Comments on Progress Report

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:15 AM

It's been silent for a while now, over here. How are things coming along with this? I've really been looking forward to this mod.

Good luck, and happy modding. :)

#2 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

I apologise, as there is not much progress ^^;; RL has been squeezing me by the neck, and honestly it doesn't look like I'll be doing much, if any, BG2 modding anytime soon.

Right now am in a trip in China, lol. so no access to my BG2 files on my other computer...

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#3 -Alquanis-

-Alquanis-

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

Umm...Any progress? :)

#4 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

Afraid not. I'm not even sure if there is anyone who wants this mod completed.
I am also wondering if I should get back to Modding properly, due to very busy real life.
Current plans include wrapping up BTL, Elvan's Intrigues and that's it.

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...

#5 -Alquanis-

-Alquanis-

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

That's a pity. :( I know plenty of people who want's this mod completed, but, ah, they all have( including me) problems with internet, so they can't offer you all their encouragement.
But, if, by some chance, you'll decide to continue with this mod, know that we'll be awiting eagerly.
Good luck with your projects :)

#6 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

I would also love to see this mod completed! I think it would be the best total convertion mod ever and your idea was a great one. I know it is a HUGE project which needs much work, but I still wish you'll decide to continue with this mod. ^_^

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 27 January 2009 - 04:09 PM.

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#7 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

Funny how all this info comes in after you decide to stop it lol.
Anyway, if I get my 2nd wind from doing Elvans Intrigues and rewriting BTL, I'll be sure to continue writing for Silmarillion :)

#8 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Good luck with your current work Zyraen! I hope you'll continue Silmarillion whenever you find time. Well, if the work seems too much, you could always ask for help. I'm sure that many would be interested here in SHS to help you on any matter, from modders and staff to members and artists. At least I hope for it... :D

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 28 January 2009 - 03:00 PM.

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#9 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

I would ask for help but even my first call wasn't very well met.
Still if anyone is interested to help, my Inbox is always open.

Well if nothing else, this thread caused me to open my workroom and look over all the delectable personalities I had lined up in this mod lol.
It should prove interesting if its completed :) I know I have quite a few banters and stuff lying around somewhere...
Yep yep hee

#10 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

i admit i never installed it so far but once a full version of this is available, i definitely would.

#11 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

Just so you guys know, I have got back to work on this project a few days ago, but I don't see the point posting a Progress Report until Progress has been made. Those in the Workroom would get to know about it sooner :)

I'm in the process of yet another Engine Tweaking / Refining, though it is almost an overhaul.
- for TROOP CREs I'm about 70% done, having finished all the Elven Houses, Humans, Dwarves, and also Orcs.
- completed 12 SPLs for scaling up and down the respective levels
- after being done with TROOPS I will move on to Commanders. It will be a weighing between efficiency and space effectiveness though.
I estimate the Engine should be working by next Weekend or so (ie 12 April 09) though if work does not get in the way, it might be far sooner.

Meantime, have completed dialogue for one of the Vendors in the game, his name is Olorin. If that doesn't ring a bell with you guys, he would in a few thousand years after the events of the Silmarillion, travel to Middle-Earth in the form of an old man with his staff, a grey cloak and wide-brimmed hat, smoking pipe and making fireworks. Yep, none other than Gandalf the Grey... :) His dialogue is very different from Gandalf's naturally, in the mod Olorin is not Gandalf... yet. (and Glamdring is still with Turgon...)

Edited by Zyraen, 03 April 2009 - 05:49 PM.

#12 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

Completed all TROOP CREs (non-commanders). They get going pretty quickly, about 1 second to start fighting :)
So that's nice, a huge improvement over a 10 second gap or so, which forces me to make them invisible and invulnerable when they spawn.
None of that problem anymore, it was pretty cool, at least in my books...

Edited by Zyraen, 04 April 2009 - 07:19 PM.

#13 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

completed 2 more Vendor Dialogues, very detailed ones, though one is more for a lil Comic Relief.
one of them is Curumo, later ages to be known as Saruman the White.
the other is Nerdanel, wife of Feanor.

#14 rshall89

rshall89
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hello, I'm new to these forums and I recently just re-installed BG2 to my computer to play my favorite old game :). Well I started looking up to see if they're were any new mods to make it more interactive and well, better. Which I happen to stumble across this forum, Silmarillion RPG is probably one of the best ideas I've ever heard of and I truly appreciate the time you're putting into this mod and I can't wait for it to be finished. I doubt I could help, unless you need any ideas about the First Age era because I don't know anything about modding.
Riley.

#15 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

I have been away for a long time, and in fact was not planning to return to this project in view of its large scope and my terrible schedule. Work has been hectic and I'll probably be flying off again by end of this month.

