Photo

Pirate NPCs?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:41 AM

I like how she punishes Cason in the end (she never does that in the default game, I think), though some lines seem a little off. Whether that's in general or just me...I don't know. I think everyone tends to view certain characters differently than others. :)

Glad you like that part, I really wanna keep it. My little pirate isn't the type to fall for hollow threats so I figured she needed to show she's not all talk (personally I like to think she breaks one of his fingers but I'll leave that up to people's imaginations :devil: ).
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#42 witya

witya
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:45 AM

Hmm... you could have a point. I was thinking he would have four banters with Viconia, do you think her reactions would be more fitting if I set the fourth banter ahead of these and get her a little pissed off?

Viconia is not like a handmaiden who gets really pissed off easily and to actually resort to physical violance (even if it's nothing serious). So, yes, you need to build up some tension for her to behave like this, I think.

But this is just my idea about her. ^^ I usually see her as a person who is versatile enough in verbal insults to handle a situation like this with words. Of course, it doesn't mean that she can't lose and actually get really mad.
"I love myself and I have no reason to doubt my feelings..."

#43 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:05 AM

I like how she punishes Cason in the end (she never does that in the default game, I think), though some lines seem a little off. Whether that's in general or just me...I don't know. I think everyone tends to view certain characters differently than others. :)

Glad you like that part, I really wanna keep it. My little pirate isn't the type to fall for hollow threats so I figured she needed to show she's not all talk (personally I like to think she breaks one of his fingers but I'll leave that up to people's imaginations :devil: ).

And here I suspected she was... nevermind.

I admit I was worried after the first dialog, that she was going to get beaten down in each. But she certainly beat him in the end. Especially as I understood the last dialog. :o

And I think that with a proverbial 4th dialog, before your current third, Viconia would have plenty of excuse for the ending of your last one. Actually I kinda like him...
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#44 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

I admit I was worried after the first dialog, that she was going to get beaten down in each. But she certainly beat him in the end. Especially as I understood the last dialog. :o

Ah, I like to do my research before starting things. Overused idea number five; "Character who wittily wins over certain NPCs (Anomen *cough*) in every banter". I'm trying to keep them balanced. Cason is clearly more bark then bite, Viconia on the other hand... has ways to stop people from barking too much. ;)

And I think that with a proverbial 4th dialog, before your current third, Viconia would have plenty of excuse for the ending of your last one. Actually I kinda like him...

Excellent. I'll see what I can come up with...

EDIT: For whatever reason I got a little inspired and composed a Cason/Keldorn banter. I could really use some feedback on this one as, unlike Viconia, Keldorn isn't a common member of my parties. I've looked through some of his banter with other NPCs but I'm not sure if that's enough to get an insight into his character. You'll be the judge...

~You live by all these rules and holy commandments, paladin. Doesn't  you ever get tired of it all?~
DO ~SetGlobal("Talk","GLOBAL",1)~
== BKELDOR ~While it is true that my faith and my Order hold me and my actions to high standards, it is not a burden. Just a reminder of what is right and what my god wish of me.~
== FtCasonB ~Well, that sounds nice and all but I can't even stand the thought of living a moment in a world where my actions weren't my own. To let someone else, god or not, dictate my life like that...~
== BKELDOR ~There is a difference between forced servitude and willing sacrifice, I choose this life for myself.~
== BKELDOR ~And what about you, Cason? Do you truly live life without any rules to guide you? Not even any 'honor amongst thieves' as they say?~
== FtCasonB ~Honor is what tells you to attack someone to his face instead of his back, to draw your sword instead of poisoning his soup. Honor is idiocy and in the end, honor will get you killed, Keldorn.~
== BKELDOR ~Then I will die a just and honorable man while you will live on as  a cowardly bug. I believe mine is the better fate.~

Edited by Lykainon, 01 December 2008 - 12:27 PM.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

#45 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

Your good! That seems the kind of thing Keldo would say. Cason is very... witty for a pirate ^_^ I was thinking he would be more of a stereotype, but this is great :D

#46 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

Ah, I like to do my research before starting things. Overused idea number five; "Character who wittily wins over certain NPCs (Anomen *cough*) in every banter". I'm trying to keep them balanced. Cason is clearly more bark then bite, Viconia on the other hand... has ways to stop people from barking too much. ;)

I would have to agree. It's a pitfall that I try to avoid as well. Also, I try to avoid having my NPC start all the conversations, though this doesn't always work. :unsure:

~You live by all these rules and holy commandments, paladin. Doesn't  you ever get tired of it all?~
== BKELDOR ~While it is true that my faith and my Order hold me and my actions to high standards, it is not a burden. Just a reminder of what is right and what my god wish of me.~
== FtCasonB ~Well, that sounds nice and all but I can't even stand the thought of living a moment in a world where my actions weren't my own. To let someone else, god or not, dictate my life like that...~
== BKELDOR ~There is a difference between forced servitude and willing sacrifice, I choose this life for myself.~
== BKELDOR ~And what about you, Cason? Do you truly live life without any rules to guide you? Not even any 'honor amongst thieves' as they say?~
== FtCasonB ~Honor is what tells you to attack someone to his face instead of his back, to draw your sword instead of poisoning his soup. Honor is idiocy and in the end, honor will get you killed, Keldorn.~
== BKELDOR ~Then I will die a just and honorable man while you will live on as  a cowardly bug. I believe mine is the better fate.~

I can totally imagine Keldorn saying such things. :) I have the strange habit of "hearing" the Bioware NPC voice in my head as I read unvoiced dialogue. It's quite helpful to make them sound more like themselves. For me, at least. For Cason, well, thanks to your comment (in the first post, I believe), I'm imagining Captain Jack Sparrow's voice. :D Eek!

Edited by Death Folder, 01 December 2008 - 10:57 PM.

#47 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

CHAIN
IF ~!StateCheck("FtCason",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
!StateCheck("Keldorn",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
InParty("Keldorn")
Global("Talk","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN FtCasonB Keldorntalk-1
== BKELDOR ~While it is true that my faith and my Order hold me and my actions to high standards, it is not a burden. Just a reminder of what is right and what my god wishes of me.~
= ~And what about you, Cason? Do you truly live life without any rules to guide you? Not even any 'honor amongst thieves' as they say?~
== BKELDOR ~Then I will die a just and honorable man while you will live on as  a cowardly bug. I believe mine is the better fate.~ EXIT

Fixed ^_^

Icen

Edited by Icendoan, 01 December 2008 - 11:58 PM.

Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#48 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:07 AM

I'm glad people liked it, as I said I wasn't sure if it was fitting stuff for Keldorn to go on about. I'll probably write them more banters along similar lines, especially since this one kind of ended with a tie. I'll probably have fun writing it as I kinda support both sides. I'm a sucker for displays of Keldorns side in movies and stuff but I'm cynical and pragmatical enough to support Cason's views in real life.

Your good! That seems the kind of thing Keldo would say. Cason is very... witty for a pirate :) I was thinking he would be more of a stereotype, but this is great :D

His personality is a blend of stereotypical elements and more realistic ones. As for his wit... I gave him a 14 in charisma and since he clearly didn't get it for his manners, I figured he should earn it somehow. ;)

I can totally imagine Keldorn saying such things.:) I have the strange habit of "hearing" the Bioware NPC voice in my head as I read unvoiced dialogue. It's quite helpful to make them sound more like themselves. For me, at least. For Cason, well, thanks to your comment (in the first post, I believe), I'm imagining Captain Jack Sparrow's voice. :D Eek!

Well, if I ever get to the stage where I wanna give him a voice and there's some Johnny Depp sound-alike around, I could live with that. While their personalities aren't identical, I think they would at least get along nicely (I'd say Sparrow is Chaotic Neutral leaning towards good and Cason is Chaotic Neutral leaning towards evil).

#49 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

Well, if I ever get to the stage where I wanna give him a voice and there's some Johnny Depp sound-alike around, I could live with that. While their personalities aren't identical, I think they would at least get along nicely (I'd say Sparrow is Chaotic Neutral leaning towards good and Cason is Chaotic Neutral leaning towards evil).

That would be quite yummy. ^_^

#50 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:54 AM

But is it really believable that someone who even sounded like Johnny Depp would ever need to resort to prostitutes? :D

Also, I've written some more Keldorn banter (I should have him in my party more often. If he's half as fun playing as he's writing for, I'm missing out...). I'm actually even more unsure about this one, earlier compliments aside, since I'm not sure Keldorn's world view is flexible enough to make the sort of point he does here. Anyhow... give me your opinions.

~Have you put any thought on what we discussed earlier, Cason?~
DO ~SetGlobal("CasKelTalk","GLOBAL",2)~
== FtCasonB ~I have, oh knight in oh-so-shining armor. Honor is clinging to my mind like a beggar to a steak.~
== BKELDOR ~And? Have you perhaps reconsidered the value of honor? It's never to late to become a better man.~
== FtCasonB ~But it's always too early to die just because you just had to kill someone with honor. I'd rather have the gods curse every step I take then shackle myself with honor.~
== BKELDOR ~So you claim, pirate. And yet, we found you giving money to a courtesan to gain her... affection.~
== FtCasonB ~In the eyes of what god is buying harlots a sign of honor? (This one is loosing his mind I think...)~
== BKELDOR ~I am not saying it is honorable, it's a despicable act. And yet... someone completely without honor and decency could have forced himself upon a woman and then killed her.~
== FtCasonB ~Eh, sure. I could've done that.~
== BKELDOR ~Have you ever done such a deed?~
== FtCasonB ~No, but... I...~
== FtCasonB ~Damn it.~
== BKELDOR ~I do believe there is hope for you yet, pirate.~
== FtCasonB ~Bah.~
EXIT

