Photo

Sorcerer spell choices?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 neostalker

neostalker
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:21 AM

I would like my sorcerer to be able to hold his own in as many situations as possible. Against mages, vampires, beholders, Irenicus... you name it.
I'm not going to solo, but I like the option. What spells should I go for, and which should I avoid?

Thanks

My name has nothing to do with personal stalking, it is derived from the Tarkovsky movie.

#2 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:27 AM

i remember a great guide on gamefaq with enlisted and explained all this
http://www.gamefaqs....le/919881/11588
take a look. one of the best i know, even if i prefer my own setting

ico_0000_FB_png.pngico_0005_TW_png.pngico_0006_YT_png.pngico_0002_IDB_png.png

#3 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:49 AM

Well, it depends. If you play with Spell Revisions, you are quite likely to find a use for *everything*.

If you are not, I will tell you what 5 of each spell level works best for me:

Level 1:

Magic Missile
Spook
Protection from Evil
Chromatic Orb
Burning Hands (trolls)

Level 2:

Blur
Mirror Image
Annagazzar's Scorcher
Glitterdust
Melf's Acid Arrow

Level 3:
Flame Arrow
Haste
Melf's Minute Meteors
Remove Magic
Skull Trap

Level 4:
Emotion
Greater Malison
Spirit Armour
Stoneskin
Secret Word

Level 5:
Breach
Animate Dead
Cloudkill
Spell Immunity
Chaos

Level 6:
Death Spell
Protection from Magical Weapons
True Sight
Summon Nishruu
Globe of Invulnerbility

Level 7:
Mordenkainen's Sword
Summon Haekeshar
Project Image
Khelben's Warding Whip
Finger of Death

Level 8:
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
Protection from Energy
Pierce Shield
Bigby's Clenched Fist
Maze

Level 9:
<HLAs>
ShapeChange
Wish
Spellstrike
Chain Contingency

Those work quite well solo, I feel, with or without SR.

That has a fairly good damage output, but can definitely look after itself. For endurance, use the SotM's Spell Trap to regain spells, and don't worry about sending in Projected Images in instead of yourself, I have found that tactic hugely worthwhile.

Whatever you do, this is the BEST Chain Contingency I can think of: Greater Malison, Emotion, Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. Lowers their saves, stuns them and then does an insane amount of damage.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#4 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:27 AM

Spell Sequencer and Trigger are a must for any kind of arcane caster. Imp Haste is also needed for party fighters. Imp Invis too.

Retired from modding.

#5 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

rather off topic but anybody have any idea how to mark some spell for a just one type of spell caster? like wild mage who is the only one being able to cast that "wild" spells
i just have a cozzy idea for mod :3

ico_0000_FB_png.pngico_0005_TW_png.pngico_0006_YT_png.pngico_0002_IDB_png.png

#6 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

I never soloed, but the only thing beyond magic immune characters that my Sorcerer struggled with was Fire Giants and Mellissan(because he was running out of spells by the end of that fight. And he had no trouble with Sendai/Abizagal/Yaga-Shura or even Gromnir because he couldn't exactly solo them). He was, however, easily able to handle, on his own, Demi-liches, Draconis, the army at the oasis, and just about anything less than magic-resistant armies(against single bosses he did rather fine.)

That said, spells, done in the order I remember them. I will of course probably not put down every spell for every level, but these are what I generally had. ;)

Level 1:
Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Find Familiar, Identify, (Friends, Protection from Evil/Petrification, Armor, Reflected Image)

Level 2:
Melf's Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, (Knock(depending on thief friends), Resist Fear, Horror(for Viekang), Vocalize, Strength, Ray of Enfeeblement, Aganazzar's Scorcher)

Level 3:
Flame Arrow, Fireball, Melf's Minute Meteors, (Haste, Vampiric Touch, Spell Thrust, Dire Charm, Dispel Magic Remove Magic)

Level 4:
Stoneskin, Minor Sequencer, Spirit Armor, (Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Polymorph Other(great on low saves or in conjunction with spells like Doom), Wizard Eye, Improved Invisibility, Fire Shield: Red/Blue, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Ice Storm, Spider Spawn)

Level 5:
Lower Resistance(Your first spell. Your best spell.), Sunfire, Breach, Shadow Door, (Animate Dead, Minor Spell Turning(only cast after buffs ;) ), Oracle, Cone of Cold)

