Pirate NPCs?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#21 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:20 PM

I think since the courtesans in the brothel are effectively slaves, not streetwalkers or such, most good-aligned NPCs would have an issue with it, as would Anomen on both those grounds and sheer prissiness.

When you start thinking about Crossmod, you can add Arkalian to that list. (Actually, him being a pirate might be cause for more discussion).

Edited by Azkyroth, 29 November 2008 - 11:21 PM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#22 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:35 AM

Good point, Azky. But it every good NPC voiced his/her objections it would almost get a little silly for mostly good aligned parties with everyone and their aunt voicing their complaints. I think I'll leave the objections for those who would get the most upset (Jaheria, Mazzy, Anomen and maybe Aerie) and have the rest of them make their opinions known in their banters with him.

Since feedback is fun I've decided to post Cason's (yeah, that's his name) joining dialogue here. Keep in mind that it's clearly a work-in-progress and beside NPC interjections discussed above, I will probably add more responses for CHARNAME as well as rewrite most of the current ones. I'm pretty satisfied with the way Cason sounds but I'm afraid the PC might come of a little stupid currently. Anyhow, let me know what you think.

BEGIN FtCason
IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN Intro
SAY ~What? I haven't even got to the fun part yet. What has Brynnlaw come to if a weary pirate can't even spend his hard earned gold on a harlot in peace?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you. Please go on.~ GOTO GoOn
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You're a pirate?~ GOTO Pirate
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~We are here to rescue Claire from the evil clutches of Lady Galvena.~ GOTO Claire
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Pirate
SAY ~Oh, I'm sorry. Should I have opened with 'Arrh, me maties. Fetch me some rum and treasure.'? (Not that I would mind some of that...)~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Is it such a good idea to admit your highly illegal occupation to strangers like this?~ GOTO Admit
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I have no wish to speak to filthy pirates. Farewell!~ GOTO Filthy
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Filthy
SAY ~Filthy? I resent that, I can tell you that I took a bath less then a year ago.~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO InMiddle
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Admit
SAY ~You're right. Maybe the island's supreme ruler, the Pirate Lord, will arrest me. Oh, wait...~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO InMiddle
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN InMiddle
SAY ~Anyway, I'm kind of in the middle of something here. Would you mind going back to slaying dragons or whatever it is you do and let me get on with my booty?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~We are here to rescue an innocent girl from this brothel.~ GOTO Claire
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Are you just going to stay here doing nothing while I attack this brothel and save a captured girl?~GOTO DoNothing
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Very well. Nice talking to you.~ GOTO GoOn
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Claire
SAY ~How horribly heroic of you but this ain't her. (Right, honey?). So I suggest you go look for her while I go back to getting naked. I spent my last gold on this girl, y'know.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~We could use some help if you wish to come with us. I won't pay you but you can get your share of the loot.~ GOTO Loot
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Are you really going to stay here and do nothing while we go rescue an innocent girl?~ GOTO DoNothing
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Will do. I'll let you get back to it then. Bye.~ GOTO GoOn
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN DoNothing
SAY ~First of all, I wouldn't be doing nothing, I would be doing this lovely gal here. As for my feelings about it...yeah, I'm totally fine with that.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~How can you be so insensitive when a girl's life is at stake?~ GOTO Insensitive
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~If you can delay your own... business I could use your assistance.~ GOTO Loot
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Fair enough. I should be going now.~ GOTO GoOn
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Insensitive
SAY ~It's quite easy, actually. First I ask myself; 'Does this effect me in any way?' When the answer is a roaring; 'Not at all' I proceed to the uncaring part. You should try it sometime.~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO InMiddle
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN GoOn
SAY ~Excellent. Now, unless you feel like watching, I suggest you leave. Right about... now.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Loot
SAY ~Eh. That's not a bad idea. So... I join your little crew of do-gooders, help save the world or whatever and get a fair share of the loot. That about right? And if that woman we're saving wish to show a lil' bit of gratitude...?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~She just lost her husband!~ GOTO Husband
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Sure. That's an optional perk.~ GOTO Perk
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Y'know, I don't think I want you around after all.~ GOTO NoWant
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Husband
SAY ~So? That just means she might need a shoulder to cry on in addition to the whole damsel in distress bit. Double booty, as we say at sea.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You really don't have any morals, do you?~ GOTO Morals
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Good for you. Are you coming then?~ GOTO Join
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You monster! I have nothing more to say to you.~ GOTO GoOn
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Morals
SAY ~Morals? Mo...rals? No, don't think I've heard of the concept. Sounds like a thing that would get in the way in my line of work, y'know.~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO InMiddle
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Perk
SAY ~Great. I don't suppose there's time for me to finish my business with this lovely lady before we go?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~No, I'm afraid not.~ GOTO Join
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Take all the time you need. You won't be joining with me anyway.~ GOTO NoWant
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN NoWant
SAY ~You dangle such an offer in front of me and then you yank it away? If there weren't half-naked ladies present I would teach you a lesson about the hazards of such foul deeds. Now leave.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Join
SAY ~Ah, we have a deal then... my sword for your gold. Fair enough. What are we waiting for? Innocent (and hopefully beautiful) maidens are waiting to be rescued.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Great. Let's go.~ DO ~SetGlobal("CasonJoined","LOCALS",1)
JoinParty()~ EXIT
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Now that I think about it, I don't think I want you around.~ GOTO NoWant
END