#51 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:46 AM

But is it really believable that someone who even sounded like Johnny Depp would ever need to resort to prostitutes? :D

Probably not. Unless he likes prostitutes. :blink:

Also, I've written some more Keldorn banter (I should have him in my party more often. If he's half as fun playing as he's writing for, I'm missing out...). I'm actually even more unsure about this one, earlier compliments aside, since I'm not sure Keldorn's world view is flexible enough to make the sort of point he does here. Anyhow... give me your opinions.

In my opinion (and view of Keldorn), it's plausible. He does have a point. Keldorn may not like many of the things a pirate does, but I don't think he's as quick to judge as, say, Anomen. He doesn't fight with Yoshimo either, nor leave if the party works for Renal, Aran Linvail, or even Mae'var. Then again, he is older, wiser and more down-to-earth. Of course there are exceptions, such as the drow...and maybe vampires, too. But I digress.

#52 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:57 AM

In my opinion (and view of Keldorn), it's plausible. He does have a point. Keldorn may not like many of the things a pirate does, but I don't think he's as quick to judge as, say, Anomen. He doesn't fight with Yoshimo either, nor leave if the party works for Renal, Aran Linvail, or even Mae'var. Then again, he is older, wiser and more down-to-earth. Of course there are exceptions, such as the drow...and maybe vampires, too. But I digress.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I figured him as well. Being a fairly good judge of character Keldorn can probably tell that while far from a paladin, Cason isn't completely evil nor unredeemable. So as a good paladin, Kelly should probably do his best to push him in the right direction. He won't suceed but at least we'll get to see a slightly different side of Cason's personality. Just because I don't want him angsty doesn't mean I can't throw in a little self-loathing with a lot of deniel. ;)

#53 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:00 AM

Keldorn 1. Cason 0.

Heheh. I like it, and it does rather fit.

As a note on the previous: "a cowardly bug", I'd probably just change to "a coward". ;)
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#54 witya

witya
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:04 AM

Yes, I agree with that too. It looks good, it's just that "coward bug", that doesn't fit. Keldorn doesn't insult people, the worst thing he ever said was calling Vico a demon as I remember.
"I love myself and I have no reason to doubt my feelings..."

#55 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:12 AM

Keldorn 1. Cason 0.

Indeed. The next banter between them, which I'm currently writing, will even things out a little. Expect Keldorn to keep being the moral winner though. ;)

Yes, I agree with that too. It looks good, it's just that "coward bug", that doesn't fit. Keldorn doesn't insult people, the worst thing he ever said was calling Vico a demon as I remember.

Hmm. Now that you (both) mention it, I agree that it doesn't really seem to fit. I'll change it to just "coward" for now and keep it open to further changes later. "Coward" isn't exactly an insult in the situation, at least not from Keldorn's perspective, just fact.

#56 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:22 AM

Keldorn 1. Cason 0.

Indeed. The next banter between them, which I'm currently writing, will even things out a little. Expect Keldorn to keep being the moral winner though. ;)

If Cason takes the moral high ground from him, I will seriously begin to question reality.

#57 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:34 AM

Keldorn 1. Cason 0.

If Cason takes the moral high ground from him, I will seriously begin to question reality.

No worries, although he tries to take the logical high ground in the current banter. I'm liking it so far but I'm a bit worried that Keldorn comes of a little stupid and overly paladin-y.

#58 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:46 AM

Keldorn 1. Cason 0.

No worries, although he tries to take the logical high ground in the current banter. I'm liking it so far but I'm a bit worried that Keldorn comes of a little stupid and overly paladin-y.

Well he pulls one over on a witty pirate, and looks to be giving a known scoundrel a chance. I say that he's neither stupid nor overly paladunce-y. Actually the fact that he gives some of the evil NPCs(or at least Korgan) and some of the neutral NPCs a chance is something I like about him.

#59 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

Well he pulls one over on a witty pirate, and looks to be giving a known scoundrel a chance. I say that he's neither stupid nor overly paladunce-y. Actually the fact that he gives some of the evil NPCs(or at least Korgan) and some of the neutral NPCs a chance is something I like about him.

