First time with Kotor

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

OK, so I decided to give this a shot as a change from IE games. I intend to play as a male character, probably a soldier, probably light side, so am looking for advice on getting started. I must admit I know absolutely nothing about this game, but am anxious not to miss any good stuff.

#2 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

Oooh, you're in for a treat! :wub: Both KotOR games are quite awesome.

The prologue sequence thing is pretty good on getting you started - also, I find that the most important skills in the earliest part of the game are persuade and treat injury - and maybe one skill point in repair and/or computer skill, if you're a soldier.

Basically, let the skills of your companions compliment yours. For example, I wouldn't bother at all with Demolitions, since by the time you run into mines for the first time, you already have a party member more than capable of disarming those for you.

I don't know, do you want specifics? D: The best advice I can give you is to talk to everyone and exhaust every conversation option possible... although, um, if you're a lightsider you might not want to say mean things.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

Just don't put proficiency points to weapons for now, you'll do fine...
None of the skills are necessary as they can be given other chars to handle except persuade. Repair has few advantages somewhat later in game... but nothing great.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, focus on Persuade, but Treat Injury is important the first part of the game when you can't, y'know,
Spoiler

And what Jarno said - don't bother with any weapon profiencies or anything for your protagonist until
Spoiler
. It's no fun wasting away feats on blaster pistol when you'll be using a lightsaber for like 9/10 of the game anyway.

Edited by Choo Choo, 21 September 2008 - 01:44 AM.

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:52 PM

Choo Choo, too many spoilers... :fish:

#6 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

Treat Injury might be very potent towards the end of game, when you start finding medkits that would triple skill value. 100hp restored per use is nothing to be neglected.

Retired from modding.

#7 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

Cheers - well I picked up healing anyway through force of habit (it's one I always take in skill-based games, for obvious reasons).
As for spoilers, don't worry too much - I know a couple of things about the plot already (like who the main character really is, and what happens with Bastila), just not the details. Um, that and the PC is a *really* bad dancer. :D
Having fun so far, at any rate.

#8 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:43 AM

Ouch, fish! Ahem, sorry about that. I just sort of figured that everyone would figure that but maybe I should've been more careful.

#9 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:40 AM

I know who the main character is and what happens to Bastila, and I wish I didn't. I haven't play the game through yet.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#10 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:12 AM

Yes, there are too many spoilers all over these forums, and that was my point, to avoid to give them strait away.

#11 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:36 AM

I didn't learn it here however.

Icen

#12 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:28 AM

Cheers - well I picked up healing anyway through force of habit (it's one I always take in skill-based games, for obvious reasons).
As for spoilers, don't worry too much - I know a couple of things about the plot already (like who the main character really is, and what happens with Bastila), just not the details. Um, that and the PC is a *really* bad dancer. :D
Having fun so far, at any rate.

I believe the dancing sequence is tied to your dexterity.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#13 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:38 AM

Kellen: No go, not if that goes for KotOR2 as well. My Sentinel protagonist with 18 dex (24 or so with items) danced absolutely lousy, and so did my Scoundrel for KotOR1.

#14 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:46 AM

What's a dancing sequence? I recall one in Kotor2, but not in the 1st.

And spoilers, yeah... Hate them all. I too knew the stuff - one of gaming magazines had published an article "Villains in PC games". Needless to say, there was a hint towards the subject therein. And another ocassional hint I got from DSimpson's Kotor2 walkthrough (was checking up some general stuff). With those two combined, well, you understand what happened. Since that I sworn never to read a walkthrough (at the very least past the point I'd have reached an hour earlier) or buy a magazine again...

Retired from modding.

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:50 AM

Ahh, the dancing actually depends on what you do during the dancing(dialog choice), not on how good your abilities are.

#16 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

It's in the lower city cantina. There's a Twi'lek dancer auditioning but she needs a dance partner. If you're suitably persuasive, you can offer. Despite my guy's hilarious bad "dad dancing" routine, she got the job anyway!

#17 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

Yeah. The dancing moves themselves, whether you ruin Lyn's chances or not, are just ugly. Same goes for KotOR2.

#18 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

Don't start with higher than an 8 INT. It's a waste.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#19 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:34 AM

Not all of us are epic powergamers Klorox!

Icen

#20 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

Not all of us are epic powergamers Klorox!

Icen

Cal Jones asked for advice. I gave it.

The fact that an 8 INT and a 13 INT provide exactly the same amount of skill points for a Soldier/Guardian is pretty damn good advice IMHO.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin