Please report crashes here

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#21 gothemasticator

gothemasticator
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:22 AM

Things I really like:

1) Enemies running is awesome. That, along with a few other fixes (thaco between classes, fear spells), makes combat less trivial than it has been. I love it. Now I'm looking forward to the strength progression fix. Challenge is good.

2) Deionarra's Truth -- Fantastic. you unlocked some stuff that adds some depth to the endgame. I especially like having more reasons to revisit more characters before heading off to the fortress. It helps the pacing a lot.

3) Every change that excises an exploit is good. I especially like the items auto-unequipping when changing factions. It makes you have to think a little more about which faction you want to stick with at the end.

4) Opening Doors -- I loved loved loved having to work to get some of those doors open. I had to pay attention to Anna's thieving skills! Great stuff. And the proper crowbar bonus makes that item make sense.

*And I like all the other fixes, too.*

Things that still need some work, I think:

1) Pendant of Yemeth -- I really like the setup and Ratbone's tale of what he saw. But the encounter still gives a very "unfinished" vibe. It's unsatisfying. I know you're working with what you've got, but the feeling remains. I'm too tired right now for any creative suggestions.

Things I'm looking forward to:

1) Luck viewable on character screen. If this can be done, it would be great.

2) The strength progression fix.

3) Making combat turn-based. :P

Love your work, Qwinn. Thanks again.

gothemasticator

#22 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, one of the things I was happiest about with the Deionarra's Truth mod was that it gave you something substantial to do after coming back to Sigil, before the Fortress. If I ever do any more mods introducing new content, I'll probably time them in the same way.

And I'm happy to hear that you considered the combat to be more challenging. I try to fix bugs whichever way they go, but I do feel the combat needs to be tougher and I hoped that the overall effect went in that direction.

Curious, what'd you think of the Tenement of Thugs?

Things that still need some work, I think:

1) Pendant of Yemeth -- I really like the setup and Ratbone's tale of what he saw. But the encounter still gives a very "unfinished" vibe. It's unsatisfying. I know you're working with what you've got, but the feeling remains. I'm too tired right now for any creative suggestions.

Yeah... as I've said before, there will eventually be an Expanded Pendant of Yemeth quest. I have what I think are some pretty good ideas for it. (Just as a minor hint... it's not -only- the evil side of the Great Ring that has an interest in an item that can capture souls and keep them from their final destination... and evil TNO's will have a -very- fun option on how to deal with it...) But I've a lot of real-life work to do, and it probably won't come out for quite a while.

Erm. Actually. We were thinking about doing this, but after actually looking at the inner workings, well... by mutual agreement of -everyone- in Qwinn's Workroom, this isn't going to happen. Trust me, there's some very good reasons for not doing that. I'd rather not get into the gritty details on this, but suffice it to say: Luck is -insanely- overpowered. Seriously. Almost grotesquely so. To display the value so that a player could recast the Luck spell repeatedly until they got the maximum value would be game-breaking in a big way. We're gonna stick with the original design of making it a hidden value.

2) The strength progression fix.

Still on track.

3) Making combat turn-based.

Heh! I'm a big fan of turn based combat myself... a game like PS:T with challenging combat ala ToEE would be my favoritest game ever... but retrofitting PS:T to turn based combat isn't feasible, I don't think. You know you -can- sorta-kinda simulate it (in the same way you can in BG2) with the autopause features. But yeah, I know, it's not quite the same.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 11 February 2009 - 02:32 PM.

#23 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

Erm. Actually. We were thinking about doing this, but after actually looking at the inner workings, well... by mutual agreement of -everyone- in Qwinn's Workroom, this isn't going to happen. Trust me, there's some very good reasons for not doing that. I'd rather not get into the gritty details on this, but suffice it to say: Luck is -insanely- overpowered. Seriously. Almost grotesquely so. To display the value so that a player could recast the Luck spell repeatedly until they got the maximum value would be game-breaking in a big way. We're gonna stick with the original design of making it a hidden value.

I thought I'd note even tho it won't be displayed, luck stat will actually "work". At the moment it is horribly bugged. I've resolved issues with items not giving bonuses, luck inc/dec from items/spells not stacking properly or even at all, and luck bonuses from WIS being skipped by PermaStatChange and exploit where you could get more than you should from WIS bonus. Just FYI, WIS is the only stat that gives a boost to your luck. The only thing I think I still have to look at regarding luck is thief specialization bonus. I'm not positive if you actually get it or not.

