Pretty major fringe benefit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:43 AM

There's a whole lot of people, not just me, that have encountered glitches with the rendering of spell animations while playing PS:T. It can be pretty bad.

Just wanted to point out that, so far, after playing with the widescreen and UI mods, I haven't seen a single spell glitch. I'm starting to think that those glitches only happen in 640x480 mode. I'm also starting to think that PS:T was written with higher resolutions in mind, and it was forcibly toned down to 640x480 to meet the more commonly available minimum system specs at the time.

Is it just me? Can anyone else confirm having spell glitches in 640x480, and they went away playing with higher resolutions?

Qwinn

#2 Arkain

Arkain
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:23 AM

Do you mean something like this (which I experienced with my old graphic card)? I can only speak for myself but the problem was solvable by reducing hardware acceleration. On the other hand that would result in the cursor leaving some lines behind on the screen.

#3 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:48 AM

I can't say I remember any major spell glitches in my previous playthrough , but I didn't play a magic user then. I think I've read somewhere though, that PST was initially created to support bigger resolutions, but because Bioware wanted to promote BG2 did not authorize the use of the engine in higher res.

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:27 AM

Arkain, yup, that's it.

I remember the spell Call Lightning got it the worst before... I haven't really seen that spell yet in game this run-through, so we'll see.

Qwinn