one. <_<

I have a soft spot for the Algo solar system, from the origial Phantasy Star games, for the multiple planets and science-fantasy feel. Even if it's simplistic, the space travel aspect was fun, as was interacting with the various types of beings who inhabit the planets. Of course, part of what made it awesome was seeing how the world evolved through multiple entries in the series... which may be beyond our scope here.

I'm also quite fond of the "post-apocalyptic modern fantasy world full of demons, angels and mythological beings" setting, which the Megami Tensei series has used to great effect. (Generally more than Fallout's more realistic post-apocalyptic setting.)

The Wild Arms series had a theme with a planet in decline, much of it covered in deserts, with a kind of "fantasy old west" feel to it. Even though the series is quite generic otherwise, that world is something I keep looking back at and remembering as fun and different.

...generally, I tend to find jRPGs better at this than wRPGs. The one wRPG world that I really like is Planescape, mostly Sigil with its "melting pot of the planes" theme. That's an awesome setting.

(Actually, that's wrong, because I just remembered that I liked the pure sci-fi setting in the old gold box Buck Rogers games, too. It was fairly low-tech sci-fi, and a lot of fun.)

* In contrast what in your opinion is the most successful setting and why?

As long as we're still talking RPGs here, it's most likely the generic fantasy mish-mash, such as pretty much any D&D license. You'll never have a problem finding a game with dungeons, dragons and wizards.

#9 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

1. The functioning world. With it's rules, history, atmosphere(!), heroes, etc.

2. Important, but not as much as chars and plot. That mostly depends on what you want to create in the first place. If you need a drama you don't need any artificial world, you can pull it out onto the Earth as well. If you need a sightful adventure then by all means you must make it believable, atmospheric.

3. Successful in whose eyes? Those of millions of teen players or yours? It highly depends on your goals, I think. If the purpose is to make a bestseller and get lots of money then it's very important to know what said teen players like more and follow their wishes. Surely, the revolutionary method would work here as well, but in such a case you're the only one who can make decisions.
If you're going the indie route then again it's entirely up to designer to create a world that he likes.

4. Duh. The one I'm desinging for my indie project. Includes psionics, cyberpunk, space battleships, dimensional warps.

5. Star Wars perhaps? I deem it as the most popular one.

Retired from modding.

#10 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:20 AM

The setting is the background and location the game and story is set in. The Forgotten Realms (for Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, etc.), Planescape (Planescape: Torment. Well, duh. :P ), Deep in the Carribbean (Monkey Island rules! ^_^ )

You can also have an overall setting, if you don't have a specific named, greatly developed world (not necessary a sign that the game is bad, by the way. It just means it might not have been in existance for as long as the above, and thus the developers didn't have as much time to develop that much background information beyond that which is necessary. But that can still change.) like the above, summarising the overall nature of the world the game is set in. Examples would be "Medieval" (could be applied to many of the above in a way, if you add "Fantasy" too), "Post-apocalyptic" ("Fallout" series, for example), and other such general descriptions. Exercise caution when you use these, though.

Very important. The more background information you have, the more you can roleplay your character. Improvisation if some information might be lacking is alright, but if it has to be done too often, or to too great an extent, then it's obvious there's something wrong with the setting. Plot is important too, and should fit with the setting, as should the characters.

This can vary, though, depending on the nature of the setting.

Depends, really. It should be interesting, of course. It should have good background information beyond the game, but should not dictate *everything*, or else there would not be chance to roleplay much. It should not be too generic, and have some originality in it.

I don't like to play favourites...it makes the other settings sad. :crying:

Seriously, though. I don't have a favourite. There's some things I like about each of the ones I play, and things I don't like. If I don't like a setting at all, I don't play it. Also, depending on my mood I might prefer one setting over another at the time.

I really wouldn't be able to tell, really. :blink: Deep in the Carribbean, if all else fails. Because. :P Seriously though, I don't know.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by Jazhara7, 20 September 2008 - 06:23 AM.

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#11 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

Thanks, all! Keep 'em coming, if you have a moment! It's very interesting to read... :)

#12 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:05 AM

Setting is what custard does when you bake it.

And, hell, you know how I am with setting in games.

And custard.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#13 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

Hey all!

Have some questions relating to a project of mine; if you have a few seconds it'd be great to hear your thoughts! Doing a bit of research on setting in games, and how players feel about it/what they think about it etc.

Cheers,
Liam

1. To me "setting" is the physical world, it's history, and it's inhabitants.

2. Characters are just one aspect of the broader setting, and plot derives from characters. So, setting is of utmost importance.

3. This is a difficult one as there are so many possibilties. Originality is always good, as long as it's not done at the expense of what works. Plausibility and verisimilitude are extremely important. There is nothing wrong with high fantasy elements, but even these should have some sort of logic behind them. All worlds need natural laws that more or less make sense. Doing things just because, or being inconsistent, ruins immersion.