IF ~NumTimesTalkedToGT(0)~ THEN BEGIN Rerun
SAY ~Really? Again? Who do I have to stab to get some peace and quiet around here?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I was just wondering if you would join me.~ GOTO Loot
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Are you really going to stay here doing nothing when the brothel is under attack?~ GOTO DoNothing
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I apologize. I'll be on my way now.~ GOTO GoOn
END

BEGIN FtCasonP

IF ~Global("CasonJoined","LOCALS",1)~ THEN BEGIN Leave
SAY ~What? I left a harlot (paid for in advance, even...) to join you and now you're driving me away?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~No, I made a mistake. I still need your somewhat-trusty sword by my side.~ DO ~JoinParty()~ EXIT
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes. And you can forget about your share of the loot.~ DO ~SetGlobal("CasonJoined","LOCALS",0)~ EXIT
END

IF ~Global("CasonJoined","LOCALS",0)~ THEN BEGIN Comeback
SAY ~Couldn't pull it off without a pirate's wit and sword by your side, eh? Well, decent (in a pirate sense of the word) pirate captains seem to be few at far between in these parts so I could join your little troop again if you wish.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Sounds good. Welcome back on board.~ DO ~SetGlobal("CasonJoined","LOCALS",1)
JoinParty()~ EXIT
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~No, keep looking for those captains.~ EXIT
END

(I'm sorry about the code-format but I don't have the time to change that right now. Hopefully most of you are experienced coders that read the above more fluently then I read English. ;))
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#23 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:53 AM

Good point, Azky. But it every good NPC voiced his/her objections it would almost get a little silly for mostly good aligned parties with everyone and their aunt voicing their complaints. I think I'll leave the objections for those who would get the most upset (Jaheria, Mazzy, Anomen and maybe Aerie) and have the rest of them make their opinions known in their banters with him.

Since feedback is fun I've decided to post Cason's (yeah, that's his name) joining dialogue here. Keep in mind that it's clearly a work-in-progress and beside NPC interjections discussed above, I will probably add more responses for CHARNAME as well as rewrite most of the current ones. I'm pretty satisfied with the way Cason sounds but I'm afraid the PC might come of a little stupid currently. Anyhow, let me know what you think.

Write one for each NPC, then code the dialogue branches so that only one or two will actually be voiced even if all the NPCs are in the party. This is what the original game did with quite a few different interjections: I think the ones with Elhan, in some of the Asylum dialogues, in responses to Aerie going into labor...

I'll read over the joining dialogue once my pot boils and I can turn it down.

Edited by Azkyroth, 30 November 2008 - 02:57 AM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#24 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:58 AM

Write one for each NPC, then code the dialogue branches so that only one or two will actually be voiced even if all the NPCs are in the party. This is what the original game did with quite a few different interjections: I think the ones with Elhan, in some of the Asylum dialogues, in responses to Aerie's pregnancy...

You're completely correct, I can't believe I didn't think of that myself. It would make a lot of sense, if the people strongly against his activities are in the party they would surely make their voices heard, on the expense of others but if they weren't it shouldn't be totally quiet.
I wonder if I should have all Bioware NPCs potentially say something or stick with those who might complain. Certain... less ethical NPCs would likely see the situation in a different light (I think both Korgan and Viconia could be fun to write in this context.)
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

#25 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:01 AM

You're completely correct, I can't believe I didn't think of that myself. It would make a lot of sense, if the people strongly against his activities are in the party they would surely make their voices heard, on the expense of others but if they weren't it shouldn't be totally quiet.
I wonder if I should have all Bioware NPCs potentially say something or stick with those who might complain. Certain... less ethical NPCs would likely see the situation in a different light (I think both Korgan and Viconia could be fun to write in this context.)

Korgan would; Viconia probably thinks it's normal. O.o Edwin too. Haer'Dalis may or may not. Cernd will be concerned about balance and say something obtuse (that's really about all there is to his writing, other than the PC being railroaded into seeing him as Selfish Abandoner).

#26 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:09 AM

Korgan would; Viconia probably thinks it's normal. O.o Edwin too. Haer'Dalis may or may not. Cernd will be concerned about balance and say something obtuse (that's really about all there is to his writing, other than the PC being railroaded into seeing him as Selfish Abandoner).

Sounds about right. All of the above (Selfish Abandoners not included) will probably be among the first banters I write (I've already written some for Viccy) since I know their characters and speech-patterns pretty well. Some of the Good guys might be trickier though as I normally play with neutral or evil parties so I'll probably have to take a closer look at them. I've played with all NPCs one time or another but some of them was a pretty long time ago.

#27 Diana

Diana
  • Modder
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:47 AM

I have seen a pirate mod - Kim the NPC located at the French community's Copper Coronet forum. Her kit is swashbuckler and she is romanceable. Unfortunately she has never been translated into English.

#28 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:52 AM

I have seen a pirate mod - Kim the NPC located at the French community's Copper Coronet forum. Her kit is swashbuckler and she is romanceable. Unfortunately she has never been translated into English.

I see. Well, I know about three words in French so I doubt I'll be able to take a closer look at her. At least there will be one obvious difference between them (besides their gender) since this Kim is romancable and Cason's idea of romance is avoid paying for sex. (He will flirt with more or less every female NPC in the party though).

#29 witya

witya
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:58 AM

You could check out some exsisting conversations with Infinity Explorer. Check out Hendak's conversation for example, when the PC finds him in his cell in the Copper Coronet to get an idea how good characters react to slavery. Actually, Anomen is not really knightlike there. ^^
"I love myself and I have no reason to doubt my feelings..."

#30 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:00 AM

The dialogue, honestly, seems a bit artificial throughout at this point. You probably don't need to be told that, but keep working on it. (One less than obvious bit of advice is avoiding anachronistic [modern colloquial] phrasing like "doing [someone]" in reference to sex).

More later.

#31 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:09 AM

You might have a point, I've noticed some of the "artificialness" myself. I kinda liked the "doing nothing" part but I suppose you may be onto something there as well.

#32 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:35 AM

Well, I sure haven't seen such a shameless and blunt character in a while. I do recall one particular case, but he's a gentleman. :) Very different from this one. Will he flirt with the PC if she is female? What kind of options would be included there? :whistling:

#33 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:47 AM

Well, I sure haven't seen such a shameless and blunt character in a while.

Excellent, that's part of what I'm aiming for. While sensitive NPCs with tragic backstories and matching personalities is nice and all, I've always felt that truely immoral and selfish characters are underrepresented.

Will he flirt with the PC if she is female? What kind of options would be included there? :whistling:

I haven't decided on this but since he will flirt with pretty much anything else with boobs, he probably should (assuming CHARNAME has a decent charisma of course, he's a rather shallow guy. ;))

What such flirting would include... I have no idea. I'll probably write that after writing other PC and NPC banter so I got a better feel about his character. So far I've only written a few flirty/semi-violent banters with Viconia and one PC banter where Cason tries to convince the PC that being a powerful Bhaalspawn that spreads death and chaos is pretty awesome and a lot of fun if done right.

#34 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

Actually, Anomen is not really knightlike there. ^^

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait. You had Anomen in your party?!?!

Get out. Now. :angry:

#35 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

Hehe... :) Someone has to catch all those arrows and spells, right?

#36 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:25 AM

But still! Anomen!

I use Keldo as my tank. ^_^

#37 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:25 AM

While love Anomen-bashing just as much as the next guy, the response to my plea for feedback has been a little slim. To show you that there are no hard feelings, here's more stuff for people to harshly evaluate. (Yay! goes the crowd.)

As you might notice, it's Cason/Viconia banter and, like the stuff above (if not more so), very much a work in progress. C'mon, I know you're dying to tell me in how many ways I butcher the personality of your favorite Drow. :D