At some point I could probably apply these fixes to BG1 (maybe BG2) since this is an issue with IE code.

On topic of UI display, there will still be tweak that gives BG2 style THAC0. I find it much more useful than just the base.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#24 gothemasticator

gothemasticator
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

So, luck is overpowered, huh? Oh, well. Maybe hidden is best then.

Qwinn, the Tenement of Thieves -- I confess I did not try it out as a thief, so I can't comment on that aspect. But I really appreciated the difficulty of the running mob of thugs. No skirting by everyone to the exit without a fight anymore!

Scient, displaying base thaco and adjusted thaco would be great. I would actually start paying attention to the number. As it is, I ignore it completely.

Thanks, guys,

gothemasticator

#25 -sanityisfortheweak-

-sanityisfortheweak-

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

I have a serious problem that is becoming more and more cumbersome with each time I play the game: when I or someone else casts offensive spells like ellisium tears, ice knife etc the game slows down unimaginably and two things can happen from there:

1 game freezes and I have to ctrl+alt+del her ass or

2 it freezes and instantly crashes showing the "blue screen of death" for one second before restarting

So the thing is: I can live with that. I love torment. I managed to overcome some battles by scrolling away from the battlefield until the spell resolves and the animation (for the spell) ends so I can't see what's happening and for a time it was good. Playable.

But now I'm in the rubikon and the damn wizard is casting Mechanus Cannon and there's no runnin away from that! I tried to play this part through like 10 times but it always ends with slow-motion -> graphic glitches -> freezes -> blue screen + restart => crash :(

Is there any way that you can ease my torment?:)

I also noticed minor glitches with the bacground graphics (portals and objects that are animated) they are all outlined in a black square and are vividly disgusting ruining the games atmosphere and all.

I'll mention here that I reinstalled the dx for torment specifically, applied all of the Grand Master Qwinn's patches and upgrades, tried the compatibility mode, reinstalled the game 3 times but to no avail - the problem persists...and I can't believe it that my 9600GSO card is unable to run torment or something (is she?).

Best wishes to Qwinn and keep up the good work all of you people, you're doing great.

#26 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

I have a serious problem that is becoming more and more cumbersome with each time I play the game: when I or someone else casts offensive spells like ellisium tears, ice knife etc the game slows down unimaginably and two things can happen from there:

1 game freezes and I have to ctrl+alt+del her ass or

2 it freezes and instantly crashes showing the "blue screen of death" for one second before restarting

So the thing is: I can live with that. I love torment. I managed to overcome some battles by scrolling away from the battlefield until the spell resolves and the animation (for the spell) ends so I can't see what's happening and for a time it was good. Playable.

But now I'm in the rubikon and the damn wizard is casting Mechanus Cannon and there's no runnin away from that! I tried to play this part through like 10 times but it always ends with slow-motion -> graphic glitches -> freezes -> blue screen + restart => crash :(

Is there any way that you can ease my torment?:)

I also noticed minor glitches with the bacground graphics (portals and objects that are animated) they are all outlined in a black square and are vividly disgusting ruining the games atmosphere and all.

I'll mention here that I reinstalled the dx for torment specifically, applied all of the Grand Master Qwinn's patches and upgrades, tried the compatibility mode, reinstalled the game 3 times but to no avail - the problem persists...and I can't believe it that my 9600GSO card is unable to run torment or something (is she?).

Best wishes to Qwinn and keep up the good work all of you people, you're doing great.

Tried this?

There really should be a sticky because thread is kind of hidden away. But if you do search regarding problems with NVIDIA cards it should come up.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#27 -sanityisfortheweak-

-sanityisfortheweak-

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

Hey scient sorry for the late reply, I appreciate your help. I was real busy for past 3 weeks and got my hands on the fix you recommended just this morning. But when I tried to run it some sort of error occurs each time:

Posted Image

:(

I'm no programmer and I don't have the least idea what the heck that means (?!?!?). Hint/help? :huh:

#28 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

Sorry I was a bit hasty to ask you about this so I haven't initially provided the full bug report. Fixed that now.

Posted Image

Mod or admin could delete my previous post, to avoid the fuss, if any.