That being said, I have been persuaded to reduce the scope of this project, and try and input more RPG elements into it (something I've been wanting for a long time), and also to release it part-by-part and see how the response is.

I have to admit that I have not managed to successfully think of a middle-point to implement this, but well... just know I'm back and thinking how to run with what I have.

Perhaps for those who wonder... these are the done parts.

NPCs / Storyline
- introduction by Elwing (requires editing / shortening)
- vendor dialogues by Olorin, Curumo, Nerdanel
- dialogue for Beleg, Illuvi (in part), Finrod (in part), Maric (in part)
- original artwork for Khorin, Finrod (pencil sketch)
- fixed portraits for Illuvi, Kyra, Maric, Myravin, Turin

Engine wise
- Level-tier Spawning
- AI for fighters, thieves, rangers
- Races / Class relationship for following races - Humans, Elves, Orcs, Dwarves
- "Monster" types - Trolls, Werewolves, Balrogs
- ITMs for morale, regeneration, etc
- squad spawning system - UNDER REVISION

Items / Equipment / Gold
- I will need to relook at the whole system / concept to cut down the HUGE workload generated in its current form
- I will probably test and see if I can remove ALL drops from the map. This reduces clutter, and scripts to handle items that might otherwise be used abusively. If this works, Gold will probably be awarded in line with bonus XP

Edited by Zyraen, 04 July 2009 - 09:44 AM.

#16 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

Yes, I'm still alive... plodding on...

First and foremost - I cannot guarantee this project will be done, but I will do my best to do as much as I can. I have come to realise this project has been stymied for so long mainly due to one reason - my laziness in requiring others to help me. That will no longer be the case, except maybe for art I will take over all the writing etc henceforth. Yet Real Life comes first. I am currently on an indefinite business trip to India, but I will do my best to see what can be done.

======================

Focus NPCs will be the Haven Commanders - Illuvi, Maric, Kyra and Myravin.
Other ones that will first be attended to are Beleg and Finrod, since writing for them is done to some degree.
Emaeva will likely be a silent NPC (2nd release)
I will only have 3 banters per NPC initially (except Emaeva).
All NPCs will be leveled up to roughly match the PC's XP.

Complete Starting Intro
1) In a Meeting Hall, Elwing talks and then leaves you to gather your party members - likely all 4 of the NPCs present.
2) The party will be given gold in accordance in accordance to the PC's XP.
3) Elwing "teleports" the party to the Halls of the Dead
4) Party will get a few randomised gems in accordance to the PC's XP

First release will likely contain only one or two draft maps that will be a remake of the Sylmar Battlefield.
Mandos will say its for "testing your teamwork" some crappy in game excuse.
Beleg & Finrod will be available in the Halls of the Dead area, without having to clear their scenario to get them.
Items will be live with Diamond upgrades. They may not have special upgrades (those associated with mixes of 2 gems)

2nd release will probably have the following 2 maps.
First map to work on is Turin's Adventures (where you get Beleg), followed by Glaurung's Emergence (where you get Emaeva).
When 2nd release goes live, Beleg will be removed from the Halls of the Dead.
Items should have special upgrades in this release.

AI-wise, I do not think I will track all of enemy spellcaster available spellslots based on their level any longer. It is just not meaningful use of time, and they are the EXTREME minority of units that the party will face. More than likely they will be on the party's side.
Mages will have X spells of levels 6-8, X spells of level 9, period.
Clerics will have X spells of levels 5-6, X spells of level 7, period.
Spells outside of this range will be available on unlimited basis, but with timer tracking AI so that they are not cast repeatedly back-to-back (except for combos, of course...)
Being higher level does not mean that they cast more spells, they just have access to more powerful high-level spells.
The exception will only apply to spellcasters above level 24 ; they will only track spells of the highest level, and they get more casts.
Level 31+ enemy spellcasters will have reduced casting speed.

Edited by Zyraen, 25 July 2009 - 08:42 AM.

#17 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

Is this still alive?

#18 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

Is this still alive?

Unlikely. My understanding, from conversations with the author, is that he has no time in his life for modding. I'd dearly love to see someone else adopt this mod and finish it, in accordance with the original author's vision and goal. Been itching to playtest it for the longest time!

Best wishes,
Eric

Working and playing under Windows 7 Ultimate on a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Still writing Erysseril NPC mod...

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in active development.
A female elf wilderness warrior and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more? (Maybe, if I ever finish the mod)

#19 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:13 AM

As Eric has replied, I do not have much time in my life for modding. Even my internet is limited with my frequent travelling for business trips. One of the biggest issues for this project is really the production of maps. Without them all the AI and scripting is meaningless.

Apart from that, RL is quite hectic, like I said...