Photo

Please report crashes here

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#221 -LordJim-

-LordJim-

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

Actually to elaborate a little more on the bug report. It looks as if some form of character sorting works in some small part of each map. (possibly the upper left most region. You'll notice the sorting is not broken in small areas but is broken in the vast majority of the larger areas. The crash fixes are nice. But, I'm not sure they are worth dealing with this sorting problem for the rest of the game. (it really messes with spatial understanding) Maybe I'll juggle saves between an EXE without this fix and one with as I encounter crashy areas.

-Jim

#222 -Rubicon-

-Rubicon-

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

The fix worked for me and got me unsuck from Mebbeth's Hut! Thank you so much for doing that for a lazy noob!

#223 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

yes, the fix worked, allthough i still had a few chrashes when entering another area .. when i was testing the fix ... but i also experienced the new bug :( i dont know what could be the problem, but my first thought was, that you need to change some more hex numbers - sadly i dont understand this stuff..

#224 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Some fixes were pushed to the Widescreen Mod git repository as recently as today.
Grab the lastest snapshot from:
https://github.com/v...hive/master.zip

Hopefully,
The crash when entering small areas in PST
and the "Art Gallery like" walking around crash
have both been solved.

#225 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for researching/fixing this issue aqrit! Have been holding off on replaying for a long time because of this problem...

#226 -ArdenRB-

-ArdenRB-

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I was also stuck in Mebbeth's hut and got out thanks to scient's patch on the previous page. Thank you so much!

#227 Kynaeus

Kynaeus
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

I myself am experiencing problems when exiting the Siege Tower and when attempting to enter the Godsmen Foundry's Tower during the investigation

This seems to be a common problem with people playing physical copies of the game, with the two areas in question consistently causing crashes because the game cannot uncompress the .CBF files properly.

The two problem files are AR0511.cbf (Sandoz) which crashes to desktop, and when leaving AR0501.cbf (Siege tower) which gives this error: http://www.imagebana...Clipboard01.png

Supposedly you can bypass this issue by putting the uncompressed files, received from someone with the 4CD version or a full install, and placing them in the Cache folder but I have search far and found nothing. 

Anyone else found a fix for this?

Edit: Bleh, I am a serious moron. This is spparently fixed in the GOG version and I had forgotten the one I've had installed for years and never played was not the GOG one... a gentleman from the GameFAQ's forums provided the two files I needed though! Woot!

http://www.yourfilel....php?fid=835740

Edited by Kynaeus, 12 April 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#228 -Arthandas-

-Arthandas-

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

Some fixes were pushed to the Widescreen Mod git repository as recently as today.
Grab the lastest snapshot from:
https://github.com/v...hive/master.zip

Hopefully,
The crash when entering small areas in PST
and the "Art Gallery like" walking around crash
have both been solved.

How to properly install this snapshot without the installer?

#229 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

copy the widescreen folder to your Toment folder
(not the widescreen-master folder)
so to pick a file at random...
widescreen-master.zip\widescreen-master\widescreen\core.tpa
would become something like:
C:\games\torment\widescreen\core.tpa.

get a copy of weidu.exe http://www.weidu.org/main.html#weidu
place weidu.exe in your torment folder
rename weidu.exe to setup-widescreen.exe
run setup-widescreen.exe

There seems to be problems moving saved games from old version of the widescreen to the new...
Make sure you have a backup of any saved games

#230 -Arthandas-

-Arthandas-

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Thanks, I'm starting a new playthrough so old saves won't be a problem.

#231 ponythulu

ponythulu
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:48 AM

I'm also stuck in the midwifes hut in PsT (where stuck means I can't leave without the game crashing).
I'm using the GoG version and the 'recommended changes' mods.
Reading in the gog-forum about this, it seems to be a problem with the widescreen mod 3.05 I'm using at the resolution of 1920x1080. I'm not that far in the game yet (about tot head to the alley where annah found the nameless one) so it wouldn't be that much of a waste of time to start a new game but I'd like to avoid this if possible.

If I understood this right, up- or downgrading to another version of widescreen mod would cause problems with the current savegames?

Using the 2.20 version of the widescreen mod would cause absolutely no problems at all if I installed the game and started from the scratch? If not, I would leave out the widescreen mod.
Is there another solution to fix this problem?

Also, I hope that this 3.05 problem doesn't appear in Baldur's Gate 1 / 2 when using the widescreen 3.05?

e1: nevermind, the fix on page 11 seems to have fixed the problem for the moment. I'm able to enter and leave the hut again.

Edited by ponythulu, 09 July 2013 - 03:11 AM.

#232 -ac-

-ac-

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Also, I hope that this 3.05 problem doesn't appear in Baldur's Gate 1 / 2 when using the widescreen 3.05?