#29 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

I would recommend posting that on the thread where you actually got the fix. Scient didn't write the fix you're trying to apply, he just recommended it.

Qwinn

#30 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

Ok, will do.

Btw, many props for your great modes Master Qwinn, all of them are awesome additions for the core game and I found it quite enjoyable to play through Torment again with them ("one last time") :Bow: :clap: :Bow: Hope you'll keep 'em coming ^_^

I had to say this here cause I doubt I'll get another chance to do it, so there it goes :rolleyes:

#31 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

Thank you kindly! :) Always good to hear that they were enjoyed.

Qwinn

#32 -blackheartmachine-

-blackheartmachine-

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

I cannot enter the curio shop, game always crashes on loading screen. I have had no othe rissues with the game. The setup,

Vista x64
Planescape Torment 4 CD version
1.1 Patch
Qwinn's 3 mods, fix, UB, Tweaks

Any help would be appreciated.

#33 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

At any time did you use the widescreen mod with your saved game?

#34 -blackheartmachine-

-blackheartmachine-

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

At any time did you use the widescreen mod with your saved game?

No, I have nbot applied that mod.

#35 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

Have you ever successfully entered the curio shop before, btw? Or is this your first time trying to enter?

If it's your first time, try moving the file AR0609.WED out of the override directory. See if that helps. And if it works, take AR0612.WED out of there as well (that is the file for the Apothecary's, which I'm guessing you'd have trouble entering as well).

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 11 May 2009 - 07:28 PM.

#36 -blackgeartmachine-

-blackgeartmachine-

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:19 AM

Have you ever successfully entered the curio shop before, btw? Or is this your first time trying to enter?

If it's your first time, try moving the file AR0609.WED out of the override directory. See if that helps. And if it works, take AR0612.WED out of there as well (that is the file for the Apothecary's, which I'm guessing you'd have trouble entering as well).

Qwinn

No, I have never been able to enter the curio shop. I can go into the apothecary with no problem. I have already removed those files and no luck. Thank you Qwinn and scient for your quick response.

#37 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:13 PM

I'm going to try and get -all- the files in the Curio shop together (including Vrischika and Standish CRE files, etc.) So if there's a corrupt file at fault, this should definitely fix it.

If this fixes you, please don't get rid of the save before you go in, cause if one of these files fix it, I'd really like to narrow it down to the specific file.

Qwinn

#38 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:00 PM

Okay, here we go. I packaged the files up as a small WeiDU mod, so we can uninstall easily.

I uninstalled my widescreen and ghostdog UI installs, and reapplied my own mods. So these files -should- reflect your install. Note that if you haven't been fully accurate with me regarding your install history, this is all a really big waste of time, heh.

Install this like you would any other of my mods, and see if you can enter the curio. Please let me know how it goes, and please don't delete or overwrite any save games for now.

Qwinn

Attached Files

Edited by Qwinn, 12 May 2009 - 03:06 PM.

#39 -blackheartmachine-

-blackheartmachine-

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

Okay, here we go. I packaged the files up as a small WeiDU mod, so we can uninstall easily.

I uninstalled my widescreen and ghostdog UI installs, and reapplied my own mods. So these files -should- reflect your install. Note that if you haven't been fully accurate with me regarding your install history, this is all a really big waste of time, heh.

Install this like you would any other of my mods, and see if you can enter the curio. Please let me know how it goes, and please don't delete or overwrite any save games for now.

Qwinn

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately I still cannot enter the curio. Originally it always saved and when it went to the loading screen it crashed. Now It auto-saves but then asks me for Torment disk 255. I am running the 4CD version from the CDs not from my hard disk. I have installed all three of your mods, the fixpack in its entirety, unfinished business in its entirety, only some tweaks I did not install, namely the Annah and Morte mods.

#40 -blackheartmachine-

-blackheartmachine-

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

Qwinn

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately I still cannot enter the curio. Originally it always saved and when it went to the loading screen it crashed. Now It auto-saves but then asks me for Torment disk 255. I am running the 4CD version from the CDs not from my hard disk. I have installed all three of your mods, the fixpack in its entirety, unfinished business in its entirety, only some tweaks I did not install, namely the Annah and Morte mods.

I just realized I have the PST.DEBUG files for the mods. If they are of any use I could send them to you.