I don't think it's a problem with the currently finished banters. I'm a little worried about the one I'm currently writing however as Cason attempts to prove why Keldorn's insistance on honor is foolish. What the hell, I might as well post what I've written so far so people can judge themselves. Keep in mind that it's not finished, I'm just not sure what will come next (although Cason will probably explain how he would solve the problem in one way or the other.)
~Tell me this, honorable sir Keldorn. If you had to choose between your precious honor and the good of innocent people (assuming such people exist...), what would you do?~
== BKELDOR ~I am confident that even amongst a thousand wrong ways to handle a problem, there will always be a right way that I may walk with honor.~
== FtCasonB ~Ah, you twist my words like a true pirate, my friend, but you live in a dream world of fluffy bunnies and righteous paths.~
== FtCasonB ~Let's say that an evil fighter, a really nasty fellow, wants to kill a couple of kids for a bit of fun. You're the only one around to stop him...~
== BKELDOR ~Then I would fight this evil man. There is nothing dishonorable about that.~
== FtCasonB ~Ah, but I'm not finished yet. There's a problem, you see, you know for certain this evil man is your superior in a fight. If you attack head on, he would easily cut you down and proceed to those poor, defenseless children.~
== BKELDOR ~Then I would pray to my lord for the strength to defeat my enemy and, should it come to that, lay down my life trying to stop him.~
== FtCasonB ~How noble. How honorable. I'm sure the bards will sing many a song about the noble knight who fell trying to save children. Never mind that the kids died anyway.~

Edited by Lykainon, 02 December 2008 - 07:51 AM.

#60 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

Are these banters coded for a .D file, ie, copy-paste it? If so, you are making some mistakes! If not, then you should say so, so I don't rewrite them all for you! :P

CHAIN /*** COMMENTS AND MISTAKE-FIXING BY ICEN: NO "CHAIN IF ~MyCon()~ THEN filename statelabel" :X ****/
IF ~InParty("FtCason")
Global("CasKelTalk","GLOBAL",1)~
!StateCheck("FtCason",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN BKELDOR Cason-Keldorn 2
~Have you put any thought on what we discussed earlier, Cason?~						   //Good.
DO ~SetGlobal("CasKelTalk","GLOBAL",2)~															 //Good.
== FtCasonB ~I have, oh knight in oh-so-shining armor. Honor is clinging to my mind like a beggar to a steak.~
== BKELDOR ~And? Have you perhaps reconsidered the value of honor? It's never to late to become a better man.~
== FtCasonB ~But it's always too early to die just because you just had to kill someone with honor. I'd rather have the gods curse every step I take then shackle myself with honor.~
== BKELDOR ~So you claim, pirate. And yet, we found you giving money to a courtesan to gain her... affection.~
== FtCasonB ~In the eyes of what god is buying harlots a sign of honor? (This one is loosing his mind I think...)~
== BKELDOR ~I am not saying it is honorable, it's a despicable act. And yet... someone completely without honor and decency could have forced himself upon a woman and then killed her.~
== FtCasonB ~Eh, sure. I could've done that.~
== BKELDOR ~Have you ever done such a deed?~
== FtCasonB ~No, but... I...~
=~Damn it.~ /*** SHOULD HAVE BEEN MULTISAY! =
== BKELDOR ~I do believe there is hope for you yet, pirate.~
== FtCasonB ~Bah.~
EXIT

Else good.

CHAIN /*** MISSING CHAIN ***/
IF ~InParty("Keldorn")
!StateCheck("Keldorn",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
Global("CasKelTalk","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN FtCasonB Kel-Cas3
~Tell me this, honorable sir Keldorn. If you had to choose between your precious honor and the good of innocent people (assuming such people exist...), what would you do?~
DO ~SetGlobal("CasKelTalk","GLOBAL",3)~ /**** MISSING REPETITION VARIABLE ***/
== BKELDOR ~I am confident that even amongst a thousand wrong ways to handle a problem, there will always be a right way that I may walk with honor.~
== FtCasonB ~Ah, you twist my words like a true pirate, my friend, but you live in a dream world of fluffy bunnies and righteous paths.~
= ~Let's say that an evil fighter, a really nasty fellow, wants to kill a couple of kids for a bit of fun. You're the only one around to stop him...~ /**** MULTISAY NEEDED ***/
== BKELDOR ~Then I would fight this evil man. There is nothing dishonorable about that.~
== FtCasonB ~Ah, but I'm not finished yet. There's a problem, you see, you know for certain this evil man is your superior in a fight. If you attack head on, he would easily cut you down and proceed to those poor, defenseless children.~
== BKELDOR ~Then I would pray to my lord for the strength to defeat my enemy and, should it come to that, lay down my life trying to stop him.~
== FtCasonB ~How noble. How honorable. I'm sure the bards will sing many a song about the noble knight who fell trying to save children. Never mind that the kids died anyway.~
EXIT /*** MISSING EXIT ***/

More mistakes!

Either post them as text (script like, or not in code tags) or post them correctly!

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo