100% Wild Surge Problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 --Andraste--

--Andraste--

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

So, for some reason, I have a bug (well, I assume it's a bug) where my Bhaalspawn suffers a wild surge every time she casts a spell or uses an innate ability ... and she's a paladin. It's conceivable that this is part of one of the mods I have installed, but none of the readmes say anything about causing the PC to suffer wild surges as part of a quest. Nor are there any Global Effects that look to be causing this when I look in ShadowKeeper. All of my recent saves are affected by this problem; since she's not a caster it took me a while to notice what was going on. So I have two questions:

1) What on earth is causing this?

2) How do I switch it off? It's easy enough to fix things in ShadowKeeper when she turns herself orange, but it would be nice to be able to use Lay On Hands with accidentally casting Fireshield! Do when know what variable effects the percentage chance of a wild surge?

Here is my WeiDU log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!)
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Kidnapping of Boo by Cliffette
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #3 // "Cat and Mouse" (Bodhi hunts you in Spellhold) by Ghreyfain
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #4 // Gorje Hilldark and the Extended Illithium Quest
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #5 // The Pai'Na/Spider's Bane Quest
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #6 // Restored Crooked Crane Inn
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #7 // Restored Encounters
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #8 // Artemis Entreri in Bodhi's Lair
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #9 // Corrected "Xzar's Creations"
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #10 // Restored Hell Minions, by SimDing0
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #11 // Gorf the Squisher Fix, by Gebhard Blucher
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #12 // Item Restorations
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #15 // NPC Portrait Restorations
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #16 // Corrected BAMs and Scripts
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Corrected Character Names and Biographies
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #18 // Restored Minor Dialogs
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #19 // Restored Bhaalspawn Powers, by David Gaider
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #20 // Extended ToB Item Descriptions
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #21 // Throne of Bhaal Minor Restorations
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #24 // Sarevok's Remorse
~WHEELS/SETUP-WHEELS.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Wheels of Prophecy: v1
~EMAD/SETUP-EMAD.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Promise of a Troll
~EMAD/SETUP-EMAD.TP2~ #0 #2 // A Bhaalspawn's Best Friend
~EMAD/SETUP-EMAD.TP2~ #0 #3 // Under Her Spell
~EMAD/SETUP-EMAD.TP2~ #0 #4 // Forgery
~EMAD/SETUP-EMAD.TP2~ #0 #5 // Character Medley
~IYLOS/IYLOS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Iylos NPC for BGII:ToB: 2.3
~IYLOS/IYLOS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Install extended content (PID, more interjections, friendship, scenery & plot dialogues)?: 2.3
~IYLOS/IYLOS.TP2~ #0 #6 // How much time would you like in between Iylos' PC dialogues? -> 60 Minutes: 2.3
~SETUP-KETO.TP2~ #0 #0 // Keto-SOA NPC V2
~IEPBANTERS/IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #6 // Install Banter Accelerator? How much time would you like in between NPC banters in-game? -> 30 Minutes
~XAN/SETUP-XAN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Xan NPC MOD for Baldur's Gate II, v7
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1PP: Everything but Potions
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #1 // New Potion Graphics
~1PP_FLAMINGSWORDS/1PP_FLAMINGSWORDS.TP2~ #0 #0 // One Pixel Productions: Flaming Swords v1
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #12 // Anomen Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #14 // Anomen Flirt Pack for TOB
~CROSSMODBG2/SETUP-CROSSMODBG2.TP2~ #0 #0 // Crossmod Banter Pack for Shadows of Amn - version 6 (03Nov2007)
~CROSSMODBG2/SETUP-CROSSMODBG2.TP2~ #0 #1 // Crossmod Banter Pack for Throne of Bhaal
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Shadows of Amn
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Throne of Bhaal
~IEPBANTERS/IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Extended NPC-NPC Interaction SoA
~SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Revised High Level Abilities
~SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2~ #0 #20 // "SwashImoen" -> "SwashImoen", full revision (suggested)
~SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2~ #0 #30 // Shapeshifting fix -> Heal on shifting back to human (Default)
~SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2~ #0 #40 // Universal lesser mage robes
~SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2~ #0 #73 // Revised Armors & Shields. -> Update the descriptions.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

Are you sure it's not just the one area the character is effected, as I seem to remember that in ToB there are areas like that...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 --Andraste--

--Andraste--

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

It's definitely not that, unless the Umar Hills and the streets of Amn have suddenly become wild magic zones :).

#4 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:14 AM

When start this and what have you done last before that?

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#5 -ugly-

-ugly-

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

hey. i have the same problem, suddenly every speel i try to cast becomes a wild surge. always entangle. i tried different locations but at the end its always the same ending...

#6 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:53 PM

There is a cheat key which sets it, iirc it is CTRL-H. Have you ever messed around with this? (Also, iirc, ToB Patch removes it.)

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#7 -ugly-

-ugly-

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:20 AM

you're righy. ctrl+H changes it and i'm pretty sure i'd pressed them. another way is to end game quit bgII and start it again.... thanks for help

#8 StoRm9461

StoRm9461
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:22 AM

I'm getting this too. Any character that can cast a spell will start getting wild surges. I've tried pressing crtl-H, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I've also tried quitting BG2 and restarting to no avail :(.

#9 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

I'm getting this too. Any character that can cast a spell will start getting wild surges. I've tried pressing crtl-H, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I've also tried quitting BG2 and restarting to no avail :(.

Can you post your WeiDU.log?

[EDIT]

I saw that you posted your problem here, too:
http://www.shsforums...showtopic=41211

We should talk about your problem there.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 21 June 2009 - 05:52 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#10 Dilettante

Dilettante
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I have the same problem and can't find an answer.

I have the recommended BiG world mod setup. Mostly the game has played smoothly, but while in the Cult of the Unseeing Eye in BG2 I noticed that my Bhaalspawn character gets a wild surge every single time he casts a spell - including priest spells. This happens in at least four different maps, it happens even if I remove all my items, and it happens even if I restart the game. It is only my main character who suffers this curse, nobody else (I have Aerie and Nalia in my party). This really hurts because he's a F/M/C, and I've had any number of horrid effects.

I do have cheat mode on - I have had to use it to kill literally immortal monsters twice (by creating shapechange scrolls and turning into a mind flayer) and to teleport my party members when, like morons, they get caught in doorways and stairs. It is possible I accidentally pressed Ctrl-H...but pressing it in-game seems to do nothing.

If anybody can help, please do. I really don't want to replay the ~10 hours since my last certain save before this happened.

#11 -lovewarcoffee-

-lovewarcoffee-

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hi. Like Delettante, I apologizing for resurrecting such a long-dead thread. I experienced exactly the same problem, though with Aerie and not PC. I believe it to be an errant effect of the Troll Whisper ring introduced in Every Mod and Dog. In my particular case, I simply killed Aerie and had Anomen raise her again. This fixed the problem. I imagine that the wild surges on the PC can be fixed by pausing, and using the cheat keys to kill and restore PC while paused, which shouldn't end the game.

This effects spells cast from scrolls and items as well, so you may find wildsurges on non-spellcasters due to the ring.

#12 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hello, lovewarcoffee! Next time, please post a new topic - necroposting is discouraged. Thank you!

(that said, a game with 100% wild surges would be kind of fun, I'd think. Not very predictable, at least!)

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#13 ggallegher

ggallegher
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

I've just hit this as well. Took a while to track the culprit down to the Troll's Whisper ring from Every Mod and Dog (as it's supposed to level drain as well when put on, but good ol' CHARNAME was immune by this point and all I was seeing was getting turned green in exchange for a monstrous bump in hitpoints).

As suggested by arawn http://forums.pocket...p?topic=23350.0 here (sheesh, back in December 2006), once you've ditched the ring, editing your Bhaalspawn's character record in Shadowkeeper by browsing to the "Affects" tab and deleting all instances of "Type" 0x00000118 gets rid of the permanent Wild Surges.

For the record, it was more frustrating than fun having all my Paladin's spells and abilities, including ones from items, usually auto-fail with no explanation as to why it was happening. Having the auto-Wild Surges occur only while the Troll's Whisper ring was being worn would perhaps be the more consistent approach.