World Map

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:56 AM

Here's a little screen shot of the map Amn region that is, with all active icons to date. Been making sure all areas world great and alas, they do.
As for the workings of the map, I aint sure but here's what I'm using. I want a bg1 style map to be used here. If you want to get somewhere, you have to travel from area to area in a stepping stone style. Unlike bg though, I don't want all area moving to be done via the world map. Wilderness or stepping stone areas if you like will be accessed simply like going in to a building. I only plan on making large area jumps from one main civilized area to another. Therefore, the first time you can even do this will be when you finally get to the friendly arm inn. When here, you can choose to travel to the only other civilized area of note which is Candlekeep. These areas are the only ones that are named on the world map.
My reason for doing this is because it forces you to walk back through areas that you think you have totally explored etc and these areas may have random replay ability that you would never ever bump in to again if you never re travelled them. That may be from a simple attack on your party that may give a rare, strong weapon (still pretty weak though) or it could be a perfect way to set up quests made later on. It all adds to the role-play factor I think.
Thoughts???

Baldr010.jpg

Quality over quantity baby

BG - A Tale Retold

Facebook, Richard Haines, westmidlands, england

#2 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

For a second there I thought the Candlekeep Icon was depicting one of the aliens from "Space Invaders".

Great as always, Big Poppa. I can't wait to see this mod. Please don't tell me it will only be for BGT or something, though. Tell me it will also be for Tutu. :o

- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#3 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

those are icons from iwd2 actually. They are a bit naf but they work okay for now

BG - A Tale Retold

#4 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

The Worldmap is meant for large area jumps whereas connecting two areas is for continuation from one geographic area to another. The smallest timeslice on the Worldmap is 4 hours. The largest is 24 (though you can enter larger numbers, they don't seem to work).

So if the area where Gorion died is considered "next" to Candlekeep, then using a travel region on the two maps to connect them is a good idea. HighHedge, Beregost, South Beregost, and the Lathander Temple maps could all be considered "next" to each other because you can see the slight map overlays of roads between them. So this may be a good connection.

One issue however is that going from HighHedge to Lathander's Temple can be done in one area load right now. But if you do it with travel regions, the player must cross over Beregost to get from one map to another. I am not sure how many players are going to like that idea.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#5 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:08 AM

If you want to get somewhere, you have to travel from area to area in a stepping stone style.

That's great!! It's something I really miss in the other infinity engine games

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#6 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:06 AM

Though I understand the idea of the stepping stone, some people might be annoyed as that really slows game speed down. I have had PC's travelling up and down the coast. I like planning, but that would mean you would plan on the most efficient way to get a certain item for a certain quest in an area 5 stepping stones away... I don't know how many are going to enjoy that. I know I will love it at first and than will get frustrated after clearing a certain area to go through it for the n-th time.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#7 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:34 AM

Well my current train of thought is not to ever accress the world map, but to use it simply to see which direction you are going. Someone tells you that a quest is available near a certain landmark then it won't simply appear as it does in bg2 etc. You have to look for that landmark and then go about initially getting there in a stepping stone fashion.
When it comes to large jumps. I am thinking about only jumping from civilized location to civilized location. This means that you won't have to go through 10 areas but you may have to go through a few since the nearest civilized location may not be right next where you want to go. This kind of travelling would be accessed via travel horses or donkeys at stables in a civilized location. It wouldn't cost and they can only take you where you have already been. I think if you have the right to go ANYWHERE via large jumps. You would never reuse stepping stone areas again and therefore never ever have a chance of getting any of their replay benefits. even if you did retravel an area, you may not get any thing out of it but there would always be some chance.

And I went about changing the icons too. The map has a key at the bottom left. You can't see it on this screen as the map is about 10 to 15 times bigger than you see

Baldr011.jpg
Baldr012.jpg

Edited by Big Poppa, 07 November 2008 - 03:36 AM.

BG - A Tale Retold

#8 Valiant

Valiant
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

This topic is very old, but I had to try - is there any chance to get the worldmap background that Big Poppa posted here? It is his own work or not? If not, is there some download location?? Thanks...
Tower Of Deception creator

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:59 AM

It is probably his own work but he's been gone a while. You might want to check with leahnkain who may have some of his work. It would be unfortunate if his work got lost - his Candlekeep revision is superb (but unfinished, sadly).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#10 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:37 AM

Sorry I haven't really been active due to the situation here in Japan. I do not have the world map, on Big Poppa would have a copy and he has pretty much disappeared for now. It really is a shame, he has a lot of great stuff which many people would love to use.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#11 RavenSW

RavenSW
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

It seemed my understanding that he had placed all his files online, I assume in the locked BG A Tale Retold forum. At least thats the way it sounded in this post here

He also has listed on his profile he was at least on facebook so i assume anyone who had friended him there might be able to inquire about it there.  I have facebook, but no idea who he might be
Creator~MOD in progress Raven NPC/Quest Mod

Contributor~MOD in progress Valiant's City MOD