Level 6:
Chain Lightning(an area effect that doesn't hurt your party, yes!), Protection from Magic Weapons(Invulnerability when combined with the immunity to +1 and less weapons from Hell Trials, though it only lasts 4 rounds), (Tensor's Transformation, Disintegrate, Death Spell, True Seeing, Globe of Invulnerability, Pierce Magic, Summon Nishru, Death Spell, Carrion Summons, Wyvern Call)

Level 7:
Spell Sequencer, Limited Wish(only if high Wisdom), Prismatic Spray, (Ruby Ray of Reversal, Sphere of Chaos, Mass Invisibility, Spell Turning, Summon Hakeashar, Cacofiend)

Level 8:
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting(your #1 against Fire Fiants ;) ), Spell Trigger, Wish(Again, only if high Wisdom), Simulacrum, (Pierce Shield, Protection from Energy(never actually tried this one, but it looks helpful), Summon Fiend)

Level 9:
Time Stop, Wail of the Banshee, Spellstrike, Spell Trap, (Meteor Swarm, Gate, Shapechange(if you like being unable to Dragonbreath their bums)

Level 10: (Takes one daily casting of your level 9 spells)
Dragon's Breath, Summon Planetar, Energy Blades (Improved Alacrity, Comet)

As you can see, some spell levels have some room for maneuvering, anything inside the () is open to choice. And of course you can swap out other spells as well. With the Level 10 spells I did it in the order you should take them(my opinion of course) with the () being whichever you want more. My sorcerer had 19 wisdom after the hell trials, so wish sometimes gave him a full night's rest worth of spells. For that purpose he always kept two level 8s ready to be converted to it(in case one should fail).

Also, Time Stop and Energy Blades or Dragon Breath, kills most opposition. Demi-Liches too. I might just have to play through a Sorcerer again... Hmm.

EDIT: This is without Refinements or any other spell-changing mod(save perhaps fixpacks that alter spells to what they should be).

Edited by Kellen, 28 November 2008 - 10:00 AM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#7 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

Greater Malison is best with Wail of the Banshee, as it AoE lowers saves.

I am tempted by a solo sorc now...

ShapeChange: Greater Wolfwere is great for solo, simply because you end up with a huge regeneration, with the ring of Gaxx as well.

Icen

Edited by Icendoan, 28 November 2008 - 11:10 AM.

#8 neostalker

neostalker
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for your helpful replies, now I know what I shouldn't choose.

My name has nothing to do with personal stalking, it is derived from the Tarkovsky movie.

#9 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

Well, Shouldn't Choose is A Bad Thing ™, and you should always experiment with all your spells and find what works best for you.

Icen

#10 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

Really, if you have any experience as a wizard, pick the spell he used most first, and anything else can go from there.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#11 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:43 AM

I'm not really a magic-man (I mean, Icen is a FIREBALL and Kellen is, like, the strongest mage in Warcraft III) and look at me. Just the poor 'ol Lich King/Arthas with a badass two-hander.

Nah, I don't know any spell combo's and such. Usually with my mage I just buff up <CHARNAME> and go slaughter everything with Gram, whilst Edwinee or Esirk sits back dealing insane amounts of damage with Abawatshisname's Horrid Whilting and such.

But nothing beats asking for a Limited Wish and selecting a Horde of Monsters, just to get an army of rabbits to help you defeat Melissan.
Spoiler

#12 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:51 AM

Actually, double wishing with that is bloody powerful, just you can actually survive it.

I wish for a horde and then ADHW on every creature in the area. Huge amounts of damage, but make sure your party members are not near anything else, with Sup Healing at the ready.

Icen

#13 neostalker

neostalker
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Had a great time with my sorceror, but decided at the beginning of ToB that I wanted to play a kensai/mage instead.

Now, I have dual-classed it to mage when my kensai was level 9. But my kensai part stops levelling completely even when I've reactivated it?

Dual-class character advance both their classes even after dual-classing from what I know?

#14 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

No, what happens is this:

Kensai 9: You get level 9 Abilities of a Kensai, while it is active.

DUAL_CLASSING: Kensa becomes inactive, you start at level 1 with the abilities of a level 1 Mage. (Save HP)

You get to level 10 Mage, and you get your previous Kensai abilities Back (weapons, damage ect)

You can only continue leveling with your Mage class, not the Kensai.

