Photo

TOB thief encounters.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 03:31 PM

I believe there are three items in TOB that grant immunity to backstab (a hood, the gargoyle boots and some armour), and yet so few thiefly encounters to make these items worthwhile.

I feel TOB needs a few more assassins lurking in the shadows. The thieves you do fight are in the 20th level range and armed with plus 2 weapons. Obviously a few more thieves armed with plus 3 short swords and daggers wouldn't go amiss. Perhaps a group inside or outside Watcher's Keep.

The deadliest rogue I encountered was a single skeletal assassin. Why just one?
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#2 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 11:28 PM

The main thief-based ancounter to concentrate on is the one in the Pocket Plane, the fourth Pocket Plane challange if I'm correct. There are some "Chosens of Cyric" as well, and they truly need a boost. Maybe drop in the good old Coosen-party as well ;)
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#3 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 01:44 AM

^ That was my original plan, but I've scrapped it for now. Too little time, too much effort, too little gain, and I'll probably be retiring from the BG2 modding scene once I'm done with v3.00. The IE is becoming too old, clunky and just plain annoying to work with...there are better engines and games to mod.

#4 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 04:15 AM

I'll probably be retiring from the BG2 modding scene once I'm done with v3.00.

Heh, then nothing stops You from putting this small improvement into v3.00 :lol:
Posted Image

#5 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 06:27 AM

No, that would require a new set of combat scripts as I wouldn't want to simply rehash my CoC battle and that takes a lot of time and effort. It would also mean scripting new dialogue which I'm even less keen on.

As I've already said, I don't have the time for all that, but I'll probably throw in a small reference into Cyric's dialogue which will depend on the way the player dealt with my Chosen party. BTW, that reminds me, non-violent solutions to that encounter are now in as well - Diplomacy, Insight and Intimidation are the three possibilities the player can choose from (preceding his character fulfills the necessary requirements of course) or he can simply kill the whole bunch as before. Rewards will vary though.

#6 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 07:26 AM

that would require a new set of combat scripts as I wouldn't want to simply rehash my CoC battle

No need for that. Simply change the script (and maybe the .cre files) of the summoned assassins of Cyric. Refernces to the Chosen party are well enough.
Posted Image

#7 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 08:39 AM

No, you don't understand, I originally planned to make a return of the CoC party with new abilities, items, scripts...etc. Since I'm no longer in the position to do that I'd rather not try to make some half-hearted solutions so I'll just leave it at the dialogue reference.

#8 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 12:24 PM

Actually, I understand your motives very well.
I just tried to suggest that a half-solution is still far more than nothing. And since you intended this mod to be a complete revision of BG2 thieves (both in SoA and ToB) it would come naturally to do something with that lame group of assassins.
Posted Image

#9 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 12:39 PM

I did...but that was a long time ago.

Right now I just want to v3 because I own that much to the players. After that, (and the few obligatory bugfix revisions) I'm going into a well deserved retirement. B)

#10 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 01:54 PM

Well then, the issue is closed ;) :D
You did a great job already, and your work is appreciated in every means.
Posted Image