AFAIK: it would occur with the BG1 engine... most people use the BG2 engine to play BG1 though

#233 ponythulu

ponythulu
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

AFAIK: it would occur with the BG1 engine... most people use the BG2 engine to play BG1 though

That's good to know, for I'm using the BG2 engine (the gog.com version with the total conversion into one game. Although I have the complete edition when the game got first published and the complete Swordcoast/NWN pack).

#234 -Meatpopsicle-

-Meatpopsicle-

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hello I'm having a similair problem with the game. I've had the issues with Mebbeth's Hut , and the Art Gallery. Luckily they were fixed using methods which have been described in this thread.

However, now I've run into the problem with the Linguist's House. The game saves then just hangs, it doesn't crash to desktop.

I've tried everything that has been mentioned in the recent posts but to no avial. I've never actually finished PS:T before and this is severly hampering my attempts to do so.

I've seen that Scient has fixed problems like this before in other posts made on other websites, such as RPG codex - link to thread here; http://www.rpgcodex....linguist.74734/ -

Now I ask, please help me!! This is driving me bonkers, and I REALLY want to finish this game.

I await patiently for someone to reply who has far greater technical knowledge than me.

Thanks.

As an added note - that anti spammer picture puzzle doesn't seem to want to process properly on Chrome and Firefox. Subseqently I've had to post this on the infernal hellspawn that is IE.

#235 phillon

phillon
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

Just want to say a major thank you to Aqrit & Scientt for their work on the v3.06b of the widescreen mod; pity that thebigg hasn't updated his mod with this fix yet. Thank you for your efforts Aqrit and Scientt!

#236 -George-

-George-

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

I recently installed PST and all the latest mods (using resolution 1680x1050) and I experienced two crashes in the first hour.

The first one was when loading that small room between meeting deionarra's ghost and the hive. When I clicked to enter the room, it saved fine, then when loading *Crash*. I reloaded the game and it entered the room fine the second time.

Then it did the same thing at the midwifes hut. When entering after doing one of her quests, first it saves with no problems then it crashes on loading the hut. I reopen the game, load the autosave, and then enter the hut with no crash.

Since these are not predictable crashes, will the hexedit to anything, or is this another problem entirely?

Strangely enough last time I played through this game it was using virtualbox because I couldn't get it to play on windows 7 without lagging, especially during spell casting which would play at 1/3 normal speed, and now i'm playing it on the same computer with no problems 2 years later with no compatibility settings checked.

#237 -George-

-George-

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

Ok my previous post was when using 3.05 widescreen, I didn't know 3.06 was released because I got the widescreen mod from the official website a few days ago.

If I open the 3.05 widescreen installer with winrar, and replace the 3.05 "widescreen" folder with the 3.06 "widescreen" folder, will it install properly? Would that be a proper 3.06 installer?

#238 Andarius

Andarius
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

So I've been playing PST for quite some time now and as of today I can't get in Finam's house anymore. Everytime I try to enter the game just stops working.

I've upgraded from xp to 7 recently and reinstalled the game and mods (Bigg's Widescreen mod, Ghostdog's incredible UI mod, Ultimate Fixpack and Unfinished Business. http://www.gog.com/n...ment_mods_guide) with only one exception, picked 80% larger fonts instead of 40% as it used to be. I do remember going into Finam's house before installing 7 and the 80% fonts but I reinstalled the game with the 40% and updated saved games as well and it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

PS: I'm using 1280x1024 as resolution.

Edited by Andarius, 20 October 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#239 Blackbeared

Blackbeared
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

Hey everyone. I'm not 100% sure if people still look in this thread, but I'm having the same problem with the crashing. At the moment I'm stuck in the  Art and Curio Galleria. Mainly the red area that was pointed out in a image.

Now I've seen the fix but I'm a complete noob when it comes to HxD or hex editors in general so I'm kinda 'scared' to edit it. Does someone have a quick step by step tutorial perhaps or want the .exe file to fix this. It's in no hurry I have patience, but it is annoying that it crashes :).

Or is there an update / downloadable fix that I've overlooked?

Thanks! Blackbeared

#240 cj_nf

cj_nf
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'll leave this report just in case.

2CD version.

A crash when trying to get back to Mortuary. I didn't try it "illegally" , so this is at least about normal dialogue way via one of the Dustmen guards.

Solution - start a new game, then load current game back. I thought this has to be about safe bif unpacking to cache from cbif (still leaves the question why the game handles it normally in the beginning and crashes when trying to do the same while I attempt to get back).

But this doesn't make much sense - starting location is AR0202.bif (2nd floor), while teleport location is AR0201.bif (1st floor). I checked - it doesn't unpack AR0201.bif too "just in case". Also there were no crashes at all while I were playing freshly started game - meaning safe needed transitions between all Mortuary floors and both ways out of the Mortuary too.

I do not know if this crash and/or "solution" happens/works all the time. For me it did as I recall.

My install is Fixpack -> UB -> Tweaks, running on WinXPsp3, if this matters at all.

Anyway, this is not critical as you see, I'm really just curious "What the hell happened?"©TNO in Tomb.