Bigger Fonts and more...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:53 AM

I've been making a new version and apart from the fact that the new UI will support a 1280x1024 resolution :) , I tried editing the fonts to make them bigger.

Working with BamWorkshopII was a bitch, but after a resizing and manually editing each letter I think I made a decent font. I edited only the english letters, punctuation symbols and numbers and left some other symbols untouched since they are not used in dialogs. Also because the rest of the UI doesn't look good with a bigger font since button descriptions do not fit in correctly I will probably make the font change viable only for the dialog box.

Here is a comparison pic :
Posted Image

The new font isn't perfectly aligned and it isn't very sharp either, but this was the best I could do with BamWorkshop's limitations. The new font is about 20-30% bigger. I think it will help people with relatively small screens that want to play PST in a high resolution.

Is there another more effective way (besides BAMWorkshop) to edit the FONTDLG.BAM file, or is there a way to change an already made font into a BAM file that could be used by PST?

Edited by ghostdog, 20 November 2008 - 05:49 AM.

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:53 AM

Great work. This is a big deal for me, I am indeed one of those people with a relatively small widescreen monitor, and the font becoming too small to read comfortably is what has kept me from using any widescreen mod up till now, really. (Well, that, and the other things your UI fixes :)

Qwinn

#3 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:51 AM

Okay. Wow. Yeah. I packaged a beta version of my mods together tonight and was finally able to really see your mod in action. It's -beautiful-, it really really is, great choices on the background art to fill in the dead spaces in various screens, awesome work. But... the font's so small as to be pretty painful to read for long stretches at a time (and this game requires that). That's nothing wrong with your mod, that's a problem with my too-small monitor and my old fart aging increasingly-useless eyesight.

But yeah, if the mod could ever allow for something like the original dialogue size (a bit smaller's not too bad, but at 1280x768 it really is too small to read for long stretches), that would make this mod absolutely must-install as far as I'm concerned.

Qwinn

#4 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:52 AM

Great work!

I was thinking, isn`t it possible to use the font BAM from another IE game? I don`t remember if any of the other games have a larger dialog font, but if there is one, would it work?

#5 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:42 AM

I was thinking, isn`t it possible to use the font BAM from another IE game? I don`t remember if any of the other games have a larger dialog font, but if there is one, would it work?

I've thought of this too, can anyone provide me with the BG1,2 or IWD1,2 font files?

#6 -Brumbek-

-Brumbek-

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

I've been making a new version and apart from the fact that the new UI will support a 1280x1024 resolution :) , I tried editing the fonts to make them bigger.

Hi ghostdog, I'm a total Planetscape newbie. I've never played the game before but I'm finally getting around to it and am delighted to see dedicated people like you are working on this! I usually want to play old games but the low-res gets to me, and I've got a 21" CRT non-widescreen so 1280x1024 makes me very happy! And the larger fonts is genius too. I've tried a few high-res patches for other games before but the font becomes so small it's a bit maddening. So I'm just saying thanks for this! I'm going to play PS:T after I finish Fallout 3, which will be pretty soon methinks.

It's an interesting dichotomy between FO3 and PS:T, FO3 has awesome graphics and fancy effects but contrived drivel for dialogue, but PS:T I hear has genius dialogue, but with your help very respectable higher-res 2D graphics. Just a thought I had.

So thanks for helping somebody like me discover an old classic!

#7 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

I'm glad I helped you discover this great game, I do envy you playing PST for the first time ;)

#8 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

I still am playing PS:T for the first time, technically. I have started 3 or four times, and I am noticing tiny little intricate details as soon as you begin, making it my all time favourite game.

I also refuse to read ANY PS:T Story thread.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#9 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:42 AM

Here's the BG2 font files. Good luck.

Qwinn

Attached Files

Edited by Qwinn, 22 November 2008 - 01:43 AM.

#10 -Atman-

-Atman-

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:04 AM

I've just installed widescreen mod for BG2 (http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen) so I can play it at 1920x1200.

the only problem is that the dialogue font is too small.

do you think you can help me with that?
how do I resize it?

#11 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:37 AM

Here's the BG2 font files. Good luck.

Thank you !

I've just installed widescreen mod for BG2 (http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen) so I can play it at 1920x1200.

the only problem is that the dialogue font is too small.

do you think you can help me with that?
how do I resize it?

I haven't finished with the fonts yet, but I'll soon release the new version of the mod.

edit: If you want to try and resize the font yourself you can do this letter by letter with BAM Workshop II. And then place the font into your override folder
here is the original PST font :

Attached Files

Edited by ghostdog, 22 November 2008 - 05:05 AM.

#12 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:05 AM

The floating text from BG was actually not that difficult to edit, I'll include it as an option for those that want an even bigger font.
It reminds me of the old lucasarts adventures font :D

Posted Image

#13 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:41 AM

Oooh, the BG2 one worked, eh? Awesome. And yeah, right now, bigger the better for me.

Does it really -need- editing? Since I'm donating this weekend for testing, can I just drop it in and give my eyes some relief right now? If it does need something else to make it work, can you tell me what that is?

EDIT: Ok, I tried just dropping it in and it doesn't seem any bigger, so oh well. If you could PM me the bigger font file so I could drop it in and have use of it for testing this weekend, I'd -really- appreciate it :)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 22 November 2008 - 07:46 AM.

#14 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

By the way...

From my experiences with the "Use Floating Text Font Globally" tweak (as well as with longer-than-english translations), you might want to make sure that however you do it, that any fonts you create doesn't make it so that a single window full of text (before you get the "Click for More" button) contains -less- text than the original font does in an unmodded game. This can cause problems.

If that is the case - I can't tell - I'd recommend solving it, if possible, by just making the dialogue pane bigger so more lines can fit in it. Dunno how feasible that is.

Qwinn

#15 -Atman-

-Atman-

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

thanks.

how do I exactly resize letters in bam workshop?

can I extract all bitmaps at once, so I could batch resize them in photoshop, then import them back?

#16 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:45 PM

Yes.

BAM Workshop you can click and drag, it is perfectly simple, and probably easier.

You also negate the lack of quality which I pointed out on your other thread for WSM.

Icen

Edited by Icendoan, 22 November 2008 - 03:46 PM.

#17 -Atman-

-Atman-

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:01 AM

Yes.

BAM Workshop you can click and drag, it is perfectly simple, and probably easier.

You also negate the lack of quality which I pointed out on your other thread for WSM.

Icen

Can you elaborate please?

I can rezize 'canvas' by dragging the corner or using alt+R, but I can't seem to find a way to resize the actual graphic data...

#18 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:05 AM

Atman, you must resize each frame separately by going to edit->frame->resize and then probably edit the resized frame with the mspaint-like tools since it will be blurry and a bit disfigured.

#19 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:08 AM

Ah, ok, it is likely that I have forgotten. Exporting as .bmp and using Photoshop would probably be easiest.

Icen

#20 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:10 AM

Yes, but BamWII has issues when importing the frames , at least I could not make it work correctly. The font is being seen as an animation file with sequences and probably that is where the problem lies. Generally BamWII is somewhat buggy and limited, but it's all we have. (and thank god this tool even exists).

Anyway I've uploaded the version of the mod. Atman, you could use the 1280x800 resolution since it's of the same aspect ratio as the 1920x1200 and fixes many things in the UI. If you still want to use the bigger fonts I made in the 1920x1200 resolution, then in my mod archive go to: GhostDog's PST UI\GhostDog's-PST-UI\Fonts and you'll see the two fonts folders. In the "ALL" folder you'll find each font, copy it to your override folder and it will replace the default font.