Generally, I think things should work the way they do in the real world, unless there is a specific reason for them not to. If you need magic, then add whatever you need to make magic work, but don't arbitrarily change the way gravity, or economics, work. People need to beable to assume certain things. Every second spent explaining how the basics of setting is different from the real world is one less second you have to flesh out more important topics.

4. I really like the world of The Witcher, Athas (AD&D 's Dark Sun Setting), AD&D Planescape, Robert E. Howard's Hyborea (fromt he original Conan stories written in the 20s and 30s). They are all gritty, harsh, and have plenty of fantasty, while still being plausible enough to suspend disbelief.

5. Star Wars, Warcraft, Diablo, Forgotten Realms are all highly popular for a wide variety of reasons. They are all accessable and have detailed lore. They aren't my favorite settings, but I'm more picky than most.

#14 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:59 AM

It's not the GUI or the way the game is controlled, it is the imaginary location and era in which the game takes place -- like the world of Toril when it is still in the sword-and-board era but just emerging into the technological environment of electricity and steam.

Crucial. It doesn't just dictate what the characters can do or impose limits on the plot (no machine-guns in Faerun). It determines the mood of the game and hence the type of emotional response it evokes.

A thorough base in a larger imagined history and geography of the game's universe, which must be carried through consistently and believably in the minutiae of the game. This as just as important in a computer game as it is in fictional books or movies.

The world of post-medieval swords, monsters and magic portrayed in the good D&D games.

The post-apocalpytic future, as initiated by the likes of Duke Nukem and perpetuated by games I don't enjoy much, such as Starcraft and any number of first-person shooters.

Wot the man said, 'coz I'm too lazy to rite it all out agin.

-Y-

#15 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:12 AM

[*]What, on your opinion, is "setting?"
It's the game world - the physical world, the politics and religion(s) and culture therein.

[*]How important do you think setting is in a role-playing game, in comparison to plot and characters?
Critical. Not only in so far as it determines what type of actions are possible, but also how immersed you become in the game experience.

[*]What are the hallmarks of a successful setting, in your opinion?
The feeling of being in a living, breathing world. Even if the world is fantastical, it should feel alive. The first time I stepped out of the apartment on Taris in KotOR and looked up at the buildings, and at the protocol droids and Sith troopers, I felt excited because I was in Star Wars. Bioware did a very good job with that game. I was also really impressed by how vivid a world Bethesda created for Morrowind (Oblivion I've not tried yet but will very soon). Planescape was another that had a very distinctive feel to it, and felt alive, despite the general weirdness and basic graphics.

[*]What is your favourite cRPG setting, and why?
I don't have one. I am as equally at home in Vault City or on Tatooine as I am charging around Faerun with a big sword. Favourite settings: the Sword Coast/Amn (BG1/2), Sigil (PS:T), Morrowind, Britannia (Ultima VII and Ultima Online), post-Apocalypse (Fallout 1/2), the Old Republic.

[*]In contrast what in your opinion is the most successful setting and why?
Probably Forgotten Realms or Star Wars. Most people associate RPGs with fantasy, if not D&D, and Forgotten Realms is the classic D&D setting. Star Wars because everyone knows and loves it. Well, almost everyone.

#16 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

I have seem some good answers all, but since you still want more. I will try and answer in my own words.

1. What, on your opinion, is "setting?"
A setting is the world in which the game takes place. The world would be the cultural (incl. politics), geographical, magical (and possibly technological) background in which the story takes place.

2. How important do you think setting is in a role-playing game, in comparison to plot and characters?
I think the plot and the setting are integrate part of one another. What I mean is that the setting and plot need each other to work. A plot about rivalling politics requires a setting, but a setting without the possibility for a nice plot is also a dead setting.
In comparison to characters I reckon the setting is more important. Without a setting characters tend to lack a certain depth they can reach with one.

3. What are the hallmarks of a successful setting, in your opinion?
The feeling of being in a world that breaths and in that way catches your imagination. I am making my own setting as some know, and I know it is good. This is told to me, but I also know it misses some things other settings have. However, how to explain that is quite hard. I reckon each setting speaks to certain type of person, but those that incorporates several themes is more interresting than a fairly focussed one (thinking of Dark Sun or Ravenloft (extremely cool to do once, but I would not want to play in it every time, so to speak).

4. What is your favourite cRPG setting, and why? + 5. In contrast what in your opinion is the most successful setting and why?

(Problem is I don't understand what the difference between the two questions is. Sorry)

That is a toss-up (excl. my own :P) between Planescape and Forgotten Realms. In the end probably Planescape wins. Both are very rich in detail, but still leave room for your own imagination. They both offer a wild variety of surroundings and beliefs.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~