CHAIN
IF ~InParty("FtCason")
	InParty("Viconia")
	!ActuallyInCombat()
	Global("CasVicTalk","GLOBAL",0)~
	THEN BVICONI CasVic1
~Cason, take your eyes off me. Now.~
DO ~SetGlobal("CasVicTalk","GLOBAL",1)~
== FtCasonB ~Ah, and what would happen if I didn't? Would you... punish me perhaps?~
== BVICONI ~Most certainly, male. You would not enjoy it. I know things that would make even a drow crumble in pain and you, rivvin, are no drow.~
== FtCasonB ~I can't deny that but I assure you, I can most certainly take a beating or two for a... eh, greater good, gal.~
== BVICONI ~You dare calling me 'gal'? I am drow, not some tavern wench. You better...~
== FtCasonB ~What? You go around calling everyone and their ugly uncle 'male'. I get that you could get confused in the dark, but here on the surface we are quite sure about our gender. And others' as well...~
== BVICONI ~Learn to keep your words and eyes to yourself or make sure you never turn your back on me again, male.~
== FtCasonB ~I wouldn't dream of it, gal.~
EXIT

CHAIN
IF ~InParty("Viconia")
	!ActuallyInCombat()
	Global("CasVicTalk","GLOBAL",1)~
	THEN FtCasonB CasVic2
~I'm curious about something, Viconia.~
DO ~SetGlobal("CasVicTalk","GLOBAL",2)~
== BVICONI ~I am not suprised. It astonish me that you can grasp which end of the sword to hold, rivvin.~
== FtCasonB ~Lovely. Anyway, you doesn't seem to appreciate the... directness of my compliments about your lovely curves.~
== BVICONI ~Now that, you have fully grasped.~
== FtCasonB ~But from what I've heard about the drow, your kind doesn't have much finesse when it comes to matters of the intimate nature.~
== BVICONI ~It is quite simple, Cason. You are not drow and even if you were, it is not a male's place to initiate discussions about these matters as you call them.~
== FtCasonB ~Ah, but I'm no girl (although that's a thought worth thinking about at night) so how am I supposed to express my appreciation for your dashing physique?~
== BVICONI ~That is easy, male. You will not. Now be quiet and let us proceed to more important things.~
EXIT

CHAIN
IF ~InParty("Viconia")
	InParty("FtCason")
	!ActuallyInCombat()
	Global("CasVicTalk","GLOBAL",2)~
	THEN FtCasonB CasVic3
~Viconia... don't you think I would make a good drow? Had I the ears and skin colour for it of course.~
DO ~SetGlobal("CasVicTalk","GLOBAL",3)~
== BVICONI ~For my sanity's and your life's sake I hope you are joking, male.~
== FtCasonB ~What? I'm ruthless, greedy, bloodthirsty and quite possibly a little bit insane. Not to mention I do have a thing for being dominated by women.~
== BVICONI ~Your ignorance would be amusing if it wasn't such an insult. Speak not of what you do not...~
== FtCasonB ~Oh, look at me. I'm Viconia, I'm a scary drow who can't take a complimant and secretely just want to be looooved. I...~
== BVICONI ~How dare you...?~
== FtCasonB ~Now that we've cleared the air of your attitude, how about we take care of that unspoken tension between...~
== BVICONI ~Silence, male!~ DO ApplyDamage(FtCason,2,0x0) //I know this isn't a working code, but you get the idea.
== FtCasonB ~Ow, that hurts! Let go!~
== BVICONI ~You are not drow, nor will you ever be. Learn your place, rivvin. And stay there.~
EXIT

#38 witya

witya
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:41 AM

Actually, Anomen is not really knightlike there. ^^

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait. You had Anomen in your party?!?!

Get out. Now. :angry:

Lol. Anomen is cool. ^^ He's one of the NPCs I love to have in my party. It takes effort to create a character who is so irritating. ^^

While love Anomen-bashing just as much as the next guy, the response to my plea for feedback has been a little slim. To show you that there are no hard feelings, here's more stuff for people to harshly evaluate. (Yay! goes the crowd.)

As you might notice, it's Cason/Viconia banter and, like the stuff above (if not more so), very much a work in progress. C'mon, I know you're dying to tell me in how many ways I butcher the personality of your favorite Drow. :D

Yay! xD

You know, it's a bit subjective, but for me, Vico looks a bit too jumpy in these conversation, overreaction a bit. I think we modders all end up writing banters all over again and again, it's hard to grasp the nature of a character that we didn't create.
"I love myself and I have no reason to doubt my feelings..."

#39 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:54 AM

You know, it's a bit subjective, but for me, Vico looks a bit too jumpy in these conversation, overreaction a bit. I think we modders all end up writing banters all over again and again, it's hard to grasp the nature of a character that we didn't create.

Hmm... you could have a point. I was thinking he would have four banters with Viconia, do you think her reactions would be more fitting if I set the fourth banter ahead of these and get her a little pissed off?

#40 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:31 AM

I like how she punishes Cason in the end (she never does that in the default game, I think), though some lines seem a little off. Whether that's in general or just me...I don't know. I think everyone tends to view certain characters differently than others. :)