I'm thinking of giving this game a try:

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:36 AM

How is it, really? Will I like it?

To answer that last question, I'm going to list the cRPG's I've played, and the order in which I liked them:

Baldur's Gate I
Baldur's Gate II
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Icewind Dale II
Icewind Dale I
BG: Throne of Bhaal

What do I need to know about this game before installing? What patches do I need? Anything else I should install?

TIA

Edited by Klorox, 11 October 2008 - 07:45 AM.

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#2 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

You'll want the PS:T Unfinished Business, Tweaks and Fixpacks available here on SHS.

If you like deep, complex and brilliant storylines, interesting settings and good characterization, you'll like this game. The graphics aren't awesome, but you forget about those because the game itself is...

Maybe I'll just say that it's the best game I've ever played. Ever.

It makes you think, it makes you gape, and I finished it with a feeling of sickly fascination and love.

However, if you dislike loads and loads of dialogue and text, you'll grow tired very very quickly.

Edited by Choo Choo, 11 October 2008 - 07:55 AM.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:00 AM

The graphics aren't awesome...

But they are, well if you could play the game in 1920x1200, ah but you can(with the Widescreen mod) but the interface won't be the best then, so you'll have to play with 1280x800... which is way better than 640x480.

Still not confused? Neht dear siht.
Yes, I should give the game another try, too...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 11 October 2008 - 08:01 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:02 AM

No, Jarno, in my opinion the graphics of PS:T aren't good no matter the resolution I play in. They're not bad, either, they're just nothing special. I love the game for other reasons.

#5 Jenne

Jenne

Assault of The Mighty Feet is coming, beware!

• 85 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

The beauty / ugliness of the graphics is a matter of opinion. I love them even in the old, crappy resolution - they're soo different from graphics in any other game and when I was playing PS:T for the first time they sometimes left me completely stunned. Play it yourself, Klorox, and make your own opinion :)

Elminster this, Elminster that. Give me 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse.

My personal blog - in Czech. You've been warned.
My DA account, although it isn't tended too much.

Posted Image

#6 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:24 AM

You'll want the PS:T Unfinished Business, Tweaks and Fixpacks available here on SHS.

Is that all I'll need? Where exactly can I find them?
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

Where exactly can I find them?

available here on SHS.

Here. :P

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

The graphics aren't awesome, but you forget about those because the game itself is...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I'm perplexed with that statement. Just for the sake of curiosity, what game does have good graphics for you?

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#9 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

Oblivion.

I'm spoiled. :P

But for 2D games, I actually consider the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games to have better graphics. I don't know why, it's just the impression I get when playing the game. There's something which irks me, can't put my finger on what. But as I said, they're not bad either, and definitely don't keep me from loving the game.

Klorox: There aren't many mods available for PS:T, so yes, that should be it. At least that I know of.

Edited by Choo Choo, 11 October 2008 - 01:47 PM.

#10 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

I think Temple of Elemental Evil has stunning 2D graphics. Actually I find it weird developers don`t focus more on 2D, with today`s video cards, they could make photorealistic 2D games if we think about it.

I`m going to start playing PST as well soon, I tried playing a couple of times before, but I have a 19" monitor and a resolution of 640x480 is pretty awful and annoying.