A Sarevok romance

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#1 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

It's high time the rodeo came to town!

• 160 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

DDV over at PPG pointed me in this direction and suggested I pose my idea here.

I freely admit I do dialog and I'm working in learning WeiDU. I have a vague idea how it goes, but I'm working through it, guessing as I go.

And I also freely admit I'm a Sarevok fangirl through and through. I haven't finished the first game because the copy I have won't let me save or load, so I can't finish it.

I'm hoping I can get someone's help on a romance mod for Sarevok. I have a talent for writing romances and I have this slight obssession with him so it should be easy for me to work on it.

It'd be about the length of TOB with a something about your reaction to finding him in hell. I'm a fanfiction writer, so I'm good at dialog. If anyone is interested, has suggestions, links to help me with WeiDU or want to smack me upside the head and tell me to stay in Sarevok's character, I'm open to it. Just let me put on a helmet for the last one.
That gave Jarlaxle pause. "Because I love you as a brother, I pray that you will one day fathom the truth of it all, my friend."

"They're dragons," Entreri muttered. "And I know how Drow love their brothers."

-Road of the Patriarch

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:02 PM

I dunno, you'd have to make ToB not suck first. <_<

Seriously though, take a look at http://www.katbella.net/npcguide.htm, it's a good beginner's guide to coding NPCs. Also check the tutorials here at SHS.

If you're hoping to recruit help, you should post some sample dialogue, and perhaps an outline of what you intend to do. You're more likely to find someone if you can show off some quality work of your own. Since most coders tend to be busy with their own projects, though, the best thing you can do is learn to code dialogue in weidu - it's not very difficult. Feel free to use the help forum if you get stuck on something specific.

#3 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:20 AM

I definitely suggest posting some dialogue--it'd be very interesting to see how you write Sarevok! I think a romance is an interesting idea, but it would be a hard sell for some people. It all depends on the writing, I suppose!

Really, the sort of thing you're proposing isn't terribly difficult; the kind folks here on the forums are happy to answer any queries you have regarding WeiDU or mod creation, and once you have the basics, it's not hard to put a romance together. It's more the concept of coding which is difficult. ;)

#4 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

I definitely suggest posting some dialogue--it'd be very interesting to see how you write Sarevok! I think a romance is an interesting idea, but it would be a hard sell for some people. It all depends on the writing, I suppose!

Really, the sort of thing you're proposing isn't terribly difficult; the kind folks here on the forums are happy to answer any queries you have regarding WeiDU or mod creation, and once you have the basics, it's not hard to put a romance together. It's more the concept of coding which is difficult. ;)

This is kind of long, but it's because I put spaces between them out of habit. I was trying for three different paths and I hope it looks better than I think it does.

(After the Gorion Wraith, Before Alignment Change)

Sarevok Conversation Starter: You're thinking of the Wraith's words, aren't you?

PC Reply1: I cannot help it. His words were true. I am nothing but murder and death.
PC Reply2: His words were true and I cannot help but wonder if I am truly responsible for all the death around me.
PC Reply3: What? No. I was thinking of how best to kill our next opponent.

Sarevok PC Reply1: Is that truly such a bad thing? You have power and I have seen the wealth of gems you keep.
Sarevok PC Reply2: Must you always be so wishy-washy? Gods, if you're always like this, how did you ever defeat me?
Sarevok PC Reply3: Let us find out what there is to know in the Bhaalist temple and go from there.

PC Sarevok Reply1: Those gems are for my life after I turn down our Father's power and throne. Power is something I have no wish for.
PC Sarevok Reply2: *rising to your feet* If I truly am so 'wishy-washy', how did I defeat you in Baldur's Gate? I know, perhaps you were so distracted with Tamoko's death at your hands that you were not properly paying attention. *starts to storm away*
PC Sarevok Reply3: Agreed. END

Sarevok PC Reply1: *curious* What do you intend to do with them?
Sarevok PC Reply2: *snarling, grabs your arm painfully* You have no right to speak her name, fool. Do it again and it shall be the last thing you ever say.

PC Sarevok Reply1: Open a Tavern between Baldur's Gate and the Friendly Arm Inn. I won't ever let what happened to me, happen to anyone else agan.
PC Sarevok Reply2: *Your eyes flash bright gold and you feel the Slayer stir* I suggest you let me go, unless you wish to return to the Abyss....In pieces.

Sarevok PC Reply1: Understandable. Have you thought of a name?
Sarevok PC Reply2: *His eyes narrow as yours glow. You can't quite tell what he's thinking, but from the look on his face, it doesn't look to bode well, Slayer or not.* You wouldn't do it. You've grown too dependant on me.

PC Sarevok Reply1: 'The Long Road Home'. It certainly fits.
PC Sarevok Reply2: *His grip is becoming steadily more painful and as the pain grows the Slayer gets stronger. Your face twists as you struggle not to give into the Slayer and not to show he's actually hurting you* Bu!!shit. Believe me, Sarevok. It's better if you walk away. Now.

Sarevok PC Reply1: It does. END
Sarevok PC Reply2: *A look of understanding crosses his face and he releases your arm. You stumble back, rubbing absently at the marks his fingers have left above your elbow. For a moment he looks genuinely concerned, then shakes his head and starts to walk away, before he stops to call over his shoulder,* I meant for no harm to come to you. I'm sorry. *He walks away* END

The 'END' at the, er, finishing of the sentences are things I just learned about, so that's a step in the right direction. He's hard to write and a hard to stay in character.

So whadya think?

EDIT: Sorry, about the BS thing. I posted it before I caught that.

Edited by HighTimeRodeo, 21 October 2008 - 03:35 PM.

That gave Jarlaxle pause. "Because I love you as a brother, I pray that you will one day fathom the truth of it all, my friend."

-Road of the Patriarch

#5 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

Does sound good. Too bad I'm a guy :)

However... PC has several replies at the first node only, anywhere else it's only one single thing to say. You probably know it well by yourself, but just in case - it's usually better to have multiple replies for every node. Of course, that's not a must, but it allows for better ropleplay possibilities.

Retired from modding.

#6 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:17 AM

Exactly - it's a good dialogue, but to begin with, I wouldn't use as much action text as you do. Neither would I assume that a non-ascending PC wants a tavern - for example, my neutral good protagonist would be way more inclined to keep travelling and helping wherever she can until she died some way or another. Like GeN1e said, there are more than two types of protagonists, there's not just evil and good and those are clearly cut.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#7 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:46 AM

I wouldn't use as much action text as you do.

QFT. Description text is very hard to pull that off without it looking like HAY I AM MOD MATERIAL PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEEEE. Don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Does sound good. Too bad I'm a guy

That's where this little thing called "role playing" comes in :P

(It's OK, nobody else has to know about it.)

However... PC has several replies at the first node only, anywhere else it's only one single thing to say. You probably know it well by yourself, but just in case - it's usually better to have multiple replies for every node. Of course, that's not a must, but it allows for better ropleplay possibilities.

Personally, I would say this absolutely IS a must.

If you're not going to give the PC at least three options when it's their turn to talk, you should be writing fanfic, not making a mod.

#8 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:44 AM

See? This is why I asked for help!

As for writing a fanfic.......You're right. That's what I normally write, so forgive me if my habits tend to interfere. This isn't really the best job I've done writing. I have other banters written that have nothing to do with the Romance Mod and I'm kind of hesitant to really start on it until I can get WeiDU argued with.

Multiple replies? Hmm, I can honestly say I've never really played as anything other than Chaotic Good. I'm too soft hearted for Evil :P and neutral never appealed to me, but I'll suck it up and give it a shot. But I have to ask, is Sarevok at least in character? For the ones not being the Tavern line, that was just silly. :rolleyes:

-Road of the Patriarch

#9 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

But I have to ask, is Sarevok at least in character?

From my perspective - more than in.

That's where this little thing called "role playing" comes in

Help yourself ;)
I don't really feel comfortable roleplaying a girl, only myself. Bad RPer I'm apparently...

Retired from modding.

#10 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

I second (third?) the thing about giving the PC loads of options. I'd say three at the very least.

Also, give the PC character. The PC responses you have now are good, but I'm not seeing any that would appeal to my zanier <CHARNAMES.> No jokey replies, come-ons, uber-defensive ones or really snarky ones. The thing I dislike most about the original game is the bland dialogue forced on the PC - mod content needn't be the same.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#11 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

The thing about dialogue, is that not every response gets its own dialogue. Sure it would be nice, but far too much work when you get into larger mods, so start recycling blocks of dialogue! It is just that feel to a dialogue when you can really express your own feelings. In KY I have done this several times, see if you can spot them :P

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#12 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:26 PM

I would make Sarevok a little more darkly humorous--and as Choo Choo and vilkacis of said, the less action text, the better. Good dialogue has no need of action text. And you definitely need more than 1 PC response; I go with a rule of 3 or more, but try to stick between 3 and 4 so the dialogue doesn't get unwieldy.

And like Icendoan has said, you don't have to take the dialogue in a thousand different directions--if there's a point you want to make, you can easily bring the dialogue "back" to the same node.

#13 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:22 AM

Hmm.

Would anyone be interested in helping me with the dialog? I'm not exactly at my dialog best at the moment.

-Road of the Patriarch

#14 DDV

DDV
  • Modder
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

what kind of help would you need? do you want your work checked and edited, or do you want people do actually write entire dialogs for you?

#15 --HighTimeRodeo--

--HighTimeRodeo--

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

Checked and edited would be great. And if someone wanted to add dialogs of their own, I'd be ecstatic. A lot of my dialog is linear, someone says something and only answers them one way. I have yet to master the way of more options than just 'I'm a little teapot short and stout' kind of thing.

By the by, has anyone put the belt of feminity/masculinity on Sarevok in TOB? He's makes an ugly woman. ;D

#16 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

A Sarevok romance? :blink:

#17 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:38 PM

Mind flayers are definitely more feasible, yes.

#18 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:27 AM

Well spoken, sir. Besides, Esiriak isn't romancable.

Well, personally I wouldn't romance Sarevok, as he seems to be, well, the closest thing to pure damn evil that can join your party. Someone like him isn't capable of love, in my opinion.

#19 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:48 AM

Tentacles? :rolleyes:
Ahem...

Someone like him isn't capable of love, in my opinion.

What of Tamoko then?

Retired from modding.

#20 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:10 AM

Lol.

I'm not saying it'd be an easy romance. You'd have to work at it and it'd be totally contingent on his alignment change, but I think it's possible. Seriously, look at the conversation he has with Imoen if she gives him a piece of her soul. And how he was teasing Jan?

'Sides, like the website TV Tropes says, Evil is Sexy. ;)

-Road of the Patriarch