You were thinking of Multiclassing, which is worse for Mages.

Icen

Edited by Icendoan, 10 December 2008 - 12:40 PM.

#15 neostalker

neostalker
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

That must be it.
Thanks for the clarification.

#16 Toews

Toews
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

i remember a great guide on gamefaq with enlisted and explained all this
http://www.gamefaqs....le/919881/11588
take a look. one of the best i know, even if i prefer my own setting

Such a bad listing of spells for a solo run.

This is your best bet to solo the game or even with a party because this build covers a lot of ground. Leaves an extra spot only for a purely offensive mage or just another one to cast spells every round. With this build you shouldn't need another Mage... you shouldn't need a party actually.

Level 1- Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Find Familar, Protection from Evil, and Reflected Image. Everything is really useless except MM and FM for the hit points.

Level 2- Web, Mirror Image, Resist Fear, Melf's Acid Arrow, Knock. Useful page in your book

Level 3- Melf's Minute Meteors, Haste (summons), Skull Trap, Remove Magic, and Flame Arrow. This is a tough tree to ration out with your levels. I suggest going with MMMs>Skull Trap>Flame Arrow>Haste>Remove Magic.

Level 4- Stoneskin>Greater Malison>Minor Sequencer>Emotion>Fire Shield Red. SS and GM are the only essentials.

Level 5- Sunfire (very good for soloing)>Shadow Door>Breach>Lower Resistance>and Animate Dead. Your most helpful page yet.

Level 6- Death Spell>True Sight>Pro from Magical Weapons>Power Word Silence (helpful in a game with lots of powerful casters)> and Disintegrate.

Level 7- Project Image>Mordenkainen's Sword>Finger of Death>Spell Sequencer> and Summon Hakeashar.

Level 8- Horrid Wilting>Symbol Stun>Symbol Fear>Spell Trigger>and Simulacrum. A lot of people question Simulacrum but it adds versatility and it always helps to have more of yourself.

Level 9- Time Stop, Spellstrike, and Wish are the only essentials. I go for Gate and Chain Contengency as my picks.

ABC>XYZ indicates you should pick ABC before XYZ to lower your limitations and ability to solo tougher content. By level 12 you should have no problem dispatching a full group like the one that has Celestial Fury as your loot.

A lot will come down to playstyle. I prefer to have minions around because it helps divert a lot of attention off you. You can only make so many saving throws against spells like domination and whatnot, so I find it is best to avoid them like this. There are some spells like Haste you could find yourself commonly using to boost your summons and would rather just use a scroll, but all in all you don't need scrolls as a Sorcerer. Only in the early game will you need help from powerful scrolls and those situations can be avoided altogether or until a later time. The only spell I left out that I wish I could have is spell immunity as it makes fighting Demi-Liches much easier.

Once you add in gear like Staff of Magi, Ring of Gaxx, Amulet of Power, and The Robe of Vecna... you won't have much standing in your way for long.

#17 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

Yay, a six-year old thread necromancy!

Because nobody ever mentioned a list of really, really perfect spells, I'll just post two things here:

1) There's an excellent guide by Roman Grigoriev at Sorcerers.net. Or here: http://www.gamefaqs....-amn/faqs/11588

Read it. You can't be a sorcerer until you read it.

2) Here's my list. And, yes, it's about the best thing there is(you definitely don't want Find Familiar as a Sorcerer's spell, Seldarine forbid!):

Level 1: Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Identify, Friends, Spook.

Level 2: Blur, Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Knock, Resist Fear.

Level 3: Melf's Minute Meteors, Remove Magic, Dispel Magic, Skull Trap, Vampiric Touch(Flame Arrow and Haste are both decent choices, choose as you like - level 3 is really the best lower level)

Level 4: Stoneskin, Greater Malison, Improved Invisibility, Teleportic Field, Emotion

Level 5: Breach, Lower Resistance, Sunfire, Cone of Cold, Spell Immunity(Chaos and Animate Dead are nice, but only if you can squeeze them in instead of... what, by the way?)

Level 6: Death Spell, Chain Lightning, True Sight, Protection from Magical Weapons, Improved Haste

Level 7: Project Image, Limited Wish, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Finger of Death, Prismatic Spray(or Delayed Blast Fireball)

Level 8: ADHW, Spell Trigger, Silmulacrum, Symbol Stun(or Power Word: Blind)

Level 9: Time Stop, Chain Contingency, Wish, Imprisonment.

You really need these spells. :D

Edited by Kulyok, 27 February 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#18 -Monere-

-Monere-

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

I am an old (35), hardcore addict, that went through the whole Saga quite a few times to check diverse options ( Solo Insane Poverty challenge - no items picked up on Insane difficulty level, solo ;-).

I use english rarely, so please forgive my occasional mistakes ;-)

I have played with pure Mage, dual-class Swashbuckler (10)/Mage and many times with Sorcerer. I took me a few years and tons of cigarettes during thinking about perfect character and spell pick. 

From a role-playing point of view, best of them is the Swashbuckler/Mage (with items of course), as you must find/buy new spells, use the weaker ones you`ve already got to their best, fight some meele, find and disarm traps, open chests... Much more fun than Sorcerer, that allows too much cheesy play. 

Single-wielded Katana with additional spells 1-4th lev and +1 to AC with perk (+2AC) + DEX 18 +4AC and 10th lev Swashbuckler (+3 AC),  give you a 0 AC lev without any armour cast yet. With simple Shield spell (1lev), you are on -6/-8 AC, then Blur -9/-11, and then Prot form Evil -11/-13 AC, and with Improved Invisibility you are already on -15/-17 AC. With additional items like Belts and Rings, and Spirit Armour, you easily exceed -20 AC, which means that your Stoneskins and Mirror Images would last looong past the Prot form Magic Weapon. 

Additionally, playing a Swashbuckler/Mage, you get much more HP and flexibility in spell picks. Only then you use spells like Entchanted Weapons (at the beginning of the game), Summon Craoyns, and many other, that are not good enough for a Sorcerer. The spell pick for both is eventually similar, but it is so much more of a game in game with thief/mage..

Alwes Cat as a Familiar (99%/99% stealth and hide in shadows). This familiar is best for any other soloing Mage, it works as a infinite time 4th level Wizard Eye spell, always invisible, a perfect Scout in dungeons to avoid unexpected (read unprepared) encounters. You must only follow the Cat closely and search for traps with your character (thief), far enough to remain beyond seeing distance of enemies, but close enough to see the traps before your Cat activates them. 

as for Sorcerer - you can play Solo Insane Poverty, not using any Weapon or Armour, or even ring or necklace, simply naked, with... the right spell pick.  Spell pick will vary if you are going to play with a team, but a solo orientated Sorcerer will be also a great in a team - you just have to leave the team behind and go down alone... :-D

After reading through many FAQ and Solutions, forums, and re-starting game many times, I`ve finally setteld on these spells: (in order of acquiring)

LEV 1:

1. Blind - if success, then completely disables enemy for 10 min, enogh time for a 19 DEX Elf with short bow or slingshot to finish toughest Ogre... or Mage. A must, if you plan to play Solo straight from Levl 1 in BG 1 (after mods). Useful to the very end of the Game, as with Great Malison and Power word Blind (8th lev spell !) you lower the save throws and need to be sure, the e.g. Dragon remains blind for next 10 minutes. Too powerful for a lev 1 IMO. 

2. Prot from Evil - +2 AC and Saves to the and of the game, + immunity to Demons (also cast by other Mages, not only yours). 

3. Prot form Petrification - for single solo poverty purposes simply irreplaceble, also when you play solo from 1st lev.

4. Shield - becomes obsolete later in the game, however when you desperately need more 4th lev spells, it`s still not much behind the Ghost Armour, and you NEED it to survive the beginning anyway - kobolds arrows and enemy mage`s Magic Missiles. 

5. Chromatic Orb - only as a functional spell with it`s ACID dmg, i.e. the cheapes troll killer.

As you can also use 3rd lev Melfs Minute Meteors to kill trolls, you can choose something else here, but for me all other spells werer useless in Insane Solo Poverty (indentify, friends... i dont pick those +5 weapons anyway, not to mention buy/sell anything). Magic Missile is good, but, its function of removing Mirror Images is replaceble with Dispel Magic and True Vision (and you need them and will have them anyway), damage is only a fraction better than Chromatic Orb. Special effects of ChrOrb at +6 to save happen rarely, but... happen, and make fun :-). For example a power word Blind (8th lev) + Greater Malison + Blind (1st lev), and you can pump a Dragon with Chromatic orbs till it fails to save and... Dies. 

Remember - at the beginning you are not a 20th+ lev Mage, you are weak and alone, a single kobold can kill you, not to mention an Ogre, or the first enemy Mage you encounter. You have too few spells to cast damage spells, you`re better off safe behind Shield and using at best Slingshot (or Shortbow) and make the best of the 19 DEX and Elf bonuses (+5 to hit and dmg alltogether, and possibility to carry hundrets of arrows). Successfull Blind and the toughest enemy is as good as dead already. Save casting chromatic orbs for much, much later, and only as a must for trolls or when you have really nothing left. In spite of Poverty challenge expectation, I used short Bow at the beginning, as fighting with Kobolds,blinded Ogre or even Mage,  bare-hand being a 1st lev mage is... impossible, checked. 

LEVEL 2

1. Mirror Image - till the end of the game a useful protection, cast often as first spell in unexpected encounter as it gives you time to cast something else

2. Web - powerfull mass-effect disabling spell, wokrs against most powerful creatures, can be cast double from Minor Sequencer, making it almost impossible to avoid with Greater Malison. With minor Globe of Invurlnerability, YOU can walk and act easily in the middle of Web. 

3. Knock - for a solo Sorcerer, this is unfortunately imperative to be able to open chests and doors to get through the game

4. Blur - a +3 to AC and save, always useful, when you have the time to pump up yourself before going down to battle. 

5. Invisibility.  For some it can be some controversy here, as spell Vocalize may seem more important for Mage, but after a "real" game experience, I can say, that quickly cast Invisibility works better, since the enemy Mage cannot POINT you with his deafness spell, and other creatures stop going after you. Also, simpe 2nd lev invisibility is very useful against powerful but not casting creatures as Werewolves, Hulks, Spiders, Vampires,... cast it when surrounded and you can walk away and pump up your Stoneskins, mirror Images and protections before going back to battle. 

level 2 has too many irreplaceble functional spells to waste a pick on a weak damage spell as acid arrow or scorcher, you will do A LOT of damage later ;-)

LEVEL 3

1. Melfs Meteors - first to choose, when you have it, you should already put away your bow or sling and start walking naked as Insane Poverty Solo challenge requires. Multi-function spell, +3 physical type of damage, +3 fire damage (one meteor - one unconscious troll dead), 5 attacks/round and quick first shot allow disrupting enemy casting, even those protected by Mantle or Magic Weapn Immunity thanks to that additional fire damage! High damage - 40dmg/round allows to finish off quickly anyone. At 15th lev you have 15 meteors, which means you can apply 120 dmg with ONE casting !, AND this damage is applied where necessary  - i.e. for example after casting a Skull Trap, you need only three meteors to finish a Mage, and four to finish the Cleric, one for their familiars, one for barely living but still shooting Kobold. Simply a must have spell. 

2. Skull Trap - very high dmg, rarely resisted magic type damage, possibility to cast it nearby when surrounded by enemies when protected from Magical energy.

3. Dispel Magic (or remove magic) - when playing solo, i had no problem with pointing the spell so that it affected only enemies, and to be able to remove something from yourself is also useful. When successfull, it leave the enemy caster with a Globe of Invulnerability only !

4. Haste - doubles hits per round of your summoned creatures. 5 hasted Skeleton Warriors make an mayhem, turn off the sounds on your speakers when you let this bunch run inside a room full of enemies, it sounds lika a butchery side of hell ;-)

5. Protection from Fire . Some may argue, that Slow is a better spell here, but... you can do without Slow, while there is many situations where fire resistance come in handy. 

LEVEL 4

1. Stone Skin - lasts whole day, third layer of protection behind -20 AC and Mirror Image, a real save-ass put in 6th lev Contingency Spell (50% Hitpoints), allows to win "impossible" battles. 

2. Spirit Armour - set AC to 1 and gives +3 to Saves, CAN be cast on others too, for example your summoned creatures (by a Simulacrum of course, or after using Infinite Spell tricks)

3. Greater Malison - lowering save rolls of enemy -4 is invaluable, an irreplaceable spell

4. Improved invisibility - in connection with Spell Immunity: Divination, a real spoiler ;-), as enemy Mages CANNOT AIM you. They all just stand there confused or casting True Sight that will not work. Makes many protection spells unnecessary, all those Spell Shields etc. 

5. Minor Globe of invulnerability  - only mariginally worse than its 6th level versin, since at 4th level there are only two potentially dangerous spells, i.e. ice storm (weak, dmg over time, easy to run away) and polymorph other, that is easily saved, AND I desperately needed one slot at lvl 6 for Death Fog or Death Spell

LEVEL 5

1. Animate Dead - after 15th lev summon a Sekelton Warrior, 95% magic resistant bad-ass with plenty of HP, thaco and AC. Already a single one can clear a long passage in Dungeon for you without loosing other spells, but... a bunch o 5, improved with Protection from evil and Spirit Armour, and then hasted... just keep them behind for a moment till you disable the mage that can send them away with some Death Spell.

2. Spell Immunity - irreplaceable functional spell, change some battles from impossible into possible, as with Demi-Lich and their Imprisonment Spell. More common use: Immunity to Divination, enemy mages cannot dispell your Mirror Images, Blurr and Improved Invisibility, therefore you have +7 to AC and saves and are impossible to point with any non-area spell ! You can simply stand there among smaller creatures trying to hit you trhough -15 AC + stoneskins and images, and take care of confused mages first. 

3. Lower resistance - a must have spell later in the game, when you relay mostly on your spells to do damage

4. Cone of cold / Sunfire - in real gameplay I have noticed, i need some more direct damage spells on diffrent spell levels. Found the Cone of Cold ultimately better than sunfire, as you can point it (avoid collateral damage), less creatuers are cold-immune or resistant. Three cones of cold in a sequencer kill an enemy team of mages and clerics in one second, and this spell as a 5th lvl works beautifully against a mage protected by contingencies and Globe of Invulnerability - the globe and contingencies stay over his dead body. 

5. Protection From Acid , while Breach spell is replaceable with Dispel Magic. 

LEVEL 6

1. Protection from magical energy - allows you to gather your enemies around you, before killin em all with a single 3rd lev Skull Trap,  protects also against Magical Missile, and Horrid Wilting

2. Protection from magical weapon - allow you to survive surrounded by enemies and keep on casting

3. True Sight - most powerful and long lasting illusion dispeller

4. Contingency - ass-saver always useful with Stoneskin fired at 50% Hit Points

5. Death Fog against summons, with Protection from Acid you can walk into death fog, just have to wait over 0 dmg disruption at te beggining of every round before you cast smth,

LEVEL 7

1. Spell sequencer - 3 x Skull trap from 20th mage level means an instant death to a group o enemies, 3 x 20 x 1k6 dmg = avrg 220 dmg to all in the first second of battle, has somebody survived - you can still throw four Melfs Meteors more in the same round. Yet there are also other combinations like: Greater Malison, Slow, Web, or Spirit Armor, Improved Invisibility and Prot from Evil. Allows to have more spells before a battle than normal after Revive through Wish Spell. 

2. Project Image - a spoiler spell, that makes playing a Sorcerer boring. Sequence: Proj Img > 5 x Skeleton Warriors > Spirit armor and prot from Evil on everyone incl you > Haste on all > walk in with Image first and throw in Sequencer with 3xSkull trap or something more when you manage, then Skeletons run in and finish whats left.  All that from a single 7th lev spell, and you still have 5 skeletons walking and armour + protection on you. Should be removed from the game ;-), avoid if you look for fun. You can take Finger of Death instead. 

3. Mordenkaiken sword - in some situation irreplaceable, immunity to physical damage and blocks enemy , that can be finishe with some other spell from behind. 

4. Prot from Elements - a 75% resistance to fire/cold/electricity 

5. Spell deflection - despite all the resistances, even a 0 dmg hit will disrupt your casting, you need at leat one from this type of protection spells, this one seems most effective as it bounces off up to 12 levels. 

Level 8

1. Spell Trigger - another spell storer, 3 x max 6th lev spell, mostly 3x Cone of Cold

2. Simulacrum - to cast additional Lower Resistance quickly, its Greater Malison and Slow are just as good as yours, also Spirit Armor or prot from Evil, when you have the time to prepare. 

3. Horrid Wilting - the highest dmg, area spell. 

4. Pierce Shield

5. Power word Blind

Level 9

1. Wish - for its resotre all spells 

2. Chain Contingency - spell storer, 3 x Horrid Wilting when you know whats behing the corner. 

3. Time Stop

4. Improved Alacrity

5. Shape Change

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In effect, my Sorcerer had (naked)

1. -12 AC with  Dex bonus +4 (6), Spirit Armour (1-4=-3), prot from evil (-3-2=-5), blur (-5-3= - 8) and improved invisibility (-8-4= -12)

2. +7 to Saves with Prot from Evil (+2), Blur +1 and Improved invisibility +4

3. Resistances: Fire 125% (Protect from Fire 50% + Protect frm Elements 75%), Cold 75%,  Magic 100 % (Prot from Magic Energy), Acid 100% (Prot from Acid), Electricity 75% - and only a weak Chain Lightning goes through the Globe of Invulnerability. You colud also wear shoes of grounding if you dont play Poverty Challenge to cover here also. . 

4. apply damage with:  Chromatic orb 1st lvl, Skull Trap 3rd,  Melfs Meteors 3rd, Fireshield 4th, Cone of Cold 5th, Horrid wiltin 8th - i.e. magic type of dmg, aicid frome orb, cold from cone and fire from meteors. Pity - no electricity, but since you can remove resistance to magic dmg, use this wigh skull trap for best results

5. Summon: Skeleton Warrior (magic dgm resistance) and Mordenkeiken Sword (physical dmg resistance)

6. be protected against any type of magic, when in Improved Inv

7. Have 4 spell storers: 3x4th lev, 3x6th lev, 1 contingency and one with 3x8th lvl Horrid Wilting. These usually end battle before its even started. 

As you may have noticed, I have no damage over time spells - well, there is no time for it, thos are too slow.

Biggest problems of a spellcaster is, that , there is many diffrent enemies out there, and he/she is alone, with only one spell/round capability, and VERY LIMITED AMOUNT of spells to cast. At the begginign I used to run, hasted, with mirror image/stone skin , around the whole area, to gather all spiders and similar weak creatures in one place, and then kill them with Skull Traps, to kill maximal amount of them with so few spells as possible. Later my strategy was that to use Skeleton Warriors wherever possible, as the last the whole day and deal easily with 70% of the creatures in location. All those kobolds are only nuisance to a spell caster, who trying to kill every one with a spell, will lose all spells quickly. Also melf`s minute meteors are good to deal with multiple weak enemies, or to help your summons from behind, or to finish off whats left after a triple Skull Trap or Cone of Cold into a group. 3x Skull trap = 220 dmg on average, that can be filled up with one more Skull in the same round (290 dmg) and a few Meteors (over 300 dmg in two roudns).

All enemies you will have to kill anyway, so dabbling with various Charm/Control/Hold/Scare/Confuse spells is not effective. 

High level mages despite all protections, are vulnerable to Cone of Cold, as it is a simple area dmg spell,  so three of them from a seqencer kills them instnantly even before they start to cast something problematic, or summon something you`d have to kill (loosing spells again). 

Bosses need a 3-4 times lower magic resistance and greater malison, Liches can be killed after a simple Dispel magic, under Improved Invisibilitiy and Spell Immunity, with Melfs Meteors. 

Still, my advise is to play a human Swashbuckler dualled to a Mage at 10 lvl, as it makes more fun in role-playing game. 

#19 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:22 AM

Level 1: Protection from Petrification, Find Familiar, Infravision, Color Spray, Grease

Level 2: Know Alignment, Ghoul Touch, PW Sleep, Ray of Enfeeblement, Deafness

Level 3: Non Detection, Clairvoyance, Hold Undead, Protection from Normal Missiles, Ghost Armor

Level 4: Remove Curse, Spider Spawn, Enchanted Weapon, Wizard Eye, Contagion

Level 5:  Protection from Acid, Oracle, Conjure Lesser air Elemental, Phantom Blade, Spell Shield

Level 6: Globe of Invulnerability, Wyvern Call, Invisible Stalker, Flesh to Stone, Carrion Summons

Level 7: Control Undead, Mantle, Sphere of Chaos, Summon Djinni, Mass Invisibility

Level 8: Maze, Summon Fiend, Bigby's Clenched Fist, Protection from Energy, Symbol Death

Level 9: Absolute Immunity, Energy Drain, Freedom, Gate, Black Blade of Disaster

#20 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

Awesome post Monere.

For all those that post Find familiar as a lvl1 pick, I'm with Kulyok - Seldarine forbid!