Photo

Pirate NPCs?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

EDIT: If you want to skip a rather long discussion about pirates, parrots and banters and check out Cason right away, go here.

Since my computer hates me (or maybe it's just tough love...), I lost what I'd written so far on my last idea (and taught me a lesson about back-up copies for the 100th time). While it wasn't that much it, along with my declining interest in the whole shapeshifting-bit, kinda ruined my motivation for that idea. Anyhow, I'm still interested in learning how to mod so I started thinking about another idea which leads me to the topic of today's discussion...

I think pirates are kinda sweet (and I refuse to reveal whether Johnny Depp in awesome makeup have anything to do with that) and since BG2 already has a pirate town I figured a joinable pirate NPC would fit right in. However, few things are more frustrating then spending time on something and then realizing it's been done before. Thus I'm wondering whether there is any pirate mod out there? Granted, even if one exists it doesn't mean I can't do mine (or try at least...  :huh: ) but taking a look at it would probably be a good idea.

So... are there any? (Of course, some general opinions on the idea would be nice as well and if people are interested, I could share some of my thoughts on the subject.)

The response on my last topic was... less then overwhelming. Now, I don't blame anyone for that (new guy posting a NPC idea? I bet you've never seen that one before...) but some response to this one would be really great. Pretty please?  :D

Edited by Lykainon, 02 December 2008 - 02:47 PM.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#2 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

I think TDD has one..

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#3 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:20 PM

Virgil from Isilven's Jailin and Virgil mod in progress is a pirate, but she's got enough to deal with that it's somewhat on the back burner these days.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#4 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

Not that I know of. G3 and such are empty, so go right ahead.

I assume the Pirate will be a Swashbuckler? The name just fits.

#5 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:12 AM

I assume the Pirate will be a Swashbuckler? The name just fits.

You'd think so, but no. I'm going with a fighter dualed to thief (although like everything else so far, there's always a possibility it'll change). I agree that Swashbuckler would be fitting but honestly I don't like that kit very much while I'm a huge fan of thieves in general.

I haven't written his history yet but I'll probably make him a former soldier who've joined the pirates which would match his dual classing.

Edited by Lykainon, 28 November 2008 - 04:21 AM.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

#6 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:34 AM

But the total amount of characters dueled/multiclassed to or from thieves in Baldur's Gate NPC's (Vanilla and Mods) is just so huge. *ahem* Nalia, Imoen, Valen, the list goes on and on. That is the main reason I don't play mods, when their class is overused. Originality is a flavour rarely tasted, but of course can be achieved (Xan). Sure, the dialog is nice and all, but when you buckle down to the hard battling, having 4 ????/Thief can hinder more than help. IMO.

#7 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:49 AM

But the total amount of characters dueled/multiclassed to or from thieves in Baldur's Gate NPC's (Vanilla and Mods) is just so huge. *ahem* Nalia, Imoen, Valen, the list goes on and on. That is the main reason I don't play mods, when their class is overused. Originality is a flavour rarely tasted, but of course can be achieved (Xan). Sure, the dialog is nice and all, but when you buckle down to the hard battling, having 4 ????/Thief can hinder more than help. IMO.

Hmm... you have a point. Although I'm not sure if making him a Swashbuckler would help since that's basically a thief who can't backstab but is a little bit better at fighting.

Anyone got any ideas on a class/kit/multiclass that would fit a pirate but hasn't been used in a billion other mods?

I suppose I could make him a custom pirate kit (not sure what abilities such kit would have though...) but that probably wouldn't get done until after I'm finished with at least the beta version of the NPC.

EDIT: Maybe a kensai? Classical pirates rarely have any armor after all... hmm...

Edited by Lykainon, 28 November 2008 - 05:57 AM.

#8 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:06 AM

kensai

:new_bottom:

Kensai are for wapanese powergamers. :angry:

The swashbuckler is really the closest you're going to get to the typical hollywood pirate in both name and flavour text. The only way it's getting any better than that is with a custom "pirate" kit, whether fighter or thief.

Unfortunately, BG2 doesn't really offer any way to make specially "pirate-related" skills. I suppose you could give him a hook (unremovable left hand item) or something...

#9 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:23 AM

I am a wapanese powergamer, apparently. ^_^

And in addition to the hook, put a parrot in his quick slot.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#10 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

I am a wapanese powergamer, apparently. ^_^

Yes. Shame on you. :P

And in addition to the hook, put a parrot in his quick slot.

I was thinking about that, too, actually. You could actually make the parrot useful by giving it the ability to scout (Wizard Eye?) like, once per day, or so. (As for why it can't be done more often, well, it's an old parrot, and it just doesn't have the energy it used to. :whistling: )

#11 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

And a pirate peg on the boot slot.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#12 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

:Tasty: Not to mention there is already a Kensai
Spoiler
mod out there. Stick with Swashbuckler, if you want a fighter/thief, since they pretty much are one.

#13 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:01 AM

I'm pretty sure there's a Swashbuckler NPC out there as well (Linvail's son or something, right?). Regardless, I'll probably go with Swashbuckler. Who knows, I might even learn to like that kit before it's over.

As for the hook and other pirate themed stuff... well, I don't want to make him too much of a stereotype so the hook and peg leg are out. I kinda like the scouting parrot idea. Might use that.

#14 witya

witya
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:36 AM

Yes, there is a Swashbuckler already, and yes, he's Linvail's son. But imo class is not that important, it doesn't matter, just one thing: he's a pirate. It's just a part of game mechanics, he will be a pirate in the story even if he's fighter/thief or a swashbuckler.
"I love myself and I have no reason to doubt my feelings..."

#15 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

True, but the same would apply if he was a kensai. Swashbuckler is a lot better for flavor though so I think I'm going with that.

Anyway, he will be recruited in Brynnlaw (more specifically he's found as a customer in the brothel) and I'm unsure what level he should start as. Later I'll probably create multiple CREs with different levels but I'd like to hear people's ideas on what the first one should be. Thus, what level is your party usually on when you get to Brynnlaw?

#16 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:21 AM

Personally, I usually do all of the available Amn quests before proceeding to Brynnlaw. I might drop a few of those in order to get to the delicious pirate sooner, though. :whistling:

#17 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

Anyway, he will be recruited in Brynnlaw (more specifically he's found as a customer in the brothel) and I'm unsure what level he should start as. Later I'll probably create multiple CREs with different levels but I'd like to hear people's ideas on what the first one should be. Thus, what level is your party usually on when you get to Brynnlaw?

Multiple CREs with different levels is the way to go; I suspect people mostly split into two camps, either doing the main quest for chapters 4-6 first or doing most or all of the sidequests (possibly excepting the dragon-fighting ones) beforehand, based on whether they're planning to have Imoen in their party.

As for finding him in the brothel, this sounds like grounds for significant friction both from what other NPCs think of his patronizing it, and, possibly, his feelings about being "interrupted." Just something to keep in mind.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#18 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

As for finding him in the brothel, this sounds like grounds for significant friction both from what other NPCs think of his patronizing it, and, possibly, his feelings about being "interrupted." Just something to keep in mind.

His feelings about the situation are quite clear in the initial dialogue (as is his complete lack of things like shame and morals) but I hadn't considered that other NPCs might have something to say about it. They probably should though... Let's see, which NPCs might react to recruiting brothel-using pirates? Hmm.

#19 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:01 PM

Jaheira. Not sure about Keldorn, Mazzy definitely would, Aerie might.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#20 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

Good suggestions. I think I need to do some "research" regarding the last two. I rarely play with either in my party (Aerie annoy me to no end and I have issues with (pseudo